Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I'm really intrigued with this car.

I think I might have to wait until the STI version comes around.

And also see if I can fit comfortably, I almost doubt that I will though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cakefool posted:

Holy poo poo is that a joke picture or does that mini have 24" wheels?

I couldn't quite figure that out, either. The smaller wheels are plainly the MINI's, but they aren't centered to the plastic fender flares.

So this pic shows a slightly more rearward placement for the motor:

Doesn't really change anything, but it's good to see that the leading edge is behind the front edge of the wheels.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One nice thing about being 5'8" and fit is I don't have a problem with small rear end cars. Going to have to see this thing in STi trim before I think of buying one.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
With all this talk of possible forced induction TRD and STI versions of this thing, I'm starting to get very interested. If they can somehow make it turbocharged, 2.5L with 300hp, 6speed, and sub $35,000, I'm all over this. And assuming the 6pot/4pot brakes are included with the base model for the $28k range, I think they could pull that pricing off. Hell even make it 250hp and I'd be happy. Anything to have the FI accessories and hardware already in place.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

This car is the first new car which has come out for ages that I would really be interested in buying. I hope the pricing for it in Australia isn't stupidly marked up.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I know it's a bit of a nit-pick, but the first images of the thread are labeled wrong. The shots of the red car are showing off the different personalize options you have with the car from the factory. The interior shots (red/black and black/black with red stitching) are the color combos of the high level trim.

Also, the newest tech sheets are saying the compression ratio is 12.5:1. Doesn't this bode poorly for any sort of FI?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimcicle posted:

Also, the newest tech sheets are saying the compression ratio is 12.5:1. Doesn't this bode poorly for any sort of FI?

Any FI motor based on this design would use different pistons. But new engine control systems could probably do 10+:1 compression easily.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
For some reason subarus don't really work so well with higher compression. we went all the way up to 9.2:1 from 8.2 and then back and didn't really see a noticeable change in spool or power. In fact, a couple people have lost power going up in compression ratio.

I'm even less of a fan of the new motors because they have a longer stroke and shorter rods, which is a bad thing. Hopefully the turbo engine will have a shorter stroke and bigger bore.

evo x is 10:1, mazdaspeed3 9.5:1 for reference though.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.
I hope the Subaru version has some grunt. The Scion one looks pretty subdued

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

jamal posted:

I'm even less of a fan of the new motors because they have a longer stroke and shorter rods, which is a bad thing. Hopefully the turbo engine will have a shorter stroke and bigger bore.

This makes it seem like at least this one will be square.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

You Am I posted:

This car is the first new car which has come out for ages that I would really be interested in buying. I hope the pricing for it in Australia isn't stupidly marked up.

Same here, it's very peculiar. I never thought I'd want to pick up a car brand new but here I am considering it and... and... it's a Toyota?

Can't wait to see what dealer markup is going to be the first few months.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Depending on the insurance bump, I'll definitely look into it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kimbo305 posted:

I couldn't quite figure that out, either. The smaller wheels are plainly the MINI's, but they aren't centered to the plastic fender flares.

I can't see that, sorry. The big wheels are exactly centered in the black plastic mini arches.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

This makes it seem like at least this one will be square.

the bigger issue is the rod length compared to the stroke. Shorter stroke and longer rod means the peak piston acceleration is lower and, in the case of an ej, it makes the motor more efficient. With a boxer engine you're simply limited by the width of the block, and an 86mm stroke means a REALLY short rod (a 2.0 EJ crank has a 75mm stroke). Sticking a 2.0 crank in a 2.5 to make a long rod, short stroke motor is kind of the new big thing in the Subaru world.

On the other hand, the deck height might be taller on the FB. It sort of looked like it when I was poking under the hood of a forester.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 3, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cakefool posted:

I can't see that, sorry. The big wheels are exactly centered in the black plastic mini arches.

Check out that wheel design compared to the other overlays.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think someone in the other thread asked for a BRZ without the wing. Content-aware fill didn't really do it, but with a bit of aribrushing:

It's refreshing to see a concept like this make it, but I think I'll stick with the MX-5 for now.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

You Am I posted:

Ive been looking for a looong time at something thats going to be as fun as my silvia but newer. I got lucky in that mine is the last of the S13s (97) but outside of a WRX from the same era, or other totally impractical cars, there is simple nothing out there that captures any kind of interest. they might be a good hatch, but they are FWD, or they might be RWD, but they are a big lumpy holden/ford. Maybe good AWD but heavy and bad on fuel (and no mantran).

This isnt a hatch, and its not turbo, but its the closest we are probably ever going to get for a long time, but hey, turbos can be bolted on.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I'll consider buying this car the second an aftermarket company comes out with a single exhaust conversion. Try hard much?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Piano posted:

I'll consider buying this car the second an aftermarket company comes out with a single exhaust conversion. Try hard much?

I think you're in the wrong market for this car if civility is on your mind.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Just saw 3 of the tips off. Boom, sleeper look established (may need stick on supercharger on hood).

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mobby_6kl posted:

It's refreshing to see a concept like this make it, but I think I'll stick with the MX-5 for now.

AI cliches aside, its going to be really hard to not want a next-gen Miata over most other cars in the sub-$25k price range...especially if they put the 1.4L Skyactiv engine in it and make good on their promise to drop its weight by 750 lbs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

69sofine posted:

I hope the Subaru version has some grunt. The Scion one looks pretty subdued

Learn how to throw it in at a higher speed, grunt problem solved.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Geoj posted:

AI cliches aside, its going to be really hard to not want a next-gen Miata over most other cars in the sub-$25k price range...especially if they put the 1.4L Skyactiv engine in it and make good on their promise to drop its weight by 750 lbs.

