Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The_Doctor posted:

The couple of times I've been in Brewdog I could barely hear myself think, let alone carry on a conversation.

I've just moved to Nottingham and live above a brew dog pub. It's pretty empty most of the time by honestly most of their beers are pretty gimmicky and not all the great. Awesome being able to go to a pub without stepping outside though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

drat, you guys are brilliant. Thanks. I'll make a note of these.

We've been frequenting Katzenjammers on our London trips for the last few years, but it's just gotten too drat noisy on a Saturday night. (Plus we're sick of weissbier.)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

If you like Belgian beer and don't mind the price gouging, the Lowlander along long acre has a good selection.

The white horse right by Parsons green has an amazing selection, with the downside of being frequented by a good smattering of ra ra sloaney types.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
Cask is a good option for amazing beer variety and reasonable noise levels. Food is limited to (pretty good) burgers though. It's also in a relatively boring area.

Speaking of burgers I finally got round to Shake Shack last night. Aside from the peanut butter milkshake which I love, I couldn't recommend it. It came out to £15 for a burger, fries and shake. There's better options around for that price.

Now for a high end recommendation
- Restaurant Story near Tower Bridge. Went last Saturday for the ten course £75 tasting menu. Five amuse bouches including a crispy cod skin, and a savoury Oreo lookalike came relentlessly, then some very fresh and creative dishes. I'd wager this is the closest thing to noma in London (I think I said that about Hedone but Story is better), Tom Sellers did a stint there and it shows.
Ignore the slightly pretentious "bring a book that tells your personal story" aspect, the service was great, the setting minimal and cosy. I'm not surprised to see they have been awarded a Michelin star today after only six months service!

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

The white horse right by Parsons green has an amazing selection, with the downside of being frequented by a good smattering of ra ra sloaney types.

You know that it's commonly called the Sloaney Pony right?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

tentish klown posted:

You know that it's commonly called the Sloaney Pony right?

I do, used to live two streets away. On the day of the oxbridge boat race it was a spectacularly awful display of trust fund bastards.

Still, well staffed, great beers, nice couches, no piped in music..

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Eh, staff has gone downhill. Last 2 times I was less than impressed. I asked if they had any saisons in the fridge and the girl was confused until I asked the manager. 2-3 years ago it was a different story.

Mostly not worth the money you need to fork out. Unless you live in sw6, you rich jammy bastard

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Had Bukowski burger in Shoreditch over the weekend, definitely up there in terms of taste but was so messy I went through about a hundred napkins. Bottom bun lacked structural integrity under the weight of sauces and juiciness and just disintegrated. Triple cooked beef dripping chips were out of this world.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Great meal at The Dairy in Clapham last night - £78 including service for 7 small tasty courses, two glasses of wine and a dessert. There's a 7 course tasting for £45 (!) too. They bought out a smear of bone marrow whipped butter with the (free, hot, amazing) bread but I'm vege so they fetched some seaweed butter for me which my partner agreed was even better. Hiiiighly recommended.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
More about drink than food but:

I'm organising a stag do for this Saturday and I'm casting about for a cool bar or lounge where we could finish the day at leisure over some cocktails and beers. Preferences:

- we be starting from near Aldgate between 9pm and 10pm, although can travel
- be really useful to have somewhere we could reserve a table or get into anyway
- not too noisy?

Ideas?

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Hey dudes, this thread has helped a lot with meal planning for the few days that my family will be in London. Thanks :)

I have a more specific request if anyone can help out with some recommendations. I need post-theatre food that's cheap, quick and easy. Specifically, something that won't be too busy at 10pm on Friday, and within walking distance of the Prince of Wales Theatre. There's a prominent East Asian void in our current dining itinerary (mainly because it's what we mostly eat when not travelling), so that's what I'm leaning towards. We'll be there in early November, so warm and/or spicy food will be welcome comforts.

edit: Alcohol unnecessary, my parents are I'm old and we'd most likely head back to the hotel right after eating.

wei fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 7, 2013

powertoiletduck
Feb 19, 2004

dance dance dance
head into Chinatown? I usually go to the Four Seasons for BBQ meat and rice post theatre.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Thanks. I had the time to look at restaurant closing times and locations, and it turns out there are dozens of options that open to 11/12 and are close enough. I'm so jealous of your city.

Ended up making a booking for Bocca Di Lupo which doesn't fit what I asked for in my post earlier, but I just couldn't resist it after looking at their menu.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
You can almost always get a table at New World without waiting. Not the best Chinese food in the world but a decent price, decent quality and served quickly.

powertoiletduck
Feb 19, 2004

dance dance dance

wei posted:

Ended up making a booking for Bocca Di Lupo which doesn't fit what I asked for in my post earlier, but I just couldn't resist it after looking at their menu.

