Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
"Insurance"

I'm genuinely excited for this car and can't wait to give it a spin. That and the 500 Abarth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

smooth jazz posted:

Love the clock and hope they don't fuckup the steering feel.

There's no reason why they shouldn't go with a quick ratio + electric assist. Electric assist is tits.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

poo poo about tranny

Horray for not having Subaru's notoriously lovely boxes!!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cat Terrist posted:

I would also love to know how Mazda also has worked out cold fusion and FTL travel. Because that's how likely a sub 1000 kg MX-5 is these days - 2000lbs is 907 kgs for those that dont know moon units.

So either its the size of a Smart FourTwo or they have invented Unobtainium

I don't know where people have picked up on the 1780lbs figure for the next-gen Miata, but everything that I've read is aiming for less than the NA's weight of 1000kg with the new 1.4L Skyactiv turbo engine.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

There's a bunch of links to that article, but a year earlier everything was pointing to 1000kg: http://blog.caranddriver.com/report-pegs-next-generation-mx-5-miata-weight-at-2200-pounds/

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Uh, it's 660ccs, idiot. GOSH.

That said, I can't wait for the carbon fiber ND Miata. What's the curb weight on the original Elan?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Being 5'8 owns. Suck it tall people.

*drives away in a Fiat 500 L*

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nodoze posted:

I fit in a Fiat 500 and I am 6'1 !

i would never in a million years sit in the back

Can you even fit back there?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are Subaru's manuals an actual in-house design or are they really Aisins too?

I loving doubt it. Subaru transmissions are so drat sloppy.

It's good to hear that there's an Aisin box in it. Hoping it's like the S2K\Miata box. :ohdear:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cat Terrist posted:

STI Six speed wants a word with you out back

Note: Subaru transmissions that are prone to breaking and aren't made out of unobtainium.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lowclock posted:

Someone tell me why an MR2 Spyder with about 300hp would not be an awesome car. I have seen like 10 times more Ferraris in real life than I have seen those cars. I drove a friend's sequential one once, and even though it was slow as poo poo, it was very fun to drive.

e: Well, slow as poo poo compared to what I expected at the time.

Ah yes, the MR-S: Toyota's mid-engine sports car with the 140hp Corolla engine. Good thing they made the Celica their flagship sports car and put the 180hp variant into that versus their rear-wheel drive car thing.

Cat Terrist: I know that the STi transmissions hold up, but their 5-speeds are universally poo poo and possibly made out of glass.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is Honda some type of new old-Saab with their fancy V4 engines? :haw:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sports cars: Slower than any given minivan 0-60

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The engine in the Miata is the MZR...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Piano posted:

Willingness to take a 80mm hole saw to your car's radiator cowl is what separates the boys from the men :colbert:

Freehand.

Drunk.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
r

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I have a dim recollection of their being a TRD turbo kit for the 2ZZ-equppied cars (MR2 Spyder, Corolla Sportivo and such), but that was a while ago obviously, and may have been a local TRD Australia thing as I think it was sold through the outfit that did Toyota's rally team here.

MR-S Spyder didn't have a 2ZZ because Toyota's definition of a sports car was front wheel drive.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Considering that dealers are trying to offload Honda Fits with navigation for 20K USD, I highly doubt the Toyobaru will be hovering around there. $24k on the super low end at a minimum.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
^^^ /!\ Anime Alert /!\ ^^^

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Actually the coolest picture in that speedhunters article was

That's a pretty substantial trunk opening for a coupe. This car might actually be useable as an only car.

This might have more trunk space than my Mazda2. :aaa:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
17s are so expensive, ughhhhh.

Also, to put it in perspective, the Mazda2 has been selling at about 1k/month.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
TRD supercharger!~~

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Q_res posted:

Mazda required a lot of Ford's money to build cars nobody bought. Ford just didn't get much credit for it (and a lot of image issues), which is probably why they washed their hands of them.

