Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

wallaka posted:

Get an e46 M3 for less money and faster real-world driving with more power and practicality, more reliability, cheaper serviceability

Are they reliable? My friend's 06 M3 just ate its intake cam with 65k miles on the odometer. It's now a very expensive paperweight in need of a new engine. Between that and e46 cars ripping the trunk floor out due to rear subframe issues, I feel like a low mileage properly modded BRZ isn't a bad choice.

I mean I wouldn't buy the BRZ myself, but I don't see an issue buying a modded car as long as it was done correctly. Not every person who works on cars is a mouth breathing idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
If you don't know them and the kind of work they do, though, are you really willing to roll the dice with thirty grand?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dick Burglar posted:

If you don't know them and the kind of work they do, though, are you really willing to roll the dice with thirty grand?

Certainly don't buy it and drive it without inspecting it first. It's either installed correctly or it isn't. A local shop would be more than happy to take a small amount of money to inspect the work to make sure it's done correctly, if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

BoostCreep posted:

Are they reliable? My friend's 06 M3 just ate its intake cam with 65k miles on the odometer. It's now a very expensive paperweight in need of a new engine. Between that and e46 cars ripping the trunk floor out due to rear subframe issues, I feel like a low mileage properly modded BRZ isn't a bad choice.

I mean I wouldn't buy the BRZ myself, but I don't see an issue buying a modded car as long as it was done correctly. Not every person who works on cars is a mouth breathing idiot.

The M3's didn't really have the subframe issue, and there's a TSB out on them anyway with a free inspection and repair if needed. I sold my 2004 with 120,000 miles on it with no problems.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Later e36 M3's got the reinforced subframes, but e46 didn't. They actually seemed to have worse failures than their predecessors from the research I've done.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

wallaka posted:

Caymans are ridiculously, sublimely good-handling ill-tempered beasts at the best of times. Get an e46 M3 for less money and faster real-world driving with more power and practicality, more reliability, cheaper serviceability and 99.997% less chance of shorting out the front control module (and subsequent random cascading module failures) via the unforeseen act of detailing the loving car. Even disregarding the IMS ticking time bomb, the first gen Caymans are hot garbage. If you ever have to transport a cooler or suitcases or anything other than the regulation Porsche golf bags you will hate life.

If this is a track toy, disregard. Get a Miata.

This post was a bit frantic. Were you the one that lost the ECU to waxing? It sounds like you were personally wronged by the first gen Cayman.

The 987.1 Cayman is not a good track car. End of story. The updated IMS bearing on the 2006+ Porsche motors (so all of the Cayman's gen 1 run) worked well on the street with few failures. The larger bearings led to failures at high RPMs . The 987.2 Cayman with the 9A1 3.4 is an excellent track car but naturally cost a bit more. Racing teams ran the 9A1 3.4 PDK Caymans in an endurance series with no drivetrain failures.

If you're just after a weekend or canyon car the first gen Cayman is an excellent choice. Trunks up front and back, good visibility, under 3000lbs and about 400lbs lighter than the e46 M3. They certainly cost more but they're far from hot garbage. The Cayman/Boxster platform has access to the engine from the top, bottom, and an access panel behind the seats.

As for the e46 subframe issue, it is real. It may not have happened to you anecdotally but if you're over 100k miles and plan to track you're on borrowed time. The standard subframe bracing kits seem to hold up well to track use from what I have seen. Once they go it can be salvaged but at pretty significant cost. If you're thinking about an e46 M3 I cannot understand why you wouldn't do the subframe kit; it's very cheap.

This post had nothing to do with a Toyobaru.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

This post was a bit frantic. Were you the one that lost the ECU to waxing? It sounds like you were personally wronged by the first gen Cayman.

The 987.1 Cayman is not a good track car. End of story. The updated IMS bearing on the 2006+ Porsche motors (so all of the Cayman's gen 1 run) worked well on the street with few failures. The larger bearings led to failures at high RPMs . The 987.2 Cayman with the 9A1 3.4 is an excellent track car but naturally cost a bit more. Racing teams ran the 9A1 3.4 PDK Caymans in an endurance series with no drivetrain failures.

If you're just after a weekend or canyon car the first gen Cayman is an excellent choice. Trunks up front and back, good visibility, under 3000lbs and about 400lbs lighter than the e46 M3. They certainly cost more but they're far from hot garbage. The Cayman/Boxster platform has access to the engine from the top, bottom, and an access panel behind the seats.

