Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
What about Beaver, the other, other goon built app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

trandorian posted:

LauncherPro is still working for me. I'm sticking to it unless another launcher will allow me to clone over my icon layouts.
Android specifically prohibits this.

That said, I've had no performance issues with LPP at all and the Twitter and Agenda widgets own. I know I could change, but I've just had no reason to.

Drifter287 posted:

Does Phantom Music Control not work with the beta version of the default music app? Everything I've read says it does, but whenever I press pause/play, next track, or anything else, it seems to switch over to the non-Music Beta version.
I thought you needed a pay version of Phantom Music Control to work with the new Music?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

trandorian posted:

How is that possible? I don't use any widgets, just icons.
Oh sorry, I thought you meant apps and widgets. App layout could be portable, although whatever launcher would have to be able to read LP's backup file. Widgets, however, cannot be be restored for some reason that I don't know.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Treytor posted:

Shameless plug for a goon run (me :shobon:) website / app combo - https://www.wheresmycellphone.com

The website calls your phone should you misplace it and simply need your phone to ring. Install the android app and it will max your ringer volume only when ringing it from the site.
Huh, so that's why I have this. I've never lost a cellphone but I've been afraid to delete this app because you just know that deleting it would preface the first time I'd need it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

air- posted:

Not necessarily a camera app, but I replaced the stock Gallery app with QuickPic. I suggest this app for everyone and it loads significantly faster than Gallery.
I'll second this recommendation, although the new ICS Gallery looks much improved.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Splizwarf posted:

I use Little Camera for taking photos and JustPictures! for a Gallery replacement. I wish it was possible to set something other than Gallery as the default for a "photo gallery" request from an app.
Isn't it? I removed Gallery entirely from my phone and haven't seen anything break, QuickPic just comes up in its place.

Edit: vvv Thanks, I thought I was going crazy there. vvv

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 24, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

dissss posted:

Bettery Battery Stats does that.

You can get if from XDA, just Google the name and the thread should be the first result.
Or step up to the paid version, Buttery Bettery Battery Stats. :v: But no, he's right Better Battery Stats is the tool you need.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

hooah posted:

Holy poo poo, you're amazing. I've been dealing with that bug for something like 2 weeks. I even tried a factory reset, but since all I knew was that HTC's People app was crashing, I didn't have a lot to go on. You just made me a little less insane.
Like Vykk said, if only you would've asked. I thought everyone knew the G+ leak was tied to the forthcoming People app and caused constant crashes when installed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

hooah posted:

I'd posted at least once here and in the old OS thread :(
Actually if you hit the question mark button under your name, you'll see that you didn't mention it here but I did see it in the old thread:

hooah posted:

I still can't get my Evo 3D to run the People application, and it's really starting to piss me off. Is there any way I can try to fix it short of a factory restore? Or are there alternate contacts-managing application? Or should I just take the drat thing in to Sprint and say "fix it"?
I try to pick up all the easy questions I see getting passed over but that was just too vague of a description. Either that or my eyes just glaze over when I hit particular words referring to things I know little or nothing about, like "Sense" or CDMA terms since I figure someone more knowledgeable is likely to answer it better than I could.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm willing to bet this issue is app-related, but god help me if I can figure out which one.

When I get a call and answer it, I get a mechanical-sounding voice that says:

"You have a call from PERSON NAME. Press 1 to answer or 2 to send to voicemail."

When I swipe to answer, that means I want to answer the call, not end up at a voice menu that asks me to confirm my decision.

I recently upgraded my Evo 4g to Cyanogen Mod 7.1, but I answered two or three calls with CM 7.1 before this behavior started, so I doubt that was it. I've trolled through a bunch of menus in various apps but haven't found any options that seem related to the problem.

Any ideas, guys?
I do know what this is but I'm having trouble finding it. Is it an Accessibility thing? Like TalkBack or something.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Hamburglar posted:

Which got me thinking... is there any app that will put the temperature and a little icon of the weather in my status bar? Basically all it will show is: 42F (drop of water indicating it's raining). Does this exist? I find I am way more likely to pay attention to the weather if it's in the status bar rather than looking at the home screen (which I never do no matter how hard I try to remember). Thanks!
I know there is one as I've seen it in screenshots but I don't know what it is.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Vagrancy posted:

New version of the Market (3.3.11) is rolling out apparently. Direct Download for the impatient here
This is a lot better at least at first glance.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

brc64 posted:

Is there anything that explains what's different? Is it just performance stuff?
I've never seen a changelog for it but let me write one up:
  • Advertised features now actually work
  • Auto-update option for all apps
  • Option to add shortcut for new app installations*
*That's new, right?

