Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

Misato or Ichibuns virtually opposite eachother on Wardour street. If you do Ichibuns, try the amazing Japanese loo.

Tonkotsu on Dean is pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
If I go into Misato I'm probably going to end up having the teriyaki katsu but well worth a go.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Misato is very easy for favourite dishes. I usually have the tori soba soup. So big and filling.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Misato or Ichibuns virtually opposite eachother on Wardour street. If you do Ichibuns, try the amazing Japanese loo.

Misato suuuuucks.

Kanada-Ya in St Giles or on Panton Street.

I also like Tonkotsu although their portions have got stingy since they first opened.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ineptmule posted:

Misato suuuuucks.

Kanada-Ya in St Giles or on Panton Street.

I also like Tonkotsu although their portions have got stingy since they first opened.

Misato is cheap and massive portions, no complaints

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Spuckuk posted:

Misato is cheap and massive portions, no complaints

I’d rather have good food and a smaller portion, thankyouverymuch. Quality over quantity. :smug:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

There's something to be said for both, Roku was gorgeous through and through, but i would not turn down the six meals I could get at Misato for the same price.

Right now I'd go to Misato for kutsu, Eat Tokyo for tempura and Roku for sushi.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
No love for Kanada-Ya ITT? Best ramen I’ve had in London hands down.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Well, Kanada-ya close at 3 like loving idiots. Didn't help that buses just didn't bother running and made me an hour late.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

therattle posted:

How’s the cleft arsehole going?

<titter>

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

If you want to get it looked at I can recommend a good doctor. He’s a good man, and thorough.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I went to Claude Bosi at Bibendum yesterday and it was excellent. Definitely recommended - it was pretty inventive but not properly weird like some places.

http://bibendum.co.uk/

(trying to get in as many good meals as I can before I leave London :saddowns:)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

ineptmule posted:

No love for Kanada-Ya ITT? Best ramen I’ve had in London hands down.

Somebody here recommended them to me 2 years ago when there was only 1 place. We went there and queued up for 15 mins. The ramen was amazing and I plan to go again when I go to London in June.

That said: Is there anything new (opened in last year) that's a must try in terms of streetfood/low key eating in London?

Has anyone of you ever eaten at the Indian YMCA? It came up as a "secret London thing to do" in some website but I am not sure it would hold up.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 2, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m doing the Poons pop up tomorrow, as I have many happy memories of going to their Leicester Street branch as a kid. That said, the menu is properly tiny, and doesn’t have anything I remember having at the proper restaurant.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Thanks to whoever recommended the ROKA tasting menu above. Went there over the weekend for the best sushi I have had in my life.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hopper posted:

Somebody here recommended them to me 2 years ago when there was only 1 place. We went there and queued up for 15 mins. The ramen was amazing and I plan to go again when I go to London in June.

That said: Is there anything new (opened in last year) that's a must try in terms of streetfood/low key eating in London?

Has anyone of you ever eaten at the Indian YMCA? It came up as a "secret London thing to do" in some website but I am not sure it would hold up.

I ate at IYMCA a while ago. It’s cheap and decent, unpretentious and tasty but not amazing. Good value though.

On the other side of the spectrum we went to Fera for our combined birthdays and 10th anniversary. Very, very good. The food is innovative and quite challenging in some ways (unlike, say, Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley where everything is just delicious) but almost always to good effect. Service is as you’d expect.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Poons was really good, but sadly nothing like I remember. :(

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The time has come. Flying to London on Monday till Thursday. I did some research and have some things I want to do/eat, but I am still looking for tips on these, ideally near Circle or Jubilee line:

- a real pub (no chain stuff) with good pub grub at reasonable prices

- a good place to just stroll and check out street food/low key dining other than Covent garden market/Mayfair/chinatown area

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Hopper posted:

The time has come. Flying to London on Monday till Thursday. I did some research and have some things I want to do/eat, but I am still looking for tips on these, ideally near Circle or Jubilee line:

- a good place to just stroll and check out street food/low key dining other than Covent garden market/Mayfair/chinatown area

Broadway market on a Saturday is pretty great

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I always recommend Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese for tourists. Very accessible, very authentic. Part of a smaller chain of pubs, but they do simple traditional pub food and have decent beer at low prices for London. Upstairs is standard looking, but I always sit in the dingy cellar. It's one of the few pubs that are part of that pissing contest of "oldest pub in London" that is actually legit, in that the building has been there since it was rebuilt after the Great Fire of London in 1667.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
For street food go check out Leather Lane at lunchtime on a weekday, which also has London's best speciality coffee shop - Prufrock.

