Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, there's really not a lot to say about the game at this point. The most we know is "Oh hey, there's punching and some spirits that fight with you like JoJo." But whatever, I've got Naoto and Chie, all I need is Adachi to sweeten the pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FuriousGeorge posted:

So what are the chances of this getting localized with the English voice actors? I like the idea of a P4 fighting game, but I don't know how excited I can get if I can't hear Kanji yell "Get bent!" while smashing a guy with a folding chair.

It's Atlus and ArcSys, so odds are very high.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't really care for Akihiko and Mitsuru's designs, they both look really silly and I don't understand why Akihiko is not wearing a shirt or why Mitsuru looks like she walked out of a bad 90s comic.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arcaeris posted:

Well, I'd guess it's because he's a boxer, and typically boxers don't wear a shirt when they fight?

Was he not a boxer in P3 also?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
so wait, Yosuke has a Jin color? Yes! Now I have my training mode dummy set to the character I hate a lot from both Persona 4 and Blazblue.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Policenaut posted:

Atlus USA are doing "everything possible" to keep the full English VA cast list from P3 and 4 for P4: Arena

Can we still get rid of Lowenthal, please? I know the guy's pretty much assured given he works for peanuts, but I hate his voice and everything having to do with his voice-acting.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo, is that Fog as the instant kill music? That's awesome.

EDIT: Oh and Yu uses Izanagi-No-Okami for his instant kill, that's the cherry on top.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 4, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

As cool of an idea as this is I can't imagine them giving him a practical moveset considering he neither has no persona or real fighting skills beyond "gun".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

LightningKimba posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx8VKwYUbFQ

Sounds like Teddie and Rise's original voice actors aren't in.

No, that's Laura Bailey as Rise, still. However Teddie is being voiced by Sam Riegel now and man is it annoying.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wow those titles sound even dumber when they're spoken in English, especially Yu's, I loving hate Yu's. Anyways it seems like every female VA changed, Erin Fitzgerald as Chie sounds significantly different than I imagined in my head, Yukiko sounds a bit like... I can't put my finger on the VA, but it does not sound like Amanda Winn-Lee at all, and Naoto is definitely Michelle Ruff, which I honestly don't mind. I though Kanji's voice was changed at first until I realized that Troy Baker sort of went into Shadow Kanji territory with that voice, which is bizarre given that you'd think Kanji is the one character whose voice wouldn't need to be changed much for this game. Literally the only female VA from the main group they seemed to have got back was Laura Bailey for Rise and really, Laura Bailey is in like everything at this point so this should come as no surprise.

And yes, that is in fact Patrick Seitz (Ragna - Blazblue, Dracula - Castlevania, Bob - Tekken 6) as the announcer, which is pretty drat great. Sam Riegel as Teddie isn't really doing it for me, I honestly find it kind of hard to believe that Dave Wittenberg was not attainable in some way.

Cleretic posted:

Is that really Yuri Lownthall still voicing Yosuke? I thought I'd gotten good at picking Lowenthall's voice, but he actually sounds tangibly different this time.

Yes, that is Lowenthal's voice, no it does not sound different, he's just fast-paced now because he's in a fighting game and kind of has to be.

/I know too much about English VA's.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Katsudon posted:

Except Amanda's been talking about recording for this game on her Facebook (she's also said some uh... interesting things about the fate of the anime dub) so that is indeed 100% her.

Alright, I did not know that, thanks.

quote:

Also Naoto's voice to me is very obviously her original VA? :confused: I'm confused as to why you guys would think otherwise, I only hear a very vague resemblance to Michelle Ruff to be honest.

Because that's clearly not her. I've heard Susan Dalian enough to know her voice from Storm, Haku and Naoto, Naoto's voice in the trailer is too high pitched from what I heard to be her and Michelle Ruff's been in way more stuff, so she's much easier to recognize. Now, I'm more than likely just jumping to conclusions since I've only heard one line from that trailer so I'll retract my statement until I get a more definitive sound clip.

EDIT:

Lucinice posted:

The voice acting industry sounds like a bad industry to work in.

