Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Does Subaru offer the same 25k/2 year scheduled maintenance as Toyota when it comes to the BRZ/FRS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

My think was that I wanted something that looks nice, and is fun drive but I don't have a need for a 300HP STI or want to spend that kind of money.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I think you can make a decent argument that the car could use some additional torque but when you consider the engineers had balance cost, performance, mpg and emissions the car is really impressive.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

After reading 30 pages more than I wanted to on transmission fluids, I was wondering what other goons have done with regards to having problems shifting between 1st and 2nd. My BRZ has about 2k miles on it.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I have a 2013, I haven't actually looked at the manufacturing date on it. Shifting into second when the car hasn't had 5 to 10 minutes to warm up can be pretty terrible. Being notchy is one thing but sometimes this goes significantly past notchy and makes it difficult to actually move the shifter into 2nd. I guess I need to make a schedule a service visit with the dealer?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

subx posted:

I read about it from the early manufacturing runs, but didn't hear of it much from 2013+. If he only has 2K I'm assuming it is a 2014 MY, or at least a really late-build 2013. Was it still an issue that far on?

My car actually has a manufacturing date of 12/12. Part of the reason I got a really good deal on it.

Saga posted:

I am probably just being BRZ-ignorant here, but this sounds like what the EJ20 will do with the wrong choice of transmission oil - and what my EJ20 in particular did when I changed the gear oil before reading up first.

Have people tried using the aftermarket "known-good" solutions for the old Impreza/Legacy?

Yes, numerous people have suggested changing to a different oil, Redline MT-90 seems to be the most popular recommendation. Now that is warmer I don't have the problem, I might ask the dealer to swap the oil when I go in for my scheduled maintenance.

This is car is so much fun to drive

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Also, do you routinely get compliments by random dudes on your car choice? I've had a number of other cars(WRX, Wrangler, Cherokee, Camry) but I've never gotten so many random dudes saying 'hey man I like your car'.

"Dude I saw you driving on the highway last weekend and though that is one sweet Subaru." -random guy in his 20s at the grocery store

"Is it the same as the FRS?" -random guy in his 40s while getting coffee

"I wish I could afford a car like that" - lady driving a $40k Acura MDX

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Laserface posted:

I took one of these on a two day test drive on a recent work trip interstate. I rented one to get around and generally drive in a manner the previous salesman wouldnt really let me. I got an auto which was unfortunate, but not disappointing to drive.

after driving one again I can say they are definitely a fun car to drive, but not getting me out of my old rear end 240SX any time soon. its too similar in power and handling to bother spending 30K on. If I was to spend money on a new car it'd need 4 doors and more power, so likely a WRX. if they put a turbo on, or larger displacement with an interesting torque curve, I could be swayed.

bad Things I noticed:
- the brakes feel lovely. maybe its due to the automatic, but the pedal started firm and gradually got softer the more you stepped on it. Maybe I am just too used to engine braking.

- the steering is heavy as gently caress. I run Kumho KU31 245/40/17 on 9" wheels and my steering wasnt this heavy. It was a chore to steer it around, especially on the windy roads that I purposefully went to thrash it on (which it did well)

- the in-dash GPS/handsfree/media thing is loving terrible. touchscreens dont belong in cars.

- Confusing beeping noises when leaving the keyfob in the car/push to start just seems like a total wank. Something about turning a key is cool again after dealing with that.

- torque curve is lovely, though I am coming from a T28 SR20DET so what do I know. at least mine has some kind of character to it.

- tire chirps when coming out of driveways at even slightly sharp angles is stupid and just makes you look like you're driving like an rear end in a top hat with none of the perks of driving like an rear end in a top hat.

- cup holders in THE WORST spot in the centre console. Too far back to be reachable or too far forward to leave room for access to the 12v/storage area.

You don't have a spend 30k to get into a BRZ(unless you want to Blue), most people seem to spend 24k-27k depending on what options they want.