Or because Ford decided to cash out all of their assets before 2008 would have hosed them in the rear end?

I think Mazda is suffering big time from the JPY -> USD conversion. They build solid cars and as long as they don't get side-tracked into expensive adventures (see: FD RX-7, RX-8), they'll be alright.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Toyota 0W20 is the same as the Honda and Mazda, IIRC. It's Itemitsu and the UOAs on my Mazda2 have come back great.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I wouldn't skip shift in these cars. S2000s have the same Aisin gearbox and there's been more than a few instances where owners skip shifting caused the synchros to be ground into nothingness.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Splizwarf posted:

Earlier in this thread, someone ruined like 7 pages with rants about the 'purity' of manual steering.

"What has the faster steering ratio? Yeah, I'll take that one."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CharlesM posted:

I'm sure Mazda is going to focus on being profitable first before really delving into the rotary world again.

With the yen being down and the CX series selling well, I think they're doing alright.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Takumi nooooooooooooooooo!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Apparently you didn't have all of the goodies because you didn't have the $4000 TRD Supercharger. :smugdog:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The tribal tattoo theme kind of matches the Scion logo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That's some mad tyte 4x4 stance right there.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
PenFed is also hilarious and will let you finance a 2000 Miata for 4 years at 1.5%. I told my coworker to do that. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm not holding my breath for the STi, but I'm curious if it's going to be a proper turbo or just a suspension upgrade.

Re: battery chat, be careful with smaller batteries. I know you guys aren't racing, but not being able to start your car kinda sucks when the battery only gives you two shots to get it running.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, OK.

Tell me more how a 3lb battery with a 7.5 amp hour rating has the same exact capacity as a Redtop rated at 44 amp hours. :allears:

E: that specific Shorai has 36Ah

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I wouldn't want to spin a boxer that high. I know that the oiling is a bit of a pain on horizontally opposed engines, and then you start adding in the piston speed of 8.5k+ RPMs, eh....

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It seems to phoned in.

Phone fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 20, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Do you value the recommendation of "common sense" Internet people rehashing snake oil myths from the 70s or the recommendation from Toyota and Fuji Heavy Industries engineers?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

j3rkstore posted:

Yeah that was a pretty big mistake/unfortunate series of events.

I wont be ordering a flex fuel kit... ever :v:

I thought I was going to go home early, but this thread is too good. :stare:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm not doubting the wisdom of FHI engineering (I work with their other products on a daily basis), I'm just trying to learn something here.

Definitely, I didn't mean to come off as attacking you directly. If you look around, you'll see a bunch of poo poo that resembles:

"Oh yeah, run it to full redline for 500 miles and then change the oil, my uncle is Smokey Yunick"
"Change the oil IMMEDIATELY!!! The factory fill will have METAL PARTICULATES!!! Secrets that they don't want you to know, my uncle is Smokey Yunick"
"Don't listen to what the manual says, fill up the car with ATF and go 50 miles at 37% engine load and you'll wind up with an engine that never burns a drop of oil, my uncle is Smokey Yunick"

Everybody has an opinion as to what the factory fill magically is and what's the magical number of miles until you should change the oil... or you can just follow the Factory Manual says because despite everybody's uncle being Smokey Yunick, the factory probably has that poo poo down pat.

VV -- Listen to this guy, his uncle is Smokey Yunick.

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 23, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The service manual should have a A/B schedule or something, Schedule A for "hard environments" and Schedule B for everything else. The most engine wear happens at cold start up, and if you're just cutting around town and turning on/off your car all of the time when it's cold (engine that is), you're going to have more wear.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
All of the info is in the OP. There's a guy named Tora or Torn or something that does like baby's first troll, the rest of it is "wow that sux".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Buy a second set of wheels and a set of snow tires like every other person who drives in snow. Or be a smug douchebag and point out all of the non-x BMWs, older Volvos, and pick-up trucks that somehow manage to scoot around town with no issue.

• Locked thread