Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Theme as in Wordpress? If so I can maybe pitch in as a newb myself. I started with a premium theme. I had heard that free themes aren't necessarily bad, and premium themes can be total poo poo, so you really have to be careful. From what you describe you can easily do all that with just about any theme.

Some themes are laid out to maximize CTR, like Clickbank and CTR theme. Some themes are clean and minimal, but have a high learning curve like Canvas or HTML 5 Boilerplate. In the end I just found a theme I liked and as I got better at PHP and HTML I just fixed the problems with it and stripped all the useless features out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Can only speak for wordpress but it should be something like <?php the_excerpt ?> instead of <?php the_post ?>

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Wordpress is incredibly customizable. There is nothing you can't do re: SEO with Wordpress. It can be annoying to implement some modifications of the core files with filters, but anything else is cake.

Vim 4 life btw!

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

There kind of is, with the bbpress plugin. It's a bitch to struggle with to get it how you want it though, at least it was for me.

I'd make a subdomain for the forum with a totally different wordpress install. If you set up a WPMU install, you can have global users log into both the main site and forum with the same login.

You can also set up a subdomain for your forum and use plain old vbulletin.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

diremonk posted:

Have a quick question about an issue I'm having on one of my sites. I using the Amazon Product in a Post plugin which was recommended earlier. But the text that it generates under the amazon image is compressed, like so.

The same thing effects a widget in the sidebar as well. I'm thinking I'll have to edit something but I'm not sure where to start.

Try Firebug browser plugin and see where that particular widget is pulling its css from.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

wordpress.com posted:

If you are moving to a self-hosted blog using the WordPress.org software, you first need to obtain appropriate web hosting and have your WordPress.org blog/site up and running before transferring your content.

WordPress.org Hosting

Many of the suitable hosts on our WordPress web hosting list offer a one-click, automatic installation of the software. If you are using a host that does not offer automatic installation of WordPress, you can review the official installation guide.

The content transfer process is similar to that described above (between WordPress.com blogs):

In the old blog, go to Tools → Export and download the XML (WXR) file to your computer.
In the new blog, go to Tools → Import → WordPress and upload the file you downloaded in step 1. Make sure that you choose the option to Download & import file attachments. This option will be available after you upload the file.

Note that the above assumes that you are using the latest version of the WordPress software. If you are having troubles getting your WordPress.org installation up and running, please refer to the appropriate forums.

If you wish to transfer the domain registered through WordPress.com, please review this document. Note that you can only transfer a domain after 60 days from its initial registration. If it has not yet been 60 days, you can still update your nameservers and point them to your new host.

Videos uploaded to WordPress.com cannot be moved through the import process. However, you can continue to use the existing videos through VideoPress plugin, which provides an easy way to manage and embed videos hosted on the WordPress.com service.

Don't go crazy with hosting cost. Shared hosting works fine and you can always switch later if you get a lot of traffic.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

cartooncart posted:

If anyone is interested, I can talk about how to get more advertising offers & dealing with people like me or just link building/buying in general?

Totally interested!

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

quote:

Is it a subject you are really passionate about? Is it a subject you feel you are knowledgeable about?

It has got to be this. Nothing worse than getting to a site that slapped up generic poo poo just to get SEO rank. Sort of like Google ranked sites were a couple years ago. Those sites do not stay ranked long. It's got to be something you're almost spergy about or someone else will beat you to it. You don't need to be an expert but you need to be willing to learn a lot.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I've found free Wordpress themes are either bad or not very user friendly. I like HTML5 boilerplate themes and stuff like that, which are usually free. You can strip the bad out of any theme with enough work though so if you like a look don't let it stop you from using the theme. You just gotta work it harder.

The best way to get photos is to pay for them. You can probably get away with Googled images until you actually get enough traffic to make money attract attention to that sort of thing.

Just slap some Google Adsense ads on there. You can do 3 per page and it's real simple until you get a real strategy going.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Name.com works fine for me. I'm pretty low maintenance but it's real easy to update the name servers & set billing to autorenew. They only email you when your card gets declined really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

KetTarma posted:

Anyone know how to fix this?

Using Wordpress, BLoggit theme, Vanilla forums set up for commenting. Everything works but the space allotted for the comments box is just a little too small.

Grab firebug or I think its even built into browsers now. Try ctrl-shift-I and highlight the comment box. Should give you an indication on what to edit. Sometimes it can be a little trickier.

• Locked thread