Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I'm not up on my balls but I'm assuming the Frantic is a medium to heavy oil ball? If you want to keep throwing that on torched lanes then you need to move way left, target near the center arrow, and swing it out to wherever gets you near the pocket. On a typical house shot that's been burned up like that if you swing it too far it'll come screaming back harder than before. Your other option is to switch to something with a coverstock that goes real long and move right. Take a lot of hand out of the ball and play it more or less straight up. Your heavy oil balls will be gripping way too early on a burnt up shot like that and even if you somehow manage to hit the pocket you won't have all that much drive.

You might have just picked a bad day to go bowling. At my center April is in between the end of fall leagues and the beginning of summer leagues. Since we also don't get a ton of open play during the week in April we only oil the lanes about twice a week. If you came in three or four days after the last time they ran the machine then who knows what sort of slop you were bowling on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah national dues are only $10. I might ask your local and state associations what they're actually doing with that money. We pay $15 here in central Illinois.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

http://apps.bowl.com/PBAExperience/

PBAOIL2011

You didn't get that from me

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Haven't bowled on it yet but it looks stupidly hard this year. It was one of my better patterns over the last few years but this year they shortened it by a couple feet and made it look like that. We're also going to bowl on the US Open pattern over the last two weeks of this summer league. That ought to be fun.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Got an awesome email today. I know what I'm spending my next 100 bucks on!

http://g2gemini.com/pba-replica-jerseys/

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Toad on a Hat posted:

Chamelon can suck poo poo through a pig's anus, especially when you're playing with the same line as high revvers :mad:

I like the chameleon ok. But then again I'm one of the high revvers :)

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

PendingForaBending posted:

Nice job. 2 week turn around on awards is equally as impressive compared to how it works where I'm at.

That all depends on how good your association manager is. I get a nearly immediate turnaround on every award I turn in, but I also only turn them in monthly so he can just knock them all out in big blocks.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Scarf posted:

Well the house I usually do my fall league in has decided to completely make the move to a Bowl-N-Lounge and has decided to NOT have leagues this year.

I expect them to close within a year.

Unless you live in Las Vegas or the owner is independently wealthy this is a guarantee. You have another house nearby to bowl in?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Scarf posted:

Now they feel like leagues are keeping them from bringing in big crowds in the middle of the week :jerkbag:

As someone that runs a bowling alley, :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The only night we ever got a better crowd by letting the leagues die off was Friday. If we didn't have leagues on Monday through Wednesday we may as well close the joint down those days.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My Wednesday league starts tonight. Not looking forward to the paperwork at all.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Well I survived last night. Had one team not show up so I need to call their captain today and figure out what the gently caress is up with that. If they don't bowl that brings us down to 17 teams and odd numbers make me angry.

First game went about as well as expected, 163 while I missed every spare and ran around trying to collect paperwork and money. Surprisingly I bounced back though. Got all my secretary work done towards the beginning of the second game and finished out with a 218 and a 233. Considering I'm usually lucky to break 500 on the first night I'll definitely take a low 600.

My team scores were hilarious. We were so evenly matched with the other team all night that it could have gone in any direction. We only took 5 out of 15 individual points but won all 3 team games and series anyway.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

http://chambana.craigslist.org/tfr/3239616671.html

Just gonna leave this here. It's me, I'm in the "bad-rear end bowling league"

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I bowled lovely last night. But at least I was consistently lovely. I kept yanking the ball to the left all drat night and couldn't make myself stop. I must have left 10 or 12 4 pins and it seemed like there was a shadow 4-9 on every one of my throws. Had a few splits in there too so I went 173, 174, 170. Bleh.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

flacoman954 posted:

298-201-230 last night ; got lucky as all hell

Looks like you weren't quite lucky enough in that first game :)

I've had a couple of really bleh weeks the last two Wednesdays. But I actually threw some practice (MY. GOD.) last night and maybe working to get a little more consistent will help me get back into the swing of things.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

The vacant team is my worst nemesis. I don't know what it is but I just can't bowl worth a poo poo unless I'm up against somebody.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I threw out my back last week during the first game of league, couldn't even finish. Doctor said I pulled a muscle and gave me some muscle relaxers that I took through the weekend. Tried bowling a game after work tonight and I can already tell it's going to be a painful morning. Definitely not bowling tomorrow night.