As for the e46 subframe issue, it is real. It may not have happened to you anecdotally but if you're over 100k miles and plan to track you're on borrowed time. The standard subframe bracing kits seem to hold up well to track use from what I have seen. Once they go it can be salvaged but at pretty significant cost. If you're thinking about an e46 M3 I cannot understand why you wouldn't do the subframe kit; it's very cheap.

This post had nothing to do with a Toyobaru.

Yes, it was me. Just bad luck, I guess. More reliable cars than a Cayman that I've owned: 1972 Ford F100. 2005 E55 AMG. 2004 M3. 2004 Cavalier. 1968 Mercury Monterey.

1988 Cavalier.

A Dodge.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Touting a BMW as more reliable than something is sort of an eyebrow raiser

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Did you see the last two entries? I didn't mention the '88 CRX because, duh, Honda.

Fake edit: also a 1998 Mercury Sable with THAT transmission.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Are the 2012+ (non-S) models also garbage?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

oRenj9 posted:

Are the 2012+ (non-S) models also garbage?

Are you talking Cayman or did we move on?

If it's the Cayman, I'm assuming you're talking about the current generation 981 (2014+)? Those engines are DFI so you're good there. The base model's 2.7L is fine I guess but it's probably the king of highest cost to torque ratio in the industry (starts at $55k-ish? for 213lb-ft). Still a great car but I'd go used S if you're in the market as they're reliable cars and the S is a huge step in power.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Are you talking Cayman or did we move on?

If it's the Cayman, I'm assuming you're talking about the current generation 981 (2014+)? Those engines are DFI so you're good there. The base model's 2.7L is fine I guess but it's probably the king of highest cost to torque ratio in the industry (starts at $55k-ish? for 213lb-ft). Still a great car but I'd go used S if you're in the market as they're reliable cars and the S is a huge step in power.

I was talking base Cayman. Be it the S or the non-S, the 1st-gen Cayman is not a straight-line speed car. The IMS issue is also way overblown.

I drove the Cayman hard on the street and hard on the track without any issues, in fact it held up in stock form better than any other car I've owned.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Oh, are we still talking about that modded BRZ? I actually did go to check it out.
Trip report:
  • a few nicks and scratches on the exterior, but nothing bad, life in San Francisco I suppose
  • interior plastic on rear passenger side is all scuffed and scratched from child seat
  • shroud/plastics/undertray under the front end is pretty scuffed from bottoming out, but I guess that would be kinda normal
  • the blower sounds weird as hell. Pretty loud induction sound, but it was enough to make me think something was off... it might actually be fine since I've never heard one of these setups before, but it's not that awesome of a sound. I expected just a bit of whine. If there truly were something wrong with the blower it has a warranty though, and JR is in California
  • suspension and tires are nice, car seems to rotate easily (when owner was driving)
  • throttle is pretty twitchy down low. It takes care/effort to drive smoothly because slight movement of the throttle gives more power than you want.
  • front bumper has a slight fitting issue on the driver's side on account of the intercooler and oil cooler -- I looked on the forums and it's apparently not that uncommon *shrug*
  • above 5k rpm the car does feel actually fast to me. It pulls hard enough to push you into your seat and it's satisfying. Below that, however, it just doesn't hit as hard. You still can't just mash it on the street and feel gobs of torque like I assume a modern DI factory turbo car or V8 has
  • seller seems level-headed and not-an-idiot

Anyway, I told the guy I might be interested at 24k, but didn't expect him to take that right now. He's got a few more folks looking at it supposedly, but said he'd be willing to do $26.5k. I probably won't pursue it. If I were interested I'd obviously do a PPI at a shop, perhaps a JRSC dealer.

Reasons I personally would choose this (in theory) over a 987.1:
  • I like the way the Toyobaru looks more than the 987
  • cavernous storage with the fold-down seats
  • 5000 miles and not 60,000
  • I expect most parts and running costs to be cheaper than the Porsche
  • even if the engine grenades, junkyard motors are apparently only $3500
  • no IMS boogeyman

Anyway, still considering a stock one. I'll go kick the tires at a dealer. Or just get a C5 z06 and call it a day.

