Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

My housemates and I headed to Meat Liquor last night to check it out. There were the usual new restaurant teething problems: queue out the door, not enough waiting staff, slow service but considering it's the first week of opening these will hopefully be resolved soon. There was also an unfortunate food shortage with the restaurant running out of burgers a little white after we were seated and two of the three desssert options weren't available either.

The food was exceptional value considering it's just off one of the UK's premier shopping destinations. Roughly £8 for a burger, £4 for starters, sides, desserts. There's a couple of lagers and ciders but the drinks menu is dominated by some pretty amazing sounding cocktails, which again are around £7-8. (There's a salad and a halloumi & mushroom burger for veggies but that's about it for non-meat-eaters.

Everything tasted great, the burgers were tender and oozing with cheese, the starters were very small but basically acted as opportunities for you to try their hot sauces. THe chilli cheese fries stood out as a side-order highlight. Coconut cream pie was fine as a dessert but it's obviously not their specialty.

Remember how Bodeans has that motto of 'fingers instead of forks' or something similar? Well Meat Liquor takes it one step further and does away with plates! All of our food was served on a paper-lined tray and we were left with some kitchen paper and our hands to forage for ourselves. It's a nice quirk, but when you're eating food like this which can get a bit messy, a plate would sometimes be welcome. It's definitely not somewhere you'd take someone you were trying to impress but it's a great value central restaurant for some guilty pleasures.

Oh, one final tip, there's a domed area near the front of the restaurant with a large round table in the middle. Try not to get seated at that table as the acoustics create this weird amplification where your conversation seems to be broadcast to the whole restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Went to Goya in Pimlico recently. Really good authentic tapas, very generous portions.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

My husband and I are planning a trip to London in the summer, and I've definitely bookmarked this thread as part of my prep :) Neither of us has ever been to the UK.

I did have one specific question: are there any particular pubs or restaurants that you'd recommend for getting really good hard ciders and/or ginger beer (either the alcoholic or non-alcoholic variety). We've tried the majority of the brands that get imported into the US. It doesn't have to be an in-house brew, though that would be even better, just places that have really good brands on tap.

Southampton Arms on Highgate Road is good for real ales and ciders. I'd guess Porterhouse Covent Garden would have a range too...

Had a cheap and cheerful dinner at Little Bay in Farringdon. Half price off all food (excluding specials) at the moment, meaning you can easily get 3 courses for around a tenner. It lacks finesse and definitely not somewhere you'd take someone you're trying to impress, but there's nothing overtly offensive about it.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Went to Ed's easy diner. Food was OK, waiting staff acted how someone trapped in a 1950's nightmare would act. Shakes are the only thing worth going for really.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I went to Red Dog Saloon in Hoxton last night. Very much the All-American BBQ joint in the same vein as Bodeans. They do a big line of burgers including 'The Punisher' and 'The Devestator' which is some kind of 6-pattie monstrosity.

I had ribs and pulled pork. The ribs were large, had plenty of meat on them and had a dry BBQ rub rather than being slatered in BBQ suance as Bodeans' often are. I didn't get much opportunity to sample the whole menu (and it's quite pricey anyway) but definitely look forward to going back and trying other dishes. Their chicken wings and cocktails seemed to be quite popular.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I just got a Gourmet card, does anyone else have one and have any recoomendations for good restaurants that are on the scheme?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

Burritos are absolutely bloody everywhere in London now, with my pick of the bunch being Benitos hat and Picante in victoria, the latter run by an expat californian who knows his stuff.

I can second Picante as a good burrito place. On Mondays they do a chipotle mushroom burrito which I haven't tried but heard is pretty great.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Went to Las Iguanas at the weekend, pretty good South American-ish food for a chain. Nice cocktails. I'd recommend the sweet potato chips.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Recently went to Brasserie Toulouse Lautrec in Kennington. Bar upstairs with live music pretty much every night, French restaurant downstairs. A really nice experience and some fantastic food. Had a rocket salada with chorizo and sunblushed tomatoes and a duck breast main with roast parsips and redcurrant sauce. A couple of others had a delicious looking lamb shank you could cut with a fork. Only bad notes were the waiters trying to hurry us to clear the table as there was a Friday night rush and the dessert of cherry and almond tart was overcooked and not very pleasant.

