Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Went to Opium on Friday as a New Year treat. Lovely staff and absolutely amazing drinks, but you'll be lucky to get out of there without at least a 100 quid bill.

It's a bit apples to oranges, but so much better than a recent Yautcha trip. Worst service I've ever recieved in a restaurant, this place used to be so great, so sad .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Raffles posted:

Could I get some recommendations from the London goon hivemind on some decent Chinese or Thai places in or near Chinatown?

Depending on how big or small you want to eat Jen Cafe and the hawker stall/Sichuan(?) restaurant next door are really great. Gonna second Ba Shan as well, good atomsphere nice food.
For dim sum Dumpling's Legend is OK, the food is good (especially for Chinatown), but the service is really, really bad because they are so busy. The price-tastiness ratio is OK if you're willing to wait. I think they supply Opium, so if you're not that pekish and have cash to burn go there instead.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

Chili Cool in Bloomsbury is a really great Sichuan place btw. If you can go with a few people so you can try lots of dishes, we had an incredible one with mushrooms in it but I can't remember what it was called. As a bonus it's next to the book shop used as the outdoor front for the Black Books bookshop.

Don't go there with Chinese friends if they're Canto, they'll be unrelenting shits to you. That said the food is great!

Also I wish Goons with Spoons wasn't public because fff things I could say about Albannach.

Loving Africa Chaps Go back and try the apricot soufle! I can never get anyone to try it with me, they're always "too full" (pah!) but seem to manage just fine without me. Anyway, I'm reasonably informed that it's even better than all of the other deserts!

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

sweat poteto posted:

Had Shoryu Ramen on Regent St last night. Very very good - only one vege thing on the menu but I'm not complaining. Get the pickled mustard leaves on top.

Think they're still doing 50% off today at the new soho popup so any goons not put off by the Maggie festivities should go down today. Haven't been to Bone Daddies myself but friends say it gets mega busy, they also said it was great so ymmv.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

There are quite a lot of fancy korean places in London (Asadal etc) and the food is nice, but unless you specifically want to go somewhere fancy I would skip them. Lico (little corea) in Chinatown is cheap and tasty and famously offers many dishes with 'mixed vag'. Best place of all is the korean pub in rotherhithe, food is not mindblowing but where else could you have bbq in an edwardian pub with men with dogs onna string drinking fosters (!) and arguing about millwall while you have 3l of makkori. It is amazing!

Also avoid the places off TCR all but one of them is super gross and not worth it. Supermarket is ok if you want to takeaway though.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

therattle posted:

Dean Street Townhouse is good for afternoon tea, and not super pricey. I imagine the Wolseley and Delauney do good ones too.

Delauney cafe is not very plush and full of shitey dictator daddy LSE types in the afternoon. Restaurant is very pleasant at lunch, gets a bit suity at dinner, but it's not really a 'proper' afternoon tea. St John's hotel alternative afternoon tea is smashing if they still do it, but not very trad either. Also it's worth checking if wherever you go does refils if you plump for afternoon tea, FYI Ritz doesn't.

I've had tea at Brown's Hotel, very good, (edit: apparently they do refils now), give you samples of your teas as little presents and it has a smashing cocktail bar attached, but you might be out of the window for booking depending on when you're coming to the UK. Fortnum and Mason is very nice as well, very trad and good quality of food, no refills either though. If you want to knock out a two for one and do something cultural the Wallace Collection also had a very good afternoon tea last time I went, be prepared for £££ because the cocktails are amazing but not cheap and you will want them even with afternoon tea.

Rolled Cabbage fucked around with this message at May 5, 2013 around 19:07

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

My mum's birthday is coming up and I'd like to take her out somewhere nice. Problem is she's a retiree and eats out all the time, her favourite is the Delauney but they eat there so often that it's not so special anymore. Other favourites are St Johns, Hawksmore, Terroir, Dehesa, Honey & Co and the Modern Pantry. Any suggestions?

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

I would just check out twitter if I was you, otherwise http://twentysomethinglondon.com/ is ok?

Tim Anderson, Marina O'Loughlin, Tsuru, Sat Bains, Hollow Legs and a bunch more that are currently escaping my memory tend to tweet about what's going on even if it's not directly related to them. If you look up a bunch of places you like and follow them for a little bit, you should be able to pick out people who chat about these things alot.

Edit: If you're interested in bussinessy things it also worth following places like sauce communications that do foodie PR, you'll get lots of press releases that way.