Bocca is wonderful food but certainly a different price bracket. You'll have a great time there.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Oh god, Bocca Di Lupo is fantastic. I had something like a wild pigeon or partridge when I ate there for my birthday in 2011. Memorably delicious, have a good time!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

powertoiletduck posted:

head into Chinatown? I usually go to the Four Seasons for BBQ meat and rice post theatre.

What's with the cold BBQ meat thing? I love char sui, or crispy pork belly, but lots of places tend to serve it cold on hot rice. At least throw it in the microwave, guys? :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Does anyone have any recommendations for a central-ish London (Bond Street is probably as far west as we're willing to go, and Liverpool Street is the eastern limit) restaurant to take someone to for their birthday (so proper sit-down meal rather than something like Meat Liquor)? We both like spicy food as well as generally anything with meat in it. The other person likes shellfish, but I don't (we're both fine with fish, though). We're looking for something that'll work out to ~£30-40 a head, not including wine.

Sadly, Bocca di Lupo is booked out for the night we wanted to go, that was our first choice. I'm leaning towards the Hawksmoor, if only because it's a known quantity, but I know the other person isn't that fond of steak.

I realise this is a bit vague as far as a request goes, but that's why I'm asking - the good food map is a bit hard to use when those are all the restrictions I have.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a central-ish London (Bond Street is probably as far west as we're willing to go, and Liverpool Street is the eastern limit) restaurant to take someone to for their birthday (so proper sit-down meal rather than something like Meat Liquor)? We both like spicy food as well as generally anything with meat in it. The other person likes shellfish, but I don't (we're both fine with fish, though). We're looking for something that'll work out to ~£30-40 a head, not including wine.

Sadly, Bocca di Lupo is booked out for the night we wanted to go, that was our first choice. I'm leaning towards the Hawksmoor, if only because it's a known quantity, but I know the other person isn't that fond of steak.

I realise this is a bit vague as far as a request goes, but that's why I'm asking - the good food map is a bit hard to use when those are all the restrictions I have.

Great Queen Street

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Sounds like you have a bit of a budget which is nice, as there's quite a few really great places in central for birthday celebration meals! For special occasions I can't recommend Bob Bob Ricard enough, the entire atmosphere is really magical and special. Definitely order the chocolate glory, and if you're a big fan of meat the veal holstein is a pretty unusual dish.

Other ones that spring to mind are Quo Vadis, the Riding House Cafe and the Opera Tavern

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Awesome, thanks - I'll check all of those out. Not sure if Bob Bob Ricard will be something the other person is into, although it looks pretty awesome.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

They do like, salmon with dill, and other more traditional dishes too if that helps!

And the interior is so lush.

Okay I'll stop now. Does anyone fancy taking me out to Bob Bob Ricard, coincidentally??

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
This probably isn't the right place to ask, but what the hell. The Rotary bar/diner off Old St roundabout is closing at Christmas while the site is being redeveloped - does anyone know where the temporary replacement bar will be?
If you haven't been, try it out. The food is pretty good, and there is a bar downstairs (ask one of the staff) that does amazing cocktails.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
My mum's birthday is coming up and I'd like to take her out somewhere nice. Problem is she's a retiree and eats out all the time, her favourite is the Delauney but they eat there so often that it's not so special anymore. Other favourites are St Johns, Hawksmore, Terroir, Dehesa, Honey & Co and the Modern Pantry. Any suggestions?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Jesus. I hope when I'm retired I'm sitting on enough money to eat out at those places all the time.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Jesus. I hope when I'm retired I'm sitting on enough money to eat out at those places all the time.

This. I don't have the money to eat in those places now, let alone when I'm reliant on any semblance of pension.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Rolled Cabbage posted:

My mum's birthday is coming up and I'd like to take her out somewhere nice. Problem is she's a retiree and eats out all the time, her favourite is the Delauney but they eat there so often that it's not so special anymore. Other favourites are St Johns, Hawksmore, Terroir, Dehesa, Honey & Co and the Modern Pantry. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you're going to have to be looking at places like Dinner or the Ledbury for a treat or go the complete opposite and take her to pitt cue

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

What about a supper club or something a little off-the-beaten track? A taster menu somewhere or something?

http://www.londonpopups.com/p/london-supper-clubs.html

quote:

5th November - The Underground Restaurant
Cheese fondue bonfire night. £35 adults. Kids £20.
Wear coats, scarves and hats, we'll be by the bonfire, eating cheese fondue, cups of soup, hot chocolate, cinder toffee, parkin and toffee apples.

That sounds pretty nice for instance, but isn't really taking someone out for dinner, it's a food-based event where you'll get your fill and plenty of atmosphere and probably would be pretty fun!

edit: Otherwise BOB BOB RICARD :keke:

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

tentish klown posted:

This probably isn't the right place to ask, but what the hell. The Rotary bar/diner off Old St roundabout is closing at Christmas while the site is being redeveloped - does anyone know where the temporary replacement bar will be?
If you haven't been, try it out. The food is pretty good, and there is a bar downstairs (ask one of the staff) that does amazing cocktails.

