Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Chains per se are not the end of the world if they provide decent food, consistently, and at a price. Independent is probably better so that there is a multiplicity of voices and choices in a market, but if the choices is between a decent chain and a lovely local independent, I'll have a chain meal, thank you very much.

We've had some East London recommendations; I work (and eat) in Soho, so I can talk about that:

Koya does fantastic udon. Not that strongly flavoured, but incredibly clean, well-defined ones with wonderfully textured udon. I love this place so much.

Koya was full the other day so I tried @Siam next door, and was pleasantly surprised. It was pretty decent Thai. I had flavourful, crispy, non-oily corn cakes, followed by a pad thai with a refreshing amount of tamarind sharpness, and certainly not too sweet.

Rosa's on Dean Street is also pretty decent Thai; both are better than busaba, which has, in my view, gone downhill.

If you want to treat yourself, Arbutus does an amazing set lunch: three courses for £17. They use cheaper cuts, like rabbit or lamb shoulder, and the dishes are not quite as sophisticated as the usual a la carte, but it is nonetheless wonderful food and incredible value.

I had a delicious lunch the other day at the Giaconda Dining Room; a small, old-school place serving old-school food, and doing it well.

I retain a soft spot for Fino, which is upscale tapas-style Spanish food.

In Friday I returned to Salt yard, where I hadn't been for a while, and really enjoyed my lunch there; everything was delicious.

At a similar level to Salt Yard, and cheaper than Fino, is tapas Brindisa 9formerly Tierra Brindisa), which I also really like.

Across the road from there is another fairly old-school bistro-type restaurant, Andrew Edmunds. Lovely.

Yauatcha is around the corner for dazzling high-end Chinese food and dim sum; or go for tea in the beautiful tea room and enjoy French-Chinese patisserie.

On the cheaper end of the spectrum, just across from Yauatcha is the fish and ships shop on Berwick Street, which is the best in Soho.

Alternatively, the wagon which is parked between the two, Pit Stop Cafe, does really good Malaysian/Singaporean food. There is always a queue.

Two more! Vasco and Piero's The Pavilion is another old-school classic serving very simple but absolute beautiful Italian food in a slightly shabby but charming setting.

A more modern alternative is Dean Street Townhouse, which is not cheap, but not extortionate either. This is a good option for lunch, breakfast, or even afternoon tea. the atmosphere is of an upscale modern members' club, but it isn't.

I could go on - Soho has a lot of good choices!

One more, but in N4 Stroud Green, where I live - Season Kitchen. Fantastic, with one of the best puddings I've ever eaten in the form of the rosemary chocolate pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweek0 posted:

I've tried to go to 500 so many times because it's so close, but I was never able to make a reservation for the same night or the next weekend - they seem ridiculously popular for a neighbourhood restaurant.

I've never made it but intend to - it's just about walking distance from me.

Does anyone know any good Ethiopian restaurants in N London? There's a fantastic one on Shoot-Up Hill, but it's a bit far.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

PainterofCrap posted:

I will be stepping off the train at St. Pancras in the second week of May as a rank tourist on a day trip from Paris. Looking for a decent pub with food (or food near it), possibly decent fish & chips.

Yes, I know I couldn't possibly get more touristy. Last time I was in London was 1977, and had many shandies (I was 14) at some frast old hole in the wall as well as my first shwarma at some place in SoHo that was amazing. So I'm a bit dated.

As far as I know the area near St Pancras is a bit of a culinary desert so you might have to go a bit farther. Great Queen Street in Holborn is excellent modern traditional English food (if that makes sense), in Holborn not TOO far from St Pancras. Probably not quite walking distance. The Eagle is the original British gastropub, not too far either. If you don't want to venture too far The Fellow in York Way is apparently quite good. The only good fish and chips I know is in Soho in Berwick Street.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Junior G-man posted:

Hey London types, can you help me out?

I'm going to be in London (staying just NW of Kensington Gardens) in the last week of february for 3 days.

I'm looking for two recommendations; one Indian (my mum's favourite) and one British/pub/gastropub. We're doing the Albert Hall thing on one of the days, so one of the two should (hopefully) be in that sort of area. I don't mind the tube a bit, but walking distance is always nice.

