Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I'm basically never going to have kids so I'm down for the BRZ.

I think it looks the tits and on paper it appears to be free of gimmicks and geegaws.

Love the clock and hope they don't fuckup the steering feel.

As long it fits, I'm 6' 4" godamnit.

And as long as they bring back the Boxer rumble (which they stupidly removed from the current naturally aspirated lineup, and the Leggy GT for that matter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

D C posted:

I'm 6'4 and I have a tall torso, I barely fit in my s13 240sx.

Yeah I have gams like loving Heidi Klum so I hope they have a telescoping wheel and no sunroof.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

According to that Car and Driver preview, there's no sunroof option. Excellent.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

All this retro cool is lost on the cynical Scion branding.

I'm sure the aftermarket powers that be are putting together an "86" badge kit to replace whatever BS name Scion comes up with.

The suits in Toyota HQ will be flummoxed when they find out the most popular mod in America for their highly customizable sportscar is a set of 86 badges.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 27, 2011

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

If Mustang driver stereotypes and to be seen 86 driver stereotypes are true, then it could be the case. But I'm still not convinced that only hardcore people will buy this car.

For better or worse, I saw an autobox version in that TTAC report, so you know it'll be a huge hit with the :airquote: hairdresser and secretary :airquote: segment.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

-a Subaru boxer that revs to 7000. Will sound like god.

-Now we wait on how they plan to de-content this thing for the Americas.
Don't count on alcantara bits, pushbutton start, seat heaters. Navi and foglights will be part of a $4000 "sport package", etc...

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I really dig the interior.

I love how the heated seat switches are the exact same as my 07 WRX.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I demand to know the height of this man.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Man, choosing between this and a GTI is going to be really tough. Props to them for making it look at least somewhat acceptable.

I test drove the heck out of the current GTI in hopes of replacing my unmodded, base model 07 Subie Legacy and found the driving experience surprisingly sterile and uninvolving. Everything from hard acceleration to freeway onramps and pulling mad Gs felt muted. Never mind the feathery-light clutch pedal.

Without a doubt the GTI was the faster, more capable car but the old Legacy had more soul.

Since the 86 was almost exclusively engineered and developed by Subaru, I'm having pretty high hopes for how this thing drives, specs and lap times be damned.

Having said that, I promised myself I'd never get a car with frameless windows again, but I may very well be breaking that promise when the BRZ drops.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

VolumeBroadcast posted:

So aside from being badged as a Scion (american marketing... sigh) whats looking to be the preferable version, the Toyota or the Subaru? Seems like they're near identical, was wondering what you guys preferred.

<---Subaru and Mazda fan here so I'm biased.

Subaru without a doubt.

Firstly, because Scion =

Secondly, I'll totally be rocking the stickers:

Hmmm, also I reckon the lower fascia is much nicer on the Subie.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

InitialDave posted:

This always seems to cause a huge amount of :rolleyes: with some people, but I know what you mean. That "Fisher-Price toy" feeling?

I wouldn't call it a toy feeling... indeed, the GTI feels solid as the proverbial bank vault. The whole experience felt so precise and proper; I just couldn't get Kraftwerk's Trans Europe Express out of my head on the test drive.

This was only on a 30min test drive (but without salesman).

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 30, 2011

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Ya, there's some economy of truth going on here.

There's this, from Tada:

"Mr. Toyoda almost continuously participated in the development of this car. Not as President, but as a test driver."

Then this, from the C/D article:

"Senior project general manager Masuda says that only Subaru personnel were in the engineering bullpens and at the test track during the car’s three-year gestation...

'We delivered the best chassis we could,' he says, 'and then the styling of  the car was basically [Toyota’s] role.'"

In any case, both sides have stuck their necks out far enough to lose lots of face if the car is a failure...

kimbo305 posted:

The other side of the story (that Toyota was heavily involved with development) is a pretty big gulf. To wit:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/08/the-truth-about-the-ft-86-straight-from-the-mouth-of-the-chief-engineer/
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/11/finally-ttac-gets-its-hands-on-the-ft86-and-its-chief-engineer/

While Tada is a bit elliptic about which engineers were getting chewed out, I find Hirakawa's claims in the C&D article a bit tough to believe.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 30, 2011

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

More juicy tidbits and conjecture:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1111_2011_tokyo_motor_show_subaru_brz_first_look/

...197 hp and 151 lb-ft of torque in European trim. (Subaru reps told us the North American-spec BRZ will pack seven or eight horsepower more than the European version.)

The BRZ has a fairly flat torque curve, with a slight bump low in the RPM range due to the FA's 4-2-1 exhaust, and a 7450-rpm redline..."anything is possible" and that the FA "can be tweaked for more power in the future."

