Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just come out of Hawksmoor Seven Dials after dinner with two American friends. One friend and I shared a 900g porterhouse between us, and the other guy had the ribeye. Absolutely hands down the best steak I've ever had. We all had mac & cheese sides, and I had the beef dripping chips too, because I am a fat bastard. All of it was amazing and delicious. I ended up having at least 2/3rds of the porterhouse, and one and a half portions of the mac & cheese. I am so very full in the best way.

My one regret is having no room for dessert. Some of them sounded delicious, especially the sticky toffee pudding with clotted cream! Next time, Hawksmoor, next time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
If we're talking about "not exactly London", The Oak in Newcastle is amazing. Service was lovely and the prices were remarkable. Big portions too, couldn't finish the potato skins starter.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Just out of curiosity, has anyone eaten at Incanto in NW London? Thoughts?

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
How did I only just find this thread? I live in Camden and am always looking for good eats.

Two great places I would recommend that I did not see mentioned:

Machiavelli near Covent Garden. They have an ever changing menu and the food is always excellent.

The Whistling Shop on Worship Street. Another very cool speakeasy that does a lot of in-house distilling and creation of flavors.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

angor posted:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone eaten at Incanto in NW London? Thoughts?

That's just around the corner from me, and I've never eaten there, but friends have and they've said it's pretty middling. The food is fine, but doesn't live up to the pretentiousness of the place. It really thinks its a hell of a lot better than it is.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

YourCreation posted:

How did I only just find this thread? I live in Camden and am always looking for good eats.

The Whistling Shop on Worship Street. Another very cool speakeasy that does a lot of in-house distilling and creation of flavors.

Seconding this, Whistling shop is a hoot, and does some truly awesome cocktails.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
They're opening a pizza east in Kentish Town, ha ha! :woop: Up and coming area or what. Conveniently, I work a 5 minute walk from where it will be (opposite the Vine pub where the Grand Union used to be if that helps anyone.)

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Neris posted:

They're opening a pizza east in Kentish Town, ha ha! :woop: Up and coming area or what. Conveniently, I work a 5 minute walk from where it will be (opposite the Vine pub where the Grand Union used to be if that helps anyone.)

I live a 5 minute walk from where it will be :)
They're also opening a new place called 'Chicken Shop' in the same building.
http://www.hardens.com/restaurant-news/uk-london/17-05-12/soho-house-to-open-two-restaurants-in-kentish-town/

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Recently went to Brasserie Toulouse Lautrec in Kennington. Bar upstairs with live music pretty much every night, French restaurant downstairs. A really nice experience and some fantastic food. Had a rocket salada with chorizo and sunblushed tomatoes and a duck breast main with roast parsips and redcurrant sauce. A couple of others had a delicious looking lamb shank you could cut with a fork. Only bad notes were the waiters trying to hurry us to clear the table as there was a Friday night rush and the dessert of cherry and almond tart was overcooked and not very pleasant.

I also nipped down to Rum & Sugar at West India Quay to soak up some sun. They do a nice tempura whitebait and prawn sharing starter. My friend had haddock and chips which was served in a little fry basket which looked aesthetically pleasing but was difficult for him to eat out of. I had a burger which was perfectly good and came with a side of tartare sauce? Not sure what that was about.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Went down to Japanese Knife Company yesterday to get a knife sharpened (and ended up buying a new piece :D). Noticed Purl was just across the road, so I stopped in for a cocktail. Not as good as Nightjar and not nearly the selection, but great cocktails nonetheless. I really liked the Femme Fatale. Very well balanced, and it came with a spherified olive, which was loving incredible.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Oh look - a list of vegetarian restaurants! :sirens: Although Vanilla Blacks appears on it and I'm so terrifically skeptical of that after the reviews I've read.
http://londonist.com/2012/05/londons-best-vegetarian-restaurants.php

Anyone know anything about these places other than Mildreds? I swear 'what's good veggie restaurants' is one of the main things that get asked.

edit: btw what's the best manky Chinese food in soho? I went to one yesterday in desperation after critical mass which was £4.95 for all you can eat but it was pretty dire. Would be good to know one which is still kind of gross greasy takeaway style but a step up from that...

