Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So this probably isn't gonna get an Australian release, is it?

Shame, that, I was quite looking forward to it. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm pretty much obligated to play Akihiko, mostly because I'm known for playing a character who also punches and uses electricity. That is, if the game comes out here. Seen no proof it will, but I'm hoping.

Maybe it's my experience with non-ASW fighting games, but Elizabeth apparently ending up down the bottom surprises me given she's the super-secret final unlockable character. I mean that's good, it means she's tourney-legal and picking her isn't an immediate rear end in a top hat action at parties, but still.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Katsudon posted:

Yeah, almost. It was a late 2008 release iirc. I only remember this because my friend was recently surprised at the revelation about this AND Tales of Vesperia coming out before P4.

Now for a real :stare: think of how long it's been since P3.

For both games it started to be a bit of a mindfuck when I realized that, according to the dates, they're both now set in the past.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yu sounds a bit too much like Adachi for my friend's tastes, but I'm liking the new voice actors for Chie and Teddie - which surprised me, I guess Teddie's just wore on me after a while but is totally acceptable for just an errant line or two.

Is that really Yuri Lownthall still voicing Yosuke? I thought I'd gotten good at picking Lowenthall's voice, but he actually sounds tangibly different this time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
All of those phrases are exaggerated and vaguely insulting descriptions of their character. Naoto's the only one that seems to pick up on it in that trailer.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'd call Yukari unlikely - isn't she an alternate costume for Chie?

Junpei's the most likely in my mind, taking those alternate costumes into account - I found his exclusion suspicious when he probably suits Kanji's style better than Baofu anyway. Koromaru's not impossible either.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
...They're... what?

...No seriously, what? I need details, man.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

At first I thought you were joking.

My god, he was just toying with that Kanji. "You thought you were gonna win? Yeah gently caress YOU I can beat you with less than a fingernail's worth of health."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
God drat Akihiko looks complicated.

It inordinately entertained me when I saw that they didn't forget the Evokers, though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Honest Thief posted:

So, for whatever non disclosed reason, P4a is region locked on the PS3. Thanks Atlus.

Damnit, I don't have any Australian friends who're planning to get this game!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Honest Thief posted:

I think Aussies get hosed as well, since theyre the same region as us Euros I believe.

Always have, always will.

At least the P4U Europe site has a date of 2012, and if we're lucky they'll hold themselves to that. So at the worst, we'll only get it a third of a year after the US, not half.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Cheap Trick posted:

We'll get the usual choice of paying $100 to a local retailer, or waiting weeks for the game to be shipped from your choice of European online retailer. This is a lovely deal. :australia:

Yeah, after a while I just got used to the best situation being 'maybe this time they'll only kick me in the dick a little bit'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
They overcomplicated that idea.

Dojima doesn't need a goddamn Persona. He just waltzes into the arena, slightly drunk, and delivers an old-fashioned classic-style beatdown. Maybe he has a Persona, I dunno, it doesn't matter either way because he doesn't use it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Junpei's been my bet for a DLC character the whole time, because he has a fighting style that isn't really represented in the game otherwise (Yu uses a katana, but that's the closest we have to someone wielding a big sword without any real idea how). He's also the P3 character I'm most interested in seeing a couple years after the game's events. He's got the sort of directionless, short-sighted attitude that would in most situations lead to kind of a crash when high school ends and he has to start thinking about stuff, but I think he's also got the drive to want to make something of his life. I'm genuinely curious where he'd end up after high school.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Atlus' moveset videos are complete now, we got Teddie. (edit: Unless they're doing videos for the Labryses and Elizabeth, which they could indeed be doing)

Looks like he could be an interesting character, I'm not so sure about 'good'.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 12, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Dogbutt posted:

Where did you see these silhouettes?

Looks like it's part of a cutscene.

Linking because while I don't know the context, this might be spoiler-y

Looks like Junpei in the hat to the right of Mitsuru, same general silhouette and pose. Some of the others look like they should be recognizable, but not by me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm not sure those are supposed to "be" any characters in particular (except Mitsuru, obviously).

