Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Was in London for 6 days last week and had some fantastic meals at Bull & Last, The Drapers Arms, St. John, The Pie Masters in Box Park, The Breakfast Club in Angel, Roast in Borough Market, Masters Super Fish, and at the food market outside the Southbank Centre. It's a tough call to pick out a favorite but I think Bull & Last, Drapers and St. John were the tops, although the food at Roast was amazing too. We hit the bar area of St. John for lunch and found it to be a pretty reasonable way to try out the place. Roast marrow bones!

We also had a good curry at Gulshan Tandoori, cheese at Neal's Yard Dairy, salt beef bagel at Beigel Bake, nibbles at the Well, some doner kebab at a little joint and an English breakfast near Smithfields (after we discovered that the Cock Tavern is gone). All in all a pretty tremendous few days of eating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I'm in Balham/Clapham. Where are all the blood puddings at? Pubs only serve burgers. I like burgers but doesn't anyone eat the traditional stuff down here?

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Firstly, it's called black pudding here. Secondly, hit up any cafe with a breakfast menu. Pubs aren't usually so good on breakfast (or indeed open for it).

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out. I'm afraid that all the Australian and American expats in this area have caused places to dumb down their menus. Little in the way of arch-traditional or adventurous as far as I can see, at least in the places I've checked out so far. Mostly burgers and fish and chips. Pork belly is about as interesting as it gets. There's a cute breakfast cafe off Clapham South that does a nice breakfast but the sausages aren't black. Maybe I'll try to ask...

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I guess I'm just looking for more stuff that I couldn't get at any random restaurant in Baltimore. In other parts of town I've seen plenty of black pudding with a fried egg dishes or kidneys/liver etc. I'm not expecting roast marrow bones or anything (although I'd order them!) but something other than pizzas and burgers.

The Nightingale has pie day on Tuesdays... I'm hoping that that will give me a little more of that homegrown food that I'm wanting.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I guess more uniquely English food. I don't know more to say. I've mentioned black pudding, offal and pie as things I'm looking for and hamburgers and pizza as things I'm not. Not sure how much more info I can give. Let's put it this way: I just moved from the States. American-style food (Five Guys) is not interesting to me. Not to say I'll never order a burger at a pub, but I'm not seeking them out.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Thanks. I'll look into that. I've had Sunday roast in the neighbourhood at a couple of places with varying results. But maybe I have to resign myself to the fact that the non "ethic" food in my neighbourhood plays it very safe. I'm also verrrrry interested in the various immigrant communities for food but that's another question for another day. Right now I just want some pie and mash and some guts. I guess if that was my top priority I should have taken the flat across the street from Smithfields. But alas it wasn't.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

Just go to a pub (or 'gastropub') and order something, there will be a bunch of them which do good food near you.

I've been checking them all out, hence the questions. I dig them (well most of them) but was hoping for more from the menus. Burgers and pizza are rampant.

Regarding the Smithfield thing, that's for another thread. My flat hunt was very hurried and pretty weird. But not food-related. Still, Clapham/Balham is good living.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Thanks guys. That Bread and Roses menu is exactly what I'm hoping to avoid. Nachos, chicken burgers, "Cajun" chicken wrap. I guess I need to accept the fact that the shady scumbag who shoved me off on Clapham has lame expat tastes. I was trying for my first choice flat (Islington/Hackney border)but he claimed someone else snapped it up and stuck me in Clapham, home of burger-mania (there's even a Burger King.). Whatever, that's what the tube is for.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I want the option to subsist on nothing but eel pie dammit.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Thanks, I will check those out. I am a fan of St John and have eaten at their bar a number of times. The proximity to them from the Smithfield flat gave me pause even though everything else was wrong (well it was close to work too).

And don't get me wrong, I love burgers. I had a great one at the Grove in Balham. There's also a 24 cab stand in Clapham Common where you'll probably spot me eating a greasy burger or bacon nutty from time to time.

For fish and chips I might be good with Moxons since their fish is super-fresh (their fishmonger side is right around the corner) but good to know which pubs make a good version and which use crummy frozen fish.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Yessssss

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

petition.org.uk/st-john-balham

corkskroo fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Oh no I don't want to contribute to the extinction of eels. I'll make due with another pie in that case.

I just missed Tubby Isaac's anyway.