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Neris posted:

Oh look - a list of vegetarian restaurants! :sirens: Although Vanilla Blacks appears on it and I'm so terrifically skeptical of that after the reviews I've read.
http://londonist.com/2012/05/londons-best-vegetarian-restaurants.php

Anyone know anything about these places other than Mildreds? I swear 'what's good veggie restaurants' is one of the main things that get asked.

edit: btw what's the best manky Chinese food in soho? I went to one yesterday in desperation after critical mass which was £4.95 for all you can eat but it was pretty dire. Would be good to know one which is still kind of gross greasy takeaway style but a step up from that...

I always go to 'won kei' out of habit more then anything.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Leong's Legends is pretty decent, though to be pedantic it's Taiwanese and not Chinese food. The xiao long bao are great.

It's not really sloppy take away style, but still quite reasonable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Neris posted:

I go to MW (aka the smart one of the Mr Wu chain) which is another buffet, but it's £8.50 and the extra money is so worth it as the selection and quality are vastly improved. It's still manky low-end chinese, but I'm fine with that.

I used to go to Poons on Leicester St before it closed (and the signs in the place there now which say 'formally Poons' are LIES, and the quality isn't even half as good as it was), so I need a new proper sit down Chinese place. I was thinking of trying Yauatcha tonight, maybe New World at some point in the next week.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!

Neris posted:

The lady and I really like The Mayflower by the Queen's Theatre. Food is always very fast and you'll have about 10 waiters. I imagine take out is quite quick. The peppered beef is fantastic.

The rule is never go to a buffet under £7 and always pick the busiest one as the food is the freshest.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The rule is never go to buffet restaurants unless it's the Carlton Beach in Cannes. :colbert:

New World is decent for dim sum, and Yauatcha is fantastic - although neither cheap nor greasy.

I've done most of those vegetarian restaurants - The Gate and Manna are indeed very good. There's also Orchard, the Vanilla Black sister restaurant that is apparently good, as discussed here previously.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

therattle posted:

The rule is never go to buffet restaurants unless it's the Carlton Beach in Cannes. :colbert:

New World is decent for dim sum, and Yauatcha is fantastic - although neither cheap

We were broke, exhausted and starving! I stand by my decision :colbert:
Although one hilarious thing is they didn't "sell" tap water. "We only have still mineral, is that okay?"
I'm so glad I said no because it was loving £3.50 a bottle!

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
Headed to Meat Liquor tomorrow, can't find a menu anywhere, what's the general prices?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DaveP posted:

Headed to Meat Liquor tomorrow, can't find a menu anywhere, what's the general prices?

£7-9 per burger if I remember. Fries about £4?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

MeatMarket is £7.50 a burger, £4 for sides

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah about right -Sides about 6-7, beer 4-5 and cocktails around 8

Bloody loved it (but then I am probably the target market), got down at 6am so totally skipped the idea of a queue (and enough time to get a few beers in first), went for the Dead Hippy burger and the beaut chicken wings, washed down by some of the great 'House Grog' (rum, rum and more rum.. and some pineapple) -stepping outside of the dark neon interior, realising it's 8:20 and light outside and I'm wasted and the queue that we avoided now stretched most of the way down the road

Better than Haché, but then it's also a different audience

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

The_Doctor posted:

That's just around the corner from me, and I've never eaten there, but friends have and they've said it's pretty middling. The food is fine, but doesn't live up to the pretentiousness of the place. It really thinks its a hell of a lot better than it is.

Hmm, interesting. I think the food is pretty good, if not slightly overpriced. It's nice to have something decent close to the house though. Also, I hear there's a waiter that gives free digestif to goons :iiam:

In other news, I'm headed to Manna tonight. Super excited!

Lemon-Shaped Rock
Mar 7, 2012
Mourning Due and I just got back from Le Mercury; have to add my recommendations to this thread. Really great food, reasonably priced and nice wine. I had the broccoli soup to start, swordfish with buttered french beans and poached pear and my handsome date had the mussels, saddle of lamb with rosemary jus and sticky toffee pudding. If I had to recommend one dish above all I would say the mussels, which were huge and yummy. Goon recommended restaurants thus far: 2 for 2

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Oh cool, glad you enjoyed it! Super cheap innit? (You're Hannah, right?)

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

50% off in Tapasia "pan-Asian tapas" on Old Compton Street until June 24th.. if anyone wants to eat cheap this weekend!

"This new asian tapas joint is from the same people behind tsunami. Expect dynamite beef skewers, octopus with mango and walnuts, lobster shu mai, and lamb cutlets with kimchi. Soft launch - 50% off food - till June 24." (from Hot Dinners)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Okay, so we're leaving on the 28th and I'm doing my obsessive pre-prep. I'm building a custom Google map of all the stuff we plan to visit with blue markers and all the restaurants you guys have mentioned with red markers.