BRZ car line manager Todd Hill pointed out that "the suspension tuning will be different than the Toyota version of the car. I can't say how, but it will be a little bit different."

Subaru also told us that global BRZs (as well as GT 86s) will have larger, more prominent exhaust outlets that we won't see here because of federal regulations.

Subaru will initially offer the BRZ in two trim levels: Premium and Limited. The BRZ Premium will cost about the same as a base Impreza WRX and come standard with the aforementioned Torsen limited-slip diff, navigation, Bluetooth, iPod compatibility, and HID headlights. Subaru wasn't clear on pricing or features for the BRZ Limited..

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Some tuner-special models starting to trickle out: http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/12/01/car-spotlight-gt-gt-modified-scion-fr-s-by-greddy-b.aspx

Not bad, not bad.

I mean really, who buys a Juke R over this?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Great to hear the front passenger seat folds down.
I have few friends, but do have to carry awkward loads; this could very well serve as an "only car".

Isizzlehorn posted:

While I expect 90% of you are avid Autoblog readers, for those that aren't, first drive review of the BRZ: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/05/2013-subaru-brz-first-drive-review/

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

"the BRZ was designed from the start with extra headroom to accommodate a roll-cage installation"

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1070072_2013-subaru-brz-pricing-info-new-details-live-photos

This + no sunroof + telescoping steering wheel= good news for tall goons.
possibly a better fit than my Legacy.

The only remaining issue is tall guy in small auto-mobile syndrome

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

japtor posted:

And found something on height...well not about the clearance but this guy likes it at least:
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/11/27/new-car-gt-a-closer-look-at-the-toyota-86.aspx

Good find. I'm officially semi-hard now.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

How does it seem size wise?
The internet says it's practically identical in external size to a 370z...

Does it seem so in the flesh?

Residency Evil posted:

Just got back from the Philly car show where they had a BRZ on display. Unfortunately I wasn't able to sit in it, but my first impression was extremely favorable. It looks a bit strange from the rear, but overall it's great. It's incredible how low they got the engine.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Curious as to how it "sits"; the 370 is the only frame of reference I can think of at the moment.
This pic floating around suggests they're pretty similar, but check out low much lower the 86s' hood sits. Pretty remarkable...

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Interesting, it just occurred to me that the Toyobaru is 2 inches wider than my 07 Leggy...

PS is it an industry standard to include mirrors when measuring width? If so I guess the numbers mean nothing...

japtor posted:

Found these as "preliminary" specs for the 86:
Length 166.7 in.
Width 69.9 in.
Height 51.2 in. (think I saw 48-49" some other places)
Wheelbase 101.2 in.
Track F/R 59.8/60.6 in.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 29, 2012

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Thanks a million for this.

This picture should be on the front page of that f86club website.

I must admit you don't look terribly comfortable, but if you say it's ok, then it's ok.

I think you've answered the prayers of hundreds if not thousands of big people.

Splizwarf posted:

Not only do we both fit nicely, I suspect I might even be able to handle a clutch thanks to the telescopic tilt wheel. The seating and positioning was absolutely comfortable for both of us, which is absurd. My hair sticks up about 2 inches and was just barely brushing the headliner, so I should even be able to get a helmet on in there. I assume I don't have to explain to any of you just how great it is to say "Holy poo poo, this car; we should get one." and have my wife go "Hell yeah!"

Every last one of you bastards is going to fit in this car just fine. Well, not all at once, of course; after all, it's not a hatch. :v:

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

davebo posted:

Getting away from the E30 M3 and back to the comparable-powered Toyobaru, what if we compared it a beige-box like the Sport model ford fusion? It's front wheel drive but you've got 263hp and 249ftlbs with I think a DSG correct? That's about 27k so I don't know if that's what we'll be looking at price-wise for the brz or not. I haven't driven the fusion but I imagine if the suspension is sportier than the base model it would at least be able to take turns at speed without frightening the driver, yeah?

I've driven a Fusion Sport v6 and found it very nose heavy; it plows even in benign maneuvers like u-turns.
But yeah, it's got plenty of giddy-up n' go.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I'm surprised at how much better fuel economy the Auto gets vs. the Manual (28 vs 25 combined MPG).

With $5 a gallon gas on the way, and surely $6 a gallon during the time I own the car, am I a bad person for even considering the auto?

The videos featuring auto equipped cars didn't seem that bad.