Rolled Cabbage fucked around with this message at Feb 6, 2014 around 12:55

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Spuckuk posted:

I'm staking my money on this, Liverpool ahead of the curve as they just opened the first Korean restaurant in the city*

*the average meal out up here is so god-drat disappointing after London. Hundreds of chinese restaurants, all total poo poo.

I was going to defend the honour of Koreana and Yang Sing... then I remembered they were in Manchester. Says it all! :/

I'm not sure how quick Korean would be to catch on as a trendy thing, burgers have the advantage of not being 'scary' for people who want their hand held which is what made it so genius. Also Korean food is a 'bad' 'unhealthy' Asian food like Chinese, not 'good' Asian like Japanese which will make you live forever and cure cancer. ugh. Whatever, more yukhoe, mmm.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Go to A Wong in Victoria, it is amazing. I also really recommend Hakkasan off TCR.

Lots of the nice Chinatown places aren't Cantonese but Taiwanese etc. with some Cantonese dishes. TPT is really great, they have a Taiwanese hawker theme, but lots of HK dishes. Imperial China is also really good if you want something more swanky. I also seem to remember Empress of Sichuan doing really nice HK style fresh seafood for some reason, but I'm not sure if it's still the case.

If you're going somewhere with Granny for the long weekend the dim sum afternoon tea at the Imperial in Victoria is nice too.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Lupita is really, really great and it's owned by some famous Mexico City taquería (El Farolito if that means anything?) so I'm assuming it's fairly authentic.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Japan Centre on Piccadilly have a stand, and there are a couple floating around in Chinatown near the pagoda. If you were going to Chinatown though, I'd go to Jen Cafe and get some fresh dumplings, then hit up the skewers place next door. Hope you love corriander!

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

kim jong-illin posted:

Personally I'd go down to Covent Garden and go to Dishoom - http://www.dishoom.com/covent-garden/

I will second this, Dishoom's brekkie is delicious.

Also worth a look in Covent Garden, Balthazar - http://balthazarlondon.com/

If you have a bit of time to spare on Saturday or Sundays the brunch at Roka Canary Wharf (http://rokarestaurant.com/canary-wharf/en/menu/brunch/) is awesomely good value. Do go hungry though, there is more than enough food.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

I made the mistake of looking at the Time Out website at the weekend and its suggestions were total pants. 50% expensive and obvious hotel restaurants, 50% ???. Like recommending Opium as a dim sum restaurant. Their food is nice, but it is by no stretch of the imagination a restaurant. Might as well as add Mahiki in there too if that's the case.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

I thought Time Out wasn't supposed to do paid reviews? Or has that gone the way of the dodo now the pay version got scrapped?

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Again, I'm spoiled with Mexican food. It was also a stone's throw from Westminister. I wasn't expecting anything authentic. I forgot to mention, they totally forgot a side I ordered but at

When you come back, please come to Kent and visit our one Mexican restaurant. Your mind will be blown by their especial... Chicken Kiev

Kaiho posted:

They definitely feature in return for pay. Whether that's the case with reviews I don't know.

Just surprised. I am p. certain my old place never paid and we got a fair amount of coverage, oh well I am ~forever free~ now and don't have to deal with that crap....

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Someone said it was because of the really great milkshakes? But then I went there and the one near me doesn't do milkshakes, so...

Edit: Over christmas I went to HKK and I think it was the best meal I've had in a restaurant for the last 10 years. The staff are really good, but still friendly.

Rolled Cabbage fucked around with this message at Jan 10, 2015 around 17:51

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

What are opinions on big number birthday suitable ribs type places? Been to the one on the corner near carnaby st (name escapes me) and thought it was nice but not wow.

Alternately good dim sum or sushi suggestions also welcome. We went to HKK for my birthday recently and to alan wong last year for his, as well as rokka, yautcha and hakkasan, so somewhere outside of those would be nice to try.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Terroirs, Hawksmore and Opera Tavern are all nearby. Not sure if you'd have to book for lunch or not though. Terroirs and Opera are easily in my top 5 restaurants in London, and worth stopping by even if you can't do for lunch.

Also not so much a 'recommendation' as such, but you should also stop by the Chandos for a pint if you've never done it.

Also thank you reality_groove for the recommendation!

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Can anyone suggest somewhere good for cocktails near bank?

