Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

To cater to fools who want to ride a real motorcycle but can't be arsed to learn how a clutch works. Jesus gently caress, just ride a scooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Centrifugal superchargers are a horrible match for small displacement engines though. I bet the dyno chart looks like an exponent graph.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

A centrifugal supercharger will magnify an already peaky powerband and won't solve the problems that everybody has with the engine.
A twin-screw supercharger or a turbo will give it power at the RPMs you generally drive at.

coolskillrex remix posted:

Anecdotes are great because I have a 2002 mustang gt with a 6psi 2.1 kenne bell setup and I have a brz on order. I didnt test drive a brz, i test drove a manual fr-s, and i shifted at 5k rpm while on the test drive and while it wasnt as powerful as my mustang it certainly put down the power in a more smooth manner. Having 380 ft lbs of torque at the crank in my car doesnt do me any good when it just shimmys the back end every. single. time. True the car has some stock probably 3.31 (or 3.11) rear end gear ratio which makes every gear tall and awful but whatever (like 2nd gear feels similar to first gear in a frs, while 1st gear will just rip tires up).

The live axle probably has something to do with that shimmying, or maybe your control arm bushings are shot. I've never noticed any issues in my SR20-powered 240SX, it makes less horsepower than this kit but has gobs of mid-range torque. I'd trade power under the curve for peak power all day long.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

fag magnet posted:

i don't understand what problem everyone has with the engine. it's a peaky high-rpm short-stroke engine tuned not tuned for low-end torque. yes, you can't drive it like a v8 but that's not an inherent design flaw. does everyone say "oh, the miata is crap because it doesn't have 250ftlb of torque at 2000rpm"? no. it's just the nature of the beast.

personally, the problem i have with the engine is that, for the money i either want more power (in this case more revs) or suspension/wheel/tires that aren't parts bin tuner special stuff. the chassis geometry is nice, but the rear end is basically a GR impreza rear with the cheapest of stamped steel everywhere, the front is similar, the wheels and tires are terrible parts bin crap, and the engine needs more peak power. for 4-5k (ie, the cost of replacing the cheap parts) more you can get a base 370Z with proper suspension geometry, a much better engine, etc.

I like the BR-S and what it represents, but for power adders basically anything would be better than a centrifugal blower. I dislike the Z. Heavy, expensive, harsh riding, hate the engine sound, just don't like it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Hmm, not a terrible torque curve. Much better than I expected, I guess the last one I had experience with was on a B16. It felt like a 2-stroke dirtbike, with like 50 horsepower coming on in the space of 400 rpm or so at the top of the rev range.

A turbo would still be better.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Thread title delivers again.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I don't own a BRZ but in the history of cars, no car has ever been made worse by more power. This is a dumb argument.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I personally don't see why any car needs more than the 120 bhp it was destined to have. I can keep up with freeway traffic in my 1963 Ford Falcon with the 200 ci "Thriftpower" six and two-speed "Ford-O-Matic" transmission just fine, thank you. No need for more. You're just "hot rodders" to want more...why, I have a 23-second zero-to-sixty! Perfectly adequate. All you "Max Wedges" are just chasing nonsense.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I'm cooler than you all, let me tell you about :siren: my girlfriend :siren:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

oRenj9 posted:

drat, I wish I could find a decent Cayman around here.

Caymans are ridiculously, sublimely good-handling ill-tempered beasts at the best of times. Get an e46 M3 for less money and faster real-world driving with more power and practicality, more reliability, cheaper serviceability and 99.997% less chance of shorting out the front control module (and subsequent random cascading module failures) via the unforeseen act of detailing the loving car. Even disregarding the IMS ticking time bomb, the first gen Caymans are hot garbage. If you ever have to transport a cooler or suitcases or anything other than the regulation Porsche golf bags you will hate life.

If this is a track toy, disregard. Get a Miata.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

BoostCreep posted:

Are they reliable? My friend's 06 M3 just ate its intake cam with 65k miles on the odometer. It's now a very expensive paperweight in need of a new engine. Between that and e46 cars ripping the trunk floor out due to rear subframe issues, I feel like a low mileage properly modded BRZ isn't a bad choice.

I mean I wouldn't buy the BRZ myself, but I don't see an issue buying a modded car as long as it was done correctly. Not every person who works on cars is a mouth breathing idiot.

The M3's didn't really have the subframe issue, and there's a TSB out on them anyway with a free inspection and repair if needed. I sold my 2004 with 120,000 miles on it with no problems.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

This post was a bit frantic. Were you the one that lost the ECU to waxing? It sounds like you were personally wronged by the first gen Cayman.

The 987.1 Cayman is not a good track car. End of story. The updated IMS bearing on the 2006+ Porsche motors (so all of the Cayman's gen 1 run) worked well on the street with few failures. The larger bearings led to failures at high RPMs . The 987.2 Cayman with the 9A1 3.4 is an excellent track car but naturally cost a bit more. Racing teams ran the 9A1 3.4 PDK Caymans in an endurance series with no drivetrain failures.

If you're just after a weekend or canyon car the first gen Cayman is an excellent choice. Trunks up front and back, good visibility, under 3000lbs and about 400lbs lighter than the e46 M3. They certainly cost more but they're far from hot garbage. The Cayman/Boxster platform has access to the engine from the top, bottom, and an access panel behind the seats.

As for the e46 subframe issue, it is real. It may not have happened to you anecdotally but if you're over 100k miles and plan to track you're on borrowed time. The standard subframe bracing kits seem to hold up well to track use from what I have seen. Once they go it can be salvaged but at pretty significant cost. If you're thinking about an e46 M3 I cannot understand why you wouldn't do the subframe kit; it's very cheap.

This post had nothing to do with a Toyobaru.

Yes, it was me. Just bad luck, I guess. More reliable cars than a Cayman that I've owned: 1972 Ford F100. 2005 E55 AMG. 2004 M3. 2004 Cavalier. 1968 Mercury Monterey.

1988 Cavalier.

A Dodge.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Did you see the last two entries? I didn't mention the '88 CRX because, duh, Honda.

Fake edit: also a 1998 Mercury Sable with THAT transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Larrymer posted:

Where do you live that this happens? I've never heard of this.

The main pipeline servicing the southeast US ruptured last week, spilling somewhere north of 350,000 gallons. It's still not operational.

• Locked thread