Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Ugh I started out throwing a really nice ball last night and then fell apart. Front 7 strikes the first game followed by missing every loving easy spare in the book.

243 - 184 - 167 terrible. I must have missed 5 single pins over those last two games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Ouch, getting so close hurts. My only brush with 800 was a couple years back. Had strikes in 3-7 and saw that I needed to go through the first one in the tenth to bust 800. Got the 8th fine and then went a little slow and a little high in the 9th and left a 4-9 :(

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Went 189 - 235 - 214 tonight. Felt pretty good after an inconsistent first game. My only opens were on splits tonight. Our anchor bowler had a 300 the second game and we took 17.5/27 from the first place team.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Scarf posted:

Don't the rules state that you have to establish a new average/handicap if you change hands? And once you start a match with one hand, you have to finish with that hand?

Yes. You would have two different averages; one for each hand.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Position round last night, we were in 3rd with only a few points separating 1-4. Took 19 points but it would have been more if the entire team hadn't fallen apart during the 3rd game.

213 - 252 - 171

Game 1 I converted two splits and won my game by 4. Including covering a 3-4-7 in the 10th frame and turning around for my best Gladiator "Are you not entertained?" impression. Game 2 I had the front 7 and left the ball way in and too hard which somehow resulted in a 5-10. I don't know the last time I left one of those. Game 3 I just sucked balls.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I managed to shoot my high and low games of the season back to back tonight. It's become a bit of a running joke that no matter what I shoot my first two games I end up in the 630s.

228 - 275 - 134

275 was actually pretty garbage to be honest. Started out with the front nine but at least three of those went way high and carried anyway. I had 5 splits in the 134 game, it sucked.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I just have a plastic Columbia blue dot that I throw at spares. Goes straight as an arrow.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Went 202 - 177 - 219 on Wednesday. Second week in a row we've bowled unopposed (first was a prebowl, this week we had the odd team). My team is historically terrible when bowling unopposed so we took a whopping 8/54 points. Somehow we're still only 24 points out of first. As long as no one else prebowls against us this season we're done bowling unopposed.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

It's an individual match point league with 27 points each night.

15 points for match play. Your (hdcp) score against the (hdcp) score of the guy bowling across from you.
3 points for each handicap team game and 3 points for handicap team series.

It really keeps the standings closer for the worse teams and I like it better than 8 point team only leagues because there's next to zero chance you're going to get totally shut out on the night. We once won a "regular" league in February. The league didn't end until April. That kind of thing doesn't happen in individual match point leagues.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

A very meh night on Wednesday as my team continued its slide.

187 - 194 - 203 and we only took 8.5 points. Good thing there's still 16 weeks left.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

What a poo poo night last night. It was raining like crazy and the approaches were in terrible loving condition. I went through like half a bag of easy slide. Almost blinded myself out after throwing a 0 in the first frame of the first game. Somehow managed a 506 woo.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I don't really get nervous when I've got the front 8 or 9 anymore, I've hosed it up enough times to not care.

However...the time I shot my 300 game I hadn't eaten since about 8 that morning and was running on pure adrenaline past frames 5 and 6 or so. I finished out the game, celebrated with my teammates, and immediately felt incredibly sick to my stomach.

My series that night was like 218 - 300 - 141

Last night I was throwing the ball decently enough but missed way too many spares I have no business missing. Went 179 - 190 - 224 but would have had 650 or more if I'd just picked up all my single pins.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Double posting from a week later

Showed up real late last night. We start at 6:30 and I think I walked in the door at 6:31. Still had a pretty decent series but I wish I would have taken a warm up frame.

Game 1 I went 0-8, bad strike, flat 7-10 but finished out pretty strong for a 201.
Game 2 was a 205 where I missed two single pins (a recurring theme).
Game 3 I actually put it all together and shot a 255 game. Could have very easily been a 278 if I hadn't been tapped on a couple shots.

Sadly enough that's my high series of the year. Consistent mediocrity is my game.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I feel like I'm actually getting my throw together for the first time in about two years. It feels nice. Shot my high series of the season (and last season!) last night. I just need to cut down on some of the silly mistakes and I'm gold.

Game 1 - 211 with 8 strikes and 2 splits. Need to keep the ball out of the nose.
Game 2 - 245. I was on a 279 pace after a 9 pin in the 3rd frame but split in the 10th. Need to keep the ball out of the nose.
Game 3 - 266. Had 10 strikes but went through the nose in the 3rd and 4th frames and covered. Need to keep the ball out of the nose.

All in all though I'll take a 722. Hopefully I can build on the last two weeks and break 700 again next week. Unfortunately the rest of my team sucked and we only took 15.5 points on a night we should have taken 22-24.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Well the good news is that last night I didn't miss any spares that weren't splits. That's actually two weeks in a row I've done that now. The bad news is that I left six of them. I wasn't going through the nose at least, pretty much all my splits were of the 2-4-8-10 variety coming in too late.

