Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

therattle posted:

I had a slice from there a while with caramelised onions that I'd swear were sweetened. It was gross and I didn't finish it.

You can't get that full American experience if there isn't excess unnecessary sugar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I guess Homeslice is the best we have?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

There is a really good pad thai stall called Newdlez that does Lower Marsh near Waterloo and Tatchbrook Street near VIctoria (and a few others I think).

I had a very nice dinner at Champor-Champor in London Bridge just before Christmas. The most tender beef rendang and a green curry with immense king prawns.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Has anyone been to Breddos tacos? Is it any good?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

There's also the Rail House Cafe which has just opened opposite Victoria station, same people as Riding House Cafe but I think a smaller menu.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Beavertown has announced it's closing down Duke's Brew and Que in Haggerston, one of the only good BBQ places in London.

RIP best burnt ends and mac & cheese

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Where's good for dim sum? Looking for somewhere not too expensive, preferably with soup dumplings.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

We ended up going to Dumpling's Legend. Good dim sum, maybe not the cheapest but very enjoyable.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Kappacasein for the raclette is always a top choice at Borough market, or the chorizo sandwich from Brindisa.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Anyone have a good tip for korean BBQ or Chinese hotpot in Chintatown?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Yeah there's Cheeky Chicos near Blackfriars, it's not as good as I remember Piccante being, but it kind of hits the spot.

For authentic Mexican rather than Tex-Mex there's Santo Remidio, Breddos and El Pastor.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I went to the Marksman pub in Hackney for a Sunday roast yesterday. Not cheap, but very good. They do this amazing steamed bun that's like a char siu bun but but filled with bacon or minced lamb, which was a highlight. Very popular on the weekends.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The Southbank Centre is cavernous enough that you can find some napping space in there.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Just returning to Mexican briefly, I would agree that the El Pastor London Bridge branch is not ideal, would probably choose the Kings Cross one for a sit-down meal. Haven't tried their Soho branch. They used to also have an arch at Maltby Street that was great for a taco and a beer but hasn't reopened since lockdown. Ironically I think they used to sell their mexican cheese along with tortillas and other ingredients there. Santo Remedio is nice, their barbacoa lamb shank is delightful and they do a great marg. Quite expensive though. Mestizo near Euston I remember being fun, they do a Thursday beer and tacos dance night.

I haven't found good tex-mex anwhere. Seems to be a real blindspot for some reason.

Does anyone have any opinions on seafood boil restaurants. Pelican State, Claw & Hammer etc. I wouldn't mind a giant plate of seafood soon.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

My in-laws are coming over from America and I need to find a restaurant for a meal to celebrate my MIL's retirement. Preferably family-style italian (but open to other cuisines) that's relatively affordable but still fancy enough in ambiance and service that it feels like a special occasion.

Any ideas?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

reality_groove posted:

My in-laws are coming over from America and I need to find a restaurant for a meal to celebrate my MIL's retirement. Preferably family-style italian (but open to other cuisines) that's relatively affordable but still fancy enough in ambiance and service that it feels like a special occasion.

Any ideas?

We ended up going to Ffiona's in Kensington which does a pretty nice traditional British menu. Chicken kiev, fish and chips, sticky toffee pudding etc. I had a steak that was better than I was expecting. Place is cosy and the staff are friendly. Don't know if I'd go back too often but it was a fun atmosphere to take out-of-towners to.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I'll rep Bermondsey Street for date night restaurants:

Flour and Grape
Jose/Pizarro
Casse-Croute/Piquenique
Baccala
Texas Joes
Kin + Deum

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I can second that, I used to date a girl in Richmond and that was our breakfast spot. I miss having a reason to go there.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Its Bagels in Primrose Hill has been all over my instagram. Anyone tried it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

There's a Flat Iron on Tooley Street. That's my go-to.