Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Dangphat posted:

A little late but Lantana Cafe up near Goodge street is always worth it for brunch, although can have a queue.

Another vote for Lantana. Really good honest food. Maybe I just had a bad experience, but I hated Bill's when I went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Bollock Monkey posted:

I can't imagine Bocca being a challenge for the hard of hearing.

I'll keep trying to finally eat at Dotori!

The minute you have a loud 6 top in Bocca the whole restaurant gets pretty loud and that might be tough. Usually pretty ok with noise though.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

The_Doctor posted:

Anyone been to Galvin on Baker Street? I'm being taken there on a date.

I have not, but I have been to Galvin at Windows. Food was very good, cocktails were absolutely outstanding.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
The SO is going to be in town in a couple weeks and she's looking for brunch recommendations for her and 3 of her friends. They want good food and a relaxed environment (somewhere where they can chill after they eat without getting pressured off the table).

Time: 11ish on a Saturday
Location: Fairly open. Would probably avoid south and southwest London since it's a pain in the rear end to get to from Pinner.
Cuisine: Brunch! Is brunch a cuisine? Again, this is pretty open. I suggested Duck and Waffle, but they're booked. Someone else suggested Dishoom which I've heard is just ok.
Price: ~£30/head including a couple drinks.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
So they've booked a table for 5 people at Kopapa for 11:30 but they've been told they need the table back by 1 :smith:

I've suggest Hoi Polloi as a backup because that looks awesome. Cheers!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Ok, I'm back in London in December and looking for a fantastic meal for 2 around Christmas time.

Price: Up to £150 with booze (very upper limit)
Food: One person is vegetarian (me!) so that needs to be considered. No Middle Eastern. Other than that, pretty open.

Places we are considering: Bocca Di Lupo, The Ledbury (lunch), Pollen Street Social (lunch), Launceston Place (lunch), Gymkhana, Outlaw's at The Capital. This is after an hour of poking, so we haven't really put much thought into this yet. Comedy option: Just take the £150 and get blitzed at Nightjar

EDIT: The SO and her friends ended up at Kopapa based on everyone in this thread that suggested it. She said it was awesome and everyone enjoyed it, so thank you for that :)

angor fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 14, 2015

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
The Ledbury

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Drinking at Oriole today and SOFUCKINGEXCITED!

We want something relatively quick/cheap but delicious near Farringdon and were thinking about Apulia. Thoughts?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

sweek0 posted:

Oh a friend of mine is playing there tomorrow and I'm planning on going along. Let me know what it's like!

Oriole was fantastic. I like the atmosphere there more than Nightjar. Feels a little more relaxed and open which is nice. Drinks and service are both excellent. The sharing cocktails say they serve 4-6 but we got 10 drinks out of each one we ordered which was really nice.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Claridge’s has a gluten free option for their high tea.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Horse Clocks posted:

I recently moved from Zone 2 to Zone 4. Went to an Irish dive pub down the street from me and ordered 4 pints, but I found I only had a tenner so I hurriedly tried to mooch another note off my wife. Managed to get change back from that £10 :psyduck:.

Then there's The Regency club round the corner, which is both a classic English pub, sports bar, and Indian restaurant all at the same time, and pints are just under £5 mark again. Good food tho, would recommend if you ever find yourself in at the end of the Jubilee line like suburban pleb.

You'd be better served going to Everest on Honeypot :)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Horse Clocks posted:

Yeah, the next local I plan to hit up... That or skipjacks, haven't had fish n' chips in ages.

Imma let you in on a secret. Kenton Lane Cafe. It's a greasy spoon run by Indians. Get their masala chips. SO good. I think that's the ONLY thing I miss about living in that part of London. Great hangover spot.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

The_Doctor posted:

As someone who lives in Kenton/Harrow, you're not wrong. We've got, uhhhh.. Dunkin Donuts?

Only Parathas is pretty good too, but I have no idea if it's still open. I get fantastic super cheap Indian food where I live now, so I don't miss it as much as the greasy spoon.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I've seen Rasa recommended here for Indian and I've actually recommended it to other people who have been thoroughly impressed (which is great, considering most of them are Indian themselves). Haven't been yet myself, but looking forward to checking it out next time I'm in town!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

BizarroAzrael posted:

Anywhere good in Croydon? Might be moving there

I went to Scrumpchinos once for breakfast many years ago and it was pretty drat good.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Fine dining + Indian = Rasoi in my head.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Tasting menu at The Ledbury is one of the single best meals I've ever had. Definitely the best 'fancy' meal.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
London goons I need help!