Japanese VA's are actually kind of treated like stars over there, however in the West it's not very kind to you unless you're a part of one of the high profile cartoons like anything on Fox or Disney Movies. I've listened to some commentary on Anime DVD's and while they do love their job, the western VAs acknowledge that it doesn't really make much, I believe either Chris Patton or Jay Hickman stated that they had to sleep in their car at one point.

DOUBLE EDIT: Mind you, Steve Blum is probably living well due to being a rather high profile VA due to voicing over 200 characters in the past two decades.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 8, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can I get a recommendation of offensive-based characters with no gimmicks? I've been looking, but I don't think I can find a good idea of who I'd like to use with good speed and simplicity. I think Akihiko or Chie, but I can't be certain if those two are good choices for what I'm looking for.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo, how big can you make a hitbox?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Radish posted:

I know the voice actor for Adachi is the same guy that did the main character's voice in battle and stuff but it looks like he's doing everything for him now. When he talks in the story I can't not hear Adachi saying it...

I can because whenever I remember Adachi's voice it's whenever he's loving nuts since that's when he's most memorable..

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Speedball posted:

According to something I read, Teddie's name in Japanese is just "Kuma." "Bear." Probably wouldn't have translated as well... hm. Couldn't they have called him "Barry?"

No, because that would not be as great as "Teddie".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It really doesn't sound like Mela Lee at all, it sounds more like Wendee Lee in all honesty.

EDIT: Yeah, I listened again it's definitely Wendee Lee.

DOUBLE EDIT: Unless they list the voice cast in the game in which case I need to pay attention to the credits.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: They do not list the voice cast, so I'm sticking with my current assumption.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 9, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It would but I don't think many people would be fans of leaving their consoles on forever to get a dumb navigator.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still remember GGXX's extra challenges and BBCS' score attacks. Literally the worst times I had unlocking something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gearhead posted:

He's also the voice of Nyarlathothep in the P2 remake. :haw:

He also voiced Philemon in the P1 remake.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oxxidation posted:

Is there a reliable way to get past Elizabeth beamspam?

Super Jump from the beam and then air dash towards Liz when you hit the peak of your jump, you should basically be right in front of her when Ziodyne is clearing up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Speedball posted:

So, any bets on what the other members of SEES look like now that they're older and can pick their own clothing? Because, really, Akihiko's design still floors me.

I have to assume only Akihiko and Mitsuru did this stupid crap as they're the only ones eccentric enough to think those are good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Snix posted:

The bad guy is currently unknown, but it's currently speculated that it's Nyarlathotep, the villain from P1 and P2. He fits the bill too, since he can manipulate people and would know much about the Persona-users and Shadows.

I was under the impression that it's two guys though. One is the guy who most of the P4 cast encounters when Labrys gets hacked and has the robot voice, the other is what I think is Nyarlathotep with the fake shadow versions of Naoto and the P3 Cast and sending Labrys to attack them.

I mean, it's quite possible it's just Nyarlathotep, but someone had to put together the hijacking at the start and I believe that Nyarls wouldn't have had the robot voice had he possessed Labrys directly, so there's obviously another dude working with him that's human.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Releasing games for consoles people own is a logical decision, but it didn't stop them from making Persona 4 Golden a Vita exclusive.

This is because Japan loves handheld games more than anything else and rather than gimp the game out a lot for PSP, they just went with the new handheld that could keep all of the stuff in the game while adding more, it's pretty simple. Atlus and ArcSys are not agreeing to putting P4A2 on PS4, that would be loving stupid. No one's buying a PS4 for P4A2, especially not in either America or Japan where the former scene is still going to be using PS3's and 360's for the forseeable future and in Japan where arcades are still very much alive.

I doubt even GG Xrd is going on future consoles and not PS3/360.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ApplesandOranges posted:

Kanji players everywhere are sad.

