Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Finally got round to going to Chicken Shop, and was much more impressed than I expected to be. Excellent food and it's astonishingly cheap for a trendy NW place - basically the same price as Nandos. Half a chicken (which was more than I could eat) for 8, then 3 for a side.

Also, from reading through the last couple of pages this thread is like a Kentish Town goons convention. Going to wander over and try the new coffee place in KTW station tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Leong's Legends is brilliant, if only for being one of the only restaurants in London with stuff on the menu that makes me think "loving hell, there's no way I'd put that in my mouth".

Get the Legend's Pork Siu Loung Bao next time, they're the speciality and are absolutely superb.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

On the breakfast subject, a friend and I have spent the last couple of years working our way round the city and slowly trying all the well-reputed breakfast places (using the Time Out list as a general guide). I think we've ticked off everywhere notable at least once now (though we haven't actually tried The Wolseley). My favourites:

- Lantana. Well known and the menu hasn't changed much, but I think indisputably the best. Every time I go I'm amazed by how good the breakfast is. Apparently they've opened a new branch near Old St called Salvation Jane?

- Counter Cafe. Arty place in Hackney Wick - an absolute arse to get to and no two items of furniture or cutlery in the place match, but really excellent breakfast with a regularly changing menu. It's round the corner from the Hackney Pearl (which I though was massively overrated).

- Railroad. Dinky cafe in a weird place on Morning Lane. Very small menu (typically the only breakfast options are baked eggs or a sausage sandwich), but it's excellently made food, the place has a lovely atmosphere, and the coffee is absolutely superb.

- Workshop (formerly St Ali) on Clerkenwell Road. Worth going purely for the baked eggs.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

You must try The Tapa Room in Marylebone or it's sister restaurant Kopapa in Covent Garden. I rate them over Lantana for brunch.

I've been to both, but not for a while. I remember enjoying them, but thinking they were both slightly too expensive.

Kopapa is right across the road from Matilda and has an excellent pre-theatre menu though, for the poster that was looking for recommendations there.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Has anyone tried Patty & Bun yet? It seems to be getting reviewed as the new king of the burger scene (at least until Shake Shack arrives anyway). The picture in Time Out today looks mouth-watering.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

I don't know of any great pubs round there, but The Bell on Middlesex Street is nice and a bit quieter. The Water Poet on Folgate Street is popular if you want somewhere lively.

Dirty Dicks on Bishopsgate outside the station is famous, though I've never actually been in so I don't know what it's like.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

angor posted:

My brother's (21st) birthday is coming up soon and I'm looking for a bar. We've already booked Blueberry bar around 8pm or so and we'll probably spend an hour or two there. Got a ping pong table! The next logical stop would be Worship Street Whistling Shop, but unfortunately it's already booked out .

We'd like somewhere relatively close by, can accommodate 20 or so people, preferably somewhere with awesome cocktails. Nightjar would probably be too small and Purl might be too far out. As you might imagine, we're all pretty big fans of speakeasy type places

Callooh Callay on Rivington Street or The Mayor of Scaredy Cat Town, which is underneath The Breakfast Club on Artillery Lane are both round there and exactly what you're looking for.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tried Tonkotsu, the ramen place on Dean Street.

The food was excellent, but loving hell the service was appalling. Highlights included being told "if you want something simple you should just have an Asahi" when I asked what the Redemption beers were (they only had the brand names on the menu), having the waitress shove plates we were actively eating off around the table to make space for more that didn't arrive for 10 minutes, and having to chase after someone with money after they studiously ignored cash on the table for 15 minutes in the hope that we'd leave it without getting change.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

No burger is worth 20, especially given that it's nowhere close to being the best burger around. Definitely go for the lobster.

I also tried Lucky Chip at the Grafton, which was really excellent. They've made the Grafton a superb pub, which is quite impressive given how strong the competition in Kentish Town is. Think I slightly prefer Dirty Burger though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Has anyone been to John Salt in Angel? Any good?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Queen of Sheba in KT is still the best Ethiopian I've had in London, and I've tried a lot of them.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Off Broadway gets points for being the only bar I've been to in London with contactless payment card machines. All bars need those.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

You've missed Dirty Burger and Patty & Bun which (imo at least) are the best two currently. Shake Shack opens on the 5th July too.

I went to the London Gin Club at The Star at Night over the weekend, which turned out to be good fun. Gin tasting menus are a concept I can get behind.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pitt Cue Co is incredible for BBQ type stuff. It is also tiny and you can't book though, so might not be suited for the occasion.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

I think Honest Burger was the most disappointing of all the trendy burgers places I've tried.

Shake Shack is the most exciting opening of the week!

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Hampstead Heath ponds are infested with American crayfish. They're vermin, but you do need a license to catch them.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Can you be more specific about an area? The City is generally brilliant for lunch places though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

sweek0 posted:

Right next to the Gherkin is where I work.
The Japanese Canteen is alright, and there are shitloads of burrito places. But I could really do with some new ideas.

