Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh awesome, one of my favourite threads is back! I've been meaning to hit up Meat Liquor since it opened.. Maybe tomorrow. And I'll have to try the Hawksmoor since I've apparently walked past it half a dozen times without noticing. Is there any preference on Spitalfields or Seven Dials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

therattle posted:

Had Bodean's beef ribs recently. They were tender enough, but the meat itself lacked flavour.

That's pretty much my quibble about Bodeans all over. It's good enough, it's just never huge on flavour.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

In the spirit of insanity, I'm going to try and go to Pitt Cue's new place tonight.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Half hour-40 minute wait, currently. Drinking their 'Whatever' own brew beer. Very... Generic.

Oh hey, I didn't press post. Just got out.. Oh god so delicious. I recommend the burnt end mash for a side. I had the special Pulled Pig's Head for 9.50 with brisket for an extra 5. I am so full and sated. The dining area is TINY though. 18 seats total. But yay, so good. I wa sat next to the lady who runs the Londoner food blog.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Went to Meat Liquor yesterday. Pretty good burgers, but not the best ever like some have claimed. I had a Dead Hippy and my companion had a Mushroom Swiss. What blew us away were the chilli cheese fries, though. So many! So spicy! Between us, we couldn't finish them.

I liked the decor/atmosphere, reminded me of at least 3 different dive-y bars in the US I can think of. The parabolic dome ceiling where you can hear the people 16 ft behind you in perfect clarity like they're standing right next to your ear is very weird. But overall, pretty good. I'd definitely go again. :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

reality_groove posted:

Had a cheap and cheerful dinner at Little Bay in Farringdon. Half price off all food (excluding specials) at the moment, meaning you can easily get 3 courses for around a tenner. It lacks finesse and definitely not somewhere you'd take someone you're trying to impress, but there's nothing overtly offensive about it.

My family and I go to the one in Kilburn on a fairly regular basis, and we always like it. The Battersea one was best before it burnt down. :(

EDIT: I just tried to go to their site, but I'm on my iPhone. Death to restaurant websites built entirely with Flash. :argh:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 2, 2012

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Beasteh posted:

Recommending Navajo Joe in Covent Garden if you like Southwest American food

http://www.navajojoe.co.uk/

Really nice vibrant atmosphere, impressive interior, good mojitos!

Ugh, loving DEATH to restaurant websites built in Flash. And who decided PDFs were to be the standard for displaying menus?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I think I speak for most Londoners when I say we are already suffering from Olympics Fatigue. Roll on September...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So I keep hearing how Brazilian BBQ is basically meat meat meat and they laugh if you ask for veggies, which I'm all in favour of. Where's good to start in town?

I know there used to be a place on Maiden Lane, but I think that's long gone now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

My husband wants to rent a Mini :rolleyes:

Unless you're planning on going outside London, you don't need a car. The tube goes almost everywhere, and buses go everywhere else. Also, to drive in Central London is [a] absolute hell and [b] expensive. We have a congestion charge of £10 a day to drive in Central London.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/congestioncharging/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

sweek0 posted:

I don't think I've ever really heard of anyone actually enjoying the whole Stonehenge thing. I've just driven past it and it's just not all that amazing I think.

Bill Bryson has a great bit in 'Notes from a Small Island' about how the interest threshold at Stonehenge is about 11 minutes. You can't go up to it, you can't touch it, so you just look at it from about 100ft away and... pssh, that's it, really.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm right in Spitalfields this morning and might have to treat myself to a St John bacon sandwich.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Haché's alright. Good food, but the time I went, I left hungry still. The burger I had was tiny! I could have gone for one double the size.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

reality_groove posted:

I just got a Gourmet card, does anyone else have one and have any recoomendations for good restaurants that are on the scheme?

Gourmet's selection of places is pretty slim, to be honest. My mum got one and realised the only local places were Cafe Rouge and Pizza Express.

You're better off getting a TasteLondon card. Much better selection and value.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ah, you want American Mexican which doesn't really exist over here. I lived in the US for 5 years and I miss my Taco Bell infusions, so I know how you feel.

There's a TB waaaay the gently caress out at Lakeside, which seems a particularly daft place for it. There's also a Chipotle on Charing Cross Rd which offers a decent fast foody burrito, if not exactly how Chipotle do it back in the US (refried beans! It needs them!).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, the Chipotle is a sad shadow of its American siblings. But that's the problem, aside from that and the couple of Taco bells that have turned up like some staggeringly lost tourists, the tex-mex you and I want just isn't here. Not even just crappy copies, it barely exists in the first place.

Of course, London being the great gastronomic city it is, you can get proper real Mexican at places like Wahaca, but not the pale imitation you actually desire.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Really? I love me a Philly cheesesteak, where's that?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My blood pressure is raised just reading it and imagining. I want to punch every imaginary face.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Popcorn posted:

Anyone know of any good, authentic ramen joints in London? I've been craving a good bowl since I left Japan.