Right now I'm paying about 300 bucks a month on gas for my 07 Legacy (22mpg combined), an expense that I'd love to shave down.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Ribkid's getting a BRZ

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I HATE PINK BIKES posted:

http://vimeo.com/39460579

Video of the Scorch Racing / Max Orido IS-F86

@ 0:54

I wonder why they would strip out the whole interior but leave the speaker cones in?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Vancouver Auto Show is happening this week.

Anyone know if you can sit in the BRZ?

Quick google reveals nothing, but I see the FR-S is roped off.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You couldn't sit in either at Calgary or Edmonton. From what I understand the BRZ is partially mocked up.

Was it silver?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

PT6A posted:

Tried it at Calgary. No dice. I think they were under very strict orders not to let anyone in. From what I'd heard, not even the salespeople were allowed to sit in it.

At least the BRZ was just in the middle of the floor. The Scion was on a plinth and surrounded by ropes.

Yup, just read at the Other Place that Vancouver has a similar setup, BRZ on the floor but locked, FR-S on a plinth.

Oh well, guess we just have to wait til they show up at dealers...

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It might be one of those typical weird Subaru option decisions they change for the 2014 model year, but if they're available in any market it may have the necessary wiring in the steering column and only need to have the panels with the buttons swapped out.

This. Subaru has a rich history of loving early adoptors. Just off the top of my head:

05 to 06 Legacy: Folding rear seatback

08 to 09 WRX: Bigger turbo, revised suspension

10 to 11 WRX: Widebody kit, revised suspension

12 to 13 Legacy: 40% less body roll (!?!)

On one hand they're great at continuous improvement, but pity the fool who buys a year early!

FWIW, no steering wheel controls doesn't bother me, but mark my words it's coming next year, as is a revised front bumper and side "vents".

That sweet rear end matte white will follow, too.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 8, 2012

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

The stripper, "track-ready" RA version saves about 100 lbs:

http://www.autosavant.com/2012/02/11/toyota-subaru-unveil-lightweight-gt86-rc-and-brz-ra-models/

On the weight savings side of the equation, they have succeeded by cutting 100 pounds from the car.

...the stock 17 inch aluminum wheels are shelved in favor of cheaper 16 inch steel wheels, and the fog lights have been removed to shed precious weight...

...engineers left no stone unturned in the quest for maximum weight reduction, and took the liberty of not only removing typically heavy components such as the air conditioning unit, the stock stereo unit, and speaker assemblies. But also more unconventional items which include the foot-well lights, the glove box assembly, the plastic trim pieces from the steering wheel and shifter, the glove box assembly, and the indentations for the cup holders...

Also, it won't be available in North America because no one will buy it except for mattdizzleZ28.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

I don't think anyone's saying that, though. I think they're saying that this is a case where the interests of them as consumers are different from the interests of Toyota the company because most consumers don't give two wet shits about the profitability or reputation of the Scion nameplate whereas Toyota naturally does. If given the free choice between Toyota and Scion badging, with absolutely zero impact on cost, I bet a majority of buyers would prefer the Toyota badge. I don't think the average consumer would be willing to pay much more than $100 to be given the choice, so it's a tiny sacrifice, but I do feel that it's still an extremely minor instance where Toyota is working against consumer preference to polish their corporate turds. Again, their actual sales losses due to badging are probably tiny, and in the end it's just something we'll have to accept in exchange for making the car available in the first place, but I can understand why people would idly wish that the car was offered under both nameplates even though they almost always share dealerships anyway.

I will not give a penny to Scion, a brand that exists only in America* purely as a pandering, cynical marketing ploy.

The drat car is a Toyota GT-86 everywhere else in the world.

So Subaru it is.

*Canada got splashed by some of the afterbirth

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 14, 2012

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Rabble posted:

By that logic you shouldn't buy an Acura, Lexus, or Infiniti.

Flawed logic, sure. But Scion really rubs me the wrong way.

Gen Why: Buried under student debt? Erosion of the middle class got ya down? Baby boomers destroy the planet and all hope for the future?

>>SCION<< INSPIRATION COMES STANDARD.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

So how big is this thing on the flesh compared to a 370Z or 2001 Celica?

It's weird, judging from the specs it's practically the same size as a 370Z (which is a big car in the flesh), yet is shorter than a Celica (which is tiny).

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

PT6A posted:

Why even offer lovely speakers in a $30,000 car?

You must be new to the world of Subaru automobiles.

I can't think of a worse car stereo than the one in my 07 Leggy.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Guys guys guys, Subaru will do what they've always done.

They'll improve the 2014 model in such a way that it totally fucks over the early adopters.

If I'm wrong, I'll give everyone here a penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

If they build it I will come.

• Locked thread