Budgetwise, I'm not too fussed about spending on good food, but no michelin-starred madness or 200 quid bills.

For the last day i'm going to try to get a lunch reservation at Dinner, here's hoping ...

Also, seeing that sweet list of cocktail joints, is there anywhere near Albert Hall that does a good cocktail and is a quiet(!) place where you can take your mother?

Edit: in the interest of doing my own homework, I did a little research and how does this strike:

1. dinner at great queen street pub
2. Pre-theater at Roti Chai
3. Lunch at Dinner by HB
Not sure about the others but I've recommended Great Queen St before; I really like it.

Had Bodean's beef ribs recently. They were tender enough, but the meat itself lacked flavour.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Senor_Happy posted:

Pitt Cue Co opens their new brick and mortar place tomorrow in Soho, if it's in line with the van it'll be cheaper and better than Bodeans.

Tell me more! What do they serve, and where is it? Ah. ç. A bit far for me, but not THAT far - I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I was in the area yesterday so I went to Pitt Cue Co to pick up a takeaway sandwich. The good: lovely friendly people. The owner had been sold some rum, and there was an open bottle on the counter that he and the staff had been tasting, so he offered me a nip, which warmed me nicely on the cold walk back to the office. However...the food was disappointing. Not in terms of flavour and texture (good), but it was a really small portion of brisket, onions, and slaw served atop a small half bun (no top half). It was literally about 10cm in diameter, and it wasn't like it was absolutely overflowing with topping. I do not have a big appetite, and I always go for quality over quantity, but it was really small - like large hors d'oeuvres size. I could have easily eaten two, and a good 50% more would have made it come close to a satisfying lunch. There wasn't that much brisket on it, and among the meaty pieces were two large pieces of fat. So while I enjoyed the flavour, I felt really unsatisfied by quantity - especially since I had paid £6.50 for it. I don't mind paying for quality (which is why I now go to Koya weekly - not cheap, but awesome), but I REALLY hate feeling like I've been ripped off, and £6.50 for that itty-bitty sandwich felt like a rip-off.

On another note, some colleagues and I had a very good meal at Barrica tapas bar on Goodge St. I thought it was about as good as Salt Yard, but cheaper. Every dish was good to excellent.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

RazorBunny posted:

My husband and I are planning a trip to London in the summer, and I've definitely bookmarked this thread as part of my prep :) Neither of us has ever been to the UK.

I did have one specific question: are there any particular pubs or restaurants that you'd recommend for getting really good hard ciders and/or ginger beer (either the alcoholic or non-alcoholic variety). We've tried the majority of the brands that get imported into the US. It doesn't have to be an in-house brew, though that would be even better, just places that have really good brands on tap.

He likes some of the sweeter ciders, but I prefer dry.

We can get Strongbow (my personal favorite), Blackthorn, and Magner's (which I know is made in Ireland ;)), and there are lots of really good American brands popping up, but I've always heard that there's a lot more to be had in England. I think there's only one ginger beer from the UK available here, Idris, which neither of us really liked, but I'd be interested to try other brands and in-house brews.

I'm not much of a cider drinker but I always understood those brands you listed to be part of the mainstream, the UK cider equivalent of a Miller or Bud. I am sure you could get better here. I think Aspall's does one, which is probably pretty good if their vinegar is anything to go by.

This looks like a good centrally-located pub with a wide variety of ciders.
http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/pubsandbars/bree-louise-info-12054.html

Or, y'know, you could do a 2-second google search for london pubs cider and get this:
http://www.ukcider.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Cider_Pub_Guide_to_London

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Refried Noodle posted:

Another prospective first-time visitor to London here. This thread is great! My girlfriend recently turned vegetarian and Mildred's will definitely be on the program. Any another places you would recommend for veggie goodness? We are staying on the South Bank if that helps.

If you want to splash out, Vanilla Black is rather good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

Man, I have heard nothing but bad things about Vanilla Black. Have you eaten there yourself? What did you reckon?

I have eaten there twice and enjoyed it both times. It isn't quite successful at doing what it sets out to do, but it comes pretty drat close. Decent reviews on london-eating and from newspapers.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

angor posted:

The Gate in Hammersmith.
http://thegaterestaurants.com/

Pied à Terre has a ridiculous looking veggie tasting menu.
http://www.pied-a-terre.co.uk/vegetarian-tasting-menu

Also, check out Rasoi for their Indian vegetarian tasting menu. I can confirm that their food is loving delicious.

