Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Found some great jazz hop by a group called Balance and the Traveling Sounds:

Hey Lady
Something About Us (Daft Punk cover)
I'm Comin' Back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I would like to purchase some good used jazz records on ebay. What are some must haves?

I should add that I love Bebop, or at least whatever they play on the Sky.fm Bebop Channel, which includes, according to them, "many popular artists such as Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bub Powell, Kenny Clarke, Clifford Brown, and Art Blakey."

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

the posted:

I would like to purchase some good used jazz records on ebay. What are some must haves?

I should add that I love Bebop, or at least whatever they play on the Sky.fm Bebop Channel, which includes, according to them, "many popular artists such as Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bub Powell, Kenny Clarke, Clifford Brown, and Art Blakey."

You should really get your hands on The Penguin Guide To Jazz. It actually deals with Jazz re-issues on CD, but it's very handy with a billion entries by artist, with a list of important records they cut, what label has re-issued it with cat #s etc. Each with it's own little star rating review so you can pick the most essential ones if you find yourself stuck. And it has a 'Core collection' list of a couple hundred discs you should own.

It's very nice and everyone should own a copy if they are at all interested in Jazz. Though the newest edition is called The Penguin Jazz Guide and apparently nowhere near as good judging by the Amazon reviews. One of the authors passed away and the other author who co-wrote the book has cut it down somewhat and re-arranged it apparently.

ClassActJerk
Nov 4, 2010

My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

You should really get your hands on The Penguin Guide To Jazz. It actually deals with Jazz re-issues on CD, but it's very handy with a billion entries by artist, with a list of important records they cut, what label has re-issued it with cat #s etc. Each with it's own little star rating review so you can pick the most essential ones if you find yourself stuck. And it has a 'Core collection' list of a couple hundred discs you should own.

It's very nice and everyone should own a copy if they are at all interested in Jazz. Though the newest edition is called The Penguin Jazz Guide and apparently nowhere near as good judging by the Amazon reviews. One of the authors passed away and the other author who co-wrote the book has cut it down somewhat and re-arranged it apparently.

This is excellent advice. Also, any decent used record store will have this guide and several others that you can browse through while you are in the store.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
Today I went into a charity shop on a whim and came out with these. Hot dang.

Does anyone have any jazz blogs, which are preferably updated not extremely frequently? I subscribe to holyfuckingshit40000 and I tend to find its updating agreeable.

e: x0nix, I've finally gotten round to listening to Angel Song and I effing love it, thanks.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I would note that Morton & Cook both are/were big fans of free jazz and the European free improv tradition, so everything that it recommends won't suit a bebop fans tastes.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Ras Het posted:

I would note that Morton & Cook both are/were big fans of free jazz and the European free improv tradition, so everything that it recommends won't suit a bebop fans tastes.

Of course, but as a general easy guide to jazz as a whole I think it's pretty solid, and is at least a good starting point for people to dig deeper. Trying to pick the choice cuts out of say, Dexter Gordon's or Art Blakey's weighty discographies could be a challenge without something like this.

ClassActJerk
Nov 4, 2010

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Of course, but as a general easy guide to jazz as a whole I think it's pretty solid, and is at least a good starting point for people to dig deeper. Trying to pick the choice cuts out of say, Dexter Gordon's or Art Blakey's weighty discographies could be a challenge without something like this.
And without some sort of guide you might not ever get hip to Hampton Hawes, Sonny Stitt, Warne Marsh.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Anyone in here checked out Colin Stetson's New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges?

It's hard to even describe it as jazz, it's pretty out there. I like parts of it but not all of it, however I can respect that the dude is simply incredible on a bass saxophone. The way he recorded it is interesting, too: He set up mics all over the room he was in to capture the echoes of his playing, then spliced them together to get what we have in the album.

x0nix
May 25, 2001

Azure_Horizon posted:

Anyone in here checked out Colin Stetson's New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges?

