Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zarron
Sep 1, 2005
To me it says a lot when I don't hate or I'm not annoyed by any character in a rpg. (There is always one character that I hate using or hearing about.) Yet, persona 3 and 4 managed to pull this feat off twice. Which is why at this point I don't care who else is in the game. Just add on to the awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

LightningKimba posted:

:eng101: She was the original leader of SEES (Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad) before the MC of P3 came into town, and is not only the valedictorian in her grade, but also the class president, AND the captain of the fencing team (Which is why she uses fencing weapons).

To make a long story short, she fought Shadows the most out of SEES, because of how she's the child of the head of the Kijiro Group, who originally discovered these mental bad boys. As I written in the OP, she uses ice spells, and also has some status changing ones, and she's a pretty cool girl.

You should post the link to the Persona 3 Lets Play in the OP, it's really quite good.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
edit: ^^^ and yes, read the LP, very good stuff

Niddhogg posted:

Sword + fur coat lady is cool whats her story?

She shoots herself in the head a lot and summons a pretty cool demon as a result. She's also pretty unflappable in the face of all the poo poo that goes down in the events during Persona 3.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Even as a fairly well-educated consumer of 2D fighters, reading that OP makes my head spin. It sounds like a mashup of every single mechanic from BBCS and Arcana Heart. Which, in retrospect, might just be crazy enough to work. ArcSys is the goddamn Doc Brown of the fighting game world.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

More P4:UMA stuffs, including the cast's Awakening moves. Should I even bother adding the stages to the OP?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/content.php?275-Persona4-Arena-system-guide-and-move-lists-revealed.-Location-Test-this-weekend

Here's some news about stuff :| Loketest this weekend.

I also made an IRC channel for the game. #p4arena on synirc.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Waterbed posted:

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/content.php?275-Persona4-Arena-system-guide-and-move-lists-revealed.-Location-Test-this-weekend

Here's some news about stuff :| Loketest this weekend.

I also made an IRC channel for the game. #p4arena on synirc.

Goin' into the OP that I'm now hell-bent on editing. A lot.

We also have these notes bein' translated too. Man, today's a good day for Persona news.

LightningKimba fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 2, 2011

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Hasn't there been a loctest going on for the last few days? Shouldn't there be some footage by now?

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Evil Canadian posted:

Hasn't there been a loctest going on for the last few days? Shouldn't there be some footage by now?

It's how I got info on Teddie and Naoto. The tests, like everything in Japan, don't allow for cameras and such, so we're gonna have to wait for ATLUS to post videos themselves.

And here's some assorted notes:

quote:

No one actually chose Aki's second color scheme, but I saw a guy look at it briefly before switching back to his normal colors. All I could see was that his hair was black. Mitsuru's clothes don't change much, but she has blond hair and blue eyes. Aigis gets bright red hair and her armor becomes gray-ish.

The flow of battle is basically pretty slick. Often times Personas are simply a natural part of an effective combo and can be used quite intuitively, but I saw where they can also be utilized to supplement certain attacks. For example, Naoto's Persona, Sukuna Hikona, has an attack where it goes invisible and moves across the screen, where the player can then activate it have it appear and instantly slash the opponent a few times. Coupling this with her gun was a pretty effective combination that allowed for decent damage from the opposite side of the screen.

The characters are all pretty different, based on how my opponents tended to fight. I opted to play as Naoto each time, so I didn't see much variety in the characters I played. I can tell you that if you like auto-winning, Kanji has a stupidly powerful move that starts out with a simple grab, and if you get caught by it, it does a ton of damage and you can't break out of it. It killed me at TGS, and one of my opponents spammed it today as well. In true joke character fashion, Teddie's Persona can fling random trash (oil drums, cans, poisonous curry, etc.) around, which makes fighting him a little tricky. I bring these two up because they were kind of obnoxious to fight against. But yeah, each character felt quite different, though some of them, like Yu, are straight-forward to the point where they feel like rather typical fighting game characters,

A number of the characters seemed to have ranged attacks. Naoto's gun is faster than most of them, but I feel like Aigis's guns are more threatening. Then again, I played a lot of Naoto and I found her gun to be pretty boss. She can fire six shots before having to either reload or disengage aim mode, so she can't exactly spam bullets. The bullets are, however, quite effective. I would also be more concerned with the fact that she has Hamaon/Mudoon. I saw another player successfully land Hamaon. It was so cool.

Life has no meaning unless you accept Naoto as your queen.

quote:

Good to hear. I was mostly worried since it seemed like Kanji and Yukiko didn't really have combos with their persona, but I'm glad I was wrong.

