Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mammalian posted:

I've wanted to get my Hiromoto Gyuto sharpened for a while now, but the idea of carrying my giant knife around the streets of London and saying "boss I'm getting it sharpened init" perturbs me

I wrapped mine in a towel and shoved it in a backpack. Probably not as nice as yours...

Also it's Soho, they're used to weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mammalian posted:

I've wanted to get my Hiromoto Gyuto sharpened for a while now, but the idea of carrying my giant knife around the streets of London and saying "boss I'm getting it sharpened init" perturbs me

I only have one nice sheath, so if I ever have to travel with more than one knife I will take some cardboard (like an old cereal box) and some tape. Mostly does the trick.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Youll be fine if you wrap it up. Against the vanishingly small chance you get stopped, you have a reasonable excuse for carrying it, which is all you need according to the law. If you have cause to believe that a judge or jury would find this excuse unlikely, find someone else to take it for you.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Mammalian posted:

As for lunch around the area, there's a place called GReat, greek restaurant, some of the best yeeros in the UK. They have a delicatessen just down the road too which sells halloumi, halva, and some pretty kick rear end pies (would recommend the spinach and feta.)
I go here nearly daily as its one of the few places in this lovely area that isnt a cash-only over-salted street stall that might not be there at lunch because Giuseppe couldnt be bothered getting up this morning to cook his artisanal flatbread.

Never order a large. Its always a mistake.

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

Not just any Jesus Mammalian Jesus

Horse Clocks posted:

I go here nearly daily as its one of the few places in this lovely area that isnt a cash-only over-salted street stall that might not be there at lunch because Giuseppe couldnt be bothered getting up this morning to cook his artisanal flatbread.

Never order a large. Its always a mistake.

Noted, lmao. I haven't tried any of the street stalls yet nor smithfield market, I used to work on Old Street and whitecross market was just around the corner which was always delicious, they had a Turkish stall with cujuk and hellim (spicy beef and cheese) in a wrap. As a half Turk I tried to say "merhaba" to get freebies but it didn't work :(

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
My companion and I are looking for feedback and suggestions for a restaurant itinerary in London April.
We are major foodies and enjoy active city trips with a big gastronomic part.
Commonly, we actively walk around the city the whole day and go for a nice (fine-)dining experience in the evening.
We try to find local spots and places that are harder to find back home (Belgium) or that are world-known to be superb or top the lists. We prefer 1.5-2hour+ meals that allow us to discover the restaurants style. For instance, we often go for tasting menus with beverage pairing.

In that sense, we had decided upon the following itinerary:
Monday Evening -> Ikoyi (Fusion West-African)
Tuesday Evening -> A. Wong (Contemporary Chinese)
Wednesday Evening -> Kutir (New Indian hotspot)
Thursday Evening -> Core by Clare Smyth (Fine dining British)
Friday Lunch -> No reservations. Either Polpetto or Barafina perhaps?

The idea of the above list, on which Im looking for feedback, is to have a gastronomic journey through 3 special cuisines and end the evening dinners on a more casual note for European tastebuds of accessible cooking since 4 times ethnic cooking in a row could or might be excessive.
Concerns with this list is if our palate, taste buds, gastronomic capacity, and especially alcohol tolerance, would not be exceeded with going out like this for 4 evenings in a row.
What do you think? Is the doability of this list in excess? Are there better alternatives? Would you approach it differently? Open to any and all feedback!

In addition and unfortunately, we are already too late to make reservations for Core. Anything you would suggest as a replacement?

Kalenden fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 20, 2019

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Eating impure special foods on three consecutive days is nigh certain to taint your pristine gastronomicity, and the utmost caution should be exercised lest you too become an ethnicity.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Waci posted:

Eating impure special foods on three consecutive days is nigh certain to taint your pristine gastronomicity, and the utmost caution should be exercised lest you too become an ethnicity.

Sarcasm noted, I worded this very poorly and tried to improve it a bit. Apologies.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Kalenden posted:

Sarcasm noted, I worded this very poorly and tried to improve it a bit. Apologies.

Hell, your English is excellent. Youre not the one who should be apologising.

I dont know if its too much; only you can really decide that!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

therattle posted:

Youre not the one who should be apologising.

Their English wasn't the problem and they already edited out the bad part and apologised (like sane people do when they phrase something in an inadvertently offensive way), but I'm sorry questioning categorising cuisines as "ethnic" versus "pure" ones offends you?

