Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/content.php?275-Persona4-Arena-system-guide-and-move-lists-revealed.-Location-Test-this-weekend

Here's some news about stuff :| Loketest this weekend.

I also made an IRC channel for the game. #p4arena on synirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Hopefully this game comes out at a reasonable time next year... Really excited for it and the only arcades near me won't get it I'm sure. Doubt anywhere in america besides Texas might buy it honestly.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

LightningKimba posted:

- Kanji's described as "Tager without magnetism" or "Birdie with a Stand".

Haha this is the most low tier sounding phrasing ever.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Endorph posted:

Admittedly I paid no attention to the Alpha series, but wasn't Birdie decent in Alpha 2?

No.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

S-Alpha posted:

Tager was the character who got me started on grapplers, so I'm not too familiar with Potemkin, and as such I can't hate him. But really, the biggest issues with Tager tend to involve his rear end mobility, and from what I've seen in gameplay, Kanji at least has the ability to get around the room without too much trouble. With what I've seen of his damage, it seems like they've got themselves a decent midpoint with Kanji.

Of course, you still get cases like the people I play BB with, who are dead set on the idea that Tager is broken as poo poo. :v:

Tager's problem had little to do with mobility and was instead Arc System's refusal to give him any stable or meaningful tools to accomplish consistent mixups or get into range. Sledge was mostly useless versus anyone with reaction time unless you were already in, Spark simply countered action, rather than created meaningful ways to get in etc.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I would very much describe that as a mobility problem.

Rest of your points are of course correct, Tager's problem was that literally everything about him was bad.

I don't really tie things like putting armor on B Sledge or forcing magnetism to get the other person into range as a mobility problem.

Edit: Also having a 720 was probably the biggest problem, I'm almost positive that's why they didn't give him a double jump and you have to consider him around having the most frustrating move in the game for other players which generally delegates him to "poo poo tier". People still thought Tager was broken as hell at low levels despite their efforts. They certainly could have gotten creative and tied interesting magnetism options to counteract his lack of mobility though.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 14, 2012

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Arcade release is March 1st. So we'll be seeing videos in about a week.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Yeah when I saw the system mechanics I was basically wondering why there wasn't an extra button, even if it was just Dust (sweep/overhead). Diagonal presses seem really annoying to me.

FWIW apparently the guy who designed this game was like the lead programmer of the GG series or something.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
That could potentially be the boss character in Arcade.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXro_54r3Ls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw4b4fccblA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpqYRKrZ2nM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3gv7UY8fKs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjPa2l-xfpg

This game looks amazing.

Beginning of video 3 is... well. It's HnK as hell.

Edit: Well, on second look, it just looks like a super with an unblockable part that looks like people are accidentally jumping into. Oops.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 2, 2012

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgGCd8jbo-M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtRW3Ke-KgM

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Here's a top (US) Blazblue/Melty player going over stuff in the game: http://www.twitch.tv/jiyuna/b/311117978 He's won or done really well in a lot of US tournaments and currently lives in Japan.

It's pretty disorganized but he goes into some system stuff that's interesting.

It seems like this game has really, really low barrier for execution to be passably decent but tons of hardcore style mechanics that aren't super forgiving. It's a really interesting mix and I'm wondering if the game will last a long time because it doesn't seem like there's a lot of "hard" stuff. There's still plenty of bullshit and options though.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O1EnjhIbD0

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Spiking posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv93cmfwQPk

This video has some really good Kanji stuff... Showed me some combos I didn't know he had. Specifically it seems like in the corner he can do about 50%. I didn't know he could pick up people off of Air grab D either. Cool!!

Yeah the more this game gets figured out the more ridiculous the damage is.

I was thinking this game would have Blazblue damage but it's looking closer and closer to GGAC levels.

This Kanji is sick. He looks a lot less straightforward than I originally figured, the DP hold, D moves and air grab all look really interesting. There's a video somewhere of him baiting backdash with a quick jump -> special air grab. I assume it's going to be plausible to do that plus using your jump to avoid people doing wakeup stuff to beat both options.

Edit: The chair super looks kind of crummy to me though :/

anime was right fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 12, 2012

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
There's probably just move proration (a hit detemrines % of damage in rest of combo) and standard scaling outside of that.

Using Burst 1 more cancel change the proration of your combo so it does more damage.

You do 100% when someone is out of awakening, 66?% when someone is in it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
"Persona 4: The Ultimate in Santonaka Arena."

God help me if this becomes a running joke.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Well there's a patch soon so it's probably not a big deal.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

dj_de posted:

Why would you even care about english voices when they have the japanese audio anways?

Atlus commonly does not leave Japanese audio in their games.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I'm gonna play Narukami because I want to be an idiot and he looks like the funnest character to be an idiot with.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

dj_de posted:

Parts of this tier list confuse me. Sure Aegis is good but not like BEST CHARACTER IN THE GAME tier. Akihiko ranked above Narukami and Chie? Naoto second worst character? Elizabeth the WORST character?

