Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Frosted Flake posted:

The OP is okay in my books. He understands Bop.

He did leave out European Jazz and Bossa Nova though.

OP is Ken Burns.

Edit: Oscar Peterson is also awesome. I would say that when he was playing in his Trio he was definately a Jazz artist. Piano Jazz can be hard to define, but Peterson, Andre Previn and Dave Brubeck would be my favorites.

Vince Guaraldi is great, but he's mostly known for Peanuts, I don't know how well respected he is.

I mentioned bossa nova, and it's basically an offspring of jazz fusion that occurred in the late '50s and early '60s.

European jazz would deserves its own topic entirely, which is why I neglected to go into it. Most of it, however, is a splinter off of free jazz. And nowadays, it's primarily nu-jazz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Azure_Horizon posted:

Radio Music Society by Esperanza Spalding was released last week, so ya'll should check it out. It hasn't been getting the best reviews, but it IS Esperanza Spalding so it's gotta be worth something.

This album actually rules, by the way. I've been listening to it nearly nonstop since it came out.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Bill O'Riley is GENIUS posted:

This album actually rules, by the way. I've been listening to it nearly nonstop since it came out.

Really? Well I'm gonna check it out right now!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
More modern jazz improv with BADBADNOTGOOD's second album: BBNG2.

Their cover of Flashing Lights, by Kanye West: http://badbadnotgood.bandcamp.com/track/flashing-lights

This is a fantastic album for post-bop fans.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 9, 2012

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Just started checking out the Mushroom Jazz electro jazz compilations. This Beat, by the Jazzual Suspects is pretty drat good.

This is awesome, what exactly is this though? I can't find much info on the Jazzual Suspects. Are they just compilation albums? Can I obtain them someplace

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

hobbez posted:

This is awesome, what exactly is this though? I can't find much info on the Jazzual Suspects. Are they just compilation albums? Can I obtain them someplace

From what I've been able to glean the Jazzual Suspects are more or less signed to Om Records but have no actual albums, just a collection of singles across compilation albums (they are featured pretty heavily on the Mushroom Jazz compilations).

You can obtain Mushroom Jazz compilations on Amazon, I believe.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Azure_Horizon posted:

From what I've been able to glean the Jazzual Suspects are more or less signed to Om Records but have no actual albums, just a collection of singles across compilation albums (they are featured pretty heavily on the Mushroom Jazz compilations).

You can obtain Mushroom Jazz compilations on Amazon, I believe.

I believe Jazzual Suspects was Charlie Tate, who also did some Hip-Hop work as Colossus on OM Records, and probably more well known for his work in King Kooba which was more kinda Nu-Jazzy, sometimes downtempo-y, sometimes more Hip-Hoppy type of thing thing who had a bunch of singles and albums out on Second Skin.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I believe Jazzual Suspects was Charlie Tate, who also did some Hip-Hop work as Colossus on OM Records, and probably more well known for his work in King Kooba which was more kinda Nu-Jazzy, sometimes downtempo-y, sometimes more Hip-Hoppy type of thing thing who had a bunch of singles and albums out on Second Skin.

Yeah, I found this out on their Om Records page. Sadly, there hasn't been anything new since May of last year, when an unreleased single was put out. Shame, I really like the sound of Jazzual Suspects.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I have added a modern jazz improv section so for any of you who have some recommendations of groups that are pushing jazz forward or blending it with some of the current popular genres of today please recommend them.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Do swing singers like Dean Martin or Bobby Martin count as jazz? Stuff like this?

x0nix
May 25, 2001

Azure_Horizon posted:

I have added a modern jazz improv section so for any of you who have some recommendations of groups that are pushing jazz forward or blending it with some of the current popular genres of today please recommend them.

James Farm - Chronos
Neil Cowley Trio - Fable

Farecoal posted:

Do swing singers like Dean Martin or Bobby Martin count as jazz? Stuff like this?

Most definitely! That's pretty much as jazz as it gets.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Got another recommendation for fans of jazz hop: The Jazz Meditation Trilogy by DJ Ezasscul. It's smooth like butter, with jazz foundations and enough motivation to make you dance.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Any other fans of traditional NOLA/Hot/Dixieland/NOBB jazz? Kind of weird it hasn't really been discussed much in here yet :)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, hey a jazz thread! :toot:

I'm a little biased because I actually got to play the Bari Sax part on this, and it was my first time having to carry an entire piece basically solo, but Mingus' Moanin'(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__OSyznVDOY) remains a personal favorite.

Beyond that, basically anything on Kind of Blue is great - I'm currently trying to work my way through more of the old great Coltrane and Davis albums myself.

As for modern stuff, they don't play a ton of original stuff, but the University of North Texas' One o' Clock Lab Band has gotten world famous, and rightly so - their original piece 'Ice-nine' recieved and deserved a grammy nomination. I've had the pleasure of seeing them in person a handful of times, and it's absolutely mind-blowing.