Waci fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 21, 2019

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Waci posted:

Their English wasn't the problem and they already edited out the bad part and apologised (like sane people do when they phrase something in an inadvertently offensive way), but I'm sorry questioning categorising cuisines as "ethnic" versus "pure" ones offends you?

Waci posted:

Sheeeeit, I didnt see that. Sorry!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I didnt see the kerfuffle but food is really really subjective. Yes we might groan at people who only eats at McDonalds when they go travel, but I know lots of people with Chinese stomachs and they go crazy when they cant eat rice.

I seen westerners get really upset when they have soft sweet bread.

London is cool and fun, its not on the coast but close enough to have both sea and land food culture. Im always weirded out by my midland friends who dont like seafood even though UK is a giant island.

Dont say fish and chip!

Oh and shilling for regency cafe. Its good stuff

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

Not just any Jesus Mammalian Jesus
So previously I mentioned GReat in Clerkenwell (9 min walk from farringdon station) and was talking about the deli, which is great, hadn't yet been to the restaurant.

Well I went, I got a yeeros wrap with chicken and lamb (the beef was out of stock), salad and chips. 6.90.

I'm kind of underwhelmed though. Anyone been here and can recommend something specific? Is the takeaway menu just not as good? I read "best yeeros in London, hell, the UK!" and expected more than an average kebab/weird burrito.

I'm a massive fan of kebabs when I'm hungry enough, but not a big fan of burritos, also the sauce, the SAUCE, it was ALL at the top, so I had basically two giant slices of tomato covered in garlic sauce, and a little bit of lamb, and then 4 bits of lamb all together further down, lmao.

Maybe because I came during rush hour?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Waci posted:

Yes. Again, obvious on rereading. I like multi-cultural cuisine and meant no offense. Heck, one of my greatest food experiences was in Kuala Lumpur!

In any case, back on topic.
Was thinking of replacing Core with Clove Club. I am on the waiting list for Core though.

Any opinions on either Kutir or Ikoyi? Considering their 'newness' I've heard mixed reports about quality (of food, wine, and important above all friendliness and service)

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I really want to try Ikoyi, and all the reviews I've read of it have been great.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
I didn't know this thread existed but here's my trip report from a few days in London around Christmas:

Hache Burgers shoreditch - Stumbled in here like 11am because we were hungry and knew we wouldn't be eating for another nine hours. Did the job.

South place hotel - Nice hotel. We were lazy one night and decided not to leave. Food was good but not really memorable.

Dishoom (carnaby) - We went for brunch and it's as good as everyone says. We'll definitely be going back.

Dukes hotel - My girlfriend loves martinis, so someone told us to go here. I was definitely under-dressed, but whatever. I took my jacket off at one point and they told me to put it back on because I had short sleeves underneath. Fun experience watching them make the drinks, and they're strong as gently caress.

Savoy grill - tasting menu. this was absolutely incredible. It was like being on a mushroom trip, but only in your mouth. You know how people tell you that wine pairings are supposed to like, change the experience of the food? These actually did.
Standout courses:
* Arnold Bennet omelet - I have been eating the wrong omelets my entire life. It was so rich and so evenly cooked. The smoked haddock kinda gave it a ham-like flavor. I need to learn to cook this at home.
* Cheese plate - just like, really good cheese, served with fruit stuff and port wine. Great pairing.
* Beef wellington - I'm gonna be honest, we went to the savoy because we enjoy watching trashy Gordon Ramsay shows. One of the main dishes on his show is the beef wellington, and he gets pissed when people gently caress it up and smashes them with his fist or whatever. Eating this, I understand why someone would be pissed if you hosed it up. It's real good. Since we got back, we've been trying to find a beef wellington of similar quality in NYC and none of them meet the bar.

We're probably going back to London this summer. What are some other places with bougie tasting menus like Savoy?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

we've been trying to find a beef wellington of similar quality in NYC and none of them meet the bar.

I'll save you a ton of time and effort - it doesn't exist. Learn to make it at home or just wait until you can go back.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Mammalian posted:

So previously I mentioned GReat in Clerkenwell (9 min walk from farringdon station) and was talking about the deli, which is great, hadn't yet been to the restaurant.

Well I went, I got a yeeros wrap with chicken and lamb (the beef was out of stock), salad and chips. 6.90.

I'm kind of underwhelmed though. Anyone been here and can recommend something specific? Is the takeaway menu just not as good? I read "best yeeros in London, hell, the UK!" and expected more than an average kebab/weird burrito.

I'm a massive fan of kebabs when I'm hungry enough, but not a big fan of burritos, also the sauce, the SAUCE, it was ALL at the top, so I had basically two giant slices of tomato covered in garlic sauce, and a little bit of lamb, and then 4 bits of lamb all together further down, lmao.