184 (3 splits)
233 (1 split)
201 (2 splits)

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Had a bad night last night. My footwork was erratic, my wrist positioning was sloppy, and I couldn't hit where I was aiming. At least I covered most my spares in games 1 and 3 and lucked into enough strikes to not shoot too abysmally.

210 - 152 - 210 for a highly solid 572

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Pro shops don't sell at internet prices, but if you buy on the internet it's going to cost you anywhere from $50 to $100 to drill it at the shop. So keep that in mind while you're pricing things out.

I prefer buying from shops because I can guarantee I'm not getting a funky pin placement or anything like that.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

The Hellraiser and Nano are both a whole lotta ball. I'm personally not comfortable throwing that much ball on most typical house conditions but ultimately it's up to you to see what you like to do. I put way more revs on the ball than most people but I can't get my speed up to where I could in my younger days so YMMV

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Ugh third straight 570 series and I just couldn't get anything going. Rest of the team is bowling like poo poo too; only took 9 points. We've got a date with the first place team next week so if we want to get this ball rolling again we need a good week. About 35 points out of first right now and I'd like cut that down by about 12 or 13 if we can.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Backends were flying tonight and I showed up late and started with the wrong ball. First four frames were a lucky strike through the nose followed by three straight splits through the nose. Switched to my V2 Pearl in the fifth frame and actually rocked poo poo the rest of the night. Haven't had a chance to throw that ball in a while and it always feels good.

Went 214 (3 opens!) - 245 - 236 for a 695. If I had switched earlier or started with a different ball I think I'm at a very high 700 for the night.

Annnnnnnd we still only took 9/27 from the first place team. They really put a hurting on us and we're going to need some outside help if we want to win the league now. Also need my brother to stop shooting 120s. Yeah, the no 120s thing would help.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah the summer sport league I bowl in knocks a good 30-40 pins off my average depending on what shot we're using. I'm also just under a 190 lifetime average in the ABC/USBC Open. It's good to get knocked down to reality sometimes.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I've tried to set one up a few times to no avail. People like shooting 230s and that's why the shots keep getting easier and the balls keep getting dumber.

Now that the PBA animal patterns are back for public use I thought about doing a one ball doubles league on the Cheetah this summer. We'd punch up a Storm Natural Pearl for everyone and that's the only ball they could use. Sounds fun to me but I don't know if I'll get any interest.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My team continued our streak of sucking rear end. Took 2/27 against a bad team. I had the only 600 on the pair and that's not good for us giving up 150 a game.

Went 212-222-207 for a 641. Completely stopped carrying the third game.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

buffto posted:

I'm heading to Baton Rouge tomorrow morning for the USBC open championships. Going to get a good practice session in tonight before leagues and pray I can shoot 600s. I think I have it in me. Didn't have to pay a dime in entry fees since I am filling in for someone who bummed his knee.

Good luck!

I'm going in the middle of March in what might be my last USBC Open for a few years. I'm sick and tired of Reno so I'm taking at least the next two off. I thought about making a post about it when the tournament started but :effort:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

It was supposed to be in Wichita either last year or this year but they couldn't get the convention center up to standards. It's been in Indianapolis in the past and was in Knoxville ten or so years ago. I just get tired of going out west every year and I know there's a lot of midwest and east coast bowlers who feel the same.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I also wouldn't be surprised if there's some tournaments in Arlington in the near future. That's where the USBC/BPAA campus is and I know they've looked into putting a convention center there.

Better Arlington than Reno; at least I can drive there in a day.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

buffto posted:

Well, I was able to throw one good set in Baton Rouge. Was playing the lanes way too deep in team and only eked out a 517. Came in the next day and went gang busters in doubles with 240-182-279 for a 701. Partner shot 531. We are currently in 6th place in doubles, although there is still like 4 months left. Then I completely brainfarted in singles and shot 501. Boo. Oh well. I didn't pay any entry fees, I made plenty of money in brackets and will probably cash in doubles.

Team is really hard to do anything in unless you've got 10 guys who are all on the same page as far as gameplan goes. That's why I've resigned my self to never cashing with my current team. Nice shooting in doubles. My high series in the Open is a 645, also in the doubles event.

How was the weather? I'm getting tired of Illinois :)

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I actually got to bowl head to head against one of the higher average bowlers in the league tonight. It was nice getting pins each game. Especially since I lost the first game by 1 and the second game by 7. I won the third game by 2 but my 13 pins handicap got me a clean sweep :)

Wish I could have carried a little better the first game. I left like 6 ten pins in a row during warm-up tosses and it carried over into game 1.

184 - 210 - 247 for a 641

We took a whole bunch of points from the second place team and more or less put the first place team way on top of the mountain. But hey, poo poo happens.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Couldn't carry for poo poo last night and I had too many splits to squeak something decent out anyway. Second game I started with a strike, and then the next nine frames were seven 9 counts in the pocket and two splits including one in the tenth.