I also nipped down to Rum & Sugar at West India Quay to soak up some sun. They do a nice tempura whitebait and prawn sharing starter. My friend had haddock and chips which was served in a little fry basket which looked aesthetically pleasing but was difficult for him to eat out of. I had a burger which was perfectly good and came with a side of tartare sauce? Not sure what that was about.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

May I recommend the Laughing Halibut near Westminster/St James Park for good quality traditional fish and chips.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Hawksmoor Air Street is having a soft opening from 22nd October to 31st. Email airstreet@thehawksmoor.com with name, date, lunch/dinner, number of guests and phone number. It's 50% off during the soft opening so worth a definite look.

Thanks so much for this. Currently waiting to see if I have a table.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Neris posted:

I'm really keen to try out that sushi place, Dotori, in Finsbury Park. Anyone advise for or against?

I went a while ago. I'm a bit of a sushi luddite but it was tasty, freshly made and you can see the sushi chef chopping and rolling away in the background. Nice mixture of Korean dishes as well. Good tempura. The restaurant is tiny though so will probably require booking.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

There's a London Goon Quiz happening this weekend. And er...it's in a pub that serves food?

I keep going back to MEATMarket. I could easily die a greasy death there.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I went for drinks in the Zedel a few weeks ago. It was quite incredible, like being in the restaurant at the beginning of Temple of Doom.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I went to Caxton Grill and Roux at Parliament Square this week, both very good. I admit I found Roux a little pretentious but I suppose it's meant to cater to MPs and the like.

I also went to Hawksmoor for he first time. The steak was fantastic but the peanut butter shortbread really blew me away. I wasn't expecitng such a good pudding from a steak restaurant.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Thanks for these maps, they are amazing!

My suggestion for coffee places would be Notes who have stores on the Strand and Covent Garden, they also run the Flat Cap coffee stalls which are amazing too.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Muga posted:

Victoria is short on decent places to eat, Picante is good for a Mexican lunch as the queues testify. Think it's been mentioned before.

Yeah, there't not much near Victoria. There's the usual Pizza Express/La Tasca/Nandos etc. If you're preared to walk a bit there's a bit more variety.

Horeserry Rd has Firecracker, a Japanese restaurant that does karaoke and cool little bento trays. Also the Loose Box is a pretty good bar/restaurant with some nice sharing platters.

Goya is a traditional Spanish tapas restaurant near Pimlico which is very satisfying.

The Regency Cafe is a traditional greasy spoon known for appearing in Layer Cake, Brighton Rock and bunch of TV dramas. THe Luaghing Halibut on Strutton Ground is a fantastic chippy.

Caxton Grill and the Cinnamon Club are probably the more popular upmarket restaurants nearby.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Bollock Monkey posted:

Nah, just drinks.

One of them practically worships cocktails, though.

I believe the BrewDog in Shoreditch which used to be Mason & Taylor's has a speakeasy-type cocktail bar in the basement, might be the best of both worlds?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Any recommendations for lunch in Greenwich? Visiting the Cutty Sark soon.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Cool, thanks. I'll report back after the visit. One more question... I'm getting a taste card soon, what are the best restaurants which are on the scheme?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Visited Urban Orient vietnamese in Crystal Palace at the weekend. Tiny place with maybe 6 tables, cash only, BYOB with minimal corkage. Great selection of dim sum and starters with big bowls of pho, noodle and rice mains. I'm no Vietnamese expert but it felt very authentic and the staff were very attentive. THey dealt very well with some picky eaters and dairy intolerance in our party.

Definitely recommended.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I had a little Tastecard expedition to Albannach last night. My Scottish colleague was unimpressed with their haggis which he descibed as bland and mushy. We had ribeye steaks which were quite tough and didn't opt for pudding. They had an extensive whiskey menu which we tried in place of dessert.

It was barely good value at half price, would have been daylight robbery at full price.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I'm a Victoria goon as well. Haven't managed to get to Picante since it reopened but VERY excited about it. I hope they still sell the mexican food supplies, I could do with some chipotles.

