Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Neris posted:

There's one in Kentish Town right near where I work, the Queen of Sheba, though I've never been, it gets pretty good reviews from a cursory glance!

But, there is apparently a legendary one in West London that does epic tibs so I hear, but I'll need to get forums user Lady Gaza or Kaiho to say what that's called..

It's called Gojo and it's located under an off license just north of ladbroke grove station. Hands down the best injera I've had in this town and the meat dishes are great. Just be sure that if you get the rare beef dishes you ask for them truly rare - they often think foreigners will balk at raw meat.

Lady Gaza posted:

I go past it on my bus to/from work and keep meaning to go back. Need to check if they do takeaway...

VVV

They do. My friend who lives locally gets it all the time.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at Dec 1, 2011 around 19:47

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Mousepractice posted:

The Diner is nothing to write home about, I was pretty underwhelmed last time I was there. For a much better - and cheaper - burger in Camden go to Brewdog on Bayham Street, over on the other side of the tube station. Also a lot of strong beers, if you like that kind of thing.

gently caress yeah Brewdog.

Does anywhere do a good steak tartare or am I stuck going to Paris or hacking up meat myself?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Neris posted:

It's not steak tartare but the yuke (Korean-style steak tartare - so raw beef + egg) in Seoul on Finchley Road is AMAZING. I had dreams about it afterwards. It's slivers of raw beef, raw egg, pear and sesame oil and it is so, loving, delicious.

You're right yuke isn't steak tartare. It's good, sure, but I'm craving meat, onion, capers and raw egg yolk.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The only food you'll get at the soton arms is pork pies and pork baps. It is a pub, not a restaurant. There are a few middling Ethiopian restaurants near it though.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

You are in fact completely right about the apple varieties.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Oh and as far as the Ethiopian food there goes, it's fine (e.g. Lalibela) just not as good as Gojo in Ladbroke Grove.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

That pretty cool, might go for there and then beers at the Craft Beer Co sometime.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Cask is nearer Victoria but is all kinds of awesome. Out of your way though...

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Has Duke's Brew & Cue been mentioned ITT? I really want to go. Sounds like my kinda place.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

What's the best greasy spoon in zones 1-2?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

BlueGrot posted:

So I'll be in London for a weekend in November. Want to try getting a table at Burger & Lobster, but I'm also looking for a good fish & chips place. Preferably near Kensington. Any advice?

Edit: Indian food recommendations also wanted.

Edit 2: All recommendations wanted. My last trip to London was exquisite dining and this time I want good pig out spots as well.

Indian pig-out that's actually nice? Can't go wrong with the oft-repeated Tayyaabs.

I'm of the opinion that you can't get decent fish and chips in London. I'm not even English but I think that, and my Northern friends agree. That said, the fish and chips at the White Horse SW6 (Sloany Pony) looked pretty drat impressive the last time I was there, though they do funny things with their chips. The beer selection is ace though. Hit me up if you want to go there, I'll gladly drink (with a fellow brewer no less).

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Brewdog Shoreditch is due to have a Japanese food stall thing as a concession. Going by how they didn't pull punches on their burgers and pizzas at Camden I'm looking forward to trying it.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

powertoiletduck posted:

I didn't realise Mason and Taylor had closed

A lot of the staff apparently stayed on. Eh, can't say I mourn it - I never ventured there in the first place. Sort of the wrong end of town for me. But going by the nibbles being circulated last night the food is... a combination of pub stodge with Japanese flourishes (tempura and things). Not something I would go there specifically for. The beer is likely to be the same selection as in Camden, and that's an easier commute for me.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Mousepractice posted:

On the subject of takeaway (in the eating out thread, no less), is anyone else a fan of Kris Wines on York Way? If you're anywhere near Camden Road / Holloway / Kentish it's an important destination. They stock more amazing beers than you could hope to sample in one blurry, cirrhotic lifetime.

Kris wines is the reason me living anywhere near it would mean I would be broker and more cirrhotic than I am. Place is ace though some of the import stuff sits on the shelves too long and the hops die off. For that reason I wouldn't get Yellow Snow IPA from there for example.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

Past the plough is ben's canteen. Have a beer bloody mary.

This. A pint loving bloody mary. Plus the service is good. I would stumble there for a Sunday brunch much more if I could afford the drat thing, though.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

I need a pub recommendation.

Somewhere within striking distance of Paddington that does interesting/great beer. I know sweet FA about the area!

Actually, if anyone knows some less well known places in central that would be good for tanking up some out of towners who love belgian beer, that would be awesome as well.

The Dovetail in Jerusalem Passage gets rammed after work but is pretty decent for Belgian beer and reasonably out of the way to not attract huge crowds at other times.

Can't help you with Paddington though, really not my neck of the woods, sorry :/

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Raffles posted:

Tell me about street food and various food trucks/stalls/markets in London. I'm imagining loads of boutiquey, super-fashionable food vendors in place of the usual burger vans you get up north. Is this the case?

I poo poo you not, the first time I noticed a burger van was when I almost walked into one near Waterloo Bridge on NYE. That's how rare they are. It's all about fixed carbon copy chicken shops of poo poo here.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Bollock Monkey posted:

I loooove this place, but apparently you can't book tables. It was my first choice until I found that out, but I want to avoid having to wander round Shoreditch trying to find somewhere if we get there and it's too busy.

Not formally you can't but I know people have had tables discreetly held for them. They require you to get there early for it though.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Hey so I am still undecided on where to take the family (including a pesky vegetarian) for my graduation dinner next week. Was thinking of Chez Bruce since they do a nice set of stuff but they've only got a super late seating.

