Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I love when people hook at spares on sport shots. They always come back from the approach in awe of what their ball did and why they missed it so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
204-244-237 = 685

As with scarf, we bowled some guys with real high handicaps and they had a ridiculous first game. I think we had to give them around 150-200 pins. One of them had 71 pins of handicap and started the first game with the front 6 :stare:

They also "talked poo poo" all night by telling us we were going to miss and laughing when we didn't strike. 10th frame of the last game one of them stomped on the approach as our bowler was in his bowling motion. It was really the most bizarre thing I have seen.

We still took 2/3 of the games. So oh well. In second place right now, 1 point behind the leader.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Gonna put some money in brackets and mystery doubles tonight. Hopefully I get a good partner, and hopefully I bowl well. I'll report tomorrow!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Well, I shot my highest ever last night.

289-278-225 = 792 :suicide:

I needed the front two in the 10th and a 6 count. I got the first one, then left a flush high 4 pin :(

Hopefully I can get this close again. It sucked not shooting an 800.

e: Good news is we swept and are now in first place by 4 pins. My Tuesday night team is looking pretty good right now.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Zahgaegun posted:

So when I was younger, I was the dude who got injured, a lot. One of the things I wrecked was my right rotator cuff (had it repaired), broke my right wrist, and had my right thumb pushed back to my wrist. I'm right handed and my right arm is a mess, my shoulder especially so.

How much trouble would it be to learn how to bowl left-handed?

An older guy in one of the leagues I bowl in did this. He messed up his shoulder and couldn't really use his right arm to bowl anymore. So he started bowling left-handed from then on. He was a pretty good bowler right-handed, and averages about 190-200 left-handed. It is definitely possible, just gotta put work into it and practice.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
If you get a spare ball, it will go very straight even if you throw it with a hook (extremely slight hook if the lanes are torched and you really rev the ball). Spare balls are just straight plastic and have just a plain old core to it, no weight blocks or asymmetrical patterns.

I just throw my strike ball but I am able to flatten it out to go close to thumb hole over thumb hole, but then again I flatten out my hand for most all of my spares.

To some recent scores!

Turkey Shoot on Thanksgiving morning I shot a 732 scratch and took 4th place for $75! I also won a pot game in the middle so that was another $20.

Last Friday I went 299-224-220 = 743. (10 pin yargh)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Devo posted:

Went 202 - 177 - 219 on Wednesday. Second week in a row we've bowled unopposed (first was a prebowl, this week we had the odd team). My team is historically terrible when bowling unopposed so we took a whopping 8/54 points. Somehow we're still only 24 points out of first. As long as no one else prebowls against us this season we're done bowling unopposed.

Holy points. How do you guys have your league set up?

Tuesday: 254-229-209 = 692

Bowling again tonight, hoping I can get a 7.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Ah, my Tuesday league is handicap and we just do 7 points total. 2 for each game total (with hdcp) and then 1 point for team series total (hdcp).

My Friday league is scratch and we do 24 points total. 1 point for each player head to head (across from you) for each game, and then 3 points total for the team game. 8 points every game and 24 points total. So that's the same thing as yours except you just have a lot more points out there.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mattfl posted:

Went and bowled 4 games at lunch today. Yay for BOGO bowling and working 5 mins from an alley!

Anyways, was around 175ish all 4 games. I just can't seem to get a comfortable grip on the ball it seems. It is a 15pnd ball. It feels like I have to really grip the ball to hold onto it, and that puts a lot of stress on my thumb where it bends. I don't feel the numbness up my wrist yet, but there's definite numbness in my thumb and the top joints of my fingers. Unfortunetly the pro shop didn't open till 1 and I had to be back at work so I'm gonna hafta go a little bit later tomorrow and see what he thinks. Maybe the length between thumb/fingers isn't long enough, or maybe I just need to move to a 14pnd ball.

Your thumb and fingers should be comfortably snug in the holes, you should have no need to have an excessive "gripping" of the ball, and your thumb definitely should not have a need to bend inside the thumbhole. Try some tape in the thumb, and check your span. I highly doubt it is the weight of the ball stressing your hand/fingers.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Devo posted:

$50 to $100 to drill

Wow. I live in a pretty big bowling town and the guy I go to charges $40. I have never seen $100 anywhere close to me ever. Its usually always cheaper to buy online and go in with the ball. I've never experienced anything with funky pin placement either, just make sure you go to someone well recommended for your area I guess. But maybe this is because the city I bowl in is a pretty big bowling area and the people who drill know what they are doing.

e: But of course, check prices with local shops first.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 1, 2012

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
279-270-223 = 772 :(

I'll never get my 800. Lost it in the 7th frame of game 3. Team swept points for the second week in a row though :)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Critical posted:

Goddamn it's hard to see some of these scores when I'm busting my rear end trying to grind out 200s. I haven't even hit a 800 series (for 4 games) during the season. gently caress y'all and your wall shots.