It's hard to even describe it as jazz, it's pretty out there. I like parts of it but not all of it, however I can respect that the dude is simply incredible on a bass saxophone. The way he recorded it is interesting, too: He set up mics all over the room he was in to capture the echoes of his playing, then spliced them together to get what we have in the album.

Yeah I found it overall a bit more 'interesting' than likeable. It's amazing the range of noises he makes with that bass sax, and I found myself wondering most of the time what was overdubbed and what he was able to play at one time - because apparently many of the tracks are just one live take: see this. It must be a pretty big feat of endurance to play like that for any length of time.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I checked it out, and it's allright. A bit monotonous for my taste, but this bass sax is a majestic beast, probably not suited for heavy improvisation. Still sounds great though. Also, most of avant garde jazz I hear isn't as heavily "produced". This album has such a scripted, controlled feel to it. All the surrounding... I dunno, it's not even "arrangement", it's more like "sound design", with voices, sound effects and electronic instruments, it's very colourful.

Edit: yep, listened to it some more, and it's pretty great.

woodenchicken fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 23, 2011

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

roundmidnight posted:

Plug plug plug:

I'm getting to play the premiere of NYC trumpeter Nadje Noordhuis' (https://www.nadjenoordhuis.com) music for large ensemble tonight with the Hart House Jazz Orchestra tonight and Sunday! :) She's planning to record the music next year and this is a test run. Some of the pieces are really quite exquisite and she's a lovely individual.

Also, as a fellow trumpet player, it's pretty awesome to hear someone play the instrument so vocally. Chops for days but tasteful as hell.

Any Toronto jazz goons, feel free to show up. Tonight's is at Hart House, Sunday at the Rex.

I take it you go to U of T?
I finished Humber a few years back and now play trumpet professionally around town. I also repair brass instruments.

I just started my own big band a few weeks ago. I can't wait to start gigging with the band. It is all originals and arrangements of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZLvqXFddu0
No mention of the most outrageous big band ever? The Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra? Later the Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra, and now the village vanguard Jazz Orchestra. Mel Lewis JO is my favourite era for the band.

ClassActJerk
Nov 4, 2010

Brekelefuw posted:

I take it you go to U of T?
I finished Humber a few years back and now play trumpet professionally around town. I also repair brass instruments.

I just started my own big band a few weeks ago. I can't wait to start gigging with the band. It is all originals and arrangements of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZLvqXFddu0
No mention of the most outrageous big band ever? The Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra? Later the Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra, and now the village vanguard Jazz Orchestra. Mel Lewis JO is my favourite era for the band.

Hell yeah Jim Mcneely writes some great charts. But your favorite era was insane indeed.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I saw the Vanguard Orchestra in NY last October and wasn't really impressed. It didn't help that the trumpet section were basically just bullshitting with each other all night but the music was really boring and they didn't play it with much vigour.

I'm not the biggest TJ/MLBB fan, though, and I don't really like how their sort of later-era pseudo-jazz has become the standard for big band music nowadays. I went mostly for my girlfriend at the time. I got to see Jazz at Lincoln Center do the music of Billy Strayhorn, though, so I'm pretty okay with that.

I'm an ex-York, U of T hopeful student.

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002

Ras Het posted:

They also give short shrift (and a lot of demeaning adjectives) to AACM and NYC Loft Scene musicians, probably as a byproduct of the overstated rivalry between them and the Euro Free Improv tradition.

ClassActJerk
Nov 4, 2010

roundmidnight posted:

I saw the Vanguard Orchestra in NY last October and wasn't really impressed. It didn't help that the trumpet section were basically just bullshitting with each other all night but the music was really boring and they didn't play it with much vigour.

I'm not the biggest TJ/MLBB fan, though, and I don't really like how their sort of later-era pseudo-jazz has become the standard for big band music nowadays. I went mostly for my girlfriend at the time. I got to see Jazz at Lincoln Center do the music of Billy Strayhorn, though, so I'm pretty okay with that.

