Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Well, are you?

Cats Protection in the UK is one of the main cat rehoming organisations, and they have enormous problems finding new homes for black cats. Whether it's because people think they're boring or unlucky or what, they're trying to raise awareness and find new homes for the unwanted black moggies.

I know there are loads of cat crazies on PI, so I thought I'd start a black cat appreciation thread. Post your black cats past and present, favourite pics of black cats, and if you want, get involved in the Cats Protection campaign by tweeting with their hashtag: #CPBlackCats

There's more info about Black Cat Awareness Day here. I'm not in any way associated with Cats Protection, just thought it was a shame there's so much cat racism going around.

Here's my favourite black cat to start us off - the forums' very own Office Cat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Apple Jax posted:

Ah! That's my cat!

That is Samson, Business Cat's 'brother'. My BOYFRIEND owns business cat, AKA Emilio and I own Samson (we all live together) and he sadly never gets the spotlight like Emilio does on the internet. You have warmed my heart, marshmallard, thank you for placing him in the OP.

I thought Business Cat looked different in that photo, but decided it was an improvement! Hello Samson, you are very handsome.

Robo Kitty posted:

Scaredy Kitty/Black Kitty/"Indy's friend" now gets her breakfast each morning outside my window. Thankfully someone else went to the trouble of TNRing her already, so I don't have to worry about extra fluffballs appearing in my front yard. She still runs if I get too close, but now she greets me with a hiss and a yowl. Sometimes if breakfast is late she'll sit outside my front door and cry. :3: She knows to show up when I open the curtains in the morning, and returns in the evenings when I come home in case she might get a second meal. I hope eventually I'll be able to grab her to apply some flea meds at least, but sadly I'm not magic like criscodisco.

This story is amazing and melted my heart <3 please keep posting updates!

In other news, are there any kickass names for black cats? I remember someone called the black cat in their litter Token, which was pretty funny. I think Dark Mark, Vince Noir and Nibbler would be funny too - anyone got better suggestions?

Please keep the photos of your gorgeous black moggies coming :3:

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Pics! (these aren't my cats, I just like black ones)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What's the policy of cats that are half-black? Both of mine are tuxedo variations that also have a hard time being adopted because black/white cats are "boring".

Can this thread be for tuxedo kitties too?

Black and white cats totally count, the shelter said they have trouble rehoming them too (although all-black cats are the hardest).

Tuxedo away!

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Robo Kitty posted:

Aww, I'm glad Scaredy's story touched someone's heart besides mine. She's starting to come out of her shell, except that I don't have time to socialize her so it's a really slow process.

More pictures, and a story!

When I open the curtains, she's usually chilling at the base of some shrubs, or on top of one of the two mysterious, ancient cars that haven't moved since 1996:

We look at each other for a moment and then I go get ready. When I come back, she seems to have disappeared - but she's actually sitting outside my front door where I can't see her. Then I come out with her food and water, and she runs from her station to her spot under the car. All I see is a flash of black tail, and then a somewhat hidden cat:

I tell her good morning and she hisses and meows, I fill up her tupperwares and retreat a safe distance so that she feels comfortable eating. (Edit: you can see a bit of her white belly tuft in this one!)

Then I go back inside to grab my stuff, and when I leave, two furry faces - Indy in the window and Scaredy at her food bowl - watch me go.

Story time (without pictures, sorry):
Today was rent day, which meant I needed to drop off a check at the building in front of mine. So this morning Scaredy and I went through our usual routine, but instead of going to her food bowl I first walked over to the next building with the rent check. I got to the top of the stairs and turned around to see Scaredy standing at the bottom, watching me. She'd followed me (since I was carrying her food) all the way there. Then she scampered into a hiding spot under the stairs, and I walked back to her food bowl. I turned and saw her, again, trotting along behind me, in pursuit of breakfast. :3: Then it was business as usual and she went back to her scaredy cat ways.

Is there a thread? We need a thread.

ChairmanMeow posted:

I don't discriminate based on color (or size)

Congratulations, you are officially certified Not A Cat Racist. I think there should be some sort of collectable badge or something for everyone with more than one race of cat.