Maybe because I came during rush hour?
Don't know if it's the kind of thing you're thinking of, but the kebabs from the German Donna Kebab chain are loving great.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I had decent beef wellington at Rules restaurant. Im not a connoisseur so dont know if it is up to American standards though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Any recommendations around the Greenwich area? I'm British, my wife is American, neither of us are Londoners. If there's a good Ethiopean place nearby I'd be especially interested. :)

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Zeret Kitchen in Camberwell is excellent, not super close to Greenwich but not terribly far. In Greenwich check out The Green Pea for solid traditional Sunday roast or pie and chips done right.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
At Greenwich market on the weekend, theres a ton of food stalls, and I know there was an Ethiopian one last time I visited. Its not quite a sit down restaurant, but it might be enough?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
My Greenwich market picks are Ramen Burgers and the big sauce-filled churros.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone know of a decent spot near Kew Gardens - preferably British/European as it's for my mum and she's very unadventurous

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

El Grillo posted:

Anyone know of a decent spot near Kew Gardens - preferably British/European as it's for my mum and she's very unadventurous

Glasshouse is decent modern European. Not sure exactly what counts as too adventurous but check the sample menus, it's modern but not like Scandinavian fine dining menu: tears, foam, ant modern.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

El Grillo posted:

There's a couple of really nice pubs along the north side of the river on stroud on the green. All do perfectly decent pub food and ales and it's a nice walk to get to them.

City barge and the bulls head were my two most frequent haunts when I rowed near there.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Maids of Honour is also there if you want a super old school, non fancy afternoon tea. Also great cakes!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Thanks folks! Really helpful

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Can anyone recommend some Asian places? Hoping to find something fun and communal like hotpot/korean bbq/japanese bbq. Doesn't even need to be Asian but I'm not really familiar with that style outside of East Asian ones.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Xun posted:

Can anyone recommend some Asian places? Hoping to find something fun and communal like hotpot/korean bbq/japanese bbq. Doesn't even need to be Asian but I'm not really familiar with that style outside of East Asian ones.

I'll always recommend Imperial China for lunch purely because their lunchtime dim sum menu is fantastic and they can serve large parties. I wouldn't bother with them for dinner menus though.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My wife and I had an early dinner at dishoom before a show a couple weeks ago. The food was good but not very spicy. Im still thinking about that okra, though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
For Korean BBQ, I've tried Kalbi in Clerkenwell/Farringdon, and really enjoyed that. Menu is confusing as hell though.

I've also had Superstar BBQ recommended to me, which is just off Shaftesbury Ave, at the Tottenham Court Road end. I've not been, but I will.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Xun posted:

These reviews stuck in my head
https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...re_iOSApp_Other

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jan/27/olle-london-puts-diners-on-display-restaurant-review?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

God, Jay Rayner is a good writer.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
A wong is decent. Not cheap though

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

God, Jay Rayner is a good writer.

Aint he though.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I've had dinner at Dishoom in Shoreditch today. They said the wait would be an hour but it was maybe 35 minutes.

The food was great. Had the Chicken Tikka, Jackfruit Byriani and black Daal, with Dishoom Slaw and a Raita as side dishes.

It was well worth the wait and they are extremely friendly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Heading back to the homeland in a couple of weeks after a few months away. Whats new in London?

I checked out Wingstop last time I was around to compare to the US ones Ive been in. It all felt a little weird, honestly. No cash? gently caress that. Also, in the US you can half and half the flavours on your order, but not here.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Heading back to the homeland in a couple of weeks after a few months away. Whats new in London?

I checked out Wingstop last time I was around to compare to the US ones Ive been in. It all felt a little weird, honestly. No cash? gently caress that. Also, in the US you can half and half the flavours on your order, but not here.

One of my favorite places to grab lunch is currently Two Lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
I'm taking my girlfriend for dinner on her birthday in a couple weeks and was going to do steak at Hawksmoor - I know it's tried and true, and neither of us have done steak there yet, just Sunday roast. But I waslooking around and found Lurra in Marylebone, which does Basque beef - ex-dairy cows over 14 years old - anyone tried there?

I recently tried an ex dairy rib eye our local butcher had, and it is quite unique. Very intense beefy flavour and fat, which is a yellow colour due to the grass diet and age. If you like steak definitely worth a try if you can find it.

Anyway if anyone has an opinion on Lurra would be appreciated, otherwise I know I can't go wrong with Hawksmoor.