Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Pretty good op. One thing, though. Drilling has very little to do with the CG anymore. The pin placement is just as important as it ever was, if not more so. It is all about the pin and the mass bias. Distance from the pin to the PAP determines flare. Putting the pin on your PAP will result in minimal hook. Putting the pin further away will increase flare up until 3 3/8" which is the maximum flare that ball will produce. It then goes back down until the other minimal point, 6 3/4". The difference between 0" pin to pap and 6 3/4" pin to pap is with the longer pin to pap, the little flare that does happen will happen later, thus more length.

I guess I should mention what flare is. Flare is when the weight block changes its rotation. If you look at your ball when it comes back (assuming your ball has some sort of a weight block in it) you will see multiple oil tracks. This signifies the ball changing its rotation as it rolls down the lane. What this achieves is the ball rolling over a fresh part of the cover on each rotation, instead of rolling over the oil track the entire way down. This makes the ball react more and earlier.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. As you were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Back on Tuesday, I bowled 267-249-197 for a 713 series. Got a measly $3 out of the side pots (especially lovely since it cost $6 to get in). Left 2 big splits in the 3rd game or else I could have had a monster set. Game 3 looked like this:

9/ 9/ X X X 62 X X 81 X8/

Turn those two big splits into 9 spares and I would have had 227. Plus those were my only opens on the night. Oh well. Off to go bowling tonight and hopefully all 3 games are good tonight.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Lately it has seemed that I have had the world at a certain house I bowl at, but have trouble really seizing the opportunity and running up a monster score. Back on Sunday, I bowled a 5 game sweeper where I missed the cut for the championship roll-off by 4 pins. Games 1 and 2 I went X6/ in the tenth while working on a string because I just made a piss poor shot in the 11th finished 234 and 244 respectively. Game 3 I was working on a 290 through 6 and threw it about a mile per hour slower and left a greek church. Lost my concentration and coasted with a few spares and ended up with a 225. Game 4 I made a preemptive move which turned out to be wrong, but was too stubborn to change back and ended up with a 177. Then I went lights out with a 265 in game 5. COULDA BEEN A CONTENDA!

Last night in league I could have won my first game bracket match if I struck twice in the 10th. Threw a beauty on the first ball, but then limp wristed the hell out of the second and left a 2-10, ending with a 223. Game 2 I shot 265 again because I'm awesome. Game 3 I was working on a 250 something going into the tenth and limp wristed the shot again, leaving a 2-4-5-8. Threw a lovely spare shot and chopped the 2-4-8 off, ending with a 226. So I ended with a 714, but it could have easily been 750+. Stupid mistakes have cost me around $100 so far this week.

Going to bowl singles and doubles in the city tournament this weekend. Hopefully going to finally piece everything together.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
My routine involves putting my shoes on...
I dunno, I never really developed any superstitions. I've had 300 games when people mentioned the 300 while I was bowling it and it didn't bother me. I guess the closest thing I have is that I have to wipe my ball off with a rag before each shot, even if I haven't thrown the ball that night yet.

Anyway, after being absent from bowling the last 5 or so weeks (not literally absent, just my bowling abilities), I finally put together a decent set tonight. Had 10 strikes and 2 big split opens the first game for a 230. Had a 279 going until the 9th frame second game when I left a 7-10 (drat near a sour apple, tugged it into the oil and hit like a wet noodle) finished the 10th with a x9/ and a 235 game. Had a pretty consistent 3rd game where I was clean and shot 224. Maybe I can show up with a monster score next week, who knows?

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Critical speaks the truth. Brunswick hasn't made a good high end ball in forever. The best way to keep it from dying is to polish it up, throw it faster and make sure you are putting a long track on the ball. Which is to say to not let is spin like a top and let it have a heavy roll. But yeah, buy something not brunswick.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Thursday night I had one of those nights that keeps me coming back. I have been pretty disappointed in my bowling as of late. But Thursday night everything was running pretty smooth. Missed an easy spare in the second frame of the first game, but pulled it together for a 208. Shot a clean 244 the second game. Third game I had a 290 going into the 10th. Didn't make a preemptive move like I should have and went in high to leave a 6-10. Picked it up, made the move and struck on the fill for a 268. Can't be that disappointed with a 720. My timing and my release were just plain working. I need to get my mind in the same place it was on Thursday more often.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Also double check the drill. If your span is too long or the pitches are off, it could definitely cause soreness.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Not bad. Only critique I can really give is too keep your arm straighter and try to get lower. Maybe try some more tape in the ball. I highly doubt that one piece of tape took you from hurting after 3 games to a perfect fit. The less you grip the ball the easier it will be to keep that arm straight. All in all you look pretty good.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
As for the whole balance thing, one thing I do (and a lot of the pros) is I intentionally walk from right to left. Not a lot, just 5 boards or so. This puts the momentum of your body towards your posting leg instead of away from it, making you less likely to fall off to the right. Some coaches will tell you to step into your shot, meaning to take your last step to the right. I suppose it's a personal preference thing. Just something to think about or try next time you bowl. All I know is that 5 or so years ago I went to a 5 step approach and started walking right to left and it made a huge difference in my bowling.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin

mattfl posted:

I think there's 4 alleys within 20-25 mins of me.