Two caveats: Partner will be coming straight from Eurogamers (and will look like it) and I am gimpy so nowhere that is standing room or has horrible furniture.

Went to Brasserie Zedel bar a few weeks ago and it was full of oligarchs on a stag night (not sure why they'd escaped their city/kennsington prison, but hey...), their perfect manhatten is perfect though.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Lady Gaza posted:

Not really 'eating' in London but this seems like the best thread for it. Does anyone have recommendations for independent shops where I can pick up decent roasted coffee beans? Ideally round the Holborn area, but most of central would be fine.

Not mega central, but Monmoth Coffee have an outpost in Covent Garden and there's HR Higgins in Mayfair if you want to get super fancy.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

I didn't like Latana. The food was nice, but it was made painfully obvious that we weren't cool enough to get served before the trail of 'hip' customers that came in over half an hour after us. Really infuriating when you can see the sodding brownie you ordered sitting on the counter top. Although nothing can beat Fork Deli in Russel Sq. (tied with Bibendum). If anyone wants to experience a New York coffee house without getting on the plane go there. You will be lucky if your food is not literally thrown at you.

Conversely I've never had anything but absolutely amazing service at brunchy spots like Modern Pantry, Proper & Sons and Honey and Co. so really they can do better.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Going to Foxlow for dinner soon, has anyone from here been?

It was great but don't go with babby mouths that get weirded out by the idea of pickled cabbage (table next to us got kind of weirdly and vocally upset about the concept of kimchi).

Also get all of the cocktails and less of the goat butter things.

Also go for breakfast too.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Hyper Japan is also on this weekend, so that's something to consider I guess...

I heard that Ippudo treat their staff very badly (like not paying minimum wage badly) does anyone know if that is still the case? I know lots of expats won't go there as a result.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Mons Hubris posted:

Ah, I was looking at Mayfair. Yeah Hakkasan doesn't seem too bad if you get everything they list on those signature menus. And thank you for all the breakfast recommendations, that's fantastic.

Also meant to ask, have any of you all been to A. Wong? That was one we were looking at as an alternative to Hakkasan or Yauatcha.

A Wong is wonderful, but if you want dim sum and cocktails specifically you are better of at Hakkasan as these are not their special area. Alternatively, if you like more general dishes I would plump for HK Kitchen over Hakkasan. Its the same restaurant group, but more fine dineingsy.

Edit: Skip Yautcha over either of the other two. Hakkasan has similar fancy puddings if that's what attracted you, Yautcha has really poor service these days and they will try to charge you for the expensive wine they gave to another table. I would say it's the worst service I've had in the UK, but I went to Bibendum earlier this year so Yautcha sits at no. 2 now.

Rolled Cabbage fucked around with this message at Jul 29, 2015 around 09:47

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Brunched at Modern Pantry today, the best brunch in recent memory for sure. Also excited to hear they're opening a sort of tapas style place next month.

Had lunch at Chick N Sours in Dalston yesterday and holy poo poo it was good. The chicken was the best I've ever had but they serve this picked watermelon rind that I actually cannot stop thinking about. Must go back ASAP.

Noooo OP noooooo! I went there twice in the first two weeks of opening and still had to queue up before opening time. Don't tell people about it or I'll never get to go back!

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Jubo is good if you want KFC, but is not a 'Korean' restaurant in the sense that there are cocktails instead of pint glasses of sochu. Still really, really good chicken though. 2nd only to Chikn Sourz or the Foxlow.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Dishoom is great for brunch! I would also add the Delauney (Aldwych) and Foxlow (Clerkenwell).

Sadly, The Modern Pantry is a bit of a mess atm and I would avoid for the immediate future. Chef has gone on maternity and kitchen seems to sort of exploded... we had an incident there recently, which, in fairness to them they offered to comp an entire meal for multiple people, but shows how er 'incidenty' it was. Give them a pass for next few weeks.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

teacup posted:

Melbourne, Australia ... snobby as this sounds

lol

Just go to Otto Lenghi, take a poo poo load of selfies of you and your coffee along with all the Americans and then complain about how poo poo British food is when you go back.

sweat poteto posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-uk-restaurants

I've lived in London for 8 years now and I haven't been to a single one of these, unless counting siblings of Koya and St Johns.

edit: from the article (for mini reviews of all these see link above)

Rules, Opera Tavern, Honey & Co, A Wong and Barrafina Adelaide Street are as good as they're made out to be in my experience. Laffo at Bob Bob Ricard and The Clove Club though, Bob Bob Ricard is rude as all poo poo and pains in the rear end and Clove Club is just overrated. Not horrible, but not in the top 10 by any stretch, similarly Brunswick House, which really felt like being at one of those antique tourist attractions and had nice food, but certainly not 'holy poo poo best thing ever'.