Yeah, Victoria is pretty thin on the ground for pubs.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Raffles posted:

I'm cycling down to Victoria Park on Sunday and need recommendations for somewhere to have lunch. Not fussy about cuisine anything decent will do.

The junction of Victoria Park Rd and Lauriston Rd just north of Victoria Park has a nice collection of restaurants and pubs, that's your best bet.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Neris posted:

Anyone got any good Brazilian food recommendations?

I asked my Brazilian friend and, assuming we're discounting rodizio bufffet restaurants (althought why would you?), he recommends Barraco in Kilburn.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Where are the best places for sweet things? Ice cream, gelato, desserts etc?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Red Dog Saloon isn't quite central but it's the closest BBQ place I can think of.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Pretty sure it was used as a location in Made in Chelsea recently.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I went to Homeslice in Covent Garden. It's in the courtyard where Neal's Yard and Souk Medina is. They do a selection fo massive 20" pizzas which could easily serve 4 for £20 or 1/6 slices for £4. All freshly made and very tasty, restaurant is quite small though.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I went to Dishoom on Saturday, hour wait without a reservation but definitely worth it. Some of their small plates are a little basic (disappointing samosas, paprika crisps) but the main courses were divine. I had the lamb boti kebab which was large chunks of spiced and grilled lamb and the gunpowder potatoes.

It doesn't quite hit Taayabs/Needoo/Lahore in terms of authentic indulgent Indian/Pakistani but it makes up for it in ambience. One to take parents to. It's reasonably priced as well, I think we paid £85 for four people, though we stuck to soft drinks and lassis.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Greedy Cow is alright but it's in Mile End and there are better burger places in London.

I have a hankering for tacos and margaritas, where are the best in London?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Hey thread, I need a restaurant for a birthday dinner for 2, somewhere affordable in the Marylebone/Fitzrovia area, preferably chinese/japanese? I was looking at Crazy Bear but I get the feeling there are authentic, better value options out there...

Any ideas?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Outside of Bodeans there's Duke's in Haggerston. More expensive and a smaller menu but what they do, they do very well.

I went to Made in Italy just off James Street this week. It's one of a small chain of maybe 8 restaurants around London, I've also been to the Earls Court one. They do pizza by the metre, and it's pretty authentic stuff. Seemed to be staffed by Italians and there were other Italians eating there. Ordered more pizza than we could eat, took it home and had it for breakfast the next day. Amazing. Made up for their suprisingly disappointing tiramisu.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Re: mexican

I've had good tacos at Taqueria in Westbourne Park. There's also a stand at Maltby St Market which does tamales which I'm assured are pretty darn authentic.

I did the Pix Infinte Sundays thing at the weekend where you get infinite pinchos and cava for £30. I would recommend it if you would like the feeling of eating and drinking yourself into a delicious early grave.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Any recommendations for a restaurant in Angel, party of ten. Something lively and not too expensive? Party includes some vegetarians so goon favourite Rodizio Rico is off the table.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

London doughnut chat.

I don't like St.John doughnuts. Give me a Crosstown doughnut instead any day.

Deliveroo me a Crosstown doughnut, cycleman.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Sorry to do this but I need some help with my awkward family. My parents want to have dinner in London tomorrow night. My Dad is fine but my Mum doesn't like fish or seafood, won't eat meat on a Friday and is a what I can only politely describe as enthusiastically thrifty. (She's a "I'll just share this starter with someone and then sip sparkling water and make everyone else feel guilty for ordering a main course" type)

My list of ideas so far

Wahaca
Masala Zone or similar thali type restaurant
Tapas somewhere???

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

peanut- posted:

Just go to Zedel, it's the ultimate parental visit restaurant imo. Good food that isn't controversial, not too expensive, big impressive room that makes it feel like an occasion.

Good shout. Thanks.

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

It's not, the chicken burgers are way better than the others.

They've got a dedicated chicken liquor in Brixton as well.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

mmm11105 posted:

Anyone got recommendations near Bow/Mile End?

There's an OK-ish burger restaurant called Greedy Cow. Apart from that there's some pretty nice pubs around Victoria Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I stumbled across NY Fold on Charing Cross Road. A really solid slice of pizza, reasonably priced, a surprising rarity in London. It's no (insert favourite sourdough pizza place here), but it hit the spot.