W had dinner at L'Autre Pied, Pied a Terre's more casual sister, and my wife had a vegetarian meal which was absolutely sensational. Better than the veggie option at The Ledbury. I can't remember that much of it, except that the main was one of the best dishes I've eaten, veggie or non.

The Gate is very nice too, good call.

El Parador on Eversholt St is a tapas place with an extensive and fairly imaginative veggie menu (although I have not been there for years, to be sure).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

What's the word on Stroud Green/Crouch End - have just moved there.

I've heard good things about that Thai place - Cat's - or something. And there's apparently an amazing pizza place, a fairly hipsterish coffee place opposite a Tescos which was full of curly-haired glasses-wearing types and the smell of coffee coming out the door was divine.

Any suggestions?

Howdy neighbour! I live on Corbyn Street.

The coffee place is Vagabond, and it is REALLY nice. Really nice people who are not themselves hipsterish, with v good coffee, and excellent hot chocolate made by melting the choc of your choice (of 3) with hot milk. V good carrot cake. If you see a dark-haired woman with a cute baby and a sand-coloured monstrous bugaboo pram (a loaner) sitting there, that's my wife and son. She's there a lot!

Boulangerie Bon Matin food is not that good; I prefer the delicious crocque monsieur/madame at The Front Room.

Season, for a classy dinner, is great. Their chocolate rosemary pots are sensational. So much so that I've wangled the recipe from t'internet and made it myself. Amazing. I LOVE Season.

Cats Thai is OK, as is Petek. Serviceable without being excellent. Haven't been, but people love Dotori right at the bottom of SGR. Hana on Seven Sisters is not bad for Japanese, and corner 7 Sisters and Blackstock is a decent bagel bakery.

For Indian takeaway, Dinnerbox is fantastic although slightly variable. Good quality ingredients and proper spicing though.

Check out the discussions on stroudgreen.org - lots of restaurant discussion. Apparently Il Piccolo Diavolo on lower Crouch Hill is v good but have not been there.

In Crouch End there are no real stand-outs. WOW Japanese is pretty good, and Khoai Cafe Vietnamese is apparently good but my recent meals have been a bit disappointing. O's Thai is reasonable, as is banners, although slightly overrated. The tapas place is also OK without being that good. Oh! Thaitanic is pretty good - excellent corn cakes. They deliver!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

AMAZING. Thank you so much! The coffee place is really near to me, so I will absolutely check it out as I am a coffee fiend. And keep an eye out on all these other places too.
I went to the Faltering Fullback yesterday and loved it too. Seems like a great area.

I really like FF as I really love rugby and it's a rugby pub, and it has a very nice atmosphere. The garden area is great too, and the Thai food pretty decent for a casual night out. Where exactly are you?

The greengrocer just before Tollington Park/SGR on the left going up the road is newish and very nice.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Went to Hache last night and thought it was pretty good. OMG, the onion rings.

For those of you who are in Crouch End/Hornsey/Finsbury Park there is an AWESOME Thai place on Hornsey High Street called Thai Neung. Some of the best Thai I've ever had. The restaurant itself isn't much to write home about but delivery is all good.

We ordered from them on Monday. Either they were having a bad night or you don't know poo poo about food. Vegetable dumplings were fine, and had a very good ginger sauce. The pad thai was far too sweet (and I really like sweetness), and had no contrasting sour or acidic elements to balance it - just sweetness. This contrasted with the ginger mushroom stirfry, which was almost inedibly salty (and again, I like salty, and usually add salt to food, but this was gross). The green curry had a good flavour, which was aided by the lovely hairs I found in it (see pics below). We accidentally ordered two green curries, and had leftovers from the pad thai and stirfry, which was fine as we thought we'd have leftovers the next night, but it all went in the bin. I was disgusted. It was really loving bad. I am going to complain, but I don't want a free meal, as I never want food from there again.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

Okay, am totally avoiding that Thai place now :psyduck:

In other news, :siren: VEGETARIAN FOOD :siren: apparently very nice in this place Orchard, in Holborn.
Apparently the same people behind Vanilla Black!