I have something plotted out relatively close to almost every attraction, but there are a couple of gaps. I hope nobody minds me asking about these specific neighborhoods?

I don't have anything mapped within 1.5 miles of Westminster Abbey - I'm not sure if we're going to go, it looks like it will be packed with gawky tourists :( The kid in me wants to go to the zoo, but it's not a priority, seeing as we have a pretty good zoo right here at home.

The real outliers are Crystal Palace Park and the Royal Greenwich Observatory, and I could probably use another rec or two out near Highgate Cemetery, since we're most likely going to spend a fair amount of time there (we like cool old cemeteries, what can I say?). I do have the Southampton Arms listed there, but they're down as a cider spot - is the food good?

We don't mind walking ~a mile for food, and I'm sure we won't need to eat before/after every single stop on our itinerary, but with Captain Spontaneous with me I want to try and build in as many options as possible.

Thanks to this thread I have way more eateries marked than attractions...

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The only food you'll get at the soton arms is pork pies and pork baps. It is a pub, not a restaurant. There are a few middling Ethiopian restaurants near it though.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Then maybe it would be better to eat lunch on our way out there, spend the afternoon roaming around, grab a few pints of cider, and head back towards the city center for dinner. "Middling Ethiopian" doesn't sound too appealing.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Kentish Town/Gospel Oak where it is isn't exactly a shining example of London cuisine though there is some passable stuff, certainly nothing you should go out of your way for. Lovely pub though. Although I can't drink anything they sell because I suck and it's all too strong and sour!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I used to drink straight vinegar as a kid, so I'm not too concerned about sour ciders.

I wish there was a practical way for you and I to do a foreign cider exchange program. The US is full of sweet cider brands (both clear and cloudy), and I don't particularly care for them. The newish Angry Orchard brand is okay, they have an apple ginger hard cider that my husband really likes, but even their most crisp cider is a bit sweet for my tastes.

Someone was telling me that the differences in cider culture between the US and the UK had to do with the kinds of apples that can be grown in the two countries. I'm not sure if that's true, but it would make sense from what little I know about apple varieties. I mean, you guys have the Bramley, which I've heard can be delightfully tart, whereas here it's actually pretty difficult to find a good tart apple. Even the Granny Smith, which is held up as an example of a tart apple, is not that tart. I had one this morning and I've had a more sour apple by dropping slices into lemon water to stop them from browning :(

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

You are in fact completely right about the apple varieties.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

RazorBunny posted:

I do have the Southampton Arms listed there, but they're down as a cider spot - is the food good?

Southampton Arms for ciders and ales, but go up the road to the Bull and Last for food. As gastropubs go, it's pretty drat good. You may need to book in advance though.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Oh yeah, best chips in London so I hear. I keep meaning to try it! Plus then you can go for a stroll on the Heath after.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Oh and as far as the Ethiopian food there goes, it's fine (e.g. Lalibela) just not as good as Gojo in Ladbroke Grove.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Went to Sophie's Steakhouse in Chelsea the other day, it's one of those no booking places. Food was fine, but I expect more than that from somewhere like this, not really worth the price differential over Bodeans. The atmosphere was also poor. The wine list on the other hand was surprisingly reasonably priced and very good. If you can't decide on a wine then just got the house red, it pairs brilliantly with red meats.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Any suggestions for a (cheapish) place to go for lunch in North? We're moving house tomorrow and want to take my partner's dad somewhere that isn't too far from Tottenham Hale, but neither of us know of many places round here.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

How far are you willing to go? Finsbury Park? Highbury and Islington? I've had plenty of recommendations for places on Stroud Green Road (a 5m walk from Finsbury Park station) and I know quite a few on Upper Street but as for Tottenham goes... kinda stuck there!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Yup, Finsbury Park/Highbury and Islington are pretty much the ideal places! Tottenham itself sucks for food, unless you fancy greasy chicken etc.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bollock Monkey posted:

Yup, Finsbury Park/Highbury and Islington are pretty much the ideal places! Tottenham itself sucks for food, unless you fancy greasy chicken etc.
Apparently Il Piccolo Diavolo on Crouch Hill is v good for cheapish casual but tasty Italian food. Just up from there is The Noble for Sunday pub lunch, as are The Stapleton and the Old Dairy. These are Finsbury park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
San Marco is a nice Italian place just by Bruce Grove station. They do 'proper' square Roman style pizzas.