This is absolutely hysterical in the most depressing way. "Oh man this character who has a tough time getting in on others and needs to rely on his DP to get people off of him NEEDS TO BE NERFED, DO IT NOW."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

S-Alpha posted:

So, we finally have some PerSHOna gameplay footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIMPXC64hjo

Some pretty interesting stuff there, teleports, some of his persona attacks track, a command throw, and a fullscreen projectile super. Oh, and a counter super that does 2500 damage and turns the entire screen and Sho black. :stare:

That super looks precise as hell though. It couldn't counter the regular attacks and it seemed they specifically needed Kanji's jump B for it to activate.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This game isn't really like a traditional ArcSys fighter, you get two dedicated attack buttons with your actual characters and two attack buttons for your persona. You also have to manage your Persona as if it gets broken you lose quite a few options in terms of special attacks and even super moves. Also, you might want to find a button combination your hands are comfortable with because there are several mechanics which require you to press two or more buttons at the same time and it could really be awkward to try and do some at key moments.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You don't unlock anything by doing the story mode, every character is unlocked for playability automatically. About the only thing you do get from it is trophies and story content.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

redreader posted:

I can finally play this since I finished P4G. Which story modes are recommended? Is there an order in which to play them?

You unlock the story modes as you play through other characters stories, just play whoever you want, they very rarely interconnect in the same way as another.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh man, is that a story mode section that recounts the events of P4? Is that how they're gonna get Adachi into the story mode? That's hilarious.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Her hair is lighter colored too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hitbox should never be an issue, make the character bigger, add some armor to them, anything that makes it necessary to make the hitbox bigger if it needs to be. A common complaint I've seen for not adding Jubei to Blazblue is his hitbox would be too small and that's not an excuse because he fights with armor, or you can make him bigger if need be.

It's a fighting game, as long as you're not making them giants or midgets you can take some liberty with character sizes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Adachi was resigned to his loss at the end of P4, there's no point in bringing him back as a villain. His appearances from after that will probably be strictly from other villains taking his form or relegated to events from P4 like the DLC Campaign coming for this game. He's going to be playable it seems, we're just waiting for official word at this point.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There, now everyone can shut up about Koromaru as we wait for Adachi's glorious gameplay trailer.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Excels posted:

What is even the point of killing off a character if everyone will just demand they be brought back. It would sort of diminish the "martyr's sacrifice" if he could just be pried off of the seal. I hope it turns out to be someone more interesting.

It sounds like they are really going balls-to-the-loving-wall with all of this plotplotplotplot, what's "canon" and what isn't, how it all ties together, I just can't wait to find out.

You are going to be sorely disappointed because it is very simple how it connects to anything in the previous Arena game.

And it's probably gonna be Chidori.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I will legit be stoked to see Chidori because we never got to see her Persona in P3.

You're probably not gonna see it in this game, they said the character would APPEAR in the story mode for the P3 characters, not be playable. I highly doubt Chidori's taking any active role in the Shadow Group stuff given her Persona is kind of unstable. I can't imagine her taking any part in the game's actual events, really.

MrAristocrates posted:

You see it twice.

Also this, if you want to see a picture of it it's on the MegaTen wiki.

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Medea

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I don't care who this cameo appearance you guys are talking about is, I just wanna see updated images and video of Koromaru (and Ken, I guess).

Probably gonna be a few days.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
From this Episode P3 and Episode P4 stuff, it seems like they might be splitting up the story mode into segments like what they did with Chronophantasma. If there was a third faction I'd imagine it'll probably be Sho's or something.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Looks like Ken got that growth spurt after all. Not super pleased, but eh. Adorable Koromaru makes up for him.

Only 2 Persona cards though?

That's Shadow Ken, chances are the regular one has more.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Golden Goat posted:

If the top left picture is normal Ken (considering it's right behind his portrait) then he still has two cards.

Shadows have different health bars than regular characters, that's Shadow Ken too.

S-Alpha posted:

That doesn't apply to any other character though, shadow mode or regular has the same amount of persona cards. There are a couple inferences you can make from him having so few cards though, he should have and interesting gimmick or two.

Edit: I see a Koromaru gauge too, by the looks of it.

Really? It's going to be interesting to see why that would be then.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If Ken has a Koromaru Install, I don't even know what I'm going to do. I'm basically obligated to main him at that point.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's a complicated man and no one understands him but his dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's probably a special move.

• Locked thread