Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gutcruncher posted:

What are the abbreviations and lesson mode terms you arent getting? Maybe one of us can help out with that.

I personally still can't get what an 'oki' is. :v: Unless it's some fighting game term I'm unaware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd be really sad if it's PS4-only since I honestly am hesitant to plunk down a new console just for the game (but I'd be really, really tempted to.)

Fingers crossed for a possible PS3 release, but I'm aware chances are that they want to make sure the console shift is in their favour.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

S-Alpha posted:

That's actually his new 5AAA. That's pretty much what they were showing off across the board in that PV. All the old 5AAAs have been given to the Shadow characters to use instead.

Isn't Dash Spring a Skill Attack as well? So it goes 5A > combo > Dash Spring > V-Kunai > Garudyne or something? Or does Yosuke just launch himself into the air with his 5AA now and continue with Flying Kunai after the V move like normal?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Yeah this game is now perfect.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The hype aside, onto the actual P4A:

I decided to try Yukiko's challenge 30 today for fun. Now the whole day has passed by and I'm so close I can taste it but yet so far. My latest attempt got me 9912 damage out of the 10,000 needed. :sweatdrop: I've gone over the ArcSys combo so many times I'm just attempting it on muscle memory alone, but it's just or two stray hits of I guess 5C not connecting.

Is there anything that can connect after an Agidyne D? If it's just that little bit I'd do anything to try to clear this challenge that has consumed my weekend.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fruitsnacks posted:

Pretty much. If you can get that close to 10,000 dmg it means you have the combo down except you're not getting full hits on the C attacks and maybe on the second super as well.

To get full hits on the 5C 2C just delay the 2C. Maybe delay the initial 5C as well after releasing the second hit of SB Agi? And for the '5C xx Agi xx Agidyne, Agidyne' don't cancel 5C into Agi too quickly. For the second Agidyne, I used a visual cue: I would complete the input of the super around the same time as the wall bounce. All hits of the super will connect if the super freeze happens right after the dummy begins to fall away from the wall.

Yeah, I managed to get it today. I'm not sure exactly what I did the 324th time that worked - probably timed the last Agi just right or something.

In any case, finally finished that so I just have... eight more of her challenges for that trophy. Or I could do Yosuke's last three but I'm really not looking forward to his challenge 30.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Just letting people know a third loketest is in progress, check Dustloop out for info and things.

Kanji players everywhere are sad.

Excited for Teddie, though his apparent new increased reliance on items has me iffy. Might go Shadow Teddie if his new autocombo is bad, but I'm fairly sure I'll dabble in Shadow Yukiko just for the voice and Shadow Kanji just for the victory pose.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's a bit of new info up (not linking to it to lessen the chances of taking it down), but all I can say so far is Teddie's Nihl Hand super is... interesting.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Batigh posted:

No official changelog as far as I know, and we shouldn't go into the final release assuming anything from the loctests still holds water, even this latest one. Balance!

Assuming they're not going to take out any of the new moves, Yu and Aigis have command grabs, Yosuke has a new super only available in Sukakaja, Teddie has Nihl Hand and a new super that throws multiple items, and Yukiko has a a Firebird-like move that she can only use after a certain Fire Boost level. Oh, and Kanji has Primal Force, and Mitsuru Tentarafoo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Utgardaloki posted:

Yukari and Junpei seem pretty.... one-note. I kind of expected that when they went all-in on the baseball thing with Junpei I guess.

Yukari's pretty much what I expected, there is only so much you can do with a bow-user in a fighting game and she's definitely no Hawkeye. Magarula looks pretty snazzy at the very least.

As for Junpei, well, he was never a magical powerhouse and Yu's a better sword-user, so he's gotta take what he can get.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZFu-XVjR7w

So yeah this is a thing. I really hope they'll fix this before console release.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You can stick anything you want in between the listed moves in the challenge combos. As long as you get everything that's listed, that's what matters. So feel free to stick in extra jumps or moves or RCs or whatever you want.

This is such a big improvement after I tried out UMvC3 where you have to do the EXACT moves in a specific order. Such a pain.

I got my 300 challenges trophy a few weeks ago thanks to a friend who helped me clear the last 3 of Yosuke's challenges, so I got Mitsuru as a navigator as well. I've cleared enough to actually get 300 even without his help, so I'll take that at least.

I still need to get Teddie's sj.C combos down though, since they're important for maximizing damage.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Mgaxk4Gcs

Some Rise gameplay.

My initial impression is she's going to play similar to Street Fighter's Rose, but with better/slower projectiles. Those musical notes look pretty annoying.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Shinjiro?

...I can't think of who else besides the MC, who would be sorta hard to justify being there. Um...Metis? Theodore?

Clearly it's Detective Kurosawa, who's awakened to the power of a fine suit.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Looks like Ken got that growth spurt after all. Not super pleased, but eh. Adorable Koromaru makes up for him.

Only 2 Persona cards though?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Endorph posted:

Nah, if you look he has persona cards *and* a Koro meter. He probably has both.

If I had a creative guess, it's possible hitting Koromaru while Cerberus is out also costs Ken a Persona card.