The in-dash media is pretty annoying with the resistive touch screen. The whole centre console leaves things to be desired, cup holders included.

Torque curve is kinda lovely but it doesn't every often take away from my enjoyment of the car.

Having tires that let you break the rear end loose are pretty fun but when it comes time to replace them I am definitely getting something with more grip.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Around here, the BRZ is going for invoice all day long which means you can pick up a Premium model with no options for $25.3 with very little negotiating (assuming you can find one.)

I'm still just utterly enamored with the car. I've only had my WRX out once since I picked up the BRZ. The WRX just feels like such a clumsy instrument now.

This is what I did, I basically walked into the dealer and paid below invoice on a 2013 MT Premium with 400 miles on it the midwest.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Laserface posted:

its totally fun to drive, but it would be more fun with more power.

not even a lot more, like, 30-50HP more power.

Aftermarket headers and pipes with a tune seems to be a cost effective way to get an extra 20-30 hp.

Devyl posted:

Ya know, for what it is, I'm sure driving the car is a blast. I never recall anyone from Subaru or Scion saying this car was ever going to be a contender in the recent horsepower wars. It is what it is; an entry-level "sports car" for the younger generation.

What I want to know is... do you think this car will ever get the long awaited STI/turbo treatment?

As much as I would like to see it, I don't see it happening. First you would have to get both Toyota and Subaru to think it is a good idea, just getting Subaru to make the twins was a nightmare. When you give it the STI/Turbo Treatment you start around 30-32k USD for base MSRP. That extra ~5k opens them up to a lot more competition the STI, EVO, and 370z all come to mind, along with the V8 versions of american muscle cars.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Coredump posted:

I don't understand where you get the car has to jump up that much in price.
The jump from Miata to the Mazdaspeed Miata was a $827 36hp jump. Total price - $26,020 Link
From Solstice to Solstice GXP? $2710 for 83hp jump. Total price - $25,995 Link

I don't see why Subaru/Toyota has to charge so much to do the same thing, especially with an engine that is already direct injected, and turbocharged in other Subaru models already. Also, keep in mind when Mazda did the Mazdaspeed Miata, you got a 6 speed transmission in addition to the turbo.

Well he mentioned the STI treatment and the price bump from a WRX limited to a STI limited is $8k. The BRZ has Toyota's port injection system so isn't really the same as the other turbocharged Subaru models.

D-4S Technology Explained https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc8aUxBZlsU

Getting 200hp out of a 2L engine is pretty insane.

Solkanar512 posted:

So after a year I still love the car, think the power is fine but plan on modding it anyway in a few years because why not. Also, I bought the automatic.

Have I pissed everyone off yet, or did I miss someone?

Seriously, I never thought driving would be fun until I got into this car. I still get a poo poo eating grin on my face from it.

If you make sure you piss everyone off, don't forget to make some positive comment about the stock tires and rims.

Yep the poo poo eating grin is amazing but you bought an automatic so all your opinions don't really count :)

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

$1000 gets you a four good winter tires and cheap second set of wheels to mount them on. Blizzaks are pretty popular.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I only use the Nav unit in my BRZ on trips longer that would suck my phone battery dry even when it's charging. It gets me close enough, I just don't trust for specific street address(I got burned once by this at 2am). Central PA and its mountains do terrible things to my phone when the gps is turned on. That said the headunit is pretty bad, and I have been looking at replacing it but I don't want to spend $500 for a good android head unit. I was able to get a Premium BRZ with a few addons cheaper than a stock FRS. Pure Pricing is stupid.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Trying to decide on winter wheels for my SWP BRZ is hard. I am kinda thinking about a set of 16" Enkei Performance RSF5 with Blizzak WS80.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

GutBomb posted:

I just have 16 inch steelies for mine. 205s too instead of 215s. I'm looking for a set of obnoxious hubcaps for the steelies though.

