Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dv8
May 25, 2015

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
If you find yourself looking for some Mexican street / market food try Wahaca in Soho. It's reasonably priced, good service, food; wide range of margaritas, Mexican beers and cocktails. The atmosphere is casual & contemporary. It's a small chain but it hasn't lost it's touch due to expansion.

8/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dv8
May 25, 2015

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.

Kaiho posted:

Wahaca is... Well, it's edible, sure, but Mexican it ain't

I won't disagree. However, if you were to take 2 Mexican chain restaurants between the US and the UK and traditional / authentic Mexican food from central Mexico, there's not a mega difference between the UK's Whacha dishes as apposed to say the US's Carlos O'Brien's. If you had to compare the two, Whacha is closer to authentic Mexican, while Carlos O'Brien's is closer to Tex Mex.

With that said, over the years Tex Mex (loaded nachos, burritos, hard tacos, fajitas; the heavy usage of shredded cheese, sour cream, etc.) and authentic Mexican food (soft wheat flour tacos, crema, cotijia, cochinita pibil, pico de gallo, etc.) seem to be coming together in many foreign countries, making the line between the two, blurry.

As long as foreign country 'authentic' Mexican and Tex Mex food is well executed, I'm happy to eat it and recommend it.

dv8
May 25, 2015

angor posted:

It's also worth noting that 'Mexican' can't be classified easily. There's a HUGE range of culinary diversity based on region throughout Mexico, and you can't just list 5, 10, or even 100 things and say 'this is Mexican' food.

That being said, Wahaca has done really well for themselves, and their food is fantastic ('true' Mexican or not).

If you don't mind, could you please recommend a couple other Mexican restaurants to go to in or around London? I'm from the US originally but work in London a couple times a month and usually always hit the spots that are my favorites or come recommended to me, especially when I don't have alot of time to kill. I'm not a big fan of walking into a random restaurant and taking my chances on an empty stomach. I get grumpy.