I already completely don't fit in the Miata. Like, it would be unsafe for me to drive. I don't see how they can make it any smaller, but they've promised to.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Skyssx posted:

I already completely don't fit in the Miata. Like, it would be unsafe for me to drive. I don't see how they can make it any smaller, but they've promised to.

I don't fit in them either and the RX8 was worse. Seriously Mazda not everyone who wants to drive a sports car is a 5" tall woman.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

You're in luck because this car apparently has the same cabin dimensions and two bonus seats.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
This is the first time in forever I have been excited for a new car coming out, I just can't stand reading threads or forums about it.

Everybody has to give his opinion about the LCD clock in the dash, or how many exhaust tips, or what color to paint the bike shed.

I think it should be green

aventari fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 3, 2011

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Awesome. 2,662 pounds? Not loving gigantic? Toyota reliability? Works for me.

200 or so horsepower isn't that much for a modern sports car, sure, but it's plenty for a car that light.

Fake edit: Yeah, couldn't care less about the clock.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

aventari posted:

This is the first time in forever I have been excited for a new car coming out, I just can't stand reading threads or forums about it.

Honestly I find outside of SA I can't really stand reading any comments anymore.

Seriously though this is a really nice car and I'm thrilled to see them coming out with it. I just hope this thing takes off and pushes obscene volume so we have Ford, Mazda, et al going in the same direction as well.

Imagine it, modern sub-3000 lb RWD coupes from 4 or 5 different manufacturers, each with high-revving modern engines. It brings tears to my eyes.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Have they come up with an MSRP yet? I'm not sure if I'm going to want a BRZ or a used STi. I'm leaning very strongly towards STi, but all this info coming out has given me pause.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm generally a full throttle V8 muscle car guy, but for some reason I am really digging this car.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

kylej posted:

I think you're in the wrong market for this car if civility is on your mind.

Yeah, civility would be the last thing on my mind with the 200hp 150ft/lb monster here.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

aventari posted:

Everybody has to give his opinion about the LCD clock in the dash, or how many exhaust tips, or what color to paint the bike shed.

What do you want people to talk about? How the seats feel? How the test drive was?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

MATLAB 1988 posted:

I hope neither Toyota or Subaru decide they have to sell these in large volume and put in a 4eat transmission, big gulp cupholders and a GPS Twitter 24" LCD console. Goddamn baby boomers with their buying power and the bloated retrobarges lovingly crafted for them as a result!

I can see some problems with packaging a turbocharger in this thing since the engine is so far back compared to a regular Subaru which already has major problems with turbo and intercooler plubming due to the H4's exhaust path. Where would you put the turbo that still allows enough clearance for both LHD and RHD models?

However there's no reason I can see why they can't fit the flat-6 from the Legacy/Outback in there for a neu-SVX.

What I'd like to see is the flat-6(it would work with a flat4 too I suppose) in there with one of the new generation Roots superchargers on top. The H6 engine is perfectly laid out for such a thing, you can make it so the compressor side exits upwards into an intercooler on top, like the CTS-V/ZR1, except since the flat engine is so low you could probably make it an air-air intercooler with a signature Subaru hood scoop. I can't post pics on this connection but GIS a cutaway of the ZR1's engine to see what I mean. That way you avoid all the problems with turbos on a H4 engine.

Audi can get 400+hp out of such a setup with a 3l V6.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 3, 2011

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

kimbo305 posted:

What do you want people to talk about? How the seats feel? How the test drive was?

The seats were too big/small and too leather/fabric, and for the test drive all they had on the lot were automatics. :v:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

You Am I posted:

I hope the pricing for it in Australia isn't stupidly marked up.

Haha, oh you. Look at this silly thing you said :allears:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

David Corbett posted:

Awesome. 2,662 pounds? Not loving gigantic? Toyota Subaru reliability? Works for me.

Fixed that for ya. Subaru engine in a Subaru engineered car. Toyota seems to just have pinned the design and wrote a check.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.
Blown headgaskets, broken ringlands, and rod knock for EVERYBODY!

edit: Forgot about spun bearings

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Throatwarbler posted:

I can see some problems with packaging a turbocharger in this thing since the engine is so far back compared to a regular Subaru which already has major problems with turbo and intercooler plubming due to the H4's exhaust path. Where would you put the turbo that still allows enough clearance for both LHD and RHD models?

However there's no reason I can see why they can't fit the flat-6 from the Legacy/Outback in there for a neu-SVX.

What I'd like to see is the flat-6(it would work with a flat4 too I suppose) in there with one of the new generation Roots superchargers on top. The H6 engine is perfectly laid out for such a thing, you can make it so the compressor side exits upwards into an intercooler on top, like the CTS-V/ZR1, except since the flat engine is so low you could probably make it an air-air intercooler with a signature Subaru hood scoop. I can't post pics on this connection but GIS a cutaway of the ZR1's engine to see what I mean. That way you avoid all the problems with turbos on a H4 engine.

Audi can get 400+hp out of such a setup with a 3l V6.

There is an aftermarket twin-screw supercharger for the cooper S that I think could be able to fit, at least size-wise anyway. It's supposed to be about a 40hp upgrade over the stock m45 SC.

Even the M45 should fit, I'm just not going to pretend to try and figure out how to route everything

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 3, 2011

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BoostCreep posted:

Fixed that for ya. Subaru engine in a Subaru engineered car. Toyota seems to just have pinned the design and wrote a check.
From what I have read from magazine articles on the development of this car, Toyota helped Subaru hugely with the motor, especially with the direct injection, fuel economy and emissions issues that Subaru were having with this motor. Sure it is a flat four, but is much a Toyota as it is a Subaru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I wouldn't be too concerned with Subaru's ability to make a reliable naturally aspirated engine.

• Locked thread