Xarr, I'm no expert on Korean food, but I like Han Kang on Hanway street and Koba on Rathbone street.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mynameisbatman posted:

It's embarassing to admit but I've never really tried falafel more than once or twice. What I was getting at though is that paying 7 or 8 quid for a burrito is really a loving rip-off and it's just a horrible thing to do.

Maoz is good stuff. £7-8 for a burrito is a bloody rip-off, I agree.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Not London but has anyone here tried to get a table at Noma?
It will be London as they are doing a pop-up at Claridges.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mourning Due posted:

Just chiming in to say that Lemon-Shaped Rock and I tried Navarros the other week, and it was absolutely delicious! I've never tried squid-ink anything before, but we had baby squid and squid ink rice as one of our dishes, and it was a definite stand-out. All of the items we had were totally fantastic, and while it did feel a little cramped, all in all a fantastic meal.

Fino does the most amazing arroz negro topped with some pieces of squid, which is just sensational. No doubt Navarro's is good, but I can't imagine that it's better than the Fino one. I am literally salivating thinking about it (and their garlic olive oil mash).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

I went to Vagabond's, behind Finsbury Park with my mate on Sunday and we tried the americano, latte, hot chocolate and mocha and all of it was divine. I also had a piece of their fruit bread, which came with butter and it was yummy.

Great little coffee shop.
Bad pic, but look at the foam! And it was super cozy in the rain. Lovely staff as well. Will definitely be returning.

Yes! It's great, innit?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

Not really London but I finally got down to Terre a Terre in Brighton. loving amazing, every single thing :) I need grana padana crusted fried green olives every day.

Mmm, that's good eatin'. They do amazing salted caramel chocolate truffles too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The rule is never go to buffet restaurants unless it's the Carlton Beach in Cannes. :colbert:

New World is decent for dim sum, and Yauatcha is fantastic - although neither cheap nor greasy.

I've done most of those vegetarian restaurants - The Gate and Manna are indeed very good. There's also Orchard, the Vanilla Black sister restaurant that is apparently good, as discussed here previously.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bollock Monkey posted:

Yup, Finsbury Park/Highbury and Islington are pretty much the ideal places! Tottenham itself sucks for food, unless you fancy greasy chicken etc.
Apparently Il Piccolo Diavolo on Crouch Hill is v good for cheapish casual but tasty Italian food. Just up from there is The Noble for Sunday pub lunch, as are The Stapleton and the Old Dairy. These are Finsbury park.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

RazorBunny posted:

Well, today we leave - we're sitting in the terminal at Heathrow now.

Here are all the places in London we managed to eat:
Meat Liquor
Princi
Byron
Wahaca
The Real Greek
Archduke
The Old Brewery (Greenwich)
Punjab
The cafe in the crypt at St. Martin-in-the-fields
Junction Tavern (Kentish Town)

There was also a quick breakfast at Willows in Andover and dinner at one of the various Beefeater Grill locations (this one was in Reading). The former was very good and quaint, the latter was not bad for a chain restaurant. Since it was the Fourth of July we had a slice of apple pie for dessert.

We tried to go to the Bull and Last after we wrapped up at Highgate but they were having some kind of private function (and were really rude about it, actually...). Yelp led me down the road to the Junction Tavern. It was really good! I had a mushroom soup that really tasted like biting into a grilled mushroom, and an herbed potato cake with broccolini and tomato sauce.

We also stopped in for drinks at the Rake and the Southampton Arms. I didn't even bother to learn the brand names of the ciders I drank, because I know I won't be able to get them at home. The one I had at the Rake was their dry selection and it was fantastic.

All in all we had a lot of good food. I took pictures of just about everything, and I'm going to do a detailed trip report on my blog when I get home.

Thanks for all the recommendations, folks :) I definitely think the trip was better for having some local advice.
That sounds like a pretty great list of places to have tried. Glad you had a good and tasty trip!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Camden, ugh.

I'll be at Borough Market on Saturday; anywhere good thereabouts for Modern British (I'm with food-appreciating Yankee relatives) apart from Anchor & Hope?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

YourCreation posted:

Therattle, I usually just get small things from lots of different stands at Borough. I think that's the best way to play it. Then you can sit in the church yard and just chill and eat.

