Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Yeah, that was a strange googling experience. TIMES SURE HAVE CHANGED SINCE I WAS A YOUNG FOOD ENTHUSIAST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Bodeans won't allow me to do a 2 person booking for my birthday and I'm not chancing just showing up there or anywhere. Any tips for a similar sort of place/vibe in central? Burgers, bbq, etc?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Our company Christmas party is at Polpo with a no-ceiling tab. How excited should I be and are there any cocktails I must order?

Holy poo poo. You are one lucky bastard!

My company Christmas party just has nibbles and a sing-along rock and roll band in Great Portland Street. At least there's no karaoke this year. Sigh.

Going to try the Junction Tavern in Kentish Town for a team xmas lunch though - I haven't been blown away by their food before when they managed to get simple things like under-seasoning wrong a few years ago, but am optimistic. Will probably try to avoid ordering anything unnecessarily fancy and hope the chef can handle it!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

"Both gas and oil are scarce and we are conscious to use both most efficiently and responsibly. The frying range, which will be the heart and soul of the restaurant, is highly energy efficient using less than 40% of the energy of the average fryer and is superior in performance."

I somehow don't feel in the grand scheme of things that this will make a noticeable change to the global warming problem.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Negroni? What exactly is it? And you don't have to be quite as jealous, I just found out we're on a set menu although I think the drink tab is still unlimited. However the big parent company party is the same night so I have to pace myself somewhat.

Wikipedia posted:

The Negroni cocktail is made of one part gin, one part vermouth rosso (red, semi-sweet), and one part bitters, traditionally Campari.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Talking of burgers, I had one at Rub on stroud green road a couple of weeks ago and it was great.

Really? I've heard nothing but mediocre reviews of that place. What did you make of the meal overall?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Unusual request, is there anywhere in London one can eat either horizontally or laying on a big pile of cushions/pillows?

:goonsay:

Sorry, but that is funny. There's a nifty little Moroccan place called the Triangle in Finsbury Park/Stroud Green where you can curl up in a cushion-laden nook, I assume you can get the food sent in there too! Also, I'm not sure if Cafe Cairo does food (I think so?) but it's another great Moroccan-inspired place with some cozy cubbyholes that you can nestle down in. And they make loving great ginger rum cocktails!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Convexed posted:

Does anybody know a central place of information on where I can find out what's opening or trending in London?

Okay, so.

http://www.hot-dinners.com ( http://www.hot-dinners.com/Features/Articles/coming-soon-new-restaurants-opening-in-london )
http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/foodanddrink/
http://londontheinside.com/category/eat/
http://londonist.com/category/food-and-drink

Get on Twitter, learn to love it, if you don't already (echoing above poster.)

@guardianfood @jayrayner @shedlikesfood @hollowlegs @hotdinners @tehbus @chrispople @FoodUrchin @MarinaOLoughlin

All of the above will have blogs or columns, so check those out.

Honest Burgers just opened a *sixth* place today and I am SO DUBIOUS about them surviving the end of the burger boom. And I heard Korean is going to be the next thing, there's been some pop-up stuff around it, but I may be talking out of my arse or repeating some PR i overheard or some junk.

Neris fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 6, 2014

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

What's bad and unhealthy about bibimbap exactly? I wouldn't associate Korean with deep fried. Even Thai is loving loaded with coconut milk, Korean is actually very healthy.

The thing that's intimidating is the fermentation, and fermented flavours.

Also yukhui :swoon: I dream about yukhui. No joke.

Actually omg on topic, I went to Busan with my Dad on the weekend in Highbury and Islington and it was fabbo. I had beef bulgogi and we had the trio of kimchi. Yum.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

That's so cool!

Has anyone here been to Maltby St Market? It's like Borough Market but for locals. Inside there was a small antiques market, all terribly terribly middle class but absolutely the nicest way to spend an afternoon with your dad who cannot stop himself from buying (and sharing with you) all of the food up this narrow street.