Yeah. Yukiko players seemed to be comboing really well with her Persona. Her Persona has a few good moves, such a wing slash that comes out really quickly, or a slam from above. Kanji players didn't seem to be mixing his Persona into combos much, but a number of them didn't seem to need it as they have a stupidly broken fallback plan.

Yu being straightforward makes sense since he's the player avatar for P4 so it makes sense for him to be a simple/typical fighting game character. That aside, Kanji sounds dangerous since I ended up seeing Kanji's Persona Grab super. Easily tore down poor Yu's healthbar by 60%. Forget American or Soviet Damage, Kanji has "Please stop killing me" damage.

The worst part is that after this stupid broken nonsense plays out, your character bounces off the ground before getting up, and he can grab you again during this bounce. I hesitate to call it an infinite (especially since I didn't master using bursts), but I couldn't break out of it.

Then I might have a problem since I want to call Naoto, Chie, Mitsuru and Elisabeth my "queens".

This is also acceptable. Mitsuru aside, I am rather partial to that list of lovely ladies.

So how do the Mudo/Hama skills in this game work? I imagine Naoto would be pretty broken if she were capable of delivering instant death attacks on her opponents.

Naoto's opponent has a fate gauge beneath their health. It appears as a gray skull with a number next to it. When that number reaches zero (it appears that specific attacks lower this number, and it regenerates a couple of points between rounds), the skull turns red and starts laughing. When this occurs, if Naoto can land Hamaon/Mudoon, the opponent dies instantly.

In one of the screenshots, he has a little Tornado icon above his super meter. Any comment as to what that means?

Also, given that Mitsuru and Akihiko have their Invokers, do they actually do the "shoot yourself" motion during any of their persona attacks?

I couldn't tell. The Akihiko players I observed didn't seem to be able to increase that counter much at all. As for those animations, the game moves very fast, so it's hard to tell. In addition to this, Personas can be summoned mid-combo, making it so that a Persona can come out while its user is occupied with other attacks. This leads me to believe that the animations are not in the game.

Did you play a lot or see a lot of play? If so who were those you noticed played a lot or not played?

I got to play four matches before the deafening arcade sounds and cigarette smoke had me feeling sick and unable to hear. While waiting between matches, I watched plenty of other people play. Most people stuck with Yu, Chie, and Yukiko. There were also a good number of Kanji, Mitsuru, and Akihiko players. The least popular characters seemed to be Teddie, Naoto, and Yosuke.

What can you tell me about Yukiko? which char plays like her?

For whatever reason, I didn't actually pay attention to Yukiko matches. In my first match, I defeated a Yukiko. She seems pretty all-round. She has projectiles in the form of fans that she throws. Sorry I don't have much to say about her. I do like her alternate colors though. She looks like Alice.

How is Ishikawa this time of year?

How is Mitsuru's swordplay?

If you're feeling nice you can brief me on Chie as well, thanks!

I haven't been to Ishikawa. If it's anything like Osaka, the weather has been a little chilly and the vibrant colors of the autumn leaves are most beautiful. I went to Kiyomizudera in Kyoto, where they are having an event where they illuminate the leaves at night and it felt somewhat ethereal. I love this season so much.

Mitsuru's swordplay is pretty cool. She's very fast and her sword glows and leaves either a red or golden trail, which is neat. One of her supers(?) is basically her critical attack animation, where she slashes a bunch of times and then ends with a kick.

Chie is awesome. I played as her at TGS. She combos like a dream and is very fast. God Hand, as amazing as it is, only hits where Tomoe currently is, making it hard to position at times. Agneyastra is good, but easy to block. Otherwise, she's great. I also like her alternate colors.

quote:

Any Aigis impressions you can pass on, or anyone else I suppose (but mostly Aigis).

I lost to an Aigis. She had this pretty rough combo where she smacked me down, jumped up and shot a barrage of bullets as I bounced, which caused me to bounce high into the air, where she hit me with a super that involved Athena rushing me with her shield. She did it a couple of times and it bugged me. Otherwise, she's able to put on a lot of pressure with her ranged game. When I managed to get in close, she was a lot easier to deal with.

And why have you guys not shared any vids ;--;

I didn't think to bring my camera. I did see a couple of people with cameras recording matches, so the videos could well be out there.

What alt colors does Naoto have?

I loved her alternate colors and chose them every time. Her hat and jacket were a beige color, while her pants were red plaid. Her hair was brown and her eyes remained blue. Looked somehow quite fitting for a detective.

Tell me, how is it having three Electricity castors (Yu, Kanji, and Akihiko)? Do they manage to keep all their Elec-based attacks different and varied or is there some overlap in spells?