Lucky. I have one in my town and then 3 others 30-40 min away. Mid Missouri isn't exactly the epicenter of bowling.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
There was a second one in Columbia, MO. However, back in August 04, some dude paid a bunch of money for it and tore out all of the lanes. Since then he has done dick with the building. Building is still there and has had nothing in it for 7 years.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin

mattfl posted:

So many dam choices, wish there was a way to test out these balls before I buy one, kinda like you can hit golf clubs before you buy.

Actually, there is. Many companies have what they call a "Demo Day." They bring all of their latest balls with various, but generalized drillings with interchangeable thumb slugs and finger grips. You can get them very close to your hand size and try them out usually for about the price of the lineage.

Here is Storm's event calendar. Look for ones labeled "open house" and click the link to get info on where it is. The ones that also say it is a seminar usually means you have to be a pro shop representative to attend.

http://stormbowling.com/news/events

And here we have Ebonite's demo days calendar. Keep in mind that this also includes Columbia 300, Hammer, and Track since they are all owned by Ebonite.

http://eboniteinternational.com/news-events/demo-days

Brunswick runs some as well I do believe. I just couldn't readily find info on it. They suck anyway.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
I don't know about mattfl's house, but at mine the house shot is really thick because everyone gets the strongest stuff and then bitches about there not being enough oil. Therefore everyone who doesn't have top end equipment (or a lot of hand) is struggling to get the ball to wrinkle. And then it just keeps escalating...

By the way, mattfl. Your approach looks a lot better.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Was given a couple of balls today. Got a Storm Prodigy and a Storm 2Fast. Shot 278-268-247 for a 793 series with the 2Fast. Not bad for the first series on the ball. The guy who gave them to me has pretty much the same span, so I just replaced the grips and thumb slug and I was good to go. That ball is going to be great when the lanes get toasted.

Edit: Hah, I just got around to watching the 2012 Masters finals. Chris Barnes is such a choke-artist bitch. Funny how that smarmy motherfuck went from :smug: to :smith: in 2 frames flat.

buffto fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 3, 2012

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin

Thom P. Tiers posted:

279-270-223 = 772 :(

I'll never get my 800. Lost it in the 7th frame of game 3. Team swept points for the second week in a row though :)

Good bowling regardless. Don't give up on the 800. I've seen some pretty old dudes shoot 800.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I NEVER get a chance to bowl on sport leagues. I bowled in one this past summer, but the center it was in was 90 miles away. gently caress that.

As for the idea of having a sport league where you only punch up a Storm Natural and put them on PBA conditions, I'm not sure I'm a fan of that. It wouldn't really showcase the bowlers' versatility or the difference in the patterns. With a urethane ball, you would play pretty much the same line (withing 5 or so boards) on all of the PBA patterns. The sport league I bowled this summer gave you two high performance Brunswick balls (oxymoron, derp derp) and allowed you one plastic ball for spares. We bowled on the chameleon the first half and the viper the second half. Also, the winner of the league got a 1 year contract with Brunswick. I thought that was a pretty good idea.

I don't know, something to think about I guess.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
I'm heading to Baton Rouge tomorrow morning for the USBC open championships. Going to get a good practice session in tonight before leagues and pray I can shoot 600s. I think I have it in me. Didn't have to pay a dime in entry fees since I am filling in for someone who bummed his knee.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Yeah, Reno blows and it's a shame that they have the tournament there so often. They could probably get a more consistently high turnout if they kept moving it around. Maybe having it in the midwest every so often.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Well, I was able to throw one good set in Baton Rouge. Was playing the lanes way too deep in team and only eked out a 517. Came in the next day and went gang busters in doubles with 240-182-279 for a 701. Partner shot 531. We are currently in 6th place in doubles, although there is still like 4 months left. Then I completely brainfarted in singles and shot 501. Boo. Oh well. I didn't pay any entry fees, I made plenty of money in brackets and will probably cash in doubles.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
First day I was in LA it was storming. After it cleared up it was pretty nice though. A lot better than Missouri.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Petey striking on his fill ball to win his 5th US Open was pretty god drat pimp, though.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
2 or 3 one hour coaching sessions spread out over a couple of months could get you very far. So I would recommend sucking it up and going to a coach. If you don't mind me asking, what town do you live in? I am in the Columbia area.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin

Kamakaze9 posted:

I'm living in Warrensburg, I bowl at Whiteman AFB. Columbia is about the same distance as KC, if you know of anyone in particular. Otherwise I'll just start looking on my own. Thanks.