They're not ordered by power in their tier you dummyface.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I don't think Atlus would argue with more money.

It depends. Arcsys could need that development team for other projects :) But they seem to be good at porting over stuff to handhelds and still make arcade updates so it's probably not out of the question to expect it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Who'd have thought an Arcsys grappler does terrible in tournaments? Inconceivable.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

MadRhetoric posted:

Potemkin in GGXX and Accent Core? Tager in the last version of BB wasn't rear end, either.

Potemkin was unplayably bad in every Guilty Gear until Slash where he was low-mid tier.

Point is, Arcsystems grapplers are generally not very good. Well, except Donvalve.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

uncleKitchener posted:

Has he got armour on any of his moves?

ninja edit: also are there variable health bars in this game or are all characters the same in terms of HP?

Characters have different HP values.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Antillese posted:

So what's the story on Chie's and Teddy's B+D counter? It's like a counter that will get you out of block stun, do a bit of damage and will cause you to take blue damage? I take it that the blue damage requirement is the disincentive to B+D counter every single hit?

Their B+D action functions exactly like a parry in any other fighting game.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Not really, because you can parry during guard stun in 3S, for example.

That's why I didn't mention 3s :) Special move counters are in many games.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

S-Alpha posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VooKojs7DDk

:catstare:

(I'm totally looking forward to playing both of them, character placement be damned.)

FYI This video is a tournament with a skill cap. So pretty much no one who's actually great at the game is playing. They're not terrible either, but it's a bad way to disprove a tier list.

Grapplers are notoriously good at low to mid level play...

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Got my copy in the usual place in Newark.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
FYI The 360 version is unplayable online.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

That's been known for a bit dude. Maybe I should have warned everyone?

I'm reiterating it. It's not bad. It's god awful. Can't even play people close to you without it running at below 50% speed.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I just got back from Big 2. I did a little bit of commentary and there's two matches that will get uploaded later. One of me vs Alzarath, and another of me vs Chris G.

Please give feedback on the commentary! :) I want to be a commentator for this game.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Oh man the 360 netcode actually works now and it's awesome.

Though I think ranked is hosed, that doesn't bother me a lot. I've played around 14 matches and won 12 of them (both of them vs 600+ PSR liz and Slab...) and haven't had any problems, but now my name is red, as if I'm a leaver (??) It also takes like upwards of THIRTY SECONDS to report a ranked match after you win. I won some of the matches I played faster than that! I also managed to get hate mail really fast.

The laggiest game I had made it hard to do a reversal but it's overall pretty solid.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

NecroMonster posted:

Oh jeez. You can do 5aa2a with kanji, confirm a crouching hit or not on that, and then 5b2b if you got the crouching hit and it's not only easier to get the 5b2b to chain and cancel the 2b into a special, but it's also just the hugest drat hitconfirm ever. 5aa5b2b is an even easier hit confirm, and leaves your enemy closer if they blocked, but it lacks a low in it to keep their blocking honest.

You don't want to do that hitconfirm because you need AA to confirm if they're in the air to do the followup. The 2A also knocks them out of range for a lot of good tick setups.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jmcrofts posted:

If you do 5aa with kanji and confirm it's hitting them standing, what can you even do off that? 5b, sweep into chair slam?

2A or 2B, 2AB, QCFA is the best setup yes. You can't do a lot of damage to a standing person off 5A as Kanji.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Kanji has horrible mid range game, duck his air beatdown move and learn a really good Fatal Counter combo to follow up with a punish. Jump around a lot and press light attacks, because that will beat his air grab startup and bait his reversal.

Pressing buttons outside of his 5b range is a great way to just kill his persona.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPWTGt042YI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXvwF5cIOPc
Here's the matches I played on stream before I had to catch the bus home :( I DQed myself in losers after losing the second game.

Also my title is currently Amazing Heck Hog.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Countblanc posted:

What are my options as Kanji when I land a fatal counter 5C? It seems too far to do anything with barring OMC shenanigans and even then I'm not sure.

If it's absolutely max range you MIGHT be able to do QCF+B~QCB+B. Maybe. Or super. Otherwise you're stuck with 2C. I'll double check on the first one.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Waterbed posted:

If it's absolutely max range you MIGHT be able to do QCF+B~QCB+B. Maybe. Or super. Otherwise you're stuck with 2C. I'll double check on the first one.

Followup: This doesn't work.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

LibbyM posted:

Does it really work that way? That's awful. Someone could potentially get a red name if they were just pretty good early and happened to get matched up against a bunch of rage quitters. That person would then have a hard time finding matches for ages until they could improve their record.

I have a red name and I've completed around 70 games in ranked, and have zero incomplete ones.

It's bugged out lol.

It doesn't really stop me from playing too many people though surprisingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Slab is mid tier.

She's really hard to play.

• Locked thread