Edit: I realise these are *her* favourite restaurants, but still..

Rolled Cabbage fucked around with this message at Oct 26, 2015 around 15:29

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

No opinion either way about 5 Guys burgers, but their grilled cheese is pro-choice.

The best one I can remember is Chickn Sourz but for beef burgers I like Bountiful Cow. They reaaaly like beef and it shows.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Bierschenke is better for drinky drink outings, plus they have all you can eat sausage buffets.

If it's proper food OP is after, Delauny can't be beat. Best spatzle I've ever had.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

There was supposed to be a really excellent sushi restaurant somewhere near Euston and I cannot now find it... (Not Mai). I have a sad feeling I may be thinking of the closed Sushi of Shiori. Does anyone know what it's called?

Edit: It was Sushi Tetsu! However, the minimum £50pp is a bit jarring. I saw this at Ikeda too and got a bit pissed off. Particularly if you're going to for lunch it seems like you have to go for the uni sashimi to reach it :/

It's for a tenth anniversary so I am looking for somewhere quite formal and traditional, for kaiseki or sushi if anyone has other recommendations.

Basically anywhere where you do not get fried sushi or that pathetic salad with Kewpie dressing.

Rolled Cabbage fucked around with this message at Jul 3, 2016 around 15:06

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

peanut- posted:

A Wong is superb. I suggest going for lunch so you get the dim sum though, I've never tried their evening menu.

Imma second this and say that you can get some dim sum at dinner too, but the non-sum is aces tooo. Also when I was last there they had rocking ice cream, so maybe combine trips instead of gelato?

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Kalenden posted:

Thanks for the suggestions!

We are slowly zooming in -- Ledbury is on the list so far.

Would like two exotic options and thinking of Gymkhana for Indian (though is a 2 hour turnabout not rushed for the tasting menu?) and unsure about the Chinese option. Hakkasan was mentioned but they are present throughout the world so would rather avoid it. How is HKK and what do you guys think of Awong? http://awong.co.uk/

Both look incredible!

A Wong is very, very good. HKK is amazing though. HKK also do slightly more cocktails and dim sum (if that is your thing). However, A Wong is definitely London only since they used to be a takeaway.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

There is Royal China which is more traditional. But really they are the best.

As for other exotic things, how about Japanese? There is Araki - the most expensive sushi restaurant in the world.

Also the less crazy priced Engawa. The company that run Engawa run the dining room at the Diet. I haven't eaten at Engawa itself, but if their food is at all similar you won't be disappointed.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Go to Oklava instead and die happy.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

It's cold enough that St. John's might be doing eccles cakes, which are very British, but not very London otherwise, so good chance to try if you're not travelling oop north. Have with a slice of sharp cheddar and some port/sherry for maximum experience.

You could try going to a pie and mash shop or somewhere with jellied eel. But only go to the one on Chapel Market etc. not the posho hipster ones in Islington.

Afternoon tea is also probably worth it, but again, pick venue carefully (not a patisserie valerie/cafe royale). The Rose Room at the Sofitel near Piccadilly is very good and not too pricey at about £30 a head.

Also go have a scotch egg, the deli down from Haggerston train station does really excellent ones and they have some good cakes and local beer/soft drinks, so worth stopping off at if you're in the area.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

My vote is for Zedel. You can get a set menu for about £19 which is painfully French (may be plus or minus). This is Jay's review in the Graun: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...brasserie-zedel

Last time I visited there was after a ball because it was the only place still serving cocktails that you wouldn't look weird in black tie at. I am a poor student and we managed about 2 cocktails each before running out of cash, so...

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Atariya's deluxe chirashi is the best value sushi anywhere in London. It is what I get every single time I have a celebration. Also SKY (part of atariya) is the best JP-UK importer, their sake is always really nice.

Went to On The Bap today and it's good, but I strongly recommend never to go there except at peak off times. We rolled up at 6pm on a Monday evening and had to wait an hour for a table for 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

I'll take that off your hands! I'm in outer London, but come into central about once a week and would be more than willing to detour for booze.

«2 »