Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

buffto posted:

Yeah, the whole Motiv thing has me scratching my head. Honestly it's kind of sketchy how all of these balls that were produced all of a sudden exceeded the maximum differential for the USBC. Well, I looked the two balls up and saw that they are designed to have a .060" differential (the absolute maximum allowed). USBC did a spot check and found that "a significant amount" of them tested out to have a .063" differential. I'm going to assume that Motiv didn't do this on purpose and this was just some manufacturing mistake. However, why on earth did Motiv design a weight block to have the absolute maximum RG differential when they knew some variance could occur during production? Whatever, I only throw Storm anyway.

Yea I only throw Brunswick stuff. From what people are saying, Motiv liked to really push the standard boundaries as much as they could, which leaves such a small amount for error during production, which is really stupid on their end. It makes no sense to have your balls produced at the exact upper limit when there can be small production variances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
You don't have a pace of play rule in your league? Intentionally bowling slow sounds horrible and I probably would have confronted them about it and/or the league secretary. Like, that's not even a real strategy. That's just being a bunch of loving tools.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
One of my local city tournaments was last month, and they have a "Masters" tournament for the top 16 qualifying All-Events scores. So, I started off the tournament with a 591 in team event, which is horrible for me. Everything was going wrong from ball selection to execution, and even when I did execute, the carry was poor. So, needless to say, I put myself in a hole going into minors events the following weekend. I show up for singles, and end up shooting 215 267 264, good for 746 and third place singles. I follow that up with a 706 in doubles. I shoot 2,044 and end up barely hanging on to top 16 with a 14th place finish. The "Masters" tournament is this weekend and I am looking forward to it!

Other than that, I unfortunately won't be bowling state this year, because the normal weekend I go happens to be a bachelor party weekend for the same group of guys that I also bowl state with. A little bit disappointed in that, but oh well. I head out to Nationals to bowl May 1/2. My tournament season is all packed in around that time frame. I do a big doubles tournament right when I get back along with two match game tournaments with 8 games qualifying that same week and the following week. End of April and beginning of May is my favorite time of bowling. After that, I take three months off and never enter a bowling alley until late August.

Looking at getting a new ball soon and I want the green quantum but ugggghhh ball prices keep going up as well as drilling prices around here. Sad!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I was one ball away from having the high score on a lane last year :( Needed a strike and count for 260 something and the 4 pin didn't fall down :(

Don't ask me about the rest of my games :)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Pretty much what Devo said. Lefties get a bad rap because usually nobody else is on their side of the lane taking up any of the oil. Once they find a spot, they can usually sit there all night, especially on a house shot. And if you are consistently going brooklyn, move your feet and your mark a bit right and swing the ball out a bit. Play through more of the oil, as Devo said. (There is generally more oil in the middle parts of the lane, which will allow your ball to hold on the left side a bit longer if you send it through that oil)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

hockeyfrog posted:

I have state coming up in May, and the bf has talked me into bowling USBC Open Nationals this year in June.

Somewhere in all of this, our women's and men's associations are having to merge, and there is a rather large chance that I'm going to be elected president of the association. Not quite sure how I feel about that one.

Enjoy nationals. If you have never bowled on a sport shot, be prepared to struggle and don't be disappointed. Otherwise, have a ton of fun!

Our womens/men/youth is merging into one association too. I wonder if this is happening everywhere.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Technically that isn't an open frame! You marked in the tenth (your strike) and you proceeded to open on your bonus/fill balls.

So two years ago our team accomplished a pretty cool feat, we all had 200+ games and 700+ series on the night. Last night we almost did it again. We accomplished everybody over 200+, but two people fell 25 pins short each of their 700's :(

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I've got 7 alleys within 20 minutes of me. Used to have more, but unfortunately the business is what it is these days.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

hockeyfrog posted:

Survived my first association meeting as president. Once we get through all this merger bs, we can actually work on fun stuff like things actually bowling-related.

BF talked me into doing a sport shot league this summer and it is kicking my rear end. 6 games a night. We're on the Alcatraz pattern right now, and once I got to the 6th game last week I figured out what I was doing. Set a 125 average, which is disheartening, but... it is good practice. It'll get better though, I know it will.

Two weeks until USBC Open Nationals, I *am* pretty excited for that trip!

Hey! I bowled on the Alcatraz a few weeks back in a doubles tournament. drat short-ish and dry patterns! It was tough, but managed to average 190 for 4 games. Not enough to make the cut unfortunately :(

Have fun out at USBC. It's the hardest I have ever seen it, especially for team event. I shot 1840 and our team broke 3,000. I could have had more individually, but couldn't get anything going after a 240 start in doubles. My adjustment to the break down was poor :( Breaking 3,000 for team was really, really fun though.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
How was the bowler illegal? I believe the pinfall still counts, it's just the illegal bowler has a zero. You can always e-mail rules@bowl.com They are super quick about getting back to you (at least for me they are).

