Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
CPM advertising wasn't even included in your list of advertising? Do you not think that there is money to be made there or do you just not have the experience with it to write about it?

Actually you know what, I edited this down to make it a little bit less incendiary. But you guys have to explain this to me, your business models and mine seem to differ enormously. It seems like the majority of the websites discussed in this thread generate very little of their own original content, while it might be a huge quantity of content the posts might be very short, otherwise the sites here seem to be aggregators. Some people in this thread even seem like they are building websites that just scrape other websites, anything they can do to get ranked on google. The thought of running 5 or 10 really mediocre websites doesn't make any sense to me. Sure you may feel like you are diversifying, and you can capture google users who are interested in shopping for a niche, but really whats to stop google from changing how they rank content light websites tomorrow and killing all of your blogs in an instant? And for that matter, whatever happened to the old OP's huge list of sites?

I just don't get it, you are essentially turning yourselves into an arm of Google by playing a game of converting search traffic into clickthrough. Does anyone who makes a living off of affiliate marketing have a legitimate readership base, why would you click on the same amazon link the second time you visited the site?

I'll be honest, my site is 65% stumbleupon, so I guess my model is: make quality content, pray it gets stumbled, and collect a few pennies every time someone loads my page, (I have CPM Advertising). That scares the poo poo out of me and I don't know if it makes me any more legitimate than the models discussed here. But I have ~1,000 direct visitors a day, and about 5,000 absolute unique weekly direct visitors.

I guess my question to you is, are either of our models sustainable? Yours seems easily rocked by Google, mine Stumbleupon.

Bobx66 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

The Stu posted:

I think we must be working with two different definitions of content aggregator, because I looked through the entire list of sites and could not find one. As far as I know, content aggregators are sites that take content directly from other sites.

Regarding readership, about 80% of my visitors are first time visits, so 20% is returning visitors. I have no idea how well that compares, but I doubt it's a terrible number.

As for monetization strategies, I would be interested to hear some more concrete numbers on how much you make with CPM. I have another website other than the one in the OP that is more of a pure review / affiliate site. With ~100 uniques per day I make about ~$10, so with your 1000 visitors I could be making ~$100 a day from that one site. Versus your pennies per visit (say 3 cents per visit?) is .03 x 1000 (or however many page views you get) = $30 per day. I suppose it's entirely possible that you are getting 3 or 4 page views per visitor if your content is really good, which would bump that up to $90-$120.

With three above the fold ads I make $6 Net Effective CPM including my network's cut and unfulfilled inventory. Remnant advertising adds another ~$0.80 to that. According to Analytics I get 1.66 page views per visitor. Additionally we do sponsored content but I think we are going to start moving away from that.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Crunch Bucket posted:

All this talk of affiliate links has inspired me to add a widget to the bottom of my upcoming crafting posts on Brownie Bites.

I'm thinking about grouping together supplies needed to complete the project so that readers can get what they need all at once. I'm planning on having several posts go live next week using the widgets so I'll post about my results once I have some numbers!

Also, I know this is a hard question to answer, but does anyone know how long it takes Google to spider a site? My Pixel Tips blog has only been live for about 12 days, but Yahoo seems to have already picked it up. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have anything that was making Google shy away from including it in the index. :ohdear:

I think that text links in your copy actually tend to get more clicks. Maybe try both? I am certainly no expert on affiliate links though.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
So I realize that I have almost totally ignored SEO up until this date, choosing to focus on referral traffic, social and content development alone. I recently went through and added structured data to all 600 of my back posts (recipes) and the results have been pretty dramatic. I have essentially tripled my search traffic and the growth hasn’t leveled off yet. Historically 70-75% of my traffic has been referral based but that has been declining recently and I would like to start filling the gap with some active SEO management.

Outside of meta tags I really don’t know understand what is going on. And honestly even within the meta tag sphere I am pretty clueless. I used to subscribe to ScribeSEO when it was $30 and I saw a demonstrable uptick in my search traffic. It also trained me to think about my posts a little differently, I especially enjoyed the keyword suggestions and the SEO score. Since unsubscribing I feel like I have lost a lot of my ability and I need something to fill the gap, specifically with keyword analysis and seo review.

But outside of that I don’t have a strategy and I don’t know where to begin, I am sitting on a huge amount of content that I could optimize but I feel like that is really only working one angle. I don’t know anything about backlinks or other factors that really affect SEO. All I know is that I am looking at this graph and I want more:

So I guess I am looking for a few things. First and foremost I would like your opinion on wordpress integrated SEO tools that focus on keyword suggestion and post optimization. Then I would like to know what I should read up on next, I would love to read through a few good primers. Finally I was hoping I could get your input on what strategies seem to be effective and what tools you have found useful, paid or otherwise.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
IS there a way to manage remnant inventory through one of the ad servers? Recently I have been using my pass-through codes from my remnant provider on my primary provider's ad server. However it has slowed my site down to the point where I want to get rid of them. Is it possible for an ad manager to identify when an ad isnt being served from 1 network and fall back to another network?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
How do I grow my Facebook follow-ship? My total monthly unique visitors are about 20x higher than my facebook fan count. Granted most of my traffic comes from referrals but my direct uniques are still completely out of whack with FB. I have slowly and 100% naturally grown my fanbase and I try to keep a steady stream of reposts and outside content flowing through my facebook feed in order to appease my fans but I am still disappointed with the numbers and I want to throw some money at it.

I have no interest in buying fans although, it seems like many of my competitors who have less site traffic are doing just that, unless I'm missing something like a snowball effect @ > 10,000 fans. I am trying to build recurring referral traffic and add credibility to my brand name which is beginning to extend outside of the blog.

Are there any case studies on using their internal advertising system? What other options are there? I have been considering give-aways as an easy way to generate new fans, is there anywhere I can read about a similar strategy?

Where do I start?

Bobx66 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Does anyone have any experience serving their own ads? I want to take control of my remnant inventory and start serving custom made ads with amazon affiliate links and or house ads leading people to underutilized areas of my site.

• Locked thread