Try Misato on Wardour Street. It's cheap, very good, with huge portions, and is always full of Japanese people.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Just come out of Hawksmoor Seven Dials after dinner with two American friends. One friend and I shared a 900g porterhouse between us, and the other guy had the ribeye. Absolutely hands down the best steak I've ever had. We all had mac & cheese sides, and I had the beef dripping chips too, because I am a fat bastard. All of it was amazing and delicious. I ended up having at least 2/3rds of the porterhouse, and one and a half portions of the mac & cheese. I am so very full in the best way.

My one regret is having no room for dessert. Some of them sounded delicious, especially the sticky toffee pudding with clotted cream! Next time, Hawksmoor, next time!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

angor posted:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone eaten at Incanto in NW London? Thoughts?

That's just around the corner from me, and I've never eaten there, but friends have and they've said it's pretty middling. The food is fine, but doesn't live up to the pretentiousness of the place. It really thinks its a hell of a lot better than it is.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Neris posted:

edit: btw what's the best manky Chinese food in soho? I went to one yesterday in desperation after critical mass which was £4.95 for all you can eat but it was pretty dire. Would be good to know one which is still kind of gross greasy takeaway style but a step up from that...

I go to MW (aka the smart one of the Mr Wu chain) which is another buffet, but it's £8.50 and the extra money is so worth it as the selection and quality are vastly improved. It's still manky low-end chinese, but I'm fine with that.

I used to go to Poons on Leicester St before it closed (and the signs in the place there now which say 'formally Poons' are LIES, and the quality isn't even half as good as it was), so I need a new proper sit down Chinese place. I was thinking of trying Yauatcha tonight, maybe New World at some point in the next week.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DaveP posted:

Headed to Meat Liquor tomorrow, can't find a menu anywhere, what's the general prices?

£7-9 per burger if I remember. Fries about £4?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Were you sitting under the dome? That does weird things acoustically.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ragingstiffballs posted:

Camden town under the bridge, veitmanese, cheap, dirty, but good food, cooked by the cat.

With all the neon, at night that place looks like its the Blade Runner set. It's great. :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

By the Stables at Camden Market/Lock there's a bunch of little food stands under the bridge.

http://anglotopia.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/DSC01314.JPG

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

How is Dirty Burger?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Now they need to make one for Chinese.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hawksmoor Air Street is having a soft opening from 22nd October to 31st. Email airstreet@thehawksmoor.com with name, date, lunch/dinner, number of guests and phone number. It's 50% off during the soft opening so worth a definite look.

Also, the famed short rib French dip is coming to Seven Dials~~~!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I like the Taco Bell end (fnarr) of Mexican food, ie, cheap and horrible and great, but the Wahaca end does nothing for me, either.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The thought occurs that if you've got hours at Clapham Junction to kill, you can be back in the West End in 10 minutes...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm meeting an American friend tonight at Vauxhall at 830, what's still open and good around there? Reasonably priced please?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ooh, challenge accepted.

Back when I lived in the US, there was a sushi buffet place that was $10.99 at lunch times. It was all produced fresh by 4 sushi chefs in small quantities, and was very good quality and variety. Now I'm back in London I miss being able to gorge on sushi in that quantity, but understandably restaurants couldn't afford to do that here.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Friend and I went to MeatMarket tonight because I wanted to try their Philly cheesesteak.

Very disappointing. For a cheesesteak, it was missing both parts of that word. Minimal cheese, and very little steak, the gaps made up with large amounts of onions and green peppers. The taste was incredibly peppery too, to the point of overpowering any other flavour. I know what a Philly cheesesteak should taste like, having had many in my time, and this was by far the worst.

My friend ordered the black palace burger, and again, overloaded with onions. MeatMarket need to realise that just making their food really spicy isn't the same as being flavoursome. I'll stick to Bodean's for my hit of American chow.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'd say Hawksmoor is more about the steaks than their burgers.

MeatMarket is in Covent Garden is you haven't had enough burgers.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I feel like we should make an OP with "Coming to London? We recommend these places: Hawksmoor, etc" at this point.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

sweek0 posted:

Yeah I wouldn't mind helping with that either! A list of good coffee places would also be useful.

Ooh, yes, coffee places would be nice.

The Luxe in Spitalfields, Foxcroft & Ginger on Berwick St..

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It's true, Time Out and the Evening Standard like to go on about London's burgeoning food cart culture, but they are actually incredibly rare. Pitt Cue under Hungerford bridge is the only one I've seen and that's virtually permanent now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

Pitt Cue is pretty drat awesome though. But the portions need to be bigger, like Bodeans big.

I've only seen it closed. :saddowns:

I was in the actual restaurant opening night though, and that was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Alright, I'm in the west end, and I fancy a big chinese noodle soup with lots of meat for lunch. Where am I going?