Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass
I'm very interested in starting a blog and I'm sure I will post a whole bunch of questions further down the road but for now I'm just researching SEO.
When using the Google Keyword Tool and viewing the results, what does competition imply? The key words and phrases I'm thinking about using are marked as "Low" and "Medium", this is good I presume, but what does it actually mean? Is it a sign of how difficult it would be to get to the top spot for the search terms you want to target?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cartooncart
Oct 21, 2011
I'm still new to this stuff but I tend to ignore the competition row. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with SEO but all about adwords competition. If the competition is low, then not many people are bidding on those specific words.

On another note, I think I made the classic new blogger mistake. BestCartoonsEver was way to broad but it has been a great source of blog ideas. I just begun http://www.brucebanner.net and going to make an Incredible Hulk blog. Hopefully, it's much more targeted so I can start selling some affiliate products.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

beadgc posted:

I'm very interested in starting a blog and I'm sure I will post a whole bunch of questions further down the road but for now I'm just researching SEO.
When using the Google Keyword Tool and viewing the results, what does competition imply? The key words and phrases I'm thinking about using are marked as "Low" and "Medium", this is good I presume, but what does it actually mean? Is it a sign of how difficult it would be to get to the top spot for the search terms you want to target?
I aim for high searches, low competition and a high rate per click.

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007
If you use a theme like Heatmap, making a few modifications might be helpful. Just read this article that suggests some recommended modifications for 100k blueprint users, and it seems like any ad optimized theme could suffer from similar issues. http://www.potpiegirl.com/2011/08/100k-blueprint-warning-read-this/

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

rocinante posted:

If you use a theme like Heatmap, making a few modifications might be helpful. Just read this article that suggests some recommended modifications for 100k blueprint users, and it seems like any ad optimized theme could suffer from similar issues. http://www.potpiegirl.com/2011/08/100k-blueprint-warning-read-this/

I removed my footer from Heatmap and I went up a full page on Google. I'm not sure if that's a coincidence or not but it happened literally 24 hours after I did it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm still wondering why the thread wasn't titled "I got 99 visits but a click ain't one"

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

FCKGW posted:

I'm still wondering why the thread wasn't titled "I got 99 visits but a click ain't one"

Split testing didn't support it.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
So I had some issue with my robots.txt and Bing/Yahoo. I got that fixed and now my rank on Google dropped dramatically. I had a page that had finally crept to a ranking of 10/11, bouncing between the first and second page and now it's not even ranked at all! I had to resubmit my sitemap and everything in Webmaster tools in order to get my issue fixed, could that be it? How depressing!

Edit: It's like Google is indexing it for the first time. There is no preview available and no meta information. It's literally just the site name "Top Ten Smartest Dogs" and under it shows a link to the page. Yesterday it was "Top Ten Smartest Dogs," meta text, then a link, and it had a preview picture. Has this happened to anyone else?

Moniker fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 21, 2011

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

So I'm starting up a blog, again. Maybe two, in fact, one will just be personal, mostly. The primary one will be on automated trading, but I'm still trying to find a good keyword for that. Thanks for this thread, it's been really informative, and hopefully when I'm more set up I'll be able to share mine.

Gadarene
Jan 16, 2009

Moniker posted:

I removed my footer from Heatmap

I'm considering buying the Heatmap theme, was this difficult to do? Is there anything in their ToS saying the link has to remain?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

No, and it is easy to take out for beginners, as it is in the options and not the php.

Dr_Fappo
Nov 8, 2009
Hey there people,

This is a great guide, and it helped me start up my own blog. It's mostly for the fun and experience on it. It's a blog I am building so I can learn how to actually blog.

I have dedicated it to my favourite game 'Heroes of Newerth'.

http://www.honforeverybody.com

Would you be so kind as to put it on your list?

Also, check it out if you are ever so slightly interested in the game.

cheers

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Gadarene posted:

I'm considering buying the Heatmap theme, was this difficult to do? Is there anything in their ToS saying the link has to remain?

Literally every option is customizable in the options. It's the best.

cartooncart
Oct 21, 2011
Anyone else note a drastic change in traffic during the holidays? I've dropped down 50%!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

cartooncart posted:

Anyone else note a drastic change in traffic during the holidays? I've dropped down 50%!