25 years of league and I've never had anything like this happen :sigh:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah but just think how pimp you'll look when it's time to bowl and you throw your keys on the table and just fuckin' keychains everywhere man

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I've seriously considered taking an old jacket and sewing all my youth league patches onto it. I must have hundreds of them sitting in a drawer somewhere in my parents' house.

"I can see the terror in your eyes. My 300 series patch tends to do that to people."

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Bowled league last night for the first time since I hurt my back. 203 - 230 - 197 for a 630. Should have made a much bigger move at the start of the third game but instead I opened 3 out of 4 frames. Felt good all night so I guess the doctor was right and it was just a pulled muscle.

I'm bowling in the county team tournament this weekend at a house I've only bowled at twice in my life. Guess I'll just bring all my balls and hope I find something.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

All the entry level reactive balls are pretty similar in my opinion. You can't really go wrong with a Tropical Breeze or a Cyclone. Pick one with pretty colors.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Shot was interesting at the tournament. There was a definite out of bounds that people were struggling with. I split 3 out of the first 5 frames and then made a big move right and threw it harder to avoid going threw the nose. I felt like I was throwing the ball pretty well outside of the first half of the first game but I just couldn't string enough strikes together to score.

190 - 211 - 209 for a 610. My top 3 bowlers all shot pretty bleh but not overly horrible, and my anchorman shot a 650 making him the only one to (barely) get his average. That was still good enough to get us 12th out of 35ish teams in the handicap division so apparently we weren't the only ones struggling out there. Would have liked to do better, but meh at least we weren't at the bottom of the standing sheet.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Schach posted:

Hey bowling thread!! I started in a league a few months ago under coercion from a friend and have (very) slowly been increasing my average and could use a little advice on my first ball.

There's a holiday sale at the pro shop where I bowl offering an Ebonite Maxim for $60 or a Columbia Scout for $70. Both deals include drilling and a bag. Then there's this first-year league offer http://usbcshop.com/featured.php which doesn't include drilling or a bag or anything but I guess the balls nicer.

Does anyone know much about any of these balls or how nice the deals are? I'm leaning toward the Columbia Scout for convenience, price and because I don't wanna wait another month to stop having to search every week for the one house ball that hurts my thumb less than the others. I also want something good that will last because I want to stick with it. Honestly large swathes of the thread read like Greek to me but I gotta start somewhere right!!

Go with the Scout. It's a low end reactive ball and can get you set on your way to throwing with a light hook. Make sure you get it drilled with fingertip grips if you're serious about learning to throw the ball correctly. This will be totally foreign to you if you've been throwing a house ball but you'll thank yourself in the long run.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

mattfl posted:

Another week of winning all 7 points and another team that's beaten with whispers of sand baggers. I'm sorry my whole team has improved, I've gone up almost 15 pins in my average since we've started(187), my g/f has gone up 10 pins(111) her first year ever bowling, my dad already gets no handicap with his 215 avg and his wife has improved about 12 pins(155). In the last 5 weeks we've moved from 13th place into 1st and have only lost 1 or 2 points out of a possible 35 for those weeks. Anyone else deal with teams that when they are getting beat try to come up with some way to say we're cheating? I'm sorry everyone else shits the bed when they bowl us and bowls below their averages and we bowl above, practice more maybe?

Bowlers whine more than pretty much every other kind of human on the face of the earth, especially when they're losing. Make sure to throw your swag keychains loudly on the table before each league session.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

They're similar enough that you'd be fine either way. Low end balls all do basically the same thing so pick a color that you like.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Position round was last night. We were in second place, 7 points behind the first place team. We beat them 16.5 to 10.5 so when the world ends tomorrow we're still going to be in second place :mad:

The anchor bowler on my team shot a 299 the first game and was treated to one of the loudest choruses of boos I've ever heard. It was pretty fantastic.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Try moving your feet 2-3 boards to the left while looking at the same target on the lane. This should cause you to catch just a touch more oil in the middle and get the extra length to hit the correct pocket. In general if your ball is hooking past your target you need to move your feet a little to the left, and if it's not hooking quite enough you need to move your feet a little to the right. This is assuming you've got a consistent target you're shooting for.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Whale Cancer posted:

I can pick up the 10 pin, it's probably the easiest spare for me to get. I just keep leaving the 10 on my first bowl of the frame. I was leaving a lot of 5 pins too so I'm not sure what that means either. I just need more practice.

