Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Since it was mentioned a few times in the Car News thread (and consquently taken up 3 pages of it) I figured the requests for its own thread should be heard.

Over the past 4-5 days theres been some conspicuously timed leaks (1 a day, pretty much) regarding pictures and info on the up coming joint project between Toyota and Subaru - the FT-86.

First, we got pictures from what is supposedly the sales training brochure revealing the final production model. Picturing 2 slightly different body styles in red, and a "modellista" variant in white.

We also got a peek at the interior - again, 2 variations, standard (black) and presumably the up-spec (red)

then a day or two passed and we got a spec sheet, with comparisons to the RX8, MX5 (Miata) and honda CR-Z (but its all in japanese and a huge JPG so im not posting it)

Cliffnotes:

2L N/A boxer 4cyl
HP: 147kw (200ps) / 200hp @7000rpm
Torque: 205nm (151 lb/ft) @ 6600rpm
Weight: 2662 lbs (1210kg) for base manual (~ 2580 lbs dry weight)
2706 lbs for higher trim manual

The leak also tossed out some more pages, detailing less interesting but still great stuff like factory colours, and the spec sheet details there will be 3 models: the base model, a high-spec (read: optioned) model, and a type-RA style model with unpainted bumpers, 16" steel wheels and no stereo.

Then, Subaru got pissed about all the attention Toyota was getting for their hard work and officially showed this picture of the Subaru BRZ concept to be shown at the LA auto show. (its a render)

Frankly I think the Subaru looks better, but as stated its a concept, and its been mentioned a few times now that both the Toyota and Subaru models share everything except front and rear bumpers, badges, and factory/dealer options, so while the Subaru model looks great, it will probably end up looking the same as the Toyota (which isnt a bad thing, its just less of a good thing)

Today, we got a list of TRD optional parts which includes air filter, exhaust, height adjustable suspension, magic Door braces that stiffen the chassis, oil filters, 6 pot front and 4 pot rear Brembos and strut braces, oil/radiator/fuel caps and other such riceboy money grabs. Oh, and the first pictures of the optional TRD aero options

Journalists are coming back giving it rave reviews, although most are agreeing that the power figure is a little low. Good news is that once the cars are actually released, the two separate companies are free to continue on down their own paths with the chassis, so heres hoping subaru make a bitchin 300HP turbo model, or toyota bust a move and throw a supercharger on it.

its been pinned as a drivers car, with a focus on fun rather than balls-out speed.

quote:

As much fun as you’d hope.”
“it feels light and compact, a bit like an MX-5″… “The driving position is low, straight and snug, with grippy front seats”
“the FT-86 feels quite deftly set-up, light on its feet, with a touch of tyre roar that’s to be expected.”
“The great thing about the FT-86 though is, as promised, it really handles. It lets you choose how you want to corner. Add any amount of power and it’ll turn at least neutral.”

links to full reviews:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2062 (CAR magazine)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2063

most of the news is coming from http://www.ft86club.com/, with the forum guys speculating a lot and bitching about no-turbos and all sorts of other typical dumb poo poo (like how ancient the digital clock looks and is going to turn away buyers)

The FT-86/Toyobaru is being aimed for a mid 2012 launch with pricing around 25-30k USD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
it looks like an uglier Hyundai Genesis coupe. Still though it's nice to see Toyota actually make a fun car again, it's been a while.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really
I hope it doesn't have 4 exhaust tips, 2 is pretentious enough.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Laserface posted:

(like how ancient the digital clock looks and is going to turn away buyers)
Now I need to see this digital clock.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Huggable Bear King posted:

it looks like an uglier Hyundai Genesis coupe. Still though it's nice to see Toyota actually make a fun car again, it's been a while.

I thought it was more like a less-offensive 370Z.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The only thing you're missing is Color Options!

Because we all know that red cars go faster than other cars. It's a fact :colbert:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Rabble posted:

The only thing you're missing is Color Options!

Because we all know that red cars go faster than other cars. It's a fact :colbert:

yeah i didnt have a imgur already made for it so i just glossed over it.

