Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
When I moved into my apartment I noticed there was a feral black cat hanging around a lot. She would always run away if I came outside, but I'd catch her sunning on the stairs or lounging by my windows all the time.

Then I adopted Indy and transitioned her off the crappy shelter food she'd been eating, and found myself with a half a bag of Friskies left over. You can probably guess what happened next, especially when I realized just how cheap a bag of Target brand cat food is.

Scaredy Kitty/Black Kitty/"Indy's friend" now gets her breakfast each morning outside my window. Thankfully someone else went to the trouble of TNRing her already, so I don't have to worry about extra fluffballs appearing in my front yard. She still runs if I get too close, but now she greets me with a hiss and a yowl. Sometimes if breakfast is late she'll sit outside my front door and cry. :3: She knows to show up when I open the curtains in the morning, and returns in the evenings when I come home in case she might get a second meal. I hope eventually I'll be able to grab her to apply some flea meds at least, but sadly I'm not magic like criscodisco.

She also has one tiny tuft of white fur on her belly, just for added cuteness, but I don't have a picture of it (yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Temple Gradin had a cool passage about black cats in one of her books that my local shelter would copy and tape to cages with their black kittens/cats. Something about how black cats are more social...

Fake edit -- found it:
http://books.google.com/books?id=yXazZCCj9QYC&lpg=PA77&ots=FHlFu9eupr&dq=temple%20grandin%20black%20cats&pg=PA77#v=onepage&q&f=true

Temple Gradin is cat racist against tortoiseshells. :colbert:

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

marshmallard posted:

This story is amazing and melted my heart <3 please keep posting updates!

Aww, I'm glad Scaredy's story touched someone's heart besides mine. She's starting to come out of her shell, except that I don't have time to socialize her so it's a really slow process.

More pictures, and a story!

When I open the curtains, she's usually chilling at the base of some shrubs, or on top of one of the two mysterious, ancient cars that haven't moved since 1996:

We look at each other for a moment and then I go get ready. When I come back, she seems to have disappeared - but she's actually sitting outside my front door where I can't see her. Then I come out with her food and water, and she runs from her station to her spot under the car. All I see is a flash of black tail, and then a somewhat hidden cat:

I tell her good morning and she hisses and meows, I fill up her tupperwares and retreat a safe distance so that she feels comfortable eating. (Edit: you can see a bit of her white belly tuft in this one!)

Then I go back inside to grab my stuff, and when I leave, two furry faces - Indy in the window and Scaredy at her food bowl - watch me go.

Story time (without pictures, sorry):
Today was rent day, which meant I needed to drop off a check at the building in front of mine. So this morning Scaredy and I went through our usual routine, but instead of going to her food bowl I first walked over to the next building with the rent check. I got to the top of the stairs and turned around to see Scaredy standing at the bottom, watching me. She'd followed me (since I was carrying her food) all the way there. Then she scampered into a hiding spot under the stairs, and I walked back to her food bowl. I turned and saw her, again, trotting along behind me, in pursuit of breakfast. :3: Then it was business as usual and she went back to her scaredy cat ways.

Robo Kitty fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 2, 2011

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

I'm starting to get a bit concerned about my stray cat's behavior (see my previous posts in this thread for backstory). She was already hanging around outside my apartment a lot but now she seems to be there *all the time* when I'm home, even when it's dark out and the windows are closed. She just sits outside the window and stares...and stares...and stares. Sometimes she'll hop up on this ledge outside the window by my bed and stare in almost directly at eye level with me. This is driving my cat crazy, who runs around trying to get the best vantage point, making concerned and frustrated noises and generally trying to stare down the stray cat. Sometimes they'll sit on either side of the front door and meow at each other. The stray cat has even meowed at me through the window, even after she's been fed. What is going on with this cat? She still runs if I get too close and definitely doesn't want to come in or be petted. She just wants to stare. :catstare: And it's kind of creepy.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

The big Guide to Housecat Coat Colors and Patterns pdf has a "brindled bicolor" under the "Freak patterns, Seen in a very few cases, usually due to chance mutation" section. It describes the pattern as a "Tortoiseshell pattern where the patches that should be red are white, as if the red pigment couldn't be produced." In other words, it seems like some kind of genetic mutation that completely turned off the red pigment production. (Makes sense, given that white color is actually the suppression of the expression of a color gene.)

In other words, that is a very unusual, very special cat. :3: And very cute too.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

What a lovely tripod he is! My cat has this same toy. It's one of her most favorite things in the world, aside from food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

My grandmother's name is Gladys. Allow me therefore to suggest her sisters' (my great-aunts) names: Rosemary, Jeanne, Gloria.

Ethel is another good one.