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 8, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is the JR kit a Rotrex? If so, they don't sound like other superchargers, I think.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Phone posted:

Is the JR kit a Rotrex? If so, they don't sound like other superchargers, I think.

yeah rotrex. I wouldn't be surprised if the sound is totally normal.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Yeah you don't get the nice whine of a roots blower unfortunately

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Help me understand centrifugal superchargers. They seem like it's the combination of the worst parts of a roots supercharger and a turbo. You get the parasitic drag associated with a belt-driven supercharger and the lag of a turbo waiting for it to spool. I get the impression it's cheap and easy to integrate to a lot of platforms hence its popularity.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah they are compact and easy to adapt to most engines. Basically a bracket and a different accessory belt. Not really great for making huge power but gives a nice boost all the way across the rev range.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Help me understand centrifugal superchargers. They seem like it's the combination of the worst parts of a roots supercharger and a turbo. You get the parasitic drag associated with a belt-driven supercharger and the lag of a turbo waiting for it to spool. I get the impression it's cheap and easy to integrate to a lot of platforms hence its popularity.

Centrifugal superchargers don't have lag like a turbo. Turbo lag happens when you have to wait for the more intake air->more combustion->more exhaust->more boost->more intake air feedback loop to spool up and stabilize itself after you open the throttle. Since a supercharger is driven directly from the engine, it will always give you constant boost at a given RPM and throttle position.

With that said, they do have more "turbo-like" power delivery, and tend to add more power at the top of the rev range. That can feel "laggy" just because you have to wait for power after you stomp on the accelerator, even though you're not waiting for a turbine to physically spool up.

Besides the cheapness and ease of direct integration, centrifugal blowers are also easier to set up with air-to-air intercoolers, and more efficient than Roots and twin-screw types - there's still parasitic drag, but not as much.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

jamal posted:

Yeah they are compact and easy to adapt to most engines. Basically a bracket and a different accessory belt. Not really great for making huge power but gives a nice boost all the way across the rev range.

Eh, depends. Procharger D1SC and P1SC can make some serious god drat power. I know numerous LS1 cars over 600whp at less than 15psi.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Isn't part of the advantage vs. a Roots blower also adiabatic (hi!) efficiency, or has that been less of a benefit when looking at newer designs?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Scion is dead and the FR-S is being rolled into Toyota as the 86. new bumper/wheels/tail lights and :lol: 5 additional horsepower.

The Front bumper is pretty gross though everything else is a marked improvement.

https://www.scion.com/scionracing/10737/drivers/2017-toyota-86-will-unveiled-nyias/

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
At least they get different gearing and a tiny power tweak, europe just gets the styling change and updated suspension.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I like that new one.
But maybe itll look a bit different in rl. Renders be weird that way.

(Did they ditch the tiny wheels)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Laserface posted:

Scion is dead and the FR-S is being rolled into Toyota as the 86. new bumper/wheels/tail lights and :lol: 5 additional horsepower.

The Front bumper is pretty gross though everything else is a marked improvement.

https://www.scion.com/scionracing/10737/drivers/2017-toyota-86-will-unveiled-nyias/

There doesn't seem to be a place for fog lights, isn't that required in certain areas?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

There doesn't seem to be a place for fog lights, isn't that required in certain areas?

They also said they got new fog lights but I cant see where they would fit.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Rigged Death Trap posted:

(Did they ditch the tiny wheels)

Probably not, considering that's part of the design philosophy of the car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I hope the 5hp comes with another torque dip.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Those rims are a major upgrade over the current oem ones.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Laserface posted:

Those wheels look so much better drat. Also they kinda stole the toms taillight design

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Looking forward to the price drop on the first generation. As soon as my kid is in a front facing seat I'll be getting one of these again.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Laserface posted:

I really like the new tails although, as coolskillrex remix pointed out, it's basically ripping off an aftermarket design. Wheels are good, nice and simple. Bumper is awful. Looks like somebody punched the car in the face and gave it a fat lip.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
The front bumper really does look like someone started to melt the front end of a Lexus.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Calidus posted:

The front bumper really does look like someone started to melt the front end of a Lexus.

Considering Lexii are uprated toyotas its to be expected.
Still like it better though. Its got a revised S-FR butt which i like quite a bit

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It looks like they decided to give it the Subaru's stupid black plastic moustache. The best thing about the FRS was not having the moustache...

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
http://imgur.com/1ZSdPcY So I bought a thing after driving my brothers. So far it's awsome.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So aside from the ruined interior, what else is wrong with it?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

GutBomb posted:

So aside from the ruined interior, what else is wrong with it?

It still scrapes the road with your mom in it. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is that actually factory interior? I'm unfamiliar with that design if it is. I was suggesting that if a car's interior has been hosed with its probably also been hosed with under the hood.

• Locked thread