5 pins, and to a lesser extent 10 pins, mean your ball is deflecting off the pocket instead of driving through it. Try letting the ball work itself in from a slightly more outside angle. Slowing the ball down and/or starting your approach a little farther back are also ways to allow the ball more time to drive.

And HelfMyselp - you're right in that it's all about mental and physical preparation. Your body needs to know what a good shot feels like so you can repeat it consistently. But you can't do that if you're not concentrating on every shot; that's where the mental part comes in. You don't have to be one of those divas that spends 45 seconds on the approach before each ball. Just get a good pre-shot routine going. I like to find my mark, bend my knees, take a breath, and only then do I go.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Most house shots have hardly any oil on the outside so I'm not surprised that your ball is screaming left if you're starting on the 5 board. Try moving your feet left and projecting your ball slightly to the right. Your ball will do the work for you and you'll have a less extreme and more controllable hook. More importantly your angle of attack will be better and you should leave less 5 pins.

It all depends how the oil pattern is set up but there's usually not much reason to go outside the 8-10 board range unless you're really trying to swing the poo poo out of it.

Devo fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 21, 2013

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

We got new pindecks over the summer and they're ridiculously slick. I've seen poo poo you wouldn't believe. A 4 or 5 pin sliding all the way to the 7 pin slot without so much as a wobble is more or less a common occurrence. We called the manufacturer to get their suggestions but that didn't seem to help and in fact made it a little worse. The only thing that seems to help is spraying a bleach/water mix on the pinspots and letting it dry. The residue is pretty tacky so if the pin has enough sideways energy to slide it will just fall over instead.

Can't wait until we have to replace the old wood lanes with synthetics and get more strange things happening.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My brother and another bowler on my team both got brand new balls for tonight. They're dull as poo poo and are going to rip apart the middle of the lanes.

...I should probably bring my urethane.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Devo posted:

My brother and another bowler on my team both got brand new balls for tonight. They're dull as poo poo and are going to rip apart the middle of the lanes.

...I should probably bring my urethane.

Guess I need them to tear up the lanes more often since I had my best series in about three years tonight. Started out with your average run of the mill 210 game with one open. Second game I started with the front seven before leaving a 9 pin in the eighth and ending with a 256. Third game I had the front ten before throwing a completely terrible in every way ball in the 11th and finishing with a 285.

751. I'm happy with that.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Your thumb should slide out effortlessly. If you're squeezing the ball on the release it may be drilled wrong, or you have some bad habits you need to address.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Wood lanes rule. I'm going to legit cry when we have to switch to synthetic.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I don't think that's true. Even though it's a different style he's still bowling right handed. You only have to establish a different average if you're bowling with a different hand.

e: I mean Belmonte and those guys still shoot their ten pins normally, and if that was truly the case they would have to bowl every ball of the entire tournament in two handed style.

Devo fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 20, 2013

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I have a feeling in 20-30 years it's going to be the dominant style. I encourage everyone who is just taking up the game to try it out. You get so much more power out of that style. I've unfortunately got 25 years worth of muscle memory making me feel like a spaz every time I bust it out.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Annnnnnnnnd Belmonte wins the Masters. There ya go two-handers :)

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Zwick posted:

I'm not sure if this has been covered in thread, but does throwing backup force you to create a second average for left handedness? It has been a long time since I was in a league and this never crossed my mind.

Nope. Still throwing with your right hand.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My brother had 11 strikes in two of his six games tonight.

His scores in those games were 256 and 265 :pwn:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Close but no cigar. It was a gutter-eight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Try aiming for the center arrow. On a typical house shot most of the oil is in the middle of the lane so if you shoot for the center arrow and project the ball out to the left you should get more length and then a good amount of hook at the end.

• Locked thread