If it makes you feel any better, I bowled on sport shots in college for four years and while it was tons of fun, I feel your frustration. I was able to carry a 195 average though, which I was pretty happy with. I would jump at getting in a fall-winter sport shot league around here, but all the old fogies stick to their 230 averages on the cake house shots around here, it's really frustrating. I do bowl at the "toughest" house shot in my city, at least. There is a place that literally just pumps out 300's and 800's week in and week out. A team just set the 5-man city record for team game on Monday with a 1379. I hate that place.

On the other hand, watching all the old fogies go out to nationals and come back with 500's or low 600's is really fun.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Devo posted:

the summer sport league

This is the only time I have a chance to bowl in sport leagues. I hate bowling in the summer when I can be doing things outside, so I don't do them. Why can't people just want to bowl sport shots in the fall leagues :(

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Yea, it was supposed to be in Orlando last year, but the funding for the convention center was cut/suspended so they had to shift it to Reno. Reno is basically the fall back place because its so easy to host it. I believe that after 2 more years in a row in Reno, it is only supposed to be there once every 4 years (but I'm sure Reno will win the bid again because its so inexpensive to do it there, the stadium is already there.)

Reno - 2013,2014
El Paso - 2015
Up in the air - 2016 (possibly Orlando if the convention center is finished)

I think this is correct, and yea it sucks.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
280-222-232 = 734 for Friday night.

Two of the guys on my team are not good enough for a scratch league, but we took two games and won 19/25 points. First time we won two games in a long time. Bowling tonight, hopefully I can keep rolling well.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Scarf posted:

So apparently Pete Weber won the Open? Did he tell anyone to "suck it" in the process?

No, but he did go batshit crazy

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Devo posted:

brother :words: brother

Is your brother 12? Sounds like kids in the junior leagues. Also, is the league you play in not handicapped? Surely he wouldn't be causing you to lose the league with those scores if it was. What's his average? Going from that high of a game to that low of a game consistently is absurd, even if he isn't trying at all.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Devo posted:

He's usually about a 195 average but he's at 183 or some poo poo this season. Yeah it's a handicap league but bowling 50-60 pins under your average in games 2 and 3 every week doesn't really help the rest of the team.

Understood with what his average is at, holy poo poo how does he average 190 when he throws 110 games. I would be frustrated with him as well.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I refuse to ever buy one. I'm able to flatten my hand out and shoot straight at all the spares I need to. I can definitely see it helping someone who cannot flatten their hand out and still be accurate, though.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
If you are getting a new ball drilled or re-drilled, I would suggest getting the newish thumbhole slugs that actually lock and unlock. That way you can just switch out thumbholes as necessary.

http://www.turbogrips.com/products_learn_sw_grip.php

^These things.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

buffto posted:

Yeah, even the USBC Open Championships allow jeans now.

Being a sort of younger bowler, I find it hilarious how many older guys I know who bowl complain about this and the fact that they serve beer now too.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
You always go with last year's averages for tournaments unless your current average this year is 15 pins higher. Don't feel bad about it, handicaps are there for a reason, to make things a lot more competitive.

Also, you may want to check into that 15 pin rule, most tournaments have that in place.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Critical posted:

Question: What do you have to average with Handicap to win a no-tap tournament at my house?
Answer: 308.

918 was leading after two squads so I said gently caress it it's only $25, and I only have to average 270 scratch. :rolleyes:

Went 278-275-255 for 808. With 115 pins handicap that's 923 and gently caress you, pay me.

I have to wait a month for the check but it should be around $250. Added to the $400 I made for finished top 5 in everything in the city tournament and it's a pretty good end of the year so far.

no-tap as in 9-pin tap? I rolled a 900 scratch one time and still only took second place. I never understood the point of handicapping 9-pin tap tournaments, you are already being given a break by making it easier where you don't have to knock all the pins down.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

PendingForaBending posted:

225-168-267. 660 overall, so not bad, but made a poor adjustment in the 2nd game. I was left in a position too where I didn't throw a good ball a couple times after the adjustment so I stuck it out after that a little more than I should to make sure it was the line and not just me.

So I'm going to try to bowl a sport shot league this summer. I've never done that before so I'm not sure what to expect. I know its going to be much harder, but are there any goons out there who have the experience making the switch?

My advice: If you want to bowl well, throw straight at all of your spare shots. If you are a bowler who leaves a 7-pin, and then throws a big hook to pick it up, don't do that, because it won't work. Practice on throwing straight at all of your spares. More advice, you have to be extremely accurate and consistent on your strike balls. If you miss by just a bit, your ball probably won't do what you think it's going to do. Other than that, just have fun and realize you are bowling on what the pros are able to average ~220 on. It should make you a better bowler and you will definitely learn from it.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
On the plus side, you are bowling on an even harder shot!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
When I bowled for college, our machine at our lovely union basement was broke as hell. We had like three sport shots programmed into it, one of them was the US Open shot (~42 feet of flat oil). The machine put it out every time no matter what you selected or changed. So I bowled 6 games on that every drat Monday night for 3 years straight. The only plus side was, it made me a better bowler on harder shots.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Anyone have a Brunswick Aura/Paranormal they could comment on at all? I'm between getting that or waiting for the Storm Sync to come out in the beginning of February. Any comments/experiences at all on any of the newer top-line balls from Storm or Brunswick would be greatly appreciated.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Whale Cancer posted:

and I keep leaving the drat 10 pin.