Like, over Christmas? Most people aren't on their computers when visiting friends and family.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I'm ranking 4 and 5 for my targeted keyword on my dog site. :confused: Lets see if this continues/brings me some traffic!

Edit: Ever since this happened I've noticed weird stuff in my stats. Should I change my robots.txt to block out unwanted bots?

My unique visits per day:

My robot information:

Is there something funky going on or is this normal? I highly doubt that I had 2200 visitors overnight?

Moniker fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 27, 2011

Dog Blogs Man
Apr 16, 2007

how are you gentlemen i am a god amongst goons

cartooncart posted:

Yep I've had basically zero traffic and zero clicks, normally I earn a good $5 each day..

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass
Is there anything stopping me from setting up a site with some affiliate links, a store or similiar for an american company like Amazon, even though I live in Sweden? Does it matter where the site is hosted or where I registered the domain?

Is there a suitable guide anywhere for somebody who has never bought a domain, paid for hosting or used wordpress before? How do I set it all up? I'm not completely lost when it comes to computers but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to begin here, but I'm really anxious to get going with my first blog.

I'm eventually looking at starting a second blog, what type of hosting should I look into if I want to maintain two blogs sometime in the not to distant future?

Edit: Added a few questions

beadgc fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 27, 2011

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

beadgc posted:

Is there anything stopping me from setting up a site with some affiliate links, a store or similiar for an american company like Amazon, even though I live in Sweden? Does it matter where the site is hosted or where I registered the domain?

Is there a suitable guide anywhere for somebody who has never bought a domain, paid for hosting or used wordpress before? How do I set it all up? I'm not completely lost when it comes to computers but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to begin here, but I'm really anxious to get going with my first blog.

I'm eventually looking at starting a second blog, what type of hosting should I look into if I want to maintain two blogs sometime in the not to distant future?

Edit: Added a few questions
This is all in the OP, really.

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass

Moniker posted:

This is all in the OP, really.

Yeah, maybe I'm overthinking some things. I guess I'll just jump in and roll with the punches.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

beadgc posted:

Yeah, maybe I'm overthinking some things. I guess I'll just jump in and roll with the punches.

This is honestly the best way to do it. You will get to a point where you are doing too much research and never actually pull the trigger in anything. This is why people make so much money selling WSOs on the Warrior forum. You can read all you want but you will never learn how whatever happens until you try it yourself then see and learn from the results.

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.

Scotsman posted:

It's best to jump in with something you want to do, even if it fails. At least you are motivated to work on it and learn while you are working on it - learning being the key thing.

You need to start working on SEO(especially changing your URLs to Search Engine Friendly URLs). Submit your site to Google/Bing Webmaster if you haven't already, install Google XML sitemap plugin.

Some Basic SEO Guidelines which will help you with the URLs, some basic Wordpress Guidelines and you might want to read the Full Guide.

(Links are to my site BTW, but it's basically a simple and easy step by step guide to take anyone from "Hey I want to be an affiliate marketer" to "holy crap I'm an affiliate marketer"). Site is geared towards gambling affiliates but 90% of the topics will apply to everyone.

Only discovered this thread today - good thread guys. I've been doing internet marketing since 1997(and for a living since 2004) so I'll be sure to chime in and help.

Just quoting in case anyone missed this, but his site has a TON of a really good info for anyone wanting to get started with blogging/affiliate marketing.

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass

Bodhi Tea posted:

Just quoting in case anyone missed this, but his site has a TON of a really good info for anyone wanting to get started with blogging/affiliate marketing.

This should be in the OP, can't believe I missed it :I

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Is there anything against me starting a lot of blogs in the same type of niche? For example, I have my site Top Ten Smartest Dogs, what's to stop me from starting 10 or 20 different blogs that have to do with dog training, dog food, dog breeds, dog toys, etc... then linking them all to one another? Do people do this?

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.

Moniker posted:

Is there anything against me starting a lot of blogs in the same type of niche? For example, I have my site Top Ten Smartest Dogs, what's to stop me from starting 10 or 20 different blogs that have to do with dog training, dog food, dog breeds, dog toys, etc... then linking them all to one another? Do people do this?