Steelies + hub caps seem to come out to about $70 a wheel. I can get a cheap alloy wheel for $100. I kinda want to buy a $100-$130 at this point. Are you running 16x6.5 or 16x7?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

evilskillit posted:

Simple answer, steelies without hubcaps. One thing I've noticed when running spoked alloy rims with winter tires is that if the snow becomes packed in your wheels because of drifting or a plow forcing it in or something, your car will shake unbearably till you get a stick or something and scrape it out. That can't really happen with something that's mostly closed like a steel wheel. I traded someone some steel winter wheels for alloy spoked winter wheels, I regret that.

I never really thought about that. If I had big balls I would go rally wheel time with White Sparco Tera.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I ended up order a set of 16" blizzaks and putting them on a cheap set of alloy wheels. MSW Type 85 were less than $100 each on tire rack.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

The header + tuner tablet for $1000 is really tempting if the wait wasn't forever.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I lost a hub cap in the first week of owning hub caps.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 30, 2014

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

GutBomb posted:

I run winter tires on steelies with obnoxious hubcaps. I think he's doing the same thing.

Yep winter tires and steelies!

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

The telescoping steering wheel helps a lot, I don't think I can go back to car without one now.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Well after some nasty ice this morning I am very happy with my Blizzaks on 16" steelies. They aren't very impressive when it's wet and 45 out but when its 17 and icy they are amazing.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

When comes to spending tax return money on stupid car poo poo I am really thinking about the open flash tablet and possibly header. Is the tablet useless on other cars?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Linux Nazi posted:

I believe the tablet is paired, so at least it's only good for the car it's paired to currently.

I have a full JDL exhaust from the engine to the catback, and then a magnaflow catback. I also just got my Grimmspeed intake, and I'm needing to look at tuning options. I keep looking towards the OFT, but damnit if it doesn't look kinda cheaply put together (at least compared to the Cobb v3 on my STi). Also I'm not sure if there are decent OTS Stage 2 tunes.

I may just go get it protuned, but my options in Phoenix seem to be between a guy on the local forums with a good rep, or a local outfit named Goodspeed, which seems like an okay outfit I guess.

The appealing part for me I could use the stock tune, add some mods then tune again.

edit: I got rear ended, new bumper time. Would I be crazy to try and look at aftermarket options if the insurance will cut me a check.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 30, 2015

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

It's been awhile since I've looked in this thread. Have they fixed the fuel pump chirping? I'm taking my car in for service Saturday and I noted that on the request, so I'm wondering if it's something I should even hope will get fixed. (I also have the tail light condensation, which they will definitely have to fix.)

The fixed my tail light condensations with no questions asked. I don't believe they have a real fix for chirping yet.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I got lucky on mine, after a listening few youtube videos I think it would drive me insane.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

No haggle poo poo only applies to the current model year, so you can haggle the poo poo out of 2014s now.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

On another note I order a ODB2 connector and ProClip Mount to setup Torque on my tablet. I am also getting a strong urge to plasti dip both sets of wheels. I am kinda thinking plasti dip the steelies something fun like blue or red then maybe black the stock wheels.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Has anyone here change the fluid in transmission and rear differential? I have read lots of post on ft86club about it improving shifting quality. My car has 10k miles on it, I don't know why but I have this idea in my head that flushing the transmission fluid is hard on a car.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

To plasti dip or not to plasti dip that is the question

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I paid invoice for a my Premium 2013, and I could I have pushed harder and gotten it below invoice I think. The better the weather gets the more this car will sell, it is really hard to move a rwd coupe off the lot in January. Unless you are in a major city, I would expect to pay something within a couple hundred dollars for invoice.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

Are you financing? I've never bought a new car and would like to hear more about the process and stuff. Never been in debt so not sure if I could get one even if I wanted to

