Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

This is Pepper:

I met her when I went to the vet to take my old lady cat, Amber, in for her regular blood test (she has hyperthyroidism). It took them twenty minutes to do that because Amber is an insane wildcat when it comes to the vet and I spent the whole time playing with the gorgeous black kitten they had in the cages where they put kittens who need adopting. She was the most relaxed and laidback kitten I'd ever met, just lying on a cat bed and letting me fiddle with her paws and scritch her belly and batting ever-so-gently at me through the bars. I hadn't intended on getting another cat for another year or so but I just fell in love with her. There were also other, younger black kittens around and I had in the back of my mind that black cats were hard to adopt out and if I didn't take her, maybe no one would.

I inquired about her and was told she was about 16 weeks old and her adoption fee was discounted by $100 because she'd been there for about 8 weeks. So I took it as fate and made some things happen and the next day I brought her home. The day I took her the receptionist said she still remembered when Pepper was brought in, because she'd been very badly injured. She had a broken leg, a torn up ear and air bubbles under her skin and they didn't think she was going to make it. The only sign of that now is that her right ear is a bit scarred inside, otherwise she's fine.

She's also just about the politest kitten I've ever heard of. She's very good about only chewing on things that we've given her to chew and not knocking over anything we don't want knocked over. She says hello to people when they enter the room and only cries for attention in the morning when she hears people stirring.

A few more pictures, from shortly after I brought her home:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Does anyone else's black cat have weird white whiskers growing off them? Because Pepper has one on her leg:

I'm sure she had more than one when I first got her but the other one might have fallen out because I can't find it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pepper proving that despite not being a kitten anymore, she can still fit under the couch if she's bored enough.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This is Batman.

Short-hair fluffy-tail black cat owners unite!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

She was sleeping on the blanket like a normal creature for a bit but woke up and spent about five minutes rearranging everything to her satisfaction with this result.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

My cat has officially dissolved into a featureless lump of fur.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Chronojam posted:

The silly black kitten with the unusually fluffy tail grew up to be the biggest animal in the house within two years. Surprise Maine Coon, I suppose.

e:
She's on the right in this one, too. The adult cat on the left is about 50% bigger than the adult cat in the first photo.

Snap!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Drake_263 posted:

I've been considering adopting a pet for the longest time and finally got off my butt about it.

This is Sumsu. The shelter says she's approximately six months old and she's adorable.

I haven't yet finalized anything - just going to visit the shelter to see the cattes on Sunday - but I hope she'll like me!

If you're curious about what she'll look like as a proper adult, here's a preview:

And here's a flashback to what she looked like about two months ago:

Also her name is actually Peppermint, and please send her back to past-me ASAP.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Dumb face black cats best face black cats

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, most (all?) black cats have those hidden tabby patterns; the genes for the pattern are still there, but they're black on black instead of being visible. In my experience, they tend to become less visible as cats grow and their fur gets thicker, but it's still really cute. Great kittens!

Yeah I used to tease Pepper about being a fake black cat when she was a kitten but I can't recall seeing her secret shameful stripes at all in the last few years.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I think genetically all black cats are very very dark brown tabbies. I used to tease mine about how I knew her terrible secret that she's not a REAL black cat at all.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yesss keep posting the little void in whatever threads you can. The yospos cat thread would also adore her!

Here's a spoiler of what she might look like down the track:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Ah I'll have to check that out then.

Is that cat a domestic medium hair or long hair? Quill is a DMH apparently.

Depends who you ask! There isn't really a standard for it. I call her medium cause she isn't short haired but isn't as fluffy as my other cat.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ancient posting about black cat

https://mobile.twitter.com/_sashayed/status/1320844070311309313

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

As an owner of a black cat called Pepper who I also encountered by chance and simply had to have, can recommend.