People do this, yes.

The only problem that I'm aware of is if you interlink them in an obvious way, Google might penalize you.

If you manage to get a few of your blogs on the first page for the keyword, you'll be set.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Bodhi Tea posted:

People do this, yes.

The only problem that I'm aware of is if you interlink them in an obvious way, Google might penalize you.

If you manage to get a few of your blogs on the first page for the keyword, you'll be set.

Hmm. That's something to think about doing for sure. I'm ranking two different pages on the first page for 1 keyword and I'm working on driving the others up as well. Traffic Travis ftw! What do you think an "Obvious way" would be?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So I'm looking at a keyword for strategy for a certain video game, and it gets around 4,000 global searches a month (on EXACT settings), and low competition.

google insights for search lists this keyword phrase as a breakout category, and I think the market is ripe

Is this a good starting point for my niche blog?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Don't know. PM the keyword to me and I'll tell you! Seriously though, what does the competition look like on the first page of Google? Are they all high PR sites that will be hard to fight for rankings?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

So I think I completely mixed up finding a keyword for a blog I've just started. Is the estimated daily cost/clicks per day on Google's traffic estimator at all a useful metric?

I just found a keyword that has ~7000 monthly searches with a CPC of $7 for an ad position of 1.15, yet the clicks per day is 0.38, which seems shockingly low.

The first page of search results for the keyword has a mix of PR4 and PR1/0 sites, and I think I can outdo them on quality. Granted, I have a feeling it's a bit of a spammy topic. Should I even look into this further?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
So I was looking at this thread here in SA mart about hosting. Is there any reason to buy more than the cheapest, most basic plan if I want to just have a simple blog?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I'd start with the cheapest plan, and then upgrade when you need more bandwidth or space.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Doghouse posted:

So I was looking at this thread here in SA mart about hosting. Is there any reason to buy more than the cheapest, most basic plan if I want to just have a simple blog?

I would go with the cheapest that allows add on domains do you can run multiple blogs from the same hosting until one takes off.

The Stu
Dec 27, 2003
The Stu abides
I use the cheapest plan from Lithium and I've never had any problems.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Bodhi Tea posted:

A good resource though I disagree that metatags should be used at all, there's growing evidence that the two major engines are using them as spam indicators in some situations. Growing opinion is that they should just be ignored and are a waste of time, possibly even harmful. Plugin guide is also somewhat out of date.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
So a long time ago I was banned from adsense (My account, not site.) and I deserved it. I was clicking ads like a dummy. I was 15 though. I recently signed up under my girlfriend's name, her parent's address, using a proxy, and a different computer. I hope this is good enough for Google. I guess it's my only shot, so what does it matter anyway? I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of money because Chitika and Adbrite pay HORRIBLY.

cartooncart
Oct 21, 2011
What's Traffic Travis like? I'm pretty sold on getting the free version so far.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

mcsuede posted:

A good resource though I disagree that metatags should be used at all, there's growing evidence that the two major engines are using them as spam indicators in some situations. Growing opinion is that they should just be ignored and are a waste of time, possibly even harmful. Plugin guide is also somewhat out of date.

Friend of mine builds sites for a living w/a major web market firm. When I asked him about metatags being useful or not for SEO, he linked me to

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/opengraph/

and told me yes, still very useful.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

cartooncart posted:

What's Traffic Travis like? I'm pretty sold on getting the free version so far.

Its cool. I think the full version is available for free online (not warez, it's directly from Traffic Travis)

Dog Blogs Man
Apr 16, 2007

how are you gentlemen i am a god amongst goons
Ack, well all my micro-niche sites have completely lost their google rankings. Thanks google :/

$2-$5 per day, now nothing.

Anyone else get owned?

On the upside my local directory site has gone to number 2 even though I haven't touched it in about 6 months. Better do something with that I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Would anyone be willing to look at http://toptensmartestdogs.com and see if they see any type of ad placement that violates the TOS for Adsense? I think I only have three per page, if that, but are affiliate links added into that mix? Or are those not included?

• Locked thread