I'm currently trying to build some jazz chops of my own, though it's slow going - particularly since I'm not a music major and haven't been practicing like I should. For those who have never tried it, just know that improv is harder than the pros make it sound. :smith:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 22, 2012

DownItGoes
Jul 1, 2008
I'm looking for some really fast and energetic/explosive swing jazz big band music. Sort of like Mingus, posted above, and Sing Sing Sing (With A Swing).

I'd absolutely love some recommendations for this sort of stuff, I've already checked out the examples in the OP.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

DownItGoes posted:

I'm looking for some really fast and energetic/explosive swing jazz big band music. Sort of like Mingus, posted above, and Sing Sing Sing (With A Swing).

I'd absolutely love some recommendations for this sort of stuff, I've already checked out the examples in the OP.

Have you ever checked out Squirrel Nut Zippers? I think they were mentioned in this thread, but they aren't in the OP. This track in particular comes to mind when I think "explosive swing":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoGSJd5d7kA

They're a modern swing band, but you really can't tell by listening to this stuff that it wasn't recorded in the 30's or 40's. They're really an awesome band that I wasn't capable of appreciating in 7th grade when the video for 'Hell' was super trendy or whenever that was.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Another bangin' nu-jazz tune from the folks in Jazzanova: I Human.

For those wondering where the sax and trumpet are, they're backgrounded in an interesting way. Jazzanova's all about rich, tapestry-like sounds.

Stonut
Sep 12, 2003
Cranky Nympho

DownItGoes posted:

One of my favorites (particularly biased since I'm a trombonist):

http://youtu.be/TOZ5wwNOdWY

Since somebody mentioned North Texas One O'Clock, I figured I'd brag that one of my best friends is the 2nd trombonist in the One. 2nd chair usually plays all the solo/improv parts, and she has chops and style to burn, in addition to being a ridiculous arranger/composer. The jazz bands in that program are creative, insanely talented, and doing some great stuff to advance the art. I wish they got a bit more attention from bloggers and industry types.

Right now I teach an Intro to Jazz college course, and I'm trying to get a job working for Jazz at Lincoln Center. I have a Master's degree in Musicology, and jazz is my "thing." I'm loving this thread!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I know it's still 2 days out, but since I'll hopefully be on the road to New Orleans soon... Happy Jazz Fest yall.

Rebirth Brass Band - Do Whatcha Wanna

Kermit Ruffins - Treme Second Line

Shamarr Allen - Meet me on Frenchman Street

Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews and Wynton Marsalis

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
For any of you who like videogames and watch LPs, the Super Mario Bros. 3 LP uses a lot of jazz tracks in the videos and they're all labeled "smooth jazz" as a joke but I think it makes a good fit sometimes amid the humor and tons of deaths.

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

I've been on a nu-jazz/jazz-meets-electronic-music binge lately, one band I stumbled across that I really liked is Caravan Palace, a French band doing a really dancy electroswing/gypsy jazz thing. According to Allmusic, "the group is chiefly influenced by Django Reinhardt but also cites Vitalic, Cab Calloway, Justice, Lionel Hampton, and Daft Punk among its influences." Here's some of my favourite songs of theirs:

Je M'Amuse

Starscat

We Can Dance

Dragons

Stonut
Sep 12, 2003
Cranky Nympho

Machado de Assis posted:

I've been on a nu-jazz/jazz-meets-electronic-music binge lately, one band I stumbled across that I really liked is Caravan Palace, a French band doing a really dancy electroswing/gypsy jazz thing. According to Allmusic, "the group is chiefly influenced by Django Reinhardt but also cites Vitalic, Cab Calloway, Justice, Lionel Hampton, and Daft Punk among its influences." Here's some of my favourite songs of theirs:

Je M'Amuse

Starscat

We Can Dance

Dragons

THANK YOU for this. Awesome!

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
http://www.estivaljazz.ch

So I'm thinking of going to this (free!) festival in Lugano, Switzerland in July, but I can't find a lineup.

Anyone know when they tend to announce it?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Machado de Assis posted:

Je M'Amuse

Starscat

We Can Dance

Dragons

If you like this, check out Jazzanova. You won't regret it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I've been listening to Pandora at work when I'm working on something in my office, and I've had it stuck on my Morphine channel for the last few days and actually been hitting a few things that I've really been enjoying. I wound up buying a Melody Gardot and A.K.A.C.O.D album because of it. Both of these are a bit bluesier than what normally gets discussed in this thread, but I felt like it's still pertinent here.