Thanks, I'd usually happily do that but with older relatives we want a proper sit-down lunch.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

Or for a nicer (and better IMO) curry, Rasa. There's one just off Oxford St.

Not anymore! It's been replaced by a loving Cote.

Had a very good lunch and glass of wine at 40 Maltby St (Gergovie) on Saturday, as well as an excellent coffee from one of the stalls before, and some delicious patisserie from another after.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

The one on Dering St?? D:

There was one further north near Goodge St that got converted I think..

The one on Charlotte Strasse got converted.

tentish klown posted:

Went to 10 Greek Street for the fourth time on Saturday. It's consistently good food, prices aren't too high (75 quid for dinner for two including a 25 pound bottle of wine). I definitely recommend eating at the bar - you can watch over the kitchen and see what's going on while you eat.

I'm awful tempted but I so rarely go out to dinner (with baby) and it's so near work that I'd only go there for lunch, and it is too expensive for a regular lunch.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Managed to score a free breakfast at Wahaca Charlotte Street this weekend as part of their opening. If their other food is anything to go by it's going to be delicious!

:)

I walked past it yesterday and saw that it had opened. How's you wangle that? I'd love a free lunch! (Although they do say there's no such thing...)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

Tried Seasons in Stroud Green the other night - loads of potential but the food just fell flat, although my miso-glazed aubergine was really wonderful, the blackberry eton mess had far too little meringue, and the starter of beets and goat curd had too little cheese and too many watery beets.

Had a very decent dinner in Kulu Kulu the following day though, although I've still not managed to replace my favourite long-lost central sushi joint, Okawari :sigh:
How disappointing. I've had very good meals at Season. Did you have the chocolate rosemary pot pudding?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

No, I didn't! I have to say I liked the atmosphere a lot though, and the staff were very friendly. It's just a pity that they aaaaaaalmost had it right, only for it all to fail at the final hurdle.

That said, I wouldn't rule out going back there, though would be interested in trying the other restaurants in the area, like that Lebanese place across the street or Cat's (which is Thai I believe..)

I'm still absolutely in love with Vagabonds coffee in the area by the way, I highly recommend it if you're in N4 and need to pass some time or get some much needed caffiene. I go every weekend now (spending way too much money on coffee, the middle-class-20-something-London way)
I think between my wife and I we go to Vagabond every day! The hot choc is amazing too, as are the warm cookies. The pastries could be better.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

^^ Awesome, loads of people ask for fish and chip recommendations and so few people have any to give! I'm terrible for advice on fish and chips as well, the only thing I'm after with my chips is that they are soggy, soaked in salt, vinegar and ketchup and wrapped in paper - then I'm happy.

Seriously, you guys should look out for me on Saturday or Sunday mornings. Red hair, ear piercings, on my own, probably smoking or reading. Goon coffee shop meet! Say hi to me sometime. I basically go to chat to the locals (and the hot baristas) anyway!

Agreed about the hot chocolate.

Right! I'll ask you if you have stairs in your house! I'll probably be pushing an oversized pram.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

angor posted:

Birthday dinner at Ledbury tonight. 9 course vegetarian tasting with wine pairing. SO. loving. EXCITED.

SO. loving. JEALOUS.

Took my parnets there for my father's 70th birthday, because they just wouldn't have eaten somewhere like that (they live in South Africa). One of the best meals I've ever had, and it was as much to do with the experience. It's very pleasantly friendly and unpretentious. I've also had the Sunday lunch. Both times the sommelier has been the same woman, who is absolutely excellent.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Bumping this so that you are all aware that Koya is doing their spiced venison udon special at the moment. All the food there is very good, but this is a truly exceptional dish.

Ate at Brasserie Blanc in Charlotte St the other day: starters and pudding excellent, mains slightly disappointing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My wife has been to Dotori a few times and really likes it, although I don't think she had sushi. She has good judgment. I've tried once but couldn't get in.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

(Spuckuk, I thankfully got a massive headcold two days later and was justified in working from home, which I rather seriously needed. Maybe see you at the one they've just announced on the 21st in December!)