Among the things i tried were wild smoked salmon with dill, a gin bloody mary with horseradish, waffles with egg and maple bacon, and this absolutely mindblowing tartiflette. Next time you want a foodie day out or whatever, head that direction (and walk from London Bridge along the river - especially if you have touristy family vibes going on!)

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Kaiho posted:

I'm still waiting for decent Peruvian food. The problem is getting the quality fish at decent prices I suppose.

When you say decent, do you mean stripped down and affordable, like burgers? Because I think it has quite a way to go - you can't even really get decent tapas here yet. You can go to the Opera Tavern or the Salt Yard or Brindisa and get some ££££ but loving lovely spanish food, but it's not really down to basics and appealing.

However, http://cheesenbiscuits.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/andina-shoreditch.html is supposed to be pretty good? And Pisco sours are the new trendy thing, so that might herald in some more S. American style dining?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I just want to say for upmarket Indian food someone here has to go to Gymkhana and report back because their menu looks absolutely amazing.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Shiiiiit, five stars for the reopened Polpetto (with double covers!). This review makes me want to go.

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/restaurants/polpetto--restaurant-review-9138030.html

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Coffee near trafalgar square?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=206910253493714863976.0004d2859a862c696faf3&msa=0&dg=feature

There's a bunch in Soho and apparently some place called Notes near there! I'd probably want to walk up to Monmouth though. God their coffee is amazing. My other personal favourite is The Fleet River Bakery but that's over in Holborn, so better to combine with Covent Garden.

edit: Bollock Monkey, what about pub grub? The Old Dairy et al? Bull and Last in Highgate?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I'm not quite sure what you're after though - are you staying nr Leicester Square and want a location to get some food at , or are you working there and want lunch options...?

For restaurants, Kulu Kulu on Brewer Street is good conveyer belt sushi. Hell, if you can make it to Soho, and you're almost there, you have a world of options.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

It's not brilliant for food, I have to say, but it's good for the family dinner vibe and has quite a selection of veggie stuff.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

http://londonist.com/2014/02/dont-stay-in-2-10-great-meals-out-for-under-20-each.php

Good stuff from the Londonist, points for mentioning Yalla Yalla and Kulu Kulu (so nice they named them twice lol)

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Mestizo seems to be the only reasonable Mexican joint...

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Was going to suggest Bodeans as well. Go to the Tower Hill branch.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Is that one better? I've only ever been to the Soho one.

If it's more special-occasiony, I prefer the interior, it's swankier.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Maltby St Market is one of my favourites.

I would say taking your whole family to Jai Krishna with its shabby decor and aluminium tables might be a bit underwhelming though. The food is cheap and decent but it's definitely not a destination restaurant. If you end up that way do go to Peteks, the staff are kind of annoying but the food is so yum and pretty cheap, and they have all these awesome lanterns inside. Then drink at the Fulback after!

Are you looking for a sort of ticks the boxes, gets us all fed and is a pleasant experience? Gastro pubs and that might be right up your street - where will you be staying?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Mid-range acceptable pub with food in the Warren Street area, anyone? There's a good few so I'm not really spoiled for choice but wondering if you lot have any suggestions!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I went to 500 in Holloway and it was really, really good. We asked for one starter to share and they split it into two smaller portions. The staff were so charming and helpful and the food was super delicious. Recommend!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

That's THE place, but lots of places feature offal rather nicely in their menu. Off the top of my head Bocca Di Lupo does some great tripe pasta.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Aahahahahah your review of Peteks. "Avoid." (by the way, since when is £12 for a gut-busting main with shitloads of free bread, dip and olives pricey?) I actually love Peteks and it's local to me so forgive my defensiveness. Seems you had quite the whirlwind tour.

There is SOME good Mexican as far as I'm aware, but it's all very inaccessible. Honestly, I've heard some good things about Bodega Negra and Mestizo is supposed to be passable but there's just not that much in the way of the culture here, whereas seemingly for every other type of cuisine London gets at least somewhat close to nailing it.