In addition, I need some more directions to look at. One of the songs that came up in my Pandora station is Saint Bernadette - Beats Dialogue, which I loved as a sort of dark jazz/cabaret song. The unfortunate thing is that the rest of the CD winds up being so-so rock with a more New Orleans/Mississippi delta style, which I'm not really looking for at the moment. Does anyone have some suggestions for a more music like the one I linked?

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

on the subject of morphine, did twinemen dissolve? I can't find anything about them after they released Twinetime in 2007, and their site redirects to some poker thing :smith:

and yeah, jazzanova is pretty great :)

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
If you're looking for that rainy streets, noir-ish sound that the two vids you linked sort of have, you'd probably dig Germany's Bohren & Der Club of Gore whose sound has been (self-described, I think) as "doom jazz." I guess their following leans more towards the metal/experimental/post-whatever crowd since Ipecac and Hydra Head have released their stuff in the States.

edit: I'd be remiss not to mention how similar their stuff is to Angelo Badalamenti's scores for David Lynch.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Machado de Assis posted:

on the subject of morphine, did twinemen dissolve? I can't find anything about them after they released Twinetime in 2007, and their site redirects to some poker thing :smith:

and yeah, jazzanova is pretty great :)

Jazzanova's releasing a new album soon (The Funkhaus Sessions), and it sounds pretty great so far. They're also getting a film done about them.

nmfnl
Jul 28, 2004

For those of you who are fans of New Orleans style jazz (among others), and like me were unable to make it down to Jazz Fest, WWOZ is streaming live performances daily (starting around 11am CST). You can also watch various live and pre-recorded streams at https://youtube.com/jazzfest.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Janelle Monae rocked at that jazzfest, dammmmmmmmn.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Anyone going to the Toronto Jazz Festival? I saw the Roots last year, and they were great. My favorite act was Dave Brubeck. If you like pianno jazz and haven't seen him yet, I can't recommend it enough. He's getting old, you never know how many shows he has left.

Now if I could only see Andre Previn..

nmfnl
Jul 28, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Anyone going to the Toronto Jazz Festival?

I am. So far I'm going to the Soul Rebels on the 26th and Trombone Shorty the next night.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
So I stumbled upon this Nat King Trio rendition of Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# Minor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKTog0DMCRI

I need more of this. Doesn't have to be jazz covers of classical songs specifically, just anything with this sound. The chords, the swing of it all, and the guitar licks have me so mesmerized. It's dark, but not overly so and it's also quite relaxing. I wish I could describe better what I like about it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Hey everyone! Jazzanova's Funkhaus Studio Sessions album is now out, their first album in like five/six years. It's pretty great. It's also their first live album ever.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Anyone going to the Toronto Jazz Festival?

Jack Bruce's band, Spectrum Road, is playing so I want to see that for sure. Also, Esperanza Spalding and George Benson will be playing so I'd like to check those acts out as well.

edit: Bill Frisell, too! Interesting...

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Jenova 7 and Mr. Moods released a fantastic LP called Time Travellers. I really love this track, Perspective.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'd like some podcast advice please. My dad has just got an mp3 player, and I want to give him some good casts to listen too.

He already is subscribed to a bbc one but apparently due to licensing or some thing they get cut short.

I know very little about jazz, but reading the op I think he likes Miles Davis and Modal/Classic stuff.

Any decent recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

e- Thanks.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 8, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Check this page out.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ever since I've been a teenager, I've been mad for 70s/early 80s fusion - after that, it seems like it kinda got lame although some more modern stuff is ok, like Tribal Tech. Anyways, is there anything I could add to my collection?

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew, In A Silent Way, On The Corner
Return To Forever - Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy, Romantic Warrior, Returns
Jean-Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean, King Kong
Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Brand X - Unorthodox Behaviour
Bruford - Feels Good To Me, One of a Kind
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire, Inner Mounting Flame
Larry Coryell - Spaces, Eleventh House
Frank Zappa - Waka Jawaja, Hot Rats
Weather Report - Black Market, Heavy Weather
Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow
Gong - Expresso Vol II
Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue, IOU
Tony Williams Lifetime - Turn It Over
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters, Thrust
Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender
Bill Connors - Assembler
Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life
Trio of Doom - Trio of Doom
Soft Machine - Bundles (technically prog but hey, Allan Holdsworth is on it)

More Modern Stuff:

Cab - Cab4
Tribal Tech - Face First
John McLaughlin - To the One
Jonas Hellborg - Time is the Enemy
Chris Poland - Chasing the Sun
Ohm - Amino Acid Flashback
Larry Coryell - Electric, Traffic
Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment
Garaj Mahal - More Mr. Nice Guy, Woot
Niacin - Niacin, Time Crunch
Five Peace Band - Five Peace Band (it's sorta fusion)
Wayne Krantz - Long To Be Loose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Chillin to Jenova 7, jazz brethren...

been a long day.

• Locked thread