Not part of the city I know that well, but Pardoe & Wood is a nice little place.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

sweek0 posted:

Just went there - that was really drat good! Had their African curry and it doesn't taste mass produced, has some great spices in there and comes with a great bread roll. Prices are reasonable, too.

Glad you liked it, it's a nice place. Their soups are very good.

quote:

AHT has a write up on Shake Shack today.
http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives...ent-garden.html

I can't wait. I went to the Madison Square Park one when it was still the only branch and it blew my mind.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Online petitions are terrible I know, but anyone that works in the city might want to sign this one against the unilateral closure of the Kerb street food market at The Gherkin.

Closing down a fairly posh street food market apparently for "aesthetic" reasons is mental.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

I got round to going to The Duck and Waffle for breakfast the other day. I was expecting to dislike it for being overly corporate and shiny, but ended up really enjoying it. It is overly corporate and shiny, but the food was good (I had the eponymous duck & waffle) and the view really is spectacular enough to warrant the prices.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Junction Tavern changed owners earlier this year. I haven't been since to find out if it's improved though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

Finally went to Polpo the other day and it was very disappointing. Meatballs were good but everything else was bad and overpriced.

Agreed with this, though I wouldn't say the food was actively bad - it was just really overpriced and nothing special.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

It might not get you news on upcoming openings, but Time Out will review anywhere trendy very quickly.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Went to Rita's on Mare Street this weekend. Good food, but massively overpriced for what it was I thought.

I love American bbq-style stuff, but the point is generally that it's cheap and plentiful - small plates priced at 8-16 each did not feel that appropriate to the food. Their speciality deep-fried half chicken was twenty five quid and not too far off what Chicken Shop will sell you for 8.

/edit: just looked at the receipt. 5 small plates + the chicken, 2 beers and 4 cocktails came to just shy of 140. I can see why it reviewed well among people that don't have to pay for their meals, but loving hell.

peanut- fucked around with this message at Feb 24, 2014 around 12:46

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Queen of Sheba is lovely, best Ethiopian in London in my opinion.

Hummus Bros is not overly interesting, but it's okay for a quick lunch. If you want street food, cheap places you could check out the Kerb market at Kings Cross.

I'd add Tayyabs to your Indian list - it's dirt cheap and it's popular for a reason.

Maybe look at Lantana or Caravan for breakfast, unless fry ups are what you're going for.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Also, are you sure you've picked out the correct Cock Tavern and it isn't the one on Mare St in Hackney you're after?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

The people that run The Cock started with The Southampton Arms in Kentish Town which is just up the road from Queen of Sheba.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

EC1 is Farringdon/Clerkenwell isn't it? There's a Craft Beer Co pub on Leather Lane.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pollen Street Social is just off Oxford Circus and has a set lunch menu.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I think i've mentioned it about a million times but i'm a big fan of brasserie zedel. It's on picadilly circus so you can't get any more central, beautiful place and great food and extremely reasonable prices considering it's the same people who do the wolseley plus there's a really nice cocktail bar part of it though that isn't very reasonably priced

Zedel is absolutely fantastic for an impressive setting with good food. Every time I go I'm surprised at how cheap it is, and never really think the food is noticeably worse than The Wolseley/Delauney/Berners Tavern and other similar places. It's simpler I guess.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

You're pretty much in prime restaurant area there.

Chinatown is good for cheap lunch options - Leong's Legends and Baozi Inn are both stock recommendations. Shake Shack in Covent Garden is actually good if you want burgers, in spite of the queue.

If it's slightly more of an occasion Kopapa and Dishoom (both on St Martin's Lane I think) are excellent, as is Flesh & Buns up by 7 Dials.

And obviously you're within walking distance of two branches of Scoff and Banter, an essential London destination.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Godline posted:

Guys, I'm after a real good BBQ joint. Slow smoked ribs, wings and all that stuff.

Need recommendations please!

Pitt Cue Co is the best but it's an absolute bugger to get in.

HotBox on Commercial St is meant to be excellent but I haven't been.

Bodeans is decent for a place that you'll actually be able to go without any hassle.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

I can think of loads of suggestions, it really depends on what bit of the city they want to be in. These are all big, relaxed places that can be booked and won't be chasing you out the door:

West end: The Riding House Cafe, Kopapa
Clerkenwell: Granger & Co, The Modern Pantry, Workshop
City: Hoi Polloi, Albion
East: Bistrotheque
South: Village East

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Sportsman really is fantastic, totally worth the trip down to Whitstable.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Is there a Japanese place in London that does proper okonomiyaki?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

I actually prefer Hiroshima style, but either is good. Thanks, I've been to Pacific Social Club for lunch before and it was excellent, will have to try and get along there for dinner.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ruby Violet in Tufnell Park is very good.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

I went to Pitt Cue Co for the first time in a couple of years last night. It was a nice reminder of how BBQ done properly is meant to taste and how absolutely loving dreadful most of the stuff being served up everywhere else around the city is.

I thinking of instituting a personal boycott of all restaurants following a "food1 & food2" naming convention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Anyone been to Fera, Simon Rogan's restaurant? Is it worth the not-inconsiderable cost?

«2 »