They're varied. One of Yu's supers has him shoot a giant beam of electricity that extends across the screen. Izanagi can also shoot off a small, short-distance ball of electricity, or it could be an electric punch. Kanji has less of a focus on electricity, but his Persona seems to add electricity to its physical attacks, like that most infuriating grab combo of his. Akihiko has an electric move that covers the screen in electricity. It comes out really fast. Really, none of them seem to share even one electric move.

Huh. I didn't expect it to actually be an instant death skill. To be honest I'm still pretty confused. It sounds like it could be incredibly broken or incredibly useless, depending on how easy/hard it is to land.

The spells themselves didn't look hard to land. Mudoon is a darkness beam that shoots across the screen. Hamaon is a light beam that shoots up from the ground. It seemed to originate from under the opponent's feet, when I saw it hit. I also saw one player cast Mudoon, but it was executed in the air, so the opponent just stayed on the ground. When I saw it connect, it took Mitsuru from over 50% down to nothing. The hard part is in getting the fate gauge down to zero. The lowest I got it down to was two one time.

quote:

- If you've been a Testament player from GG or a Mu-13 of BB, you're going to feel right at home with Naoto. Long range normals and a solid zoning game would make you think she's just that. The traps are her big ticket, advanced play poo poo. Learning to control Sukuna Hikona is going to be the difference in landing high damaging combos and netting you the Hamoan/Mudoon kill. Players were capable of using the 5D Sukuna attacks to pin foes down while Naoto was able to space for combos. If you're not sure how either of those characters worked, go look them up on YouTube to get an idea.

Do note, Naoto doesn't have that large of an arsenal of disjointed hitboxes. It's mainly the gun zoning and Sukuna that gives her such range, as well as her standing B. Against characters with large melee range, great mobility, or impressive Persona attacks, you're going to find yourself in a major predicament. Examples include: Narukami and Chie were giving the Naoto players a hard time.

- Fate Unlimited Codes Archer players rejoice, your management of meter bars is gonna be huge here too. If you're that beast, it's possible to use Hamaoan/Mudoon kills every round. Absolutely not practical, but picking up on how the reduction and recover system works between rounds can easily net you a comeback or a match sealer. In F:UC, Archer players could spend meter to set up his Unlimited Blade Works (correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while) Noble Phantasm and literally seal the deal for a round. Naoto has it the same way, though you can't just get all three charges in one combo. Managing your meter between Medigo traps and the Fate reduction is gonna be the main focus of the Shirogane players.

- Unlike other Personas in the game thus far, Sukuna's small size makes it harder for the foe to hit him. What sucks though, is that the hurtbox on him is larger than his sprite depicts itself. He's also vulnerable during the warp and some even say his blade is a hurtbox (I don't buy it.) Naoto isn't as dependent on her Persona as say, Yukiko or Mitsuru. His main job is to get in and ping the opponent a few times to set up for a bigger combo.

- Reloading the bullets is pretty crucial. Don't forget to do that. Arcana Heart 3 players should know what this means.

- Name of the game is control. She can bulldog and zone, but her forte lies in staying mobile and keeping the opponent pestered with shots and Sukuna, with your secondary objective in setting up for a final round Hamaon or Mudoon kill. Both hypers are a pain to combo into, and don't pull a MvC Mudoon hail mary tactic. It's not fast enough to do that, with most of Naoto's hypers kinda mediocre as a reversal. Her meter building is decent, but her hypers are all great. Silence wrecks Mitsuru and especially Yukiko, while knocking down the fate counter of tanks like Kanji and Akihiko gives her another option of approach. Doesn't do a whole lot of damage alone, so you'll need to coordinate your attacks appropriately. Medigo traps are a must.

LightningKimba fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 4, 2011

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
A small amount of loctest footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4yqL8I39sg4

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

rivals posted:

A small amount of loctest footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4yqL8I39sg4

Huh, Teddie's head partially comes off for a second... but no blonde bishie can be seen.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bunch of new screenshots

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Those stages look gorgeous.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
When is this game supposed to drop again? I need to import this immediately once it drops. I hope Altus have a fast way get this over to the states.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

zarron posted:

When is this game supposed to drop again? I need to import this immediately once it drops. I hope Altus have a fast way get this over to the states.

Summer 2012 for consoles.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Considering Atlus had a near simultaneous release for the last fighting game they published (KoFXIII) one for this game wouldn't be outlandish or anything.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Check out these new clips of some super moves!

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Dude, you're totally on the ball with the news stuffs. Goin' right into the OP!

EDIT: Apparently from Dec. 22-25th, there will be another loke test. Hooray for more data!

