Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!
My local no-kill shelter always has a "black cat special" throughout October. Black kitties are half priced. This year though, despite that deal and 15 to choose from, none were adopted. :( I'm a sucker for black cats. If I didn't already have 3 cats (only one black one though) and a poo poo-paying job, I'd have adopted them all.

Looking at all of these pictures made me realize how Jinx would look if he wasn't such a fatass. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

ChairmanMeow posted:

At my shelter cats over 1 are $50 less! I saved on my babies. (crossposted from coupons)
Cats under 1 year are $75 here and $45 if they're older than a year.I believe if they are 10 years or older, they are $25. My Jinx was bought at a discount. The lady saw us cuddling with him and told us he'd been there for quite a few months and nobody really ever gave him a second glance. She said if we really wanted him, she'd let us adopt him for less because she wanted to see him have a real home. She didn't mention a discount until she saw we were hooked on him and we would've added him to our family no matter how much the adoption cost.

Locally, I've noticed a lot of "sales". Black cats lower priced in October. When a litter comes in, I've seen 2 for the price of 1 ads..both to have more adopted and kitties being adopted with a sibling they've bonded with. It's gimmicky, sure. But it *does* get people in there and looking around. When we went back a year after getting Jinx, we adopted an orange tiger male and a grey tabby female. I saw a momma cat with 2 of her babies who were several months old. They were listed as "Buy 2 babies, get a babysitter free". :3:

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

My friend's cat, Geki.

Ashamed of her bald spot. (something something shaved pussy)

Jinx had an over-grooming problem for the longest time. My boyfriends cat (he named her Sweetie, I called her Helga as she was anything but sweet) loathed him and while generally a bitch anyway, she was horrible (complete with bullying and ninja-style attacks all the time) to him until she passed away. While he remains the most nervous neurotic cat I've ever met, he now has plenty of soft black fur covering his fat rolls!

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

superkittenhugs posted:

The relationship that you have with a cat that has chosen you rather than the other way around is incredibly difficult to explain to someone who has never experienced it. It is such an intense bond, one that feels less like a pet/master relationship and more like a true friendship or parent/child relationship. I'm sure that sounds ridiculously stupid to many people, but everyone I've ever met who has been in the situation seems to agree. It sounds as if Prospero choose you, so I'm wondering if you feel similarly?

I know this wasn't directed at me...but THIS. A hundred times this. I love my black cat and dog that I adopted from the shelter. But Elmer, my orange cat, who chose me by jumping on my back when I was bending down to pick up another cat, he means the world to me. If I'm at the computer, he's on the back of my chair. If I'm in bed, he's forcing me to share my pillow, If I take a shower, he's in the bathroom with me, having a conversation with me. It astounds me how I lived without him before and terrifies me that I'll someday be without him. I have two (human) children who always joke that Elmer is my 3rd (favored) child who actually listens to me. I always scoffed at "crazy cat ladies" who were so deeply involved with their cats and then I met this furry little shithead. I now understand and revel in my cat-insanity. :3: