Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

That subject is covered really well in the OP.

No if you are hosted by Wordpress you can not run ads. Don't by a domain through them either, better off doing it when you register your hosting.

It's insanely easy to get up and running hosting your own WP blog as most hosting services have Fantastico that installs it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

You can make your blog private, and then switch it to public whenever you feel like it. Or just don't install the SEO or submit to the search engines until you feel its ready.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Are there any plugins or modifications I should make to my Wordpress posts to make them not look like this in Facebook? I'm prefer to have my featured image and a quick description show up like most things I like, but my page ends up looking like poo poo in FB.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Thanks for the twitterfeed suggestion but it must be something I need to set up in Wordpress.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

invision posted:

I made a site less than 20 hours ago, spent about 10 minutes of work not including writing the copy, woke up this morning and it's number 9 on google for it's keyword. poo poo is scary.

Don't get too excited Google will raise you up for a few weeks then drop your ranking, keep hitting your keywords during that time and you will build back up.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

They aren't asking you to run a script or plugin, seems weird but I guess ok.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Do you guys have any suggestions for changing the name of your blog to minimize losing readers, etc?

I have the problem that my blog outgrew its name. Started as a place for Masters of the Universe stuff and ended up branching into all action figures. Going to trade shows and making professional contacts in the last year has been good but odd causes I sound like a he-man fan site instead of a toy blog. So this is why i need to transition.

Any advice?

I was thinking of what I could do, I could leave the old site up and update on occasion but there are checklists and event coverage I probably would want to move over to the new site.

Or would it be better to just move everything to the new domain, build the setup and all and just have the old url forward to the new place?

I don't know what the best course of action is.

Caesarian Sectarian fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 17, 2013

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Is it best to do a fresh Wordpress install or just update the old site with the new info?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

So I should put a privacy policy page if I have affiliate links? Good to know.

I just throw them up like no one's business.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm using prettylink now to mask my affiliat links, do I want to use 307 (Temporary) or 301 (Permanent) redirection?

I'm not sure what the advantage of either is? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Usually when I get these they are paying between $125 - $300 for the year along with providing an article, I usually scrap the article they give me and just throw their link into one of mine.

As long as they aren't accessing your site I don't see why not though.

• Locked thread