Here is the short version: after you and your sales rep have agreed on a price and options, you go talk to the financing dept. The financing dept may or may not actually work for the dealer, they might be contracted out. They are going to trying and sell you a few products which may include prepaying for standard maintenance to get a discounted rate. This his a interesting choice because that total price is then added to your total loan. Second they are going to show you various extend warranty options which I think are dumb because you buying a new car from two of the best manufacturers in the world, why do I need a warranty from some third party bank. Then the financing dept is going to take down your basic information and run a credit report. Lots of them will give you a copy as a sign of good faith, but run it yourself on creditkarma or some other free site. Then based on your information they will pull up different rates for different terms offered by various banks.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

Two more questions, why would a dealer want to sell a car "at cost?" Doesn't that mean zero profit for them? Second, does Scion still do sticker-price is the final price or is/was that mostly a marketing gimmick?

Rebates and various awards from manufactures. Dealer might get x dollars back for selling a specific car, or they get get y dollars back for selling 20 cars in the month. The dealer also doesn't want old cars sitting on there lot, they are harder to sell. If a 2014 BRZ is sitting on the lot that is one less 2015 that they can sell. There are ton of business reasons the dealer would just want to get the car off the lot, but it is generally safe to assume they are going to get $500 back from the manufacturer. Dealers also make crap tons of money on maintenance and repairs.

Scion pricing is pretty dumb it is like a lovely version of the old Saturn pricing model, the advertised price posted on the dealer website is what they have to sell it for BUT this only applies to the current model year. So you can haggle the poo poo out of any 2014.

edit: you can also haggle additional options, for example the advertised price of a FRS might be 26k, and you would have to pay that to buy the car but the dealer could throw in a free spoiler and mudguards.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 10, 2015

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Crossposting from another thread, should i get a current BRZ or the new Miata?

I think it really comes down to if you would rather have a convertible 2 seater or a hardtop 2+2. I love my BRZ but I would really consider a Miata if I lived somewhere with nice weather. The BRZ is a more practical car that is actually decent daily driver. If you are only going to have one car then I think the BRZ wins hands down, but if your looking for a second fun to drive weekend car it becomes a much harder choice.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

I wonder if that's a regional thing. Here in the greater Seattle area, I am seeing tons on them on the road. My wife and my dad have commented on the same thing at separate occasions as well.

Once you get outside of the city and suburbs I imagine you can find some nice twisty fun roads in Washington? You can't exactly say the same thing for most the US.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I just checked and almost every listing for these on craigslist in my area is a rebuilt/salvage title. 200 horsepower is just too much. :v:
Also they want 20k+ for their wrecked cars.

That price is insane, I guess there are a ton of people who want it as a track only car?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

GutBomb posted:

Is there a reason it's so much cheaper than comparable cars in Australia?

Subaru imports a poo poo ton of cars to Australia relative to their other markets and target population. Shipping a mustang who's finally assembly is in Michigan to Australia seems costly, because you either putting it on a train to the west coast or using the panama canal.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

This is the only thing I seen that looks remotely plausible: http://www.carscoops.com/2015/05/facelifted-toyota-gt-86-will-reportedly.html

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

blk posted:

Roughly 10% of the twins listed on my local Craigslist cto have clean titles. Yikes.

Inexpensive sports cars and dumb kids driving up my insurance rates. I will say that the my BRZ gives me a stupid amount of confidence to take corners faster than I should.

:getoffmylawn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Mightaswell posted:

So I got my first oil change at a local Subaru/import specialist shop. They filled my BRZ with 5w40 which I only noticed after I drove home and read the receipt.

So:
1. Is this bad?
2. Should I ask that they re- fill my car with the correct oil?
3. If it's not necessarily a bad thing, am I putting myself needlessly at risk with regards to warranty claims by leaving it in there?

What do

5w40 is more protection than the stock 0w20 oil. 0w20 is thinner and will work better on cold starts in cold temps. How many miles are on your car? Is it winter where you live?

• Locked thread