Hamburglar posted:

ah, ok. I thought there was a way to permanently have it there the same way the temperature, time, and battery life was. Thanks anyway.
All I did was Google "weather notification android" and this came up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Kyrosiris posted:

900ftjesus posted:

I'm surprised that people are worried about LBE but no one gets all :tinfoil: about MIUI, a closed-source ROM from China.
I haven't tried it because it looks like someone trying really hard to turn Android into iOS (read: godawful), the security concerns were just reinforcement.
Exactly my thinking; ugly and suspicious.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

404notfound posted:

What's a good multi-protocol messenger app that'll actually tell you if contacts are idle? I've been using imo.im, but I finally realized that idle AIM buddies are listed as available... which would explain why a lot of people seemed to be ignoring me.
Everyone swears by Trillian but I haven't used it personally. Anymore I tell people to GTalk or GTFO.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Urfdser posted:

While we're on Titanium Backup - I've wondered if there is a way to set profiles or something. Or restore only the apps last backed up, without having to go through the list and selecting them. I'm stupid with apps. I install everything that looks even a little bit cool, only uninstalling when my phone says its got no memory. So in Titanium backup I have something like 500 apps but only some installed. But the reason I don't just delete those backups, or move them off the phone is because sometimes I'll realize I want to use x app and can just restore with data anytime.

I guess if there is no option for this I can just move the titanium folder contents around, backup, flash, restore, move back, backup.
Judging by the giant "Switch Profile" button on the Titanium Backup screen, I'm going to say that yes it supports profiles but I've never used them and it might be a paid feature.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Lprsti99 posted:

Question: Is there https://www.way to make go SMS (or any other SMS app) show a "send message" popup? That's something I really miss from my jail broken iPhone :(
As someone who's never used iOS, I have no idea what you're talking about.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Lprsti99 posted:

Literally just a popup window I could activate with a gesture, with a "To" field, and a field to enter https://www.text. The idea being I don't have to exit my current app and enter the SMS app to send a text when I'm not replying to one I've just received. Not sure how that was unclear...
Well given the fact that both of your posts had incomplete hyperlinks, I was fairly proud of myself for having a general idea what you wanted. :v:

Actually, I'm pretty sure LauncherPro Plus can do what you want, if I'm understanding what you're looking for. It has this weird feature that allows you to set what the developer calls "Activities" as shortcuts. Basically what they are are hooks into each app's functions and if you choose an action (swipe up from a dock shortcut, for instance), assign it a Shortcut, then assign that a LauncherPro Activity, then go to your preferred SMS program (I use stock), you'll see all the activities you can select. On stock there's one that's obviously for composing a new message. I picked that and it seemed to do what I think you want.

Obviously this is only useful from the home screen.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Lprsti99 posted:

gently caress, for some reason my swype is reading an a to space swipe as www, somehow. What the gently caress :(

e: Fixed, also, thanks for the info, will look it up.

Oh, holy gently caress, Handcent has the popup, but it's not documented anywhere, it came up when I held the search button! :v: Yesssss
Good that found what you were looking for. A tip for Swype: you never have to hit or swipe to the spacebar, just tap A then start swiping the next word.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Splizwarf posted:

Well, yeah, if I'd made a backup. v:3:v
Wait, you used Titanium to remove apps but have never made a backup of your system at all? What did you buy Titanium BACKUP to do?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

TheJoker138 posted:

I bought it to remove poo poo like Verizon Navigation and Blockbuster from my phone.
You know you can do that for free without an app, right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Cardiovorax posted:

Beautiful Widgets is kind of buggy for me, for some reason. It keeps showing leftover old weather in the main display despite the actual weather for the day being displayed as something completely different in the bottom left. I haven't figured out how to fix that yet.

Also, neither AccuWeather nor Google Weather seem to be very accurate if you live outside the US. You might want to think about trying something a bit more local, even if it won't look as nice. I use weather24.com.
It was doing this because you installed it to the SD card.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

NewcastleBrown posted:

I have a Dropbox question.

I just moved a folder into my Dropbox folder on my phone, but it doesn't show up in Dropbox, either on my phone or my computer. Do I have to manually Upload each individual file in the folder, or am I missing something?

Kyrosiris posted:

It's worth nothing that Estrong's File Explorer can both work with Dropbox and syncs properly down to your desktop/laptop/dog.

And it's free.
Quoting this because sometimes things get lost as the last post on a page. ES File Explorer does such a good job at Dropbox that the Dropbox app is entirely unnecessary.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

AlexMoron posted:

I've actually had some problems with ES's handling of Dropbox. It seems that every time I transfer multiple files from my phone to my Public Dropbox folder, it goes super slow and sometimes doesn't get past the first file without just stalling. And these are like 300 KB files. I've kept the Dropbox app around for this reason, but I wish I didn't have to.
I thought that was fixed a couple ES updates ago? I've had that problem but it's since gone away (either that or I'm not uploading as much as I used to).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Kyrosiris posted:

No, in ES File Explorer, once you set up your Dropbox information, you copy something and then, in the upper left, touch the dropdown that says Local and touch Net, then it goes right to your Dropbox folder.