Meeting some friends in London tonight. Doing drinks at Hawksmoor Seven Dials then dinner. We were planning on going to Native for dinner, but we're going to be 6-7 people and they only have room for 4 tonight. I live somewhere where culinary creativity barely exists, so I was looking for something interesting around that area for 6-7 people. Smoking Goat was on my radar but I'm vegetarian (the only one in our party) and that will have almost nothing for me. Was thinking maybe Dishoom but trying to stay away from Indian. Any other ideas?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

sweek0 posted:

Hmm, make your way up to Fitzrovia and try Foley's for example. That are tends to be a little less busy.

Thanks! Hawksmoor ended up being totally booked up, so we wandered around and ended up getting a table at Shakfuyu which was excellent :D.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Where to eat with a twist! I'm looking for good breakfast in London. Here's the catch:

I land at Heathrow (T5) on Friday morning at 6:15am, and I have a flight out from T3 at 2:30pm. I'm hoping that's enough time to venture into central (maybe Hammersmith area?), eat/catch up with my brother, and head back to the airport for 12ish.

By the time I land and get to the tube, I'm thinking it'll be 7:30, and tube to Hammersmith is 45min, so that puts me at 8:15.

I'm not sure how long it takes to get from the T3 stop to the actual departures, but I imagine 15 minutes or less, and the time from Hammersmith to Terminals 1-3 is 30 minutes - 45min transfer time. So I'd need to leave Hammersmith station by 11:15. This gives me 3 hours for breakfast, give or take.

After typing all that out, Covent Garden is only another 10 min from Hammersmith. Should I just go do Dishoom?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My body is ready

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Going to be in London in a few weeks and will be in Central on a Friday. We've got 'Casanova & daughters' booked for wine/nibbles but will need somewhere delicious and relatively close by that can accommodate a party of 12-15. Fairly open to suggestion as far as food goes. No Indian or Middle Eastern though.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Need a good breakfast spot somewhere in Central (within an hour or so from Heathrow) that will be open at 8 or 9 on a Saturday. Last time I did this I went to Dishoom and was pretty underwhelmed which is weird because everyone else raves about it. Maybe their regular menu is better than their breakfast stuff?

Don't have much on the list right now. I'm eyeing NOPI, but they don't open till 10. I guess I could hang around and have coffee somewhere before they open, but I'd rather find somewhere that'll be open earlier.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Woseley and Dean Street Townhouse are both a little pricier than I wanted (saving my pennies for Ledbury in December!) but drat do they both look good.

I'll check out Granger & Co. Feel free to suggest more stuff! I'm trying to keep the commute at or under 1h15m.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Looking for somewhere outstanding in London for dinner. Price can go up to £50-60/head. Bocca di Lupo and Barrafina are top of our list, but it needs to be bookable. This would be on a Friday for 4 people at around 6:30 (late March, so have some time to plan).

1 vegetarian, the rest not. Location can be a bit flexible but would like to stay close to Soho if possible. Cuisine is also flexible, but would like to stay away from Middle Eastern/Lebanese.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Yeah, Pollen St Social is closer to £125/head with drinks and all that. Is it £125/head good though?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Lloyddy posted:

It's pretty drat good and I'd be willing to pay that for dinner - for a special occasion.

If your £60 a head budget includes booze and service I would try somewhere like The Delaunay where you'd have a good time for the money. If you're keen on Soho then maybe the Dean Street Townhouse although I find it hit and miss, or Bob Bob Ricard but you may go over budget.

Good to know. It's not a special occasion, but I'm not opposed to spending that much if I'm going to be blown away. I'll look into the places you've suggested.

Anyone been to Native? I hear good things: https://www.eatnative.co.uk/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

The_Doctor posted:

Nothing about that menu looks fun or interesting.

Simple, if executed well, can be about as good as it gets, but I hear what you're saying.

Rovi is also being thrown around. This is a tough decision!

Edit: Anglo also looks fantastic and also relatively reasonable.

angor fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 7, 2019