Tomorrow should bring some new info hopefully. maybe some decent loving scans instead of pictures from a pre-2002 digital camera.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This thread has overlay comparing the 86 to other sports cars:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9

Don't take them to be dead accurate, though. The S2k is over an inch shorter but is shown to be a few inches longer.

This is the definitive real interior picture that exists, I think:

Note:

the shift pattern
code:
R 1 3 5
  2 4 6
the placement of the engine start button

And the aforementioned 80s red LED clock. I don't really mind it.

I have to admit the hype this car is getting among car enthusiasts seems to be at the right level. Everyone's conjecturing over it and looking forward to more widespread reviews. It's certainly given this forum something to talk about like nothing has in a while.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
And here's a picture of how the engine/trans/diff are located:

Again, don't take this for gospel. Personally wouldn't even bother with the projected heights of the people shown.

But it's a good assumption. If it's even close to this, then the engineers have definitely focused on getting the CoG very low (lower than a Cayman's, according to interviews, I think).

Also, the shifter will have to be remote to the trans instead of directly mounted. Not an issue, just noting.

If this kind of focus was applied all around to make the car handle well and fun to drive, it could definitely find a niche market. Pending an attractive price, of course.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

WHY do they feel the need to put back seats in it? Seriously?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

stevobob posted:

Just like Skylines/silvias/300zx, it makes it easy to deny men wanting a ride home, but hey pretty girl, youll fit just fiiine :whatup:

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

stevobob posted:

I'd guess the insurance would be pricier and because having no back seat significantly limits the potential buying audience. At least with tiny backseats you could drag people around in a pinch.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

stevobob posted:

Because you can put things other than people there, and you can fit more people in if you really, really have to.

I'll be interested to see if I (6'2") can fit comfortably. The one saving grace of my Mustang being stupidly large and heavy is that I can fit comfortably, clutch without banging my knee, and even have a bit of space to move around/adjust my position so I don't go numb on large drives. I doubt the FT-86 will afford any such comfort, but I'd at least like to be able to fit well enough to drive properly.

Also, uglier than the GenCoupe? I think it looks pretty drat good, and the GC is one of those cars that just looks worse and worse every time you see one (at least in my opinion; I liked it at first, and almost bought one, but now I can't stand them).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

stevobob posted:

Dogs and groceries will fit back there just fine.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

stevobob posted:

You can put people back there in a pinch, or a baby seat, or just use it as extra cargo space. You can also pull them and lose weight and gain a parcel shelf. They're extremely useful, just not for sitting.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
"Insurance"

I'm genuinely excited for this car and can't wait to give it a spin. That and the 500 Abarth.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

My favorite size comparison picture:

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
So they basically built the RWD Celica again? Not that it's a bad thing, but if it's the same interior size as the ST205 there's no way anybody over 5'10" is going to fit comfortably.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Holy poo poo is that a joke picture or does that mini have 24" wheels?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

How did they fit a second row of "seats" in the back?? What is this, a car for ANTS!?!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanna drive this car. Probably can't fit comfortably at 6'1" and fat though. :(

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Endless Mike posted:

Wanna drive this car. Probably can't fit comfortably at 6'1" and fat though. :(

The sad thing though is so many cars are getting made to fit tall and fat or just fat in general that seats end up feeling like crap for fit people. I long for the days of snug sports seats in cheaper cars, but it seems affordable seems to mean seats that can accommodate a 300lb person :(

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dietcokefiend posted:

The sad thing though is so many cars are getting made to fit tall and fat or just fat in general that seats end up feeling like crap for fit people. I long for the days of snug sports seats in cheaper cars, but it seems affordable seems to mean seats that can accommodate a 300lb person :(

Yes, gently caress us tall people, right? We shouldn't get to drive nice cars.

6'1" or 6'2" is not all that tall. I don't think most cars need to accomodate Shaquille O'Neal, but it would be nice if tiny sports cars were just a shade less tiny (for what it's worth, Jeremy loving Clarkson can fit in a Lotus Exige, so there's no reason why small cars can't be designed to accomodate tall people).

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

PT6A posted:

Yes, gently caress us tall people, right? We shouldn't get to drive nice cars.

