Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

greazeball posted:

Looking for recommendations near the V&A for an early dinner. Hoping for Lebanese, Japanese, Indian, Pakistani but really open to most things as long as there are decent vegetarian options (one omnivore, one veggie). Under £20pp before drinks would be ideal.

For Japanese, Tombo is just around the corner. Very reasonable, and way under your budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The only thing I know about Whitstable is that Peter Cushing lived there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And white pudding.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Black pudding :colbert:

Both.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I am sorry to say that we’ve eaten more times at Subway and Burger King than we have anything else in this trip. Genuinely disappointed.

:frogout:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Prepare for disappointment.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, we haven’t really needed air-conditioning over here ever before. But with our summers getting hotter and hotter (and longer, it seems), the need is definitely growing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Huh, I've never been in a Burger and Lobster but I work close to the Bank one, so I thought I'd look at the menu. Dang that's a lot for a lobster roll.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ineptmule posted:

I’ve not been for ages. What’s the price these days?

£25 :negative:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There's Smack on Dean Street that does them for £16, or the lobster and shrimp for £12. That's far more reasonable.

EDIT: Huh, looking at the Smack website, it's actually an offshoot of Burger & Lobster, Didn't realise that.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 28, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh yeah, the no reservations thing is honestly ridiculous. You can make a reservation for breakfast or lunch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Glad you enjoyed it! I’m not sure I’d describe Hawksmoor as a dingy basement though. :P

My BF and I are planning on doing a tour of Japan, with a couple of stops in HK and Singapore as well, so I might hit you up!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

caberham posted:

Yeah sounds great, just skip Osaka and I know some Tokyo goons and food goons there, if it’s a weekend in japan I don’t mind going.

Baaaahhh so much for dieting. Anyways going to another curry place tonight

Well my friend lives in Ashiya by Osaka, so I have to go there...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, Dishoom definitely needs to sort out a reservations system for the evenings. That giant line just turns people away.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

therattle posted:

From their perspective, why do they need it if they are operating at full capacity all evening?

But it's very user-unfriendly for the customer. It means you can never plan a trip there without having to add in potentially an hour's wait, so it's useless for a date or if you're planning on eating before going to do something else.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Bear in mind also how much restauranteurs getal screwed by no shows at the moment. It prevents that problem completely

That’s going to be a small minority though. They should maybe do a mix of reservations and line up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, that wouldn't swing at all well in London. Dining here is not about speed at all. People want to savour the experience, enjoy the food, and not feel rushed doing so.

And I think afternoon tea is vastly overrated and expensive. The only good ones are those that will bring you more sandwiches/cakes. The ones that only offer one round of food are ridiculously overpriced.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

The one time I met with goons in London we went to Dishoom. We had a reservation though which I found odd. Maybe the King's X branch has a different system?

Did you go at lunch time or were there more than 6 of you?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hung’s in Chinatown has been shut down for health violations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Firstly, Borough isn’t really all that cheap. Lots of the stalls start at about £6-7 a dish.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

El Grillo posted:

Best Sichuan spots in Chinatown?

It’s not in Chinatown, but I’d highly recommend Chillicool on Leigh St by Kings Cross/the Brunswick.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If you had a bad time at Hawksmoor, it was almost certainly a one off. The one time I had a bad steak there, I told the waiter, and it was whisked away, and replaced with a new one not long after, and we got our drinks for free.

If you’ve got time on the 2nd, I’d recommend trying their Sunday roast. It’s very reasonable, and very good. Also, Yorkshire pudding the size of your head.

As for Christmassy stuff... avoid Winter Wonderland, go to the Christmas market on South Bank, by the Royal Festival Hall.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Ehhh. London's not great for Mexican/tex mex, unless someone wants to correct me.

Please someone correct me

You are not wrong.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

tentish klown posted:

We did just get a taco bell in hammersmith, with more coming this/next week! Yay for horrible pseudo texmex

Oh poo poo, Taco Bells in London, just as I move to Berlin? :argh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Berlin's got a Pret now.

I really don't know if I'm going with this as a potential consolation or

I never went into Pret when I lived in London, except for the cheap coffee.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Taco Bell is poo poo.

I acknowledge this, but also really love it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

There's one in Chichester for some reason.

The naked chicken taco was good, think it's still available. The special now is a three-level crunch wrap which is okay. The sharing platters look good and potentially soloable.

There is, and it’s really slow for some reason. My parents are about to move to that area, so when I found that out, it made me happy. Obviously the menu is only about 50% of what the US gets, but it’s decent as a stopgap.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, that’s not a thing restaurants get weird about. I’m going to assume someone had a boob hanging out or something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hmmm.. Duck & Rice on Berwick St? Although that said, you might as well just go to Yauatcha next door.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

angor posted:

Anyone been to Native? I hear good things: https://www.eatnative.co.uk/

Nothing about that menu looks fun or interesting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Here’s a different question... where to nap in central London?

I’m in town for the day, but I’ve been up a few hours already, and it’s only 9am and I’m already shattered. I’ve got a schedule for today with some gaps, and I’m plotting to grab a half hour here or there to power nap. But where?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I actually ended up just powering through and kept myself going all day. Slept like the dead when I finally got to bed.

My friend suggested the Barbican, which is also a good shout:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There’s a meme floating around about libraries seem to be the only spaces remaining that you can go to without the expectation to buy something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

El Grillo posted:

I love this little Bao cafe in Soho:
Bun House
24 Greek St, Soho, London W1D 4DZ
020 8017 9888
https://maps.google.com/?cid=16839359974626443726

Perfect for the end of a night out, chill out with a beer and loving delicious bao and watch the humans meander past.

You know they’ve got a cocktail bar downstairs that looks like 1960s Hong Kong to a tee?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

At Greenwich market on the weekend, there’s a ton of food stalls, and I know there was an Ethiopian one last time I visited. It’s not quite a sit down restaurant, but it might be enough?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

For Korean BBQ, I've tried Kalbi in Clerkenwell/Farringdon, and really enjoyed that. Menu is confusing as hell though.

I've also had Superstar BBQ recommended to me, which is just off Shaftesbury Ave, at the Tottenham Court Road end. I've not been, but I will.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

God, Jay Rayner is a good writer.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Heading back to the homeland in a couple of weeks after a few months away. What’s new in London?

I checked out Wingstop last time I was around to compare to the US ones I’ve been in. It all felt a little weird, honestly. No cash? gently caress that. Also, in the US you can half and half the flavours on your order, but not here.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I love Josephine’s on Charlotte Street. It’s a Filipino restaurant, and I’ve never had a bad meal there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Vlex posted:

Sell me on it - I have very mixed experiences with Filipino.

edit: not that it really means anything but the first review when i google it is 1-star.

Doesn’t sound like it’s worth justifying it to you, honestly.