I tried to go to Koya last night, on a Wednesday at 9pm and there was a loving 30 minute wait. I am SO SICK of this no reservations thing. Honestly. I am never going to eat to try any of the restaurants I want to eat at unless I am fortunate enough to have days off where I can pop in for late lunch or whatever. Ugh.

Anyway, in its place, I had a very pleasant, cheap and speedy (and BYO to boot) dinner in Viet just down the road on Greek Street [I swear Greek Street has so many good restaurants] - I had the bun noodles, which are cold with hot toppings including lovely crunchy spring rolls, my friend had the pho and we also had some rice-paper wrapped pork lovliness, and it was only £19 for both of us. Absolute bargain! Love Vietnamese food.

I've eaten at Viet once and it was OK. I have yet to find a really good Vietnamese place in the West End. Cay Tre is pretty good but doesn't quite nail it.

Had decent meals recently at Rosa's Thai on Dean Street, and a few later lunches at Koya and Princi which are always very good. Nothing spectacular lately though.

Oh wait - Gail's Bakery cinnamon buns. Holy gently caress, those things are amazing. Expensive but so so good. SO GOOD!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bollock Monkey posted:

Any suggestions for a Chinese/Thai place that delivers to N4? I have a poorly partner in need of tasty comfort.
Thaitanic in Crouch End is OK. Not amazing but decent. Good corn cakes. I am in N4 and they deliver.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Penguingo posted:

Finally tried the Harwood Arms on Saturday, as it's like three minutes from my house. It's not like I often go to Michelin places so I don't have much to compare it to, but I'd say it's definitely money well spent. Just, uh, don't go on a match day because getting there would probably be a pain.

Venison terrine was stupidly flavourful and redcurrants gave it a really nice burst, game faggots with lentils were likewise delicious and probably a good way to introduce game to the non-game-eater (if you are not a literal child and can avoid giggling at the phrase "bring me the game faggots") (I am a literal child), and malt ice cream with fruit bits was bitter as all hell, in a good way.

Plus they seem to serve gin by the 100ml, which is nice.

I quite like the more casual style fine-dine resturants like the Hawksmoor, and am after somewhere reasonably central for next saturday that's good but not quite such a hit to the wallet. Any suggestions?
Great Queen Street.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

Oh poo poo, this reminds me. I went The Cube Electrolux thing for a work lunch (the most amazing treat in the world) the other day and it was ASTOUNDING. This extrodinary glass building shoved on the side of the Royal Festival Hall looking over the river. Shame the weather was pissing it down.

Look at the menu!

Apparently it's worth £175 a head for a lunch like this. The chef kept coming out and talking us through the food, the wines were matched, the waiter would crouch and explain to us all why the tastes suited one another and why.

The best part was easily the salmon, my god. I spent forever working my way through that beautiful thing.

(Problem with a six course taster menu with matching wines and champagne on arrival is by the time you get to pudding you're so lashed you can't really taste it though.)
That sounds AMAZING. :jealous;

Does anyone have a recommendation for Sunday lunch in West End, preferably near Holborn, for godparents in their late 60s/early 70s who appreciate good food? I've booked the Delaunay but feel like I might be missing something.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pointsofdata posted:

Dabbous is nearer Holborn and would be pretty cool, no idea if you'd be able to get a table though. Their lunch menu is only £26 for four courses.

Otherwise the Savoy Grill is both good and similar to Delauney. What's wrong with Delauney though?
Thanks. Delaunay is probably spot-on especially as we have a baby with us; the only issue is I could only get a table at 1:30 which is a bit late. Was just wondering if I'd missed anywhere.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Nonsense. Nando's is pretty good. The chicken is tasty and free-range, the chips are good, and so are most other sides. Its cooked to order and not sitting in a heating cabinet. It's decent-quality proper food: miles better than a KFC or (insert US state or descriptor here) Fried Chicken. I don't love it or post on FB about it, but I eat at Nando's every now and again and I enjoy it. I'm pretty picky, by the way.

therattle fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Byron is pretty good. I'm no fan of chains but they are rather decent. A good £3-4 more per meal than Nando's though, which I do prefer to wagamamas - haven't eaten there for years. I can't say I've ever bragged about eating at Nando's though!