Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

There's a pretty good Indonesian/Malay restaurant on Shaftsbury Ave. called Bali Bali.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

woofay posted:

i'm poor as hell at the moment since xmas - but i've been craving a bodeans for weeks

Waitrose do a line of American BBQ stuff now - the ribs are 4.99 and are melt in the mouth tender. Definitely fills my bodeans fix.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

We'll be down the block from Goldhawk Road Station. The rates for the studio are pretty good, less than I've paid for hotel rooms on the majority of my vacations. Hopefully that's not because it's in a lovely neighborhood, I just don't know enough about the city to gauge that. Then again, I get the impression nowhere in London is as bad as, say, Atlanta or some of the seedier parts of DC, which I've successfully navigated without getting raped or murdered, so I'm not that concerned.

Anyplace right by there that I should definitely try, or do I need to go further afield to sample awesome restaurants?

It's one stop from Hammersmith which has good links to almost everywhere. It might even be walkable to Hammersmith. There's a really good and reasonably cheap Persian restaurant in Hammersmith called Mahdi. Go for the mixed grill.

But as Neris points out there's almost no reason to stay in your area to eat. You can get almost anywhere in zone 1 and 2 (you'll be in zone 2) in under an hour. There are probably more places to avoid in deep Central London though but if you check out reviews and have a rough idea everything has probably been documented to death because it's all so high traffic.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 17, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Double Happiness posted:

Has anyone ever been to "The Diner" in Camden? I'm seeing very mixed reviews online. Their website is http://www.goodlifediner.com/.

Also, not sure if it really counts as London but does anyone know any good places to eat in Kingston-Upon-Thames? Just moved here and dying to find somewhere good to eat!

the New Kam Tong is a great chinese restaurant! other than that you're mostly stuck with a bunch of midrange chains. There's a Jamie Oliver restaurant which might be worth checking out

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Neris posted:

I haven't been to chicken shop but some diehard Nandos devotees (yes, they exist) in my office were MASSIVELY unimpressed. Probably says more in favour of Chicken Shop though, tbh. Sounds like I might have to give it a shot.

I will never understand the cultural fascination with Nandos and why people are so compelled to tweet/facebook when they're there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

therattle posted:

Nonsense. Nando's is pretty good. The chicken is tasty and free-range, the chips are good, and so are most other sides. Its cooked to order and not sitting in a heating cabinet. It's decent-quality proper food: miles better than a KFC or (insert US state or descriptor here) Fried Chicken. I don't love it or post on FB about it, but I eat at Nando's every now and again and I enjoy it. I'm pretty picky, by the way.

Yeah, it's not *bad* but just everyone bangs on it about it like it's the second coming. Like the obsession with percy pigs. It might just be that I'm in a weird niche industry that's unreasonably obsessed with Nandos and Percy pigs.

For the price point of a Nandos I'd probably take Wagamamas over them every time for mid-tier chain dining.