LightningKimba fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 18, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

A bunch of new move videos featuring Teddie, Naoto, Aigis, Mitsuru, and Akihiko

So uh does Naoto just casually combo into a Fatal KO super like out of Fist of the North Star in her video 2? :stare:

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Policenaut posted:

So uh does Naoto just casually combo into a Fatal KO super like out of Fist of the North Star in her video 2? :stare:

It's a property of the character, if the skull meter below the opponent's lifebar is at zero then hama/mudo will instant kill.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Policenaut posted:

I've been eyeballing this thread from the beginning, liking Guilty Gear, liking Persona 4 and maybe 3. Just casually curious.

But holy poo poo do I want this game now. This just seems to be exactly what I wanted from a P4 fighting game. drat you Atlus. drat you...

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Hopefully this game comes out at a reasonable time next year... Really excited for it and the only arcades near me won't get it I'm sure. Doubt anywhere in america besides Texas might buy it honestly.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

Waterbed posted:

Hopefully this game comes out at a reasonable time next year... Really excited for it and the only arcades near me won't get it I'm sure. Doubt anywhere in america besides Texas might buy it honestly.

That's what I am afraid of. If the US get arcade cabinets of this it will be the first (and only) time I will EVER make a road trip to play a game. Because where I live (Ga) wont be getting any. :(

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Edited the OP with expanded bios for the cast, trying to make it more easier to understand the game, though... Sadly, I'm not completely sure what to add, which is why I do need some help with want to put in. Like, would putting in the super moves video help? Maybe expand the character sections a little more?

EDIT: Some dude at dustloop made some sprites, check it:

Also videos of December loketest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w28UnjYWLZ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ8XBgYNS58

LightningKimba fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 23, 2011

The Hater
Aug 4, 2007

Friday Friday in the club on Friday, we we we so excited

LightningKimba posted:

Edited the OP with expanded bios for the cast, trying to make it more easier to understand the game, though... Sadly, I'm not completely sure what to add, which is why I do need some help with want to put in. Like, would putting in the super moves video help? Maybe expand the character sections a little more?

EDIT: Some dude at dustloop made some sprites, check it:

Also videos of December loketest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w28UnjYWLZ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ8XBgYNS58

judging from the videos, it seems that they changed the persona meter to tarot cards now.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

LightningKimba posted:

Videos! :swoon:

Holy hot loving drat, Kanji looks great. That midair lunge command throw looks great, and gives some awesome damage. And it's pretty fast, and covers a good deal of ground, too.

Between this and SG, I'm looking forward to next year's grappler superiority.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
So are they putting the P3rotagonist in this or do I have to cry myself to sleep at night?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
uhhh...you do remember what happens at the end of that game right? Not that fighting games should actually follow plot points to the letter or anything but yeah.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

And if they did do the P3 protagonist, I bet it would be the FemC anyway.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Naota versus Persona 3 protagonist could be weird.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Naota versus Persona 3 protagonist could be weird.

I for one would love to see Orpheus smack dudes with his lyre, even if it's impossible for now. Clearly this means Elizabeth needs to show up.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
At first, I thought this game was going to suck and be like a licensed fighting game, but now it is looking fabulous. I might just buy this title, and I don't even like fighting games.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

And if they did do the P3 protagonist, I bet it would be the FemC anyway.

They should just say "gently caress it" and put in the male and female protagonist as an ice climbers-style character.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Eeevil posted:

They should just say "gently caress it" and put in the male and female protagonist as an ice climbers-style character.

Female MC controlling Male MC's body Carl Clover style :black101:

e: and they both have their own Personas.

a glitch fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 24, 2011

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
This game is gonna own can't wait to hama and mudo everyone and just shoot everything up I'm hella hype, ikimasu!!~~

Cinroth fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 24, 2011

The Hater
Aug 4, 2007

Friday Friday in the club on Friday, we we we so excited

Cinroth posted:

This game is gonna own can't wait to hama and mudo everyone and just shoot everything up I'm hella hype, ikimasu!!~~

I just fuckin wish that they were actually sticking to the STORY of the game and let you change personas with the main character so you could do poo poo like this from the highly-regarded animation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c5QSbHIlaU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Hater posted:

I just fuckin wish that they were actually sticking to the STORY of the game and let you change personas with the main character so you could do poo poo like this from the highly-regarded animation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c5QSbHIlaU

Man, he has some crappy low level Persona for that part in the game! He needs to do more fusing.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

ImpAtom posted:

Man, he has some crappy low level Persona for that part in the game! He needs to do more fusing.

He should just punch everything with his beefy forearm, toned from fist-clenching twelve thousand times before breakfast every day.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

The Hater posted:

Does the show really have all of them, including Rise just stand around like that every time they fight? Something about that just looks really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Momomo posted:

Does the show really have all of them, including Rise just stand around like that every time they fight? Something about that just looks really annoying.

No, not really. This was just a Protagonist Moment.

It's a really good adaptation, I highly recommend it and you can stream it for free here if you're in the US.

• Locked thread