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Gobbeldygook posted:

I don't bowl but I did read the OP and am curious about the effect of equipment. Imagine two players of equal skill are bowling. The first has his ideal ball/oil pattern/lane length/etc for his style while the second has the absolute worst possible setup. In percentage terms, how much of an advantage will the first player have over the second?

If we are talking about sport shot patterns, an enormous advantage. Matching up a ball and play style to a tough oil pattern gives you a ridiculous advantage over someone of equal skill that doesn't have those matchups. Not saying the second person would suck, but that second person would have to play a line that they wouldn't normally play with a ball they wouldn't normally be using for the given conditions. Room for error would be a LOT less and thus, the person would be missing the pocket a lot more.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Ashwaubenon is a great house near the Green Bay area. They actually just held the USBC Masters tournament in 2015. Check out the pro shop there and see if they can help you get that ball drilled.

Other than that, just join a league or ask to sub in leagues. Wisconsin is a big bowling community, specifically the Green Bay area, Madison area, and southeastern Wisconsin areas.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I'd probably get the daredevil trick seeing as you really shouldn't need more than one urethane ball in your bag (Hot Cell and Pitch Black are both urethane). How you drill a ball also has a lot to do with what they do and how they react, but I'm sure you know this already. Dare-Devil, Sure Lock, and Fight are all solid reactive coverstocks, get your dare devil drilled differently than those two. Tell your pops to give you a straight pearl ball for something you are missing in your bag :D (you have a hybrid in your Code Red, which is a great ball).

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I'm glad Ashwaubenon worked for you. I bowled against the proprietor's son a bunch in college, he was a nice guy.

Move your feet left. Out of curiosity, how fast are you throwing it? You certainly can polish it up, but keep in mind you bought a solid coverstock ball which are usually meant to hook (and early). A pearl ball would go "longer" down the lane for you and come polished pretty much.

But really, move your feet left. The majority of the oil is going to be in the center of the lane. If you are having trouble keeping it in the pocket, you are going to want to push the ball through the center of the lane as much as you can (so it slides through the oil), with your final break point really far down the lane and right of the pocket. Also I'm not sure if you were just practicing at some random time, but there might not have been a lot of oil to begin with either. New balls do tend to hook a lot, and it should also smooth out the more games you get on it. These are my random thoughts!

ayb posted:

Belmo throwing a backup ball in the last qualifying round in the US open. Had a 214-248-146 so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrPixpxd7BE

Hilarious.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
If you are two fingering a solid reactive coverstock at 11 mph, that is the exact reaction you are going to get. It's going to be aggressive as hell and unable to be kept right of the headpin. You are probably putting a million revs on it.

Any chance you can not "hit it" as hard coming through the ball with your fingers? Take some revs off of it. This may get your speed up a bit too. But if you want to keep that in the pocket on a house shot, you are really going to either need to speed up or take revs off. Speeding up in general might take some revs off. Keep practicing!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

resurrecting the bowling thread to say I finally broke the 100 threshold and scored a 101 yesterday chucking some candlepin. :toot: poo poo's difficult. got close to doing it again in the final game but badly converted a spare in the 10th frame and finished with a 99

e: converting a spare? what is it called when you shoot for your spare on the next frame?

Not sure I understand the question, but converting a spare (if you pick it up) is correct terminology. The term "fill" can also be used, as in, fill up the frame (with a spare or a strike). Also the extra balls in the 10th frame are considered "fill balls."

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

Is there a term for the pins you get when you have a strike or spare pending?

"Count" ? I dunno. Usually that's what people say. "Get a good count" so you don't waste your free pins when you have a spare pending.

I never really think about bowling terms this much, haha.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Syracuse is a poo poo hole imo. You didn't miss much (and I bowled well!). Sorry if that offends anyone there, we just had horrible weather and overall it just seemed like a very run down old industrial city. Meh. I'm sure there are nice parts I missed somewhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I spent most of the free time that I did have at our hotel which had a free happy hour with food for two hours from 5-7. Serving us Canadian beers and whiskey. I think I was only there for 1 day that wasn't a day occupied with bowling. The place sucks.

I wish Nationals would be: Vegas, Cool City, Vegas, Cool City, Vegas. Instead it's Vegas/Reno mixed in with poo poo holes. Although I did have an amazing time in El Paso because we rented out an enormous old condominium complex that had its own pool and basketball courts and stuff. Also drove out into the desert onto a cattle ranch for dinner one night.

These are my current ranks out there right now. I had 29/30 clean in singles...and the open came in the form of a crushed pocket 7-10 in the 8th frame of the 3rd game. A $350 pocket 7-10 :(

Also the horrible middle games in each set was still enough to help me profit around a grand in brackets. Hooray!

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 19, 2018

• Locked thread