This isn't a terrible thing. When you are hitting the pocket and consistently leaving the ten pin, try and move your approach starting point about an inch back if you can. This should allow the ball to hit the pocket just a tad more high/flush and kick out that ten pin for you. As for picking up the ten pin, its all about practice, of course. Finding that spot to throw over to consistently pick it up.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The US Open shot is just straight flat oil everywhere. Every board is covered in oil from gutter to gutter up to 42 feet or so. I bowled on it in college a lot and it was just miserable.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I bought a Storm Sync and shot a 750 with it out of the box last night. It's a great aggressive ball, I love it.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Whale Cancer posted:

:drat: What do you typically shoot?

Averaging 225 on Friday nights and 218 on Tuesday nights. I bowled in college and averaged ~190 on sport shots. I am trying to get one of the alleys by me to do an every other week sport shot league for next year, but the old men are all so drat stubborn. There is never enough interest for it, and I don't feel like driving 40 minutes to do one every week.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Critical posted:

And not to be negative, but poo poo like that is why the USBC is somewhat secretly looking at regulating oil patterns to bring scores back to a manageable level. Someone shooting almost 650 within three months of starting bowling even 10 years ago was pretty much close to impossible. Also the "Scratch" average has jumped from 200 to 220 on house. It's pretty absurd. Ten years ago I averaged 207 in a travel league as a junior as was considered top 3 in the state, now a 207 won't get you top 10 in most houses.

I agree with you. We have a house in town that hands out 300 games and 800 series like it's their job to do so. The shot is so pathetically easy. Worst part is (not surprisingly though), it's the most popular house in town.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I missed the conversation; why are you people throwing backup balls? For corner pins? Get a cheap spare ball or learn to flatten your hand out (not twist it the other way) and come in at it from a long angle.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Toaster Beef posted:

It's for shits and giggles mainly, though if you're going to be a bit of an rear end about it

Doing something unnatural and breaking/hurting fingers sounds like so much fun. I was just bringing up that there are more conventional ways of aiming at ten pins without hurting yourself by attempting to twist your hand the opposite way and throwing a backup ball. But if it's just for fun to see if you can throw a backup ball and get strikes, go have your fun. Also I never said anything wrong about anything in my post, I was just trying to point out easier ways, as it seems a few people have tried throwing back up balls and got their fingers stuck in the ball...

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Scarf posted:

Yikes... I can't even imagine how pissed I'd be at myself if I got the front 11 and then gutter-8.

This is impossible to do haha. He meant his brother had a total of 11 strikes in each of his games. The opens came somewhere in the middle of his games.

Also toaster, do you have a good pro shop guy around at all? If you do, they are great for those types of questions and can really help you pick out a new ball just by watching you throw a couple of balls.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Scarf posted:

:doh: oh yeah... my bad.

Haha, I figured you knew; was just funny to me reading that sentence.

Toaster Beef posted:

That's the step I'll take when I finally remember to look into this stuff when I'm not at work :)

We have the same problem, I do all my research at work too. But yea, you can also get balls drilled certain ways to react differently on the lane as well, and a (good) pro shop guy would be able to watch you throw a ball, the revs on it, and recommend something that would work for what you are trying to do.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
http://www.pba.com/Bowlers/Bowler/7697

We have this guy in Racine, WI. He has been here forever. He is friendly, fun to talk with, and doesn't care what your average is.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
225-300-232 last night. I still can't get the elusive 800. I bowled city tournament this past weekend and in doubles, I shot a 650, but my partner didn't do so well. He rolled a 770 last night with me, figures we were two days late with our big scores.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The elusive 800 is still elusive. I definitely should have had it this time, but I guess I can't complain too much.

I started Friday night off with the first 21 strikes. 300-277-202. :bang: :argh: :suicide:

Opened my first frame third game, then I had a turkey. Then I refused to move and went spare, big four split, spare, spare. Now that my 800 was gone I switched balls and struck out for my 202. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Scarf posted:

We're super hard up for bowlers for our Monday night league at the club. Apparently some dickheads in the Tuesday league have been talking poo poo to potential new bowlers saying we're "not fun" and "too competitive." Why the gently caress would you try and sabotage someone else's league like that?

Well, are you not fun and too competitive? I have heard those reasons for not joining leagues before, bowling is a long rear end commitment and can get pretty expensive. I would want to make sure I was in the right type of league with people I enjoy before committing to it. But, maybe they are just assholes and they hate you and your league, who knows. Just trying to give you a different perspective on it other than sabotage.

• Locked thread