I qualify, I've got a white one and a tabby.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Absolute Evil posted:

My local no-kill shelter always has a "black cat special" throughout October. Black kitties are half priced. This year though, despite that deal and 15 to choose from, none were adopted. :( I'm a sucker for black cats. If I didn't already have 3 cats (only one black one though) and a poo poo-paying job, I'd have adopted them all.

Looking at all of these pictures made me realize how Jinx would look if he wasn't such a fatass. :3:

This makes me sad. Half-price cats should never happen. Who seriously makes the decision to adopt a cat for life based on the initial adoption price? :(

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Abbeh posted:

Shenanigans!

Is the one on the right tail-less? Or is it just the angle?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Edwardian posted:

This is Captain Biteypants. He's a long-haired tuxedo kitty; my eldest daughter found him as a kitten, and he's been terrorizing the family ever since. No ankles within a paw swipe of the bedskirt are safe.

The stair post is his usual roost. He will also take a swipe at you as you walk by.
(When we found him, some jerk had declawed him and them abandoned him. The worst of his swipe is his bony pink toepads -- but they are well-covered with toe floof.)

Oh my god! The name, the face, the fur - I LOVE this cat.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

This picture is AMAZING.

I love this thread. People, keep posting your black cat pics. Doesn't matter if you've already posted your cat in here - we need lots and lots of gorgeous black cat photos :)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Saw this cat on Cats Protection North London's Facebook page:

Look at those eyes!

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Trin Tragula posted:

Jesus H Christ if ever I get any money I'm going to have to block Cats Protection or else I'm going to adopt everything :ughh:

I definitely have this problem. I follow my local branch on Facebook and every time they post a cat that needs a home I'm like waaaaaaaant

But it's worth following them because they also post stuff like this GORGEOUS 9-year-old cat who needs an inner ear operation, so I'm helping them raise donations for her.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Dust Radio posted:

This is Chaplin. He was rescued the same day we picked up our poly-cat. He reached his paw through the cage and patted my husband on the back, and upon noticing the euthanasia order stuck to his cage for the next day, we had to take him. He'd been there for 4 months; since he was 5 weeks old. He'd been chased under a car and into the engine compartment, where he burned all the hair and a lot of skin off his head, leaving him prone to seizures for the next few months. Because he'd been in a cage for so long, his feet are splayed and he sashays rather than walks, so he became Chaplin.

Jesus loving christ, this is simultaneously the saddest and happiest thing I've ever read.

gently caress I think I'm going to cry. Please post more pics of Chaplin being happy :(

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

notmandatory posted:

Fatasses in the sun:

Aww! You don't often see fat black cats for some reason, or at least I always think of them as sleek and skinny.

I love this picture!

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
How is Marvel not in this thread yet? :P

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

cptn_dr posted:

Does Mini count as a Black Cat? He's got a bit of grey and a white bib on him... :ohdear:

Well, even if he doesn't count as a black cat, he is my Cat and I love him dearly. We got him from a work colleague of my mum's, and he was the smallest kitten in the litter. He has since grown up to be very big- he weighs about 6 kgs now!

He likes getting into the rubbish bin, which could explain why he's so big.

And since Tuxedo Cats are allowed, here's Kaylee.

We got her from the SPCA a few years ago, and she is the sweetest cat. She hates being picked up, and isn't very bright, but when she feels like cuddles, she won't leave you alone.
Edit: She's now asleep at the end of my bed and is snoring in a snuffly way :3:

He absolutely counts. Both beautiful cats.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
My next cat will be a black one, if only to save my clothes - my white cat covers me in hair all the time!

I will call him Catman.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Here's Newton, the bestest cat ever, modelling his new bandanna. Newton has a little lamb stuffed animal he carries with him everywhere, it's pretty adorable watching him bathe it :3

Ohh my god please post a picture of Newton and his lamb!

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh no! Quickly Sadie, hide in your special hidden place!

This is an amazing photo.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
She looks like a Betty to me. Whoa, Black Betty, bamalam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

N'awww I love this picture. Gorgeous cats.