Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Looking at my playlist, here's what I'm listening to this week:

Matthew Shipp - The trio plays Ware. Matthew Shipp, William Parker and Guillermo E. Brown play pieces by David S. Ware. There's no Ware himself on this one - it's purely drums, bass & piano. You could kinda think it wouldn't have the same "edge" without the sax solos, but the players bring their A game and the album sounds very expressive, free and atmospheric.

...gently caress if I can find any of this on youtube, so here's some actual Ware, one of the pieces they've covered:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx5x3ZyIJtk

Also, there's 1977's double piano extravaganza Embraced with Mary Lou Williams and our main man Cecil Taylor. It's especially interesting considering the story behind this recording. Reading about it, this concert was considered a bit of a trainwreck at the time. (this is worth a read if you are into these artists at all)
Basically, Mary was a champion of more traditional, structured music, and Taylor was as always being violent and unpredictable. Both had wildly different views of how the concert should sound, and it ended up as a sort of musical battle between the two. There was some serious frustration on both sides, and Taylor nearly ended up getting punched for playing how he wanted and not giving a gently caress.

Other than that, there's Ornette Coleman's "Science Fiction" - because I wanted to remind myself how awesome Street Woman is.

And on the jazz-related topic, there's also Blue Series Continuum/EL-P collaboration "High Water" in the player right now, because I basically need to listen to it once in a while to feel alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I checked it out, and it's allright. A bit monotonous for my taste, but this bass sax is a majestic beast, probably not suited for heavy improvisation. Still sounds great though. Also, most of avant garde jazz I hear isn't as heavily "produced". This album has such a scripted, controlled feel to it. All the surrounding... I dunno, it's not even "arrangement", it's more like "sound design", with voices, sound effects and electronic instruments, it's very colourful.

Edit: yep, listened to it some more, and it's pretty great.

woodenchicken fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 23, 2011

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love how the comments to this video are a more "high-brow" version of the same typical lovely Youtube comments. Also this music owns.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm currently watching http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_(TV_series), and it's brilliant. A detailed look at the origins and spread of the genre, with countless anecdotes from the lives of the greats and the firsts. Tons of music, photographs and clips from early documentaries, accounts from old people and various jazz musicians. Wynton Marsalis does a lot of the talking, describing different players' styles with such infectuous enthusiasm and providing examples with his trumpet. The guy basically owns.
Very informative and entertaining stuff, gave me a new perspective on many familiar artists and showed me plenty of those I've never even heard of. Covers the racism angle pretty heavily too.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ron Burgundy posted:

The Ken Burns series was criticised by hard-core jazz fans as leaning too heavily on the swing stuff and pretty much ignoring the 1960s+ but I've always enjoyed it for what it is.
As someone who started with bebop and never got into earlier styles all that much, I had the most to learn from it.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Mythologies is great, but Verse is my personal favorite.

Pieces
The Moon - a slightly different version of this one is also featured in Mythologies

I haven't encountered any other records by her that wouldn't be dominated by somewhat anemic renditions of standards. I think she shines the most when performing her own material, like in Verse and Mythologies.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Space Hamlet posted:

So here's NPR's 2013 critics' poll for jazz.

Anything they missed? Anything on there y'all think is poo poo?

I've been working my way through the list and I really dig the Cecile McLorin Salvant.
I've been checking it out too, thanks for the link.
Nothing has really stuck with me so far, although WomanChild was interesting at least.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
So I remember about a year ago a link to NPR's 50 best jazz records of 2013 was posted. Looks like they have another one of those. Previous list took me a better half of 2014 to work through, but it was a good way to stay (relatively) current. Looking forward to what I'll find this time. Got nothing particularly interesting to report so far, but then again I didn't start with the top 10.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

juche mane posted:

That's not jazz. It's not bad though. I assume you've checked out Four Tet? Specifically "Rounds"
My first thought was Squarepusher.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
You may want to check out Quincy Jones, he's the first thing that came to mind when I heard your track. Not a huge fan of orchestral music myself, so I can't come up with any more names right away. Hadn't heard about this film, seems interesting.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Saw him, and he did great, even though the concert was understandably not very long. RIP to the motherfukking genius.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
The giant sax guy? That'll probably be deafening and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
All this talk about Colin Stetson made me check, and I discovered for myself the sequel to "Modern History Warfare pt.2", called "Modern History Warfare part 3"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlPg-g2vP8U
drat.

• Locked thread