I'm not a massive foodie; neither am I looking for a specific type of cuisine. I'd just like something nicer than average that me and the folks sitting down in suits would feel is a bit special.

I genuinely considered Hawksmoor for a bit but their non-meat menu is lacking.

I do not mind a (reasonable) queue, especially if there is a bar.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Neris posted:

Something like Zucca might be nice? Or Bocca Di Lupo? I find Italian is a good balance for things like this because they quite often will have some vegetarian salads and pastas which don't suffer from the lack of meat!

( Congrats on your graduation dude, btw )

Thanks. Thing is, I'm not feeling Italian, like, at all. It just doesn't feel special (even if it is, don't get me wrong). Plus, for my undergrad graduation we did Italian. :P

...having just found out that the Air Street Hawksmoor have an extensive seafood menu and looks like something out of 1970s New York even more than the other 2 I've been to, I pulled the trigger on a reservation. 11 bourbons here I come.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah I'd second the Meantime Old Brewery, though their own beers are a bit hit and miss. Go for the IPA rather than the Meantime Pale. Goes well with various things on the menu.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Pub cats rule.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

decent American beer selection.

Sam Adams lager, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Blue Moon and Odell porter? I guess that's covering the types of beer pretty well but poo poo the bed, that's not "decent".

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

They have more than that. I had an Arrogant Bastard smoked porter there last time.

Spuckuk posted:

Yeah, depanding on when you go there thay can have a lot of extra microbrews, I've had bottle of Dogfish Head and the like.

And gently caress it, I like Sierra Nevada with my hilariously large piles of meat.

OK fair enough. I was in the Tower Hill one last and they had exactly what it said on the menu.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The only Ethiopian you need is Gojo in Ladbroke Grove.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

gender illusionist posted:

L'Entrepot in Hackney (I think) if you want some great wine and good food in a relaxed/vibrant kinda place.
There was a great place I went to quite a while ago now at one end of Broadway market (near the canal) but I can't remember the drat name. Anyway, it was great food, great cocktails, great music and great decor. In summary, great.

Off Broadway, I bet.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

gender illusionist posted:

South end of Broadway Market.

No, I meant the bar called that

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Thing is, with the maximum limit on contactless, you can't buy a horrendously expensive round with one.

Or you can always take a bag of cider with you...

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Out of the craft beery places, only Cask pub and kitchen and the brewdog bars do any food aside from meat-heavy snacks that are pretty drat anti-kosher.

Fake edit: The Old Red Cow has a constantly changing menu and a half dozen good UK micros on draft, alongside continental and other stuff. Also, it's a drat cosy bar.

For craft beer elsewhere, you can't go wrong with the Craft Beer Companies (and Cask) and Euston Tap.

Kernel brewery do an open morning on Saturdays, Redchurch are open Thursday nights and Camden Town brewery Thu-Sat. Also a shameless little plug for the Cock tavern in hackney, with its attendant microbrewery, Howling Hops, on site. No food aside from pork pies though, but worth a visit.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at May 23, 2013 around 22:24

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Yes (The Old Brewery) but I find it overpriced and the beer not that great.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Doom Bar, being Sharp's, being MillerCoors, is the definition of what is not craft, though.

I'll grant you there's good ale to be had in London, and your list is pretty much the who's who of where to find decent cask in the city (I'd add Holborn Whippet if you're in the neighbourhood) but a lot of it is pretty bland...

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

angor posted:

I'm still really butthurt that Mason and Taylor shut down. They had tons of awesome stuff on tap.

I hear really good things about this place: http://www.thenorthpolepub.co.uk/beer.html
I haven't been personally, but I've been told it's an excellent place to get your hands (mouth) on some great beer. There's also The Rake at Borough Market.

The North Pole is lovely, as is the Earl of Essex. Worth going. I'd say that the NP, EoE and the Hops and Glory are the most like what M&T were like. Pricy, though, but then again everywhere seems to be...

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

by.a.teammate posted:

TL:DR - where to eat with good meat thats a little bit special

Have you not been to Duke's yet?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

by.a.teammate posted:

I saw a pretty damming review of this place, is it good?

Frankly, excellent. Run by people who genuinely care, plus with beer specifically brewed to complement the dishes. Hella better than Bodean's.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Dad wants to go get pub grub while we're here. What's everyone's favorite places 'round EDIT: Shoreditch? I've got the suggestions from earlier, as well.

Well and Bucket.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

powertoiletduck posted:

Best pub in that area is the Fox and Anchor (http://www.foxandanchor.com) by a considerable margin - does a mean fish and chips as well.

I've never even heard of that place. So confused. So I'll chuck in a vote for the Old Red Cow, who have great beer and a seriously varied menu.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

It's Burger Day or something today, isn't it?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Way too excited for the best Ethiopian food tonight.

Gojo, Ladbroke Grove, if you ask.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Convexed posted:

We're looking for a new watering hole around London to go to this weekend? What's a good shout? Emphasis on lots of decent beers...

Been to any of the Craft Beer Company pubs?

The Old Red Cow has lovely beers and a good area upstairs (the downstairs is tiny).

Euston Tap's selection is unparalleled but I was there last Saturday morning and it's fairly smelly again.

The Cock Tavern is in Hackney and has, what, 10 keg taps and 8 cask taps, all fairly carefully selected or brewed on site.

edit: Also BrewDog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Southampton Arms is ace but it's very narrow mostly, and the beer garden for overspill shuts at 10 to let the neighbors sleep.
Owned by the same guy who owns the Cock Tavern so similar vibe.

«3 »