You don't even need to use the dropdown anymore, just swipe to the left or right.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Kyrosiris posted:

Well holy poo poo.

I know, isn't that loving awesome? I love ES.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Splizwarf posted:

Oh god, are you saying the Fire is running Android and locked to the Amazon App Store? :suicide:

I hadn't paid much attention to it since I've always had a boner for a Nook Color and they just did the best thing developers can ever do in my book: make the exact same thing only more betterer in every way.
Unless someone roots it and gets custom ROMs running on it, yes, you'll be locked into Amazon's ecosystem. It's Android underneath the skin, but it's not a Google-supported device and it will need to be hacked in order to do Google things.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Is anyone having trouble with Netflix since the latest update? I was forced to update it on my CM7 TouchPad and ever since it's been freezing and force closing a lot.
Actually yeah, someone was just bitching about it in another thread but hell if I can find it.

Also it won't let you do anything if you roll back to a working version, you have to use the broken one (if you believe the guy, I have no reason not to).

vvv Oh my God, that's the guy!!!!

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 12, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

IT Guy posted:

Am I the only one that absolutely loves the Swype keyboard? Am I missing something wrong with it or is everyone just recommending a non Swype alternative?
No, you're not the only one. I love it and have absolutely no issues with it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

isochronous posted:

If your primary factor in picking out a keyboard is how well you can type on it drunk because you're drunk "quite a bit" I'm not even sure what to tell you because WHAT THE gently caress.
I'm firmly in MoS's camp here, but I type well while drunk so Swype is okay for me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Cakefool posted:

A while back someone posted an app that locks out your text messaging for a certain period, meant to be used when you know you're going to get drunk. I think you guys could benefit from that more than a better keyboard.
This is built in to CM7.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

codo27 posted:

I did, and I liked it, the worst thing is that since the trial is up, you dont seem to be able to use shuffle, which is practically the only way I listen. I dont need anything fancy, I mainly just liked the album art download thing.

Seeking a simple file manager/explorer, the only feature I need is to be able to multi select files (pictures), for the purpose of uploading to dropbox. Does it exist/best choice?
The best file browser is EStrong's File Explorer which not only does root browsing but also uploads to Dropbox natively. That said, it seems like it does it kind of (extremely) slowly. I need to file a bug with the dev on that. But you could combine that with Dropsync to have a folder that automatically syncs to Dropbox (albeit only one folder and only on a schedule on the free version).

Should be exactly what you need.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

hooah posted:

Regarding EStrong's, how do you make it browse root folders? I had to buy Astro to fix the HTC spy scare business, but of course it'd be nice to only have one file browser and really know how to use it.

ProjektorBoy posted:

Menu > Settings > Root Explorer. You may then have to tell it to mount /system as writable.
And to get to root from the UI, press the leftmost button on the menubar and select Phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

spincube posted:

Just a thought: anyone know if the ICS version of the Calendar app has Google Tasks integration, as with the browser client?
I'm almost certain it does not. The Tasks API is so awful, I wish they'd get around to making it a worthy inclusion into the Google ecosystem but as it is it's just garbage.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

StickFigs posted:

Does anyone know if there is a .psd template or something to make your own custom Launcher Pro dock icons so they match the original icons?
Check the tutorials on this site.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Two things it can't do that I wish it could: 1. Modify permissions, 2. Create a Samba share

Permissions I seldom need but sometimes do and hate to have to use Terminal just for that, and being able to make a Samba share I've never needed until I found out Lion isn't so good at doing them.

But other that that, yeah, ES is something for which I would happily pay. It's doubly nice that the dev is responsive if not quick when it comes to addressing problems.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm curious why it can't do permissions. I think maybe I'll email the dev about that. In the meantime, Root Explorer can do permissions.
He's a good guy, you should ask.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

big mean giraffe posted:

ES does permissions and has for a long time.
WHOA are you serious? I don't have my phone on me at the moment but if you don't mind, how do you do it? Long press a file and there's a Properties or Permissions chooser?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes.

My phone just got home and it's been updated since I've seen it. I found the permissions screen, and man this app gets better every time I open it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

FlyingCheese posted:

Whats a good app that lets me bind the vol up/down and power keys to media playback buttons? I want to be able to double click the vol up/down to do next/previous and double click the power button to play/pause. I hear it's built into CM7 but I like Sense on my Evo3D.
I wouldn't think apps would be allowed to hijack hardware keys like that but I could be wrong.

• Locked thread