I thought that at first too, but I think they're too distinct to be that. If they're meant to be just generic figures, why would they have distinguishing characteristics like the baseball cap, clearly different hairstyles, and varied styles of dress? It's just slightly too much effort to go through for throwaway silhouettes.

My running theory is that while we aren't supposed to read anything into it, the artist used silhouettes of established characters possibly just to gently caress with us but most likely because it was less work.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Really Europe's best hope is that the local publishers have more than normal riding on this. Dealing with a bigger company and franchise than they normally do, and this whole region-locking debacle, might actually kick them into gear and releasing in anything resembling a reasonable timeframe.

Or it'll get them stuck in meeting rooms puzzling over what to do about this and they'll release even later than they would have, but if they do that then we won't really see any appreciable difference.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

It is absolutely amazing what a proper hairstyle does for her.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Oxxidation posted:

Probably Elizabeth. If anything, Yu's is the one you should finish first, because it gives you the clearest idea of what's going on (aside from, oddly enough, Naoto's of all people).

Naoto's a detective, if anyone has an answer to 'what the gently caress' it's her.

Any idea on where I can pick this up in Australia when it comes out, presumably next week? I've never had great luck on finding Atlus games here for fairly obvious reasons.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jehuti posted:

Is this even coming out in australia¿ I haven't been able to find out anything.

The European release date is supposedly on the seventh according to any source I can find, but the Persona Europe Facebook page seems to have been saying that Zen doesn't actually know. I've found no word whatsoever on an Australian date, but presumably we'd be in the European region and so able to use the European version when it comes out, right?

EDIT: JB Hi-Fi apparently has it for pre-order with a release date of New Year's Eve, but I'm pretty sure that's a placeholder. Amazon UK says the 31st, but nothing else does.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 29, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

EQFiddleCastrol posted:

yeah, it's really too bad. I thought something like that might happen, which is why I wanted to get in on the ground floor, but then poo poo went kaboom and I couldn't play most of the last month. oh well

ohhhhhh welllllllll :(

At least you have the game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Stelas posted:

It's gotten to the point where I can only laugh about it now. Especially with the Persona Europe facebook posting fanart and gameplay videos while people gnash their teeth.

I do not envy the guy whose job it is to update that Facebook and Twitter. All things considered he's doing amazing, but that really has to be the worst job.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
yeah, this ain't happening. I was only interested in the story anyway, so I guess I'll hold out for a Let's Play.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Modular Horse Bits posted:

Also, it's jarring enough that Yu Narukami is voiced, but why did they use the same actor as frigging Adachi? My ex kept rereading all his lines in Creepy Raper Guy voice.

JYB voiced him in Persona 4 proper, but he didn't do much but yell Persona names in that so you didn't notice (Yuri Lowenthall voiced the P3 MC as well as Ryoji, Pharos and Yosuke, you can hear it with them sometimes).

Even then, it's not as bad here because yes, his voice is shared with Adachi, but Adachi isn't in this game. It gets bad in the anime...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

jtm33 posted:

Some more information about the European release from their Facebook page:

I'm not even sure if I care anymore. Hell, I'm just here for the story, I'm crap at fighting games that aren't Smash Bros, I could just wait for a good LP and get all I want out of it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

LightningKimba posted:

So good news, EU goons! Persona Europe just posted on their Facebook page that P4A's coming to Europe in May! ... Hopefully!

So get hype and hopefully the game will do well in spite of being released nearly a year late in comparison to the US!

I'm legitimately surprised, but I'm also unsure if my poo poo-giving quotient has been depleted by this point.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

dj_de posted:

More importantly

New boss character?

I don't care how this is being explained, all I care is that it's happening.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
He could also get Long Way, from Magatsu Inaba, I suppose. There's a lot of ways he could go.

Shadow Yosuke's the biggest question in my book, since he doesn't really have anything. Even Shadow Chie has Castle.

