Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
The new BrewDog pub in Camden does excellent burgers. I had the Milwaukee (pork and herbs, pickles, sauerkraut) and it was fantastic, and an ok price too. The beer selection is fantastic, too, as you'd expect.

After mentioning this on Twitter, someone recommended I check out Lucky Chip in Netil Market (E8) for good burgers. Has anyone been?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

reality_groove posted:

Went to Ed's easy diner. Food was OK, waiting staff acted how someone trapped in a 1950's nightmare would act. Shakes are the only thing worth going for really.

I went to Ed's in Soho once, horribly hung over on a Sunday afternoon, and the barman told me about how he was still right that minute climbing out of a K-hole. Good times. Their burgers are passable, and the baked cheesecake is pretty good.

On the burgers front, I still want to go to Lucky Chip in Hackney.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

Help me GWS!

I need somewhere to take the missus out tonight, prefereably anywhere between finchley and central london, or anywhere in central really. The only qualiriers are:

Preferably under 30 a head
Not asian food (I've been driving her spare cooking it all week after doing a mammoth chinatown shop)

I'd personally prefer something like tapas..

I went to tapas place Navarros on Charlotte St a few years ago and remember it being good. http://www.navarros-tapas-london.co.uk/ Looks like the right kind of price range too maybe?

Report back wherever you end up going, though! :)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I had lunch at Tajima-Tei on Leather Lane today, and it was very good! I don't think what we had is on their online menu, sorry, but it was all fabulous - we went for two assortments of sushi and sashimi, at about £15 each (it's not the cheapest place), and the quality was excellent. The tuna was oily in a good way, the mackerel was unforgettable. The restaurant was full of Japanese people which is always pretty telling.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

MrNemo posted:

To beg my fellow goons, my cousins are coming to stay in London next week and want to organise a general family relatives sit down dinner somewhere near where they're staying in Aldgate. I know there are a ton of interesting restaurants within not too far of where there but has anyone got any particular recommendations for nice restaurants for older aunts and uncles to come along to?

If you like curry, Tayyabs on Fieldgate St is widely acknowledged as one of the best curry houses in London. The sizzling tandoori/grilled starters are cheap and delicious. Their take on Pakistani cuisine is outstanding, and it's excellent value for money (and BYO with no corkage fee). Booking for large groups/at busy times is essential, though, and even then you will possibly have to wait for a little bit.

It's walking distance from Aldgate, or there are a ton of buses if you're feeling lazy/full.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

sweek0 posted:

As much as I like Tayyabs, it's really not a 'nice restaurant'. It's tightly packed, you may well have to queue even with a reservation, it's loud and they do kind of rush you and want you to leave your table when you're done.

If you're looking for something 'nice' in East London, have a look at the Corner room in Bethnal Green for example. Or St. John as already mentioned.

Eh, I've been there with large-ish groups and it's been fine. The downstairs bit is a lot quieter and less noisy. You can keep on ordering more and more dishes anyway :)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Oh, if you got around to posting that round-up of your culinary adventures in London, I'd love to read it :)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

If anyone wants pizza recs, my friend Michael is obsessed with pizza and has a blog chronicling his visits to London's pizzerias, kicking off with the top 25 as listed by Time Out a while back.

http://projectpizza.wordpress.com/

Also for coffee, I really like Fleet River Cafe just down Kingsway from Holborn station (turn left after the terrible Wetherspoons).

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I used to work at the British Museum :) Getting to explore the basement tunnels was fun, and the storehouse that the BM shares with a couple of other museums out in residential W London was a real trip - artifacts, curios, stuff 'n tings just piled 10 feet high in an enormous building with Fort Knox-style security. Ah, good times!

On-topic: I had a couple of good burgs recently. One at