196 - 167 - 202 for a whopping 565

Already found a sub for my little brother for next week since he's a whiny little bastard who starts punching chairs and poo poo every time he throws a bad ball. He started out in the 190s last night and then something set him off and he went 130 - 114. Our dad came out to watch and left in the middle of the second game because it was so painful to watch. This is a couple of weeks after he put up a stellar 210 - 120 - 118 series. It's hard not to lay almost all the blame on him after we've slid from 2nd place to 8th over the last 4 weeks.

I don't even care if he's bowling bad, I just can't stand him being a crybaby who stops trying after the first bad ball he throws. If he's going to do that I'll just sub him out the last 5 weeks of the season.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

He's usually about a 195 average but he's at 183 or some poo poo this season. Yeah it's a handicap league but bowling 50-60 pins under your average in games 2 and 3 every week doesn't really help the rest of the team.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Your fingers and thumb will definitely swell if it's warm and humid inside. Your best bet is to get the thumbhole widened and put a piece of tape in there. When your hands start to swell you can just remove the tape and continue throwing comfortably.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

The ball was coming out of my hand real nicely last night and I was absolutely owning poo poo on the left lane, but the right lane was a little inconsistent and it killed my series. I had 14/18 strikes on lane 9; the four I missed were three 10 pins and a 4 pin. I covered all my spares there. On lane 10 I only had 9/16 strikes including five splits that I did not cover. Game two I had a 290 pace going but went through the nose for an 8 count on lane 10 in the 10th frame. In the middle of the third game I alternated splits and strikes for six straight frames.

213 - 268 - 170 for a somewhat disappointing 651

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Khakis and any old collared shirt will be fine for 99% of tournaments. You could probably get away with a nice pair of jeans too. Most of the time that rule is just in place to keep people from showing up in tanktops, ripped jeans, super short skirts and the like.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Finally made it to Louisiana. I don't remember the drive taking this long but then again I didn't have two kids in the car with me in 2005. Bowling on Saturday!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Sitting here in the lobby waiting for my name to (not) come up on the brackets results board for team event.

I could have had a decent series if it weren't for a couple spots where I really screwed the pooch. In game one I opened frames 2-4 because I'm pretty sure I was bowling with my rear end in a top hat instead of my arm. Game two the ball was coming out a lot better but I blew an easy 210 and possibly 220-230 when I opened the 9th and 10th. Game three was when I switched balls. I opened in the first trying to find my spot but was clean after that.

165 - 189 - 225 and I wish my brackets were backwards so I'd have a shot.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

On my way back from Baton Rouge now. Singles and doubles was very bleh. I opened up slow again in doubles with a 169 but managed a 567 out of it. Singles was where I had my two lowest games of the weekend. I was totally lost except for a small stretch in the second game. I had to pick up a 2-4-8-10 to break 500 which I did with a 508. I somehow managed to get half my bracket money back which was better than I expected.

My group isn't going anymore but I'm not really that upset. We had no chance of cashing in team and not much in doubles. Not a good thing when I'm high average out of ten guys with a 200-210 every year. I might look at getting my own group together for El Paso in 2015.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

222 - 224 - 207 tonight. Was actually clean the third game but couldn't find a consistent line to the pocket. The team won games 2 AND 3 by less than 20 pins a piece when our anchor and I both struck out the tenth and their 4/5 guys opened. Stole 6 points that way basically.

Week 32 and the end of the league is next week. I'm not sure exactly what position we'll be bowling in yet but realistically I don't think we can finish higher than 3rd or 4th. A little disappointing for the defending champs but eh what are you gonna do.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Last night of bowling tonight! I think we moved up to 4th place. I was on loving fire and just couldn't miss. The right lane started to dry out in the third game and I didn't adjust fast enough to finish with a really big series.

Game 1 I had the front 6 and got too fast in the 7th. I left a 2-4-8 and finished out with a 277.

Game 2 I had the front 7 and left a perfect ringing 10 pin in the 8th. Which is also the strikepot frame :suicide: Came in a little too angular on ball 11 and finished with a 268.

Game 3 I started strike, 10 pin, strike, and then split twice in a row blowing my 800. I managed to string a few anyway and ended up with a 206.

751 is my high series of the year so I ended on a high note!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Expect your spares to be a lot tougher to convert and don't expect to be able to line up the same all night. If you don't already throw a plastic ball at most of your spares a sport league is a good place to start. Is it going to be a PBA Experience league or just some random shot? If it's a PBA Experience league you can usually find a breakdown of how the pros attack the patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

It's a combination of the fact that yes, the plastic balls do grab a little bit, and that pro bowlers are really loving accurate even at 25 MPH. I throw at like 16-17 MPH and couldn't dream of hitting my target accurately at that speed.

• Locked thread