Off to Green Lanes Gokuyuzu on Thursday for my birthday dinner with a bunch of mates, looking forward to the cheap smoke goodness!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

I'm off to Little Social for my birthday- anyone from here been? Good?

Jason Atherton is great - I've only been to Pollen St Social (and for its soft launch too) but I think you're in for a good time!!

MEANWHILE: How long until Honest Burgers reaches peak expansion!? They've just opened another one in Clapham. Within walking distance of my office now I have a Byron, a GBK, a Red Dog Saloon, a Bodeans, a Haché and now Honest Burger. :[ I love burgers but this is insane.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Bar Esteban is okay, but slow service, busy and kinddddda pricey. I'm actually really into the basic basic tapas place up by Harringay Rail, La Vina. I've been helping a mate out with some campaigning strategy stuff and they're insisting on taking me for a meal and I'm going to go there!

New BURGER PLACE :siren: called Street Burger, I think, opening by F'Park Tube as well. Just as they're closing the Wells Terrace Exit. Fare thee well, mango man, we hardly knew ye.

Actually there's some good things going on around this area - Salvation in Noodles is due to open soon (if it hasn't already), they're redoing the pizza place next to dotori, and when dotori re-opens, god knows how many more covers they'll fit int here but maybe I'll manage to go more than once every 6 months! Has anyone been to that Max's Sandwiches on Crouch Hill? Terrible trendy pop-up rubbish or good?

Has the Slow Rub place improved it's food since they rebranded to BRISKET (lol)

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I went to Koya for the first time ever on Friday, finally! It was fabbo - mainly the starter of stout and slow cooked pork belly.

But omg did you see, they're closing it down because the chef is going back to Japan. Sadness.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

IM BACK :woop: been a while food thread.

I wanna take my pal to Korean BBQ. I'll be in Clapham Common and I live in North London. Normally I'd go to Seoul but that's a long old trek for me that day -- anything central you'd recomend? I'm leaning towards Asadal. I know Hang Kang is still around but maybe there's something better? Shame Dotori doesn't offer the authentic sunken BBQ-at-your-table jazz.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

I ate at Bao today! Went alone so could slip past the queue, really enjoyed the confit pork (6th best dish in London according to Time Out, I learned after the fact) and fried chicken buns, and the sweet potato chips. Well worth a go I'd say.

You can book now at the Fitzrovia branch (and order fancy plum wine hot chocolates n things to keep you warm if you have to queue!)

wow this thread is still going. good eating guys! and when the hell did Zedel become so popular? I haven't even thought about that place in ages but it's become The Place based on my quick scan of the last 10 pages!

Have been eating out a lot lately due to a combo of work, boyfriend's family in town taking us out and Tis The Season - La Vina neighbourhood £10 for 3 dishes on a Wednesday tapas restaurant in Harringay is still absolutely awesome, Bob Bob Ricard's steak tartare was insane but the fish fillet was way too greasy for me (BBR still my fave place ever tho), the Dorchester China Tang massively underwhelming (so close to Ducasse..aaargh).

Had a fun night out the other night at Dram & Smoke, a Scottish themed pop up in Bermondsey with a five course tasting menu - definitely try not to be a party of two when you go though, in case they seat you on a table with 8 very very posh people that you don't know.

Also GIN PEOPLE - get thee to THE DISTILLERY on Portobello Road, holeee shitballs. Such great gin, almost no hangover and 50% off food (for a bit) I think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

vodkat posted:

SIN near finsbury park does very good pho if you are in the area. But be warned its small, busy, and cash only.

If you're gonna be in Finsbury Park and want authentic pho you may as well go up the road to Q+T Kitchen which is run by actual Vietnamese people. SIN is better for like cool atmosphere and all that beers-n-fusion-n-chickenwings-n-rly-loud-music vibes.