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

Hopper posted:

Visit the Royal Oak near Borough tube station at lunchtime. Great boozer and does decent home cooked food.

Seconding the Leather Lane recommendation for street food and dining (weekday lunchtime)

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Yeah leather Lane is great, as is nearby exmouth market

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
I wouldn't generally recommend Brick Lane as it's just a crappy tourist trap now but it's a little bit of a waste of a trip to London not to go to Beigel Bake (any time - it's open 24 hours) and get a salt beef bagel with mustard.

e: LAC, dunno if you've tried it but getting them to deliver a shitload of bagels during a night shift is an A+ way to generate permanent good-will among your nursing colleagues.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Brick Lane is poo poo now. The touting is just naff.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Yeah, my pals organised last years’ Christmas curry to be in brick lane because the usual place got too small for us. Wouldn’t go again, was shite.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
90% of places on Brick Lane are just tourist trash coasting on the reputation nowadays, but there are still a couple of decent places - Beigel Bake is great and the donut shop (which I forget the name of) is excellent too. Also just round the corner is the Truman Brewery which has Mother Clucker.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Jeza posted:

I always recommend Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese for tourists. Very accessible, very authentic. Part of a smaller chain of pubs, but they do simple traditional pub food and have decent beer at low prices for London. Upstairs is standard looking, but I always sit in the dingy cellar. It's one of the few pubs that are part of that pissing contest of "oldest pub in London" that is actually legit, in that the building has been there since it was rebuilt after the Great Fire of London in 1667.

I really like the Sam Smith chain, and the cider will get you rekked.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If there's one thing in Brick Lane that I will bat for that isn't Beigel Bakes it's that one falafel stall that was offering halloumi chips. Extremely good.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I will check Bagel Bake, I had Brick lane bagel shop on my list so I was gonna try to get there anyway.
Haloumi fries? Any pointers whereabouts that is, it sounds amazing. I will walk up ajd down the street for that if need be

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Been to Kanada-Ya for dinner, the one next to the Odeon at Picadilly. Tonkotsu X is still a drat good ramen. Then had a sesame red bean bun in Chinatown for desert. All in all a good start. Tomorrow is probably golden Union for dinner than some drinking in Mayfair.

Wednesday still undecided, either a trip to Grenwich or Neasden Temple in the afternoon, then Ye olde Cheshire Cheese if time permits

Thursday lunch will be Brick Lane/Leather Lane.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I fuckin’ love Kanada-Ya. Haven’t been for ages as I’ve had to go to my nerd club round the corner less often since moving house.

Edit: Did you pile on the pickled ginger? Ohhhh sweet lord.

Edit 2: I’ve now posted like six times about this place on this page alone :heysexy:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Went to Sticky Mango, 33 Coin Street yesterday, near Waterloo.

Meh.

Food was luke warm, not spicy at all, the flavours had not reached inside the beef rendang, the prawns smelled off and were completely unshelled (at least mention it to us).

Will not be going back.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
That sounds dreadful. Did you have a recommendation?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Golden Union was okayish. Kerbisher&Malt is way better. Fish was okay, fries were meh and gravy was forgettable. Not impressed sadly.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

ineptmule posted:

That sounds dreadful. Did you have a recommendation?

Nope. Just google maps found it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
We had dinner at the Indian YMCA today. They serve a set menu in their dining hall which is open to all for 9£. It was great food, a mix of 3 dofderent mains (veggie curry, beans, chicken curry, naan, a soup, desert, tea).

Wasn't fancy of course but tasted amazing.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I discovered bang bang in cricklewood the other week.

Oh Lordy. Weekends are now booked out for years.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Horse Clocks posted:

I discovered bang bang in cricklewood the other week.

Oh Lordy. Weekends are now booked out for years.

That’s Colindale, Cricklewood is a way aways. Bang Bang is where the Yaohan Plaza/Oriental City used to be. I’ve tried to go twice, but it’s been an hour wait each time. For a food court!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

That’s Colindale, Cricklewood is a way aways. Bang Bang is where the Yaohan Plaza/Oriental City used to be. I’ve tried to go twice, but it’s been an hour wait each time. For a food court!

An hour wait to get in? Jesus.

I go with the wife and baby on the weekends for lunch, it’s usually busy, but there’s free tables and no waiting.