6'1" or 6'2" is not all that tall. I don't think most cars need to accomodate Shaquille O'Neal, but it would be nice if tiny sports cars were just a shade less tiny (for what it's worth, Jeremy loving Clarkson can fit in a Lotus Exige, so there's no reason why small cars can't be designed to accomodate tall people).

I think you are misunderstanding me... not tall but tall and fat or fat. Tall just means you get a slightly higher roof or lower seating position. Fat means you cant have a seat that hugs the butt of a fat person AND a skinny person.

edit: I'm 6'2" and love tight fitting cars

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
As much as I'm looking forward to seeing one of these in the wild, I wish Subaru would start throwing together another concept truck.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dietcokefiend posted:

I think you are misunderstanding me... not tall but tall and fat or fat. Tall just means you get a slightly higher roof or lower seating position. Fat means you cant have a seat that hugs the butt of a fat person AND a skinny person.

edit: I'm 6'2" and love tight fitting cars

Yeah, I guess I did. Sorry about that... I don't see why you needed to add the tall part in at all in that case, though.

Come to think of it, removal of the rear seats would be nice as it would give me more room to push the seat back.

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
It reminds me of a rear wheel drive integra type-r. The rear bumper looks like poo poo.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Image dump from ft86club, talks about technical specifications.

Last couple of shots show some more of the interior.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 2, 2011

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

astropika posted:

I hope it doesn't have 4 exhaust tips, 2 is pretentious enough.

I would assume that's the T(u)RD version. But why not though? 4 cylinders, 4 exhaust tips :haw:.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

kimbo305 posted:

And the aforementioned 80s red LED clock. I don't really mind it.

It wouldn't be a Toyota without that dated clock. :colbert:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I dig the last picture with 4 wheels in the back.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Rabble posted:

Last couple of shots show some more of the interior.

That rear interior is disturbingly similar to the original AE86 interior.

Color me impressed. When the first batch of info about this car came out, I was disappointed. Now I've got a solid 65% chubby for it.

Also the picture of the cross-section of the head (at least the intake port) shows promise for good engine flow. I think I had read somewhere that Yamaha was called in to do some flow work on the head design. (commonplace for Toyota) It's got a Cd halfway between an RX-8 and a Prius (the third car in that list, translated from the katakana) which isn't bad at all. It's probably got a lower frontal area too, so it's fairly slippery for what it is.

I've always wanted to search around for a cherry car to replace my '86 GT-S, but it's getting harder and harder to find one that hasn't been molested more than Sarah Silverman. This is looking like an excellent alternative.

edit:

Mcqueen posted:

I dig the last picture with 4 wheels in the back.

Or the alternate layout with the two gorufu baigu. (golf bags)

vvv - or mummies. gently caress it, they're mummies. I just jacked up the translation.

antimatt fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 2, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It can hold your track wheels or BOTH your mummies.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I see what looks like direct injection, and the rear subframe/suspension is straight out of the 08+ impreza.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

jamal posted:

I see what looks like direct injection, and the rear subframe/suspension is straight out of the 08+ impreza, front suspension looks pretty subaru-y too.

I think it shows placement for both standard and direct injectors. I'd hate to be limited on power due to cylinder washing from direct injection...

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
I hope neither Toyota or Subaru decide they have to sell these in large volume and put in a 4eat transmission, big gulp cupholders and a GPS Twitter 24" LCD console. Goddamn baby boomers with their buying power and the bloated retrobarges lovingly crafted for them as a result!

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

antimatt posted:

I think it shows placement for both standard and direct injectors. I'd hate to be limited on power due to cylinder washing from direct injection...

Right, Toyota's D-4S uses both port and direct injection.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Makes sense, fuel flowing over the valves keeps them clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I really like the front half of the Toyota but the back half of the Subaru is much better.

Countdown to somebody creating a vehicle from both halves like the Sil80.

There hasn't been a car like this in a while. Inexpensive RWD coupe for the masses. Toyota has launched a "ReBORN: Fun to drive, again" campaign. Nothing wrong with making your profits with dull sedans that just work, but hopefully this is the start of more fun cheap RWD coupes that are fun to drive.

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 2, 2011

• Locked thread