Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
This thread has been disappointingly dead lately, and my brother just sent me a photo of the family cat, so I may as well post:

This is Cheeky Chops (Or Cheeky, as we call him). He is a bit (A large bit) of a bastard. He will happily flop on his back invitingly around you. Do not be tempted. This is a trap. He will use any attempt to rub his belly as an excuse to bring all four sets of claws and his teeth to bear upon your poor soft, tender flesh. He has even deliberately rolled and shifted while I was petting him to make sure my hand came into contact with his belly so he could maim me.

He enjoys being held, sleeping up on top of the shelves, and occasionally beating up the family dog when he gets yappy.

Also, the little bastard likes going after my hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

YeahTubaMike posted:

Black cats are so beautiful. :unsmith: I wanted to adopt another all-black cat after my first cat died, but I thought it would be too creepy, like I was trying to replace him.
A cat can never be replaced. You will never have a kitty like the one you lost.

This is okay. You get to meet and befriend a whole new kitty, who you will love just as deeply. It is no betrayal to give a new kitty a home when your home has a cat shaped hole in it. It is just ensuring another kitty gets the love and care they deserve.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well, you are getting up there in years. She's just being a responsible human owner.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
My brother just sent me a photo of the family cat, and I have to share:

This is Cheeky Chops and he is four years old. He is a very friendly guy, and is always extremely happy to see me, which has not been often since the pandemic started. Last time (Christmas) he was so keen he rubbed his head up against my side hard enough it felt like he was trying to burrow inside, and kept it up for ten minutes before finally accepting I was real. His belly is a trap and he keeps us on our toes by rolling over under our hands, then springing the trap. So I guess he is also something of a bastard (Redundant, I know, given him being a cat).

Edit: Bonus pic.

Pickled Tink fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 26, 2021

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
My father got home today from having his hip replaced. He needed an extra cushion from outside due to his problems but it was slightly damp, so it was brought inside and set on a table in the living room. Being the helpful cat he is, Cheeky decided to do his part:

Pictured above: Cheeky happily lending his body heat to dry a cushion for my dear old dad. Such a good kitty. I can't understand how he would be a little upset about it.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Please enjoy a photo of my family's cat, Cheeky, vaguely amused at the silly human pointing a phone at him.
(My brother keeps sending me these photos. They keep me sane in my personal catless hell)

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yesterday Cheeky saw a lizard outside. He wanted it.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
My brother sent me yet another photo of Cheeky that I must share:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

BalloonFish posted:

After 48hrs in the house our new foster kitten is settling in well:

Followed quickly by settling down onto the power button and switching off the laptop:

You should foster fail this kitten immediately. Obviously they belong with you. I certainly would not be able to let the little one go after that.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
My family's cat, Cheeky, systematically destroys every box he gets given. It takes a few weeks, but it is chewing and shredding until it ends up being a flat piece of cardboard and my parents toss it in the recycling.

My parents have set up a bunch of them near the curtains as sacrifices to appease the cat god so he will refrain from destroying the curtains.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

My brother sent another photo of Cheeky, in his natural environment atop the bookshelf, where he can stare at everyone in the kitchen and at the dinner table. It is also the perfect perch for him to see when my mother leaves her computer chair so he can steal it.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cheeky here looking innocent and exposing the forbidden fluff. As bait. The fiend!

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pepper could result in some hilarious deliberate misunderstandings at the dinner table, so of the two that would be my choice.

She is a beautiful cat and I am glad yet another goon has succumbed to a feline infiltrator. May you have many years of being catted without mercy.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hasturtium posted:

Pickle, everyone. Everyone, Pickle. She’s fourteen years old and has cruised into her dotage with bad teeth but no other signs of trouble.

Excellent cat, but does that box behind her actually say "Local and Nutritious Boots"?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
My brother has covid (He'll be fine) so he is sending me more photos of the cat lately:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Cheeky and his well loved scratching post/bed/dinner area (His food bowl is situated at the top to keep it out of reach of the dog)

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hasturtium posted:

Here are my two goons snuggling up a decade ago. Ozzy the White passed last year, and I’m wondering whether my 14 year old Pickle would benefit from a kitten buddy this late in life.
If your cat gets along with other cats, then getting them a new cat to be friends with is something you should do. That being said, I am hyper-partisan when it comes to the question of "How many cats?" and will always advocate for as many cats as your household can support so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
His Royal Highness Cheeky will hear your petition.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
As with all kitty tech support, you should apply your hand to the belly and make circular motions until the motor starts running or sharp objects come out.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
There is an obvious solution here. Turn the box over and cut a hole in its side. The kitty can now hide under the box.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
From atop the shelves, Cheeky is always watching:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

rye on white posted:

got a kitten today!

As a general rule, it is best to ensure that you have at least two cats. It gives them someone else to play with while you are away or busy which helps prevent them from doing thinks like destroying your stuff out of boredom/to get your attention.

Unless you already have a cat, I suggest adding a second kitten. It is not really much more work than one and it is much more rewarding. Plus it means even more adorable cat photos.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Cheeky showing off the forbidden bellyfluff:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Cheeky has found a box small enough for him:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
A few days ago I posted a photo of Cheeky enjoying his small cozy shoebox.

My brother just sent me an update photo:

To prospective cat owners: Note how the curtains and screen door are unclawed. This is because the cardboard box acts as a sacrificial anode, being destroyed by the cat preferentially to your more important things. Cats love them some cardboard, and so long as you provide it as a convenient thing, they will shred the poo poo out of that instead of your more expensive and presentable things.

This is the joint most important cat advice you can get, alongside "Get two cats, not one".

Pickled Tink fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 9, 2023

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
My brother sent me a photo of Cheeky ambivalently tolerating the presence the family dog, Tiger, and I felt it only fair that I share it with you all:

There have been scuffles between the two, almost always the fault of the dog not realising he is far smaller than the cat and seeking to assert dominance when Cheeky could not give a gently caress if he tried.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
He's getting old. Happens to the best of us. I am sure he would insist it is a mark of distiguishment.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
My brother caught Cheeky in The Forbidden Chair this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hasturtium posted:

Well, since you *asked.* My 16 year old chubby baby.

I honestly do not understand how you managed to take that picture. The urge I feel to hug that cat is irresistible and it is just a photo of them.

Xenomrph posted:

Today I learned that my ALLEGEDLY black cat has a handful of white hairs on her back.

I feel betrayed and lied to.

But it’s okay.

I have black spraypaint.

I can fix this.
The occasional white hair is acceptable. Age, illness, or simply something going wrong in a follicle are all handy excuses for individual white hairs. As a general rule, if a cat doesn't give a gently caress about a few hairs, then you shouldn't either. It'll all eventually end up on your clothing and inside your computer eventually.