They're heavily involved with Street Feast in Hoxton/Dalston that was happening all Summer and apparently there's a Winter version of it on the way once they decide on location so lots of the food/cocktails will likely be available at that. :)

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I went one of the street feast events about a month ago and it was great fun.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Neris posted:

What about a supper club or something a little off-the-beaten track? A taster menu somewhere or something?

http://www.londonpopups.com/p/london-supper-clubs.html

That sounds pretty nice for instance, but isn't really taking someone out for dinner, it's a food-based event where you'll get your fill and plenty of atmosphere and probably would be pretty fun!

edit: Otherwise BOB BOB RICARD :keke:

At first I thought you were talking about Supper Club, and I wanted to die inside. We're all good, now though :)

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, that was a strange googling experience. TIMES SURE HAVE CHANGED SINCE I WAS A YOUNG FOOD ENTHUSIAST

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I got round to going to The Duck and Waffle for breakfast the other day. I was expecting to dislike it for being overly corporate and shiny, but ended up really enjoying it. It is overly corporate and shiny, but the food was good (I had the eponymous duck & waffle) and the view really is spectacular enough to warrant the prices.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
Yeah, Rolled Cabbage if your Mum hasn't been to the Ledbury I'd recommend there. There's also Operea Tavern and Salt Yard in the same family as Dehesa but they could be too similar.

Perhaps also consider Galvin at Windows which tends to slip under the radar but I've found good for celebrations. If there's enough of you in the group you can get one of the two tables right by the Hyde Park window view.

Took the other half to Flesh and Buns. Is there a restaurant with worse acoustics? Unbelievably loud, I'd hate to be sat on the central communal table and try to have a conversation. The food was quite good though. Even the basic asparagus starter was nicely charcoaled for that burnt taste.
Then went to The Greenhouse as part of our post engagement celebrations. Typical Mayfair upper end, pricey but the grouse was superb and every dish had flashes of Michelin style creativity. Arnaud Bignon even came out to personally wish us congratulations. With less top chefs even attending their kitchens these days this was a nice touch. Philip Howard was on the next table too :D

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I went to the smokehouse in Islington on Friday. Huge, huge selection of beers on tap. The food was ok. It was tasty enough but just didn't have quite the depth of flavour i was expecting, apparently they do everything on a big green egg which is an expensive home smoker. The portions were pretty small too. I had sticky toffee pudding for desert and it was more of a brown sponge. Than said it was a decent meal and I think I've just been spoiled recently.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I'm going to London early next month for work and I have a friday evening for myself and want to spend that trying some nice restaurant. Unfortunately my first choice, St. John, was fully booked, and my second, Hedone, turned out to be located way out in the sticks. Any reccomendations for nice mid priced alternatives, fairly centrally located. I'll be staying in Paddington, but anywhere in the city should be fine.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 23, 2013

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
Although Hedone is in Chiswick - not exactly the sticks :) - it's very accessible on the tube and if you fancy it then why not go for it. There's not a lot of similar Scandinavian options that I know of. Restaurant Story is one of them which I thoroughly enjoyed recently but you're unlikely to get a table.
It's a shame North Road closed down, that place was great but no one seemed to know about it and/or want to eat there.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Dunno if this is really the right place for this, but I managed to get my debit card stolen on the way home after dinner + drinks last Thursday and they've completely taken me to the cleaners. Went to Herman ze German on old Compton st and a few bars round soho.

I got some cash out on the way home in Camden and somehow they managed to get my card and pin. All money gone, about £3200, in SE London, mostly in a bookies. Shitheads at the bank gave me a reasonably hard time and someone will call me in 5 days to discuss whether they'll refund the money.

Dean St Townhouse was fairly good for drinks, but the wurst at Herman's were excellent.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

knox_harrington posted:

Dunno if this is really the right place for this, but I managed to get my debit card stolen on the way home after dinner + drinks last Thursday and they've completely taken me to the cleaners. Went to Herman ze German on old Compton st and a few bars round soho.

I got some cash out on the way home in Camden and somehow they managed to get my card and pin. All money gone, about £3200, in SE London, mostly in a bookies. Shitheads at the bank gave me a reasonably hard time and someone will call me in 5 days to discuss whether they'll refund the money.

Dean St Townhouse was fairly good for drinks, but the wurst at Herman's were excellent.

They probably targeted you as they recognised you as the well-known performance artist.

That really sucks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Bodeans won't allow me to do a 2 person booking for my birthday and I'm not chancing just showing up there or anywhere. Any tips for a similar sort of place/vibe in central? Burgers, bbq, etc?