Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Is Pizza East actually any good? I've been working for Square Meal restaurant and bar guide all summer, phoning up every restaurant in London and it's jaded me to eating out, but Kentish Town is getting a Pizza East very soon, or it's just opened (along with Chicken Shop and Dirty Burger) and I'm tempted by proper pizza.

Also dammit, the one weekend I have poo poo to do on Saturday they start giving out free burgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Thanks for the opinion on Pizza East, I think I will check it out next paycheck.

The_Doctor posted:

How is Dirty Burger?

The grand opening is on Wednesday this week, I think. They were just giving free burgers away yesterday as a teaser. If it's exactly the same formula as their pop-up was, they should be pretty good. People in my office have been raving about them, although my boss likes Honest Burger better.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

I'm just sick of the meatmeatmeat trend in general. Oooh, it's gourmet fried chicken! Oooh, we just serve burgers and lobster! Oooh, we only serve a very specific type of steak! I'm not vegetarian, but I don't like to eat a lot of meat and I'd like to be able to go somewhere new/fun/hyped-up without feeling like I'm eating an entire barnyard. Maybe we'll have a tofu revolution?

That said, I'm oddly enthusiastic about the opening of Bubble Dogs. Champagne and hotdogs. It's like something out of a horrible dream, and I really want to experience it.

The other new opening I'm really looking forward to is global Korean chain, Bibigo in Soho, although I still haven't got round to going to Kimchee on High Holborn. So many places to eat, so little money. Remind me why I decided to study in London again?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Neris posted:

Contentwise, I really enjoyed this post on North London local restaurants. Still badly need to go to 500 as well, on top of all the rest. Argh.

Thanks for this. I'm planning to go to The Bull & Last next time I wander up to Highgate Cemetery.

Also starting to worry about Kentish Town getting so trendy, I had this little hope that I could stay here once I graduated, but I bet my rent is going to go way up now

madlilnerd fucked around with this message at Sep 25, 2012 around 13:16

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Oh my god yes! Their baklava counter is like something out of a fantasy. Every time I walk past I can't help doing this dreamy drooly sigh. I also really like the hippy supermarket- Whole Earth? A lot of the stuff they sell is actually a very reasonable price, including their loose grains and teas, and the staff have never been snobby at me.
Arancini Factory is my other favourite spot; it's just a perfect little café, although too pricey for my student budget. They have the kind of antipodean waitresses that jump into your conversation while they serve you, which I actually quite like because it reminds you that everyone can hear your loud public conversation.

I don't like the butchers on Kentish Town Road though, the guy in there last time I went was just really half assed and didn't seem to care about what he was selling me. Maybe I'm a primadonna but when I walk into an empty butchers and say "Hi, I'm cooking a chicken dinner for 5 people tonight, what have you got?" I expect some kind of conversation along the lines of "this one is free range, this one is just a standard chicken, this one is extra large" not just a hand wave at the counter.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

tentish klown posted:

As for that butchers... The last and only time (for a while) that I went in there I looked at a chicken, bought it, and then realised I had just agreed to pay £16 for a chicken.

The best chicken I ever had was a £14 gold standard free range job from Borough Market, but at least there the guy really sold it to me. He was really passionate about the meat and told me all about the producer. I only really eat meat for special occasions so I don't mind paying for something really special, but if you're trying to get me to buy something like that instead of a £3 Iceland chicken, you have to tell me why I should be buying this.

Also the antipasti I got from Kentish Town butcher leaked oil all over my bag and then my organic quinoa crackers were just ruined.

Has anyone been to Tapping the Admiral? I have been dreaming about doing a ale trail round my locale, starting with Euston Tap and ending with The Southampton Arms, with BrewDog and Tapping the Admiral en route.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

sweek0 posted:

Yep, fun little local pub, bit out of the way. It's also really drat cheap! Basically all those pubs you just named are very good. Here, fellow-goon and friend of mine Lloydy reviewed it on his beer blog. http://bitterbloke.blogspot.co.uk/2...ng-admiral.html

Food is just simple Asian food as in many other pubs, do not bother with that.

Good to know. Now I just need to find the money...

pointsofdata posted:

The Old Eagle just round the corner from Camden Road station has a pretty good atmosphere, although the prices and selection are nothing special.

That's really near my house and the barman was really nice to me when I went in so I have that down as a good general pub. I also keep meaning to check out the Abbey Tavern as I live practically next door to it. So many pubs, so little cash.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Neris posted:

I tried to go to Koya last night, on a Wednesday at 9pm and there was a loving 30 minute wait. I am SO SICK of this no reservations thing. Honestly. I am never going to eat to try any of the restaurants I want to eat at unless I am fortunate enough to have days off where I can pop in for late lunch or whatever. Ugh.

Walked down Charlotte Street in torrential rain on Tuesday, and there was still a huge queue outside Bubbledogs!

So unfair, my mum doesn't believe in queuing for food like, in her words, "Soviet peasants" so whenever she's around in central we settle for something boring like Pizza Express.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Plus the buy X chicken and get X chicken free stamp cards are pretty sweet if you're a broke student and your mum happens to take a lot of people to Nandos and gives you full stamp cards.

Wagamamas, I find the portions are too big. I'd rather get a smaller portion that was slightly nicer. You get loads for your money, but I always feel like it's just too much and that the sides are better because they taste nicer than the main dishes.

But yes, these places are not the best food in London and I wouldn't boast about going there or even really get excited about going. It's more a case of "hey, I have no food in the house and I've got a full Nandos stamp card, do you want to go and split a whole chicken and some sides?"

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Bit of a long shot because it's not London but does anyone know of a decent sushi or Japanese restaurant around Windsor, Datchet, Eton, Reading, High Wycombe or anywhere else not too far from Slough?

My parents want to take me out for a birthday meal on Monday and they don't want to do London for whatever reason.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

We just ended up going to John Lewis for afternoon tea but they weren't doing it for the Christmas period so I had this banoffee loaf thing and it wasn't really that nice

The height of my birthday culinary experience this year has been showing my mum how to make kale chips. Ah well. There's always next year!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Went to Bibigo in Soho last night, my class booked the downstairs room to celebrate our end of unit assessment. It was wonderful, really tasty food (can't comment on authenticity, this was my second time ever having Korean food). I had the small traditional tofu bibimbap, which came with this perfect spicy sauce on the side. But the main thing that made the evening was the service- they were just so attentive, great at topping up water, making sure everyone was happy etc. Get the creme brulee for dessert, it's heavenly.

Some people were a bit miffed at the portion sizes for the price though. I didn't mind, but I'm a small person so a small bibimbap + half a kimichi side is plenty for me. Definitely want to go back.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Any good breakfast places round Victoria? On Friday I've got a friend getting off a coach at 7:45 and back on at 10:30, so we're planning to meet in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

ineptmule posted:

Picante Mexican does breakfasts and it's my favourite place around Victoria.

It's probably 15mins away from the coach station.

Thank you, I love a Mexican breakfast! Mmmm rancheros