There is a lady who coaches in Columbia who is pretty good at coaching. Problem is, she is always really busy, so it would be pretty hard to get a time for a session. You can go to http://www.thepindeck.com to get their phone number. Her husband runs that pro shop and might be able to set you up.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Or if you are in a marathon style tournament and the lanes get absolutely scorched. Throw a reactive ball at your 10 pin and it will react with just the slightest rotation. I am guilty of just throwing my reactive ball flat at all of my right side spares, but I recently started using a urethane ball at all of my spares that don't have sleepers.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Yeah, even the USBC Open Championships allow jeans now.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin

Scarf posted:

So tonight for the first time in god knows how long, we bowled on Easy Street. But it just seemed super dry to me.

Easy street is pretty dry. I believe it is the driest of the rec patterns.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
C'mon, are you sure you don't want to go to MOTHERFUCKING RENO the next 2 years? The god damned mecca of all things bowling (according to the powers that be)?

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
All right, time to get all serious and poo poo. Just got 2 new balls in (Storm Vivid and Marvel Pearl) and getting ready to hit up some tournaments. 2 scratch sweepers this weekend in the kind of St. Louis area, then a couple more in April, then off to a PBA regional in Junction City, KS on May 4-6. The sweepers will be on walled up conditions, but at least I can get myself in a competitive mind set for the regional. I bowl at a house that could put out a relatively tough shot for me to practice on to get myself somewhat ready from a technical standpoint.

Really have to grind it out these next 6 weeks or so. This will be the 3rd regional I have bowled in (one in '07 and one in '10) and I think I actually have a shot at doing something. I have proven to myself that I can score on sport conditions by bowling a 279 and 701 at nationals. Just have to apply that at the right times. Having 2 brand new balls and 2 more balls that have relatively fresh covers on them will help a lot as well. Wish me luck, so on and so forth.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Well, back from my little bowling weekend. First tournament I was only 9th out of 24. But today I averaged around 230 and got 5th out of 59 and got a couple of hundred back. Going to try and hit up a couple of more tournaments before my regional comes up.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
and those are the type of people who make me ashamed to be a scratch bowler.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Funny thing I was made aware of today. Back when I went to Baton Rouge about a month ago, I got an action shot of me bowling.

Well, the people who do the photography thought my picture was SO BADASS that they are using it to advertise their service. So if any of you are going to Baton Rouge to bowl nationals, go to the stub lane where you get your picture taken and look for that picture. It's me.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin

Devo posted:

If it's a PBA Experience league you can usually find a breakdown of how the pros attack the patterns.

It's a good concept but all of the pros' "breakdowns" end up being something like "Starting off, I like to go as straight as I can. Then as the lanes break down I move in and open up to hook it more." On every pattern. Not really telling me anything new here.

Also, switching gears here, a good way to do a 50 point league is to have each individual game worth 1 and each individual series worth 2. That's 5 per bowler and 25 total. Then make each team game worth 5 and team series worth 10 for the other 25 points. There's a scratch league in this area that uses that format.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
All right, so I'm heading to a PBA regional tournament tomorrow. It's been some time since I had a good serving of humble pie. Who knows, maybe I'll do well. If so that will only make the following vacation to Yosemite that much more enjoyable. Wish me luck.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
If you're paying 25 dollars in usbc dues, that's a local issue, not national. I pay 16 in mid-mo. There's other stuff you get with the membership besides crappy magnets as well.

http://www.bowl.com/memberrewards

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Hell, the ring for my first 300 game took 6 months to get. Didn't help that I bowled it in April in an association that has no sanctioned summer leagues and the association secretary was going through a divorce. Once a new secretary came in it got taken care of. Had to pull some strings though, since USBC is supposed to be notified within a week or so of the honor score.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
The Storm Crossroad and Frantic seem to be in the realm of what you are looking for. Leave it to me to direct you towards storm at every opportunity. Also, I just notice that the Hy-Road is still being manufactured. Almost 4 years, that's pretty impressive.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin

mattfl posted:

Let's talk about balls!

Currently I have 2 very similar balls.

Ebonite Evolve and a Storm Frantic.

Last night I probably had one of my worst nights bowling. I must have tried 5 or 6 different lane positions with each ball but I could not find a line. I was ready to throw balls in the woods after we were done, they probably would've missed the trees though.

So this is a good excuse for a new ball right?

I want something different than those 2, they both have the same coverstock and both about the same hook. I was thinking about something like the DV8 Hell Raiser Revenge or something with that type of coverstock. What do you guys think? Just to have something different when neither of my current balls will do what I want them to.

Honestly, the Evolve should roll much earlier and smoother than the Frantic. It might need a hot water soak and resurface. But to tell you the truth, I never thought the evolve was that great of a ball. You should probably get a mid performance solid coverstock bowling ball to replace the Evolve. Storm's Victory Road Solid is a good choice. Or if you want a ball in the same line as your Frantic, get a Storm Manic.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
I wasn't trying to criticize your decision. Tons of people bought that ball, many of them liked it. I just didn't like it when I tried it.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
From what I hear, PDW is like his TV persona, just way way way toned down. Generally a nice guy but a bit of a dick on the lanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
I actually wish they still gave out patches. You could make yourself a sash boy scout style to put all of your patches on. Then you could walk into the alley wearing it and have a girl follow you to take it off of you and set it down ceremoniously like a wrestling belt.

• Locked thread