Either way, he seems a bit like Carl from BB so far. I'm far more interested in what he has to offer than Rise, but considering he uses a spear I expect he's going to be really good, if his reach is anything like Mitsuru's.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AG3 posted:

He should be 15 or 16 if he's a first year high school student at Gekkoukan High, which seems to be where the uniform is from.

Do first years even get to be on the disciplinary committee?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Wrist Watch posted:

:wtc:

Why did they feel the need to add more reach to a character with a spear?

It doesn't look that bad, if anything Mitsuru's 5D does more damage and has about the same reach. It'll probably have the dead zone in the middle too.

Can't really get a clear idea of Ken's damage but so far they look acceptable to slightly low (the Cerberus super looks like it doesn't even break 2k).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That reminds me are there translations of these videos anywhere? I really want to know what all the newly playable characters joke titles are.

More on topic, Ken+Koromaru looks so good. Definitely adding them to my list of try hard characters alongside Junpei and Kanji.

Loosely translated, the new titles:

Yukari: The Tacky Pink Sniper
Junpei: Surprising Slugger of Futile Swing
Rise: The Fully Perverse Super Idol
Ken: The Cheeky Prime Cynical Rookie
Sho (Normal): The Criminal Pundit
Sho (Persona): The Defaced Dark Messiah

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Mitsuru looks like she's more in line with most of the cast - she's still pretty good and her Shadow version is ruthless, but overall she's not head and shoulders above most characters anymore.

Naoto probably received the biggest boost relative to her P4A counterpart, with stronger traps and really good SP supers. The gun clip hurts her zoning a bit, but she got a better rushdown to compensate anyway.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's also really dependent on the individual Shadow character. For instance, Shadow Yukiko generally pales in comparison to normal Yukiko because normal Yukiko has a reliable unblockable setup with her new dial combo, and Shadow Yukiko can't do much with Shadow Rampage aside from Fire Amping herself up to level 6 or 8, which is nice for getting Vermillion Bird up quickly, but isn't that amazing compared to the kind of nasty stuff Shadow Chie/Mitsuru/Naoto can do.

Some characters, like Shadow Yosuke or Teddie, also get really affected by the 20% damage loss because they were struggling a little for damage already.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

LibbyM posted:

Bummed there's still no Adachi. They totally have tv's in prison, he can join the fun. I also think I'd be much happier about Koromaru as a character if he wasn't shackled with Ken. Though, I loved the way shadow Labrys played and if there's any similarity there with the way Ken/Koru work together it could be fun.

Edit: Reading back a few pages it sounds like adachi has been confirmed or something? That's neat to hear.

Adachi has never been confirmed, he shows up in Yukari and Yu's arcade modes, but that's it so far.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Excels posted:

So who are your mains and how good are you at playing them?

I want to say Aigis is my main but I really suck with her so I end up using a high-tier character like Chie just to have a chance of winning

Teddie, but I'm far from amazing at him. I do okay though, as long as I keep my nerves in check.

Subs are Yukiko, and to a lesser degree Naoto, but I think I'm visibly worse with them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Deltasquid posted:

That's... Pretty drat odd. So Yu canonically didn't give enough fucks to resolve his friends' problems? He didn't bother hearing Yukiko out? He didn't beat up Yosuke? He just dropped Naoto's investigation mid-way or what?

Yosuke's is at the very least canon; they refer to it in their win quotes against each other.

One possible reason is that they haven't used their Personas for months. That, and the less traumatic experience of the Persona evolution, caused them to regress. The P3 cast have been Shadow operatives likely since The Answer, with the possible exception of Junpei.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Alabaster White posted:

Is... is there Shadow Shadow Labrys? :ohdear:

Elizabeth, Shadow Labrys, and Sho don't have Shadow versions.

Persona Sho is Sho's Shadow, but he's considered a separate character like Shadow Labrys.

I haven't seen a single Shadow Aigis or Labrys Shadow in tournaments, actually.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Excels posted:

From the look of those screens, something demonic intervened to set Adachi loose. I'm glad they're actually explaining it instead of saying "It was just a Shadow" or "He just straight-up broke outta jail"

The Golden Ending references Adachi still being in jail, so I imagine he'd have had to have a TV in his cell or anything. Which is kind of weird, since you'd think Dojima would have given instructions not to let the guy near any TVs, but I suppose the red sky Inaba might throw a bit of chaos into the works.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If you're wishing for sunglasses interaction why would you not wish for Wesker's sunglasses from MvC3

He does more damage when he takes them off as part of his super

Bonus points if he gets a version of Phantom Dance where Koromaru bounces across the screen.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krPTsm4T_uQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAMIAbiya-I

Subbed Shadow Labrys and Chie trailers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I have to say, for a game that goes with using words like 'nads' to avoid explicit sexual language I'm surprised they used 'Dick'.

Really looking forward to the game myself, though not really looking forward to running into tens of Shos online.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel the character that got shafted the most with the VA changes is Margaret. It's just so... noticeably different.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
https://twitter.com/hc0519/status/496601692796747776

Basically, Margaret confirmed playable, and using three Personas. Alder, Cu Chulainn and Yoshitsune.

Get your Hassou Tobi ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hey, she has God's Hand as a skill attack. Sorry Chie.

That and that excellent theme is making me really excited for her.

• Locked thread