EDIT: vv I would be very, very okay with Backside of the TV, that's still one of my favorite P4 tracks.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 29, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

BlitzBlast posted:

Man, playable Adachi will be super awkward if the game gets dubbed.

I dunno, I could see it working, since it's probably crazy psycho-mode Adachi, who probably sounds different enough. I didn't watch the dubs of the anime, though, I don't know how it worked in practice.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

flatluigi posted:

What do "we all think he is?"

Yeah, that's what I was going to ask. I know that it's pretty clear that SHO MINAZUKI is Nyarlathotep, but I don't know if that's who he's referring to. And if it isn't, then I have no idea who we all think Sho is.

But I really want to acknowledge and appreciate the fact that, apparently, they decided to use the Japanese equivalent of all-caps to differentiate their names (which I think is writing a Hirigana term in Katakana?). It doesn't really give away any distinct hints for people to read, and it's just so fun to run with it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Dehry posted:

I still just love how Shadow Yu is ripped straight from the anime.

It's an honestly really good design for the character, and gives meaning to some otherwise poitnless imagery from both the game and anime.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

She looks pretty fun. Himiko is kinda scary in battle mode, although I dunno...it feel a little strange to have her fighting for some reason. Then again, it also felt strange that she WASN'T fighting in the first game, seeing as how she wasn't particularly different from any of the other kids. Fuuka at least has a weak constitution and a Persona built around protecting her and scanning around, so it was sort of sensible there, but Rise's just a pop idol. Maybe combat would risk her getting a visible scratch and ruining her career?

Maybe it comes from their actual personas; everyone else in the investigation team is the type to face their problems head-on in some fashion. Yu and Yosuke have the courage to stand up to a foe they might not be able to beat, Chie and Kanji are both very willing to fight for what they believe in, Naoto deals in stripping things down and challenging them, and Yukiko's whole arc in P4 was in grasping some agency in her own life.

In contrast, Rise is probably the least willing and able to actually confront a problem by herself. Indeed, all she wanted to do is hang back, have friends and take it easy for once in her life, so it makes sense that her powers would be in keeping with that, being more support-focused and reliant on those friends she wants to have.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
How old was Koromaru in Persona 3, again?

Because he has to be getting on in years by now.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

taser rates posted:

There's a scan out showing new Ken and Koromaru:
https://twitter.com/takkuten/status/469096226995318784/photo/1

Looking classy as hell

I spy a Theodore.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Zen United is reportedly cut out of the picture of this game's publishing (and presumably the sequel) in Europe, with Atlus taking charge itself: http://shoryuken.com/2014/05/27/atlus-reportedly-taking-charge-of-persona-4-arenas-digital-distribution-in-europe/

Fantastic, in every way. This is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for when SEGA bought Atlus, that they no longer have to publish through other outlets.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yosuke's is at the very least canon; they refer to it in their win quotes against each other.

One possible reason is that they haven't used their Personas for months. That, and the less traumatic experience of the Persona evolution, caused them to regress. The P3 cast have been Shadow operatives likely since The Answer, with the possible exception of Junpei.

According to story mode, most, if not all of the Social Links are canon. The only P4 party member links not alluded to are Naoto's and Rise's, and they might have just not come up.

It was probably just a design decision; the base Personas are more recognizable, and most are probably easier to animate. the P3 characters had theirs evolve by story and all present in the later stages of the game, so we're probably more used to their evolved Personas.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

darealkooky posted:

english labrys because of dat accent

It shouldn't work, but it does.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

PunkBoy posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the gun was empty and he just enjoys holding it.

It's a mind game. You see your opponent bring a gun to the fight, the last thing you expect is for him to kick the poo poo out of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

As I understand it, Kansai is usually translated into a Southern accent, so them going Brooklyn for Labrys is unusual even aside from the fact it's a very strange attempt at it.

I think it fits to have her talking in a weird, not-quite-right accent, though. It was a glitch, who says it has to come out sounding right?

• Locked thread