I'm an ex-York, U of T hopeful student.

That's too bad, but I can imagine that is the case since Mel has been gone for so long.
What I don't get though is calling their music the standard for big band music today. Compared to what? Because, when I listen to for instance The Rivbea Orchestra, or to Carla Bley's Very Big Band, Or to Go:Organic Orchestra there ain't nothing similar going on to the Vanguard Band.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Yeah, I think the standard these days is either something related to Maria Scheider/Bob Mintzer/Carla Bley, or the horrible horrible horrible sounds of the Big Phat Band

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Just started checking out the Mushroom Jazz electro jazz compilations. This Beat, by the Jazzual Suspects is pretty drat good.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Any fans of some more contemporary/weird/European genres like dark jazz (Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble, Bohren und der Club of Gore, Dale Cooper and the Dictaphones, etc) and just European (and often scandinavian) stuff like Esbjorn Svensson Trio, Kjetil Møster, Nils Peter Molvær, Supersilent, Nik Bartsch's Ronin, Jan Garbarek, Mathias Eick, Jaga Jazzist, etc.

I was really surprised when I heard Leucocyte by Esbjorn Svenssion Trio, that album is so incredibly heavy. His other albums, including the softer ones are absolutely amazing too. It's quite sad that he passed away.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I LOVE EST and Jaga Jazzist. They are pretty different sounding, and I have never heard the term "dark Jazz" (why do people have to use so many labels?) but I sure love their sounds.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
"Les Etoiles Mutantes" from the Kilmanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble is a great track. Mellows me out something fierce.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Azure_Horizon posted:

"Les Etoiles Mutantes" from the Kilmanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble is a great track. Mellows me out something fierce.

From the Stairwell is a great chill out album in general. All is One is one of my 10 favorite songs currently.

There's a group I really love that came out of the modern swing revival that I love to death too that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned here: Squirrel Nut Zippers. It's great when I want to listen to something upbeat and fun, but they've got some good slower songs too.

Ola Ugh
May 19, 2005

Sjåre brymæ
I'm a jazz noob but this is totally mind blowing:

McCoy Tyner - Fly With The Wind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXVnXVuj4Ps

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

There's a group I really love that came out of the modern swing revival that I love to death too that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned here: Squirrel Nut Zippers. It's great when I want to listen to something upbeat and fun, but they've got some good slower songs too.

The only album I have is 'Hot' but I love it so much. It's been in the cd changer of my car for like 2 years, I refuse to take it out. 'Bad Businessman' owns so hard.

ClassActJerk
Nov 4, 2010

Ola Ugh posted:

You should check out the whole of McCoy's catalog on Milestone records from the 70's. There is some interview with Orin Keepnews (the producer on these dates) who states that this is the period when McCoy really came into his own and became an amazing pianist. This is a rather powerful assessment considering that McCoy was the pianist in the legendary rhythm section of the John Coltrane quartet with Reggie Workman and Elvin Jones.

Here is a list of the albums on Milestone.

Sahara
Song For My Lady
Echoes Of A Friend
Trident
Fly With The Wind
Focal Point
Supertrios
Inner Voices
The Greeting
Passion Dance
Counterpoints/Live In Tokyo
Together
Horizon
Quartets 4 x 4
13th House

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Could I get some recommendations on good ballads?

I'll start with the ever popular Autumn Leaves.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Chiming in as someone who knows very little about jazz as a whole, but am a crazed brad mehldau fan. I think I have just about every recording of his solo work that's possible to have.

Is anyone out there similar to him? I really dislike trios and am mainly interested in solo work. I've gotten into a bit of Bill Evans if that helps, but I don't think he has much on Brads stuff.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

Jazz Marimba posted:

Could I get some recommendations on good ballads?

I'll start with the ever popular Autumn Leaves.

Jonathan Kreisberg plays a gorgeous version of Autumn in New York

And Sylvain Luc plays a very nice Infant Eyes

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Orthogonalus posted:

This Ahmad Jamal version is awesome also yet totally different stylistically (I'm somewhat obsessed with his piano playing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgMLkvkqK1o

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

DeathSandwich posted:

From the Stairwell is a great chill out album in general. All is One is one of my 10 favorite songs currently.

Dark jazz is an interesting subgenre as a whole. It's so loosely jazz but it can give off the same feeling, it's impressive.

ClassActJerk
Nov 4, 2010

On Terra Firma posted:

Chiming in as someone who knows very little about jazz as a whole, but am a crazed brad mehldau fan. I think I have just about every recording of his solo work that's possible to have.

Is anyone out there similar to him? I really dislike trios and am mainly interested in solo work. I've gotten into a bit of Bill Evans if that helps, but I don't think he has much on Brads stuff.

Sure is, check Keith Jarrett's solo discs on ECM. The most famous of which is the Köln Concert. One of my favorites is Facing You. There are a ton of albums by him during the 70's and early 80's to check out. A good chunk of solo piano is going to be steeped in the tradition, i.e. the pianist will emulate a band with walking bass lines under their solo, or they will work out stride arrangements etc... Mehldhau is a classical player who loves rock and turned out to be a mother fucker of a good jazz pianist. That is a really rare trajectory in jazz piano.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Ah yeah big fan of Jarrett's as well, but his stuff always seems really campy when compared to the stuff Mehldau has done. I know his style is pretty rare and a one off, I just can't really get into a lot of piano that sounds overly.. Jazzy if you know what I mean.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

nothing to see here move on now

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 11, 2012

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I love Jarrett and all, especially when he's being super-melodic but the sperglord grunting and groaning really is quite off-putting.

Ola Ugh posted:

:stare:

Whoa. I never really knew anything about Tyner apart from 'Dude who played with Coltrane'. Gonna go get me some of that.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

THREE pages and not a mention of Archie Shepp? For shame!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPvGr_7UejQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1j8ufaOfNI&feature=related

Fantastic tenor/soprano player, buddies with Coltrane, played on Ascension, put out a ton of fantastic albums.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

On Terra Firma posted:

Ah yeah big fan of Jarrett's as well, but his stuff always seems really campy when compared to the stuff Mehldau has done. I know his style is pretty rare and a one off, I just can't really get into a lot of piano that sounds overly.. Jazzy if you know what I mean.

I am the complete opposite. Jazzy piano makes me want to get up and dance.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Azure_Horizon posted:

I am the complete opposite. Jazzy piano makes me want to get up and dance.

I just really like the darker tones that Mehldau dabbles in, and I haven't really heard it out of anyone else. I suppose that's his rock influences shining through, but I love it.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Orthogonalus posted:

And Sylvain Luc plays a very nice Infant Eyes

You and I have very different tastes, apparently. I'm not really a fan of guitar, and the guitarist in Autumn in New York was too over the top. I much prefer Wayne Shorter's version of Infant Eyes.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

Jazz Marimba posted:

You and I have very different tastes, apparently. I'm not really a fan of guitar, and the guitarist in Autumn in New York was too over the top. I much prefer Wayne Shorter's version of Infant Eyes.

Oh, I like the original very much too! I just thought I'd link to versions that more people might not have heard. (Also, this is where I admit I'm a guitarist myself.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x0nix
May 25, 2001

Jazz Marimba posted:

Seems like most people including myself are very picky about guitars as a solo instrument in jazz. While Jonathan Kreisberg's facial expressions are extremely offputting, I like his tone and style. Here is an example of a guitar tone I think is awful in anything vaguely jazz related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRZaicH1_YM (Mike Moreno playing in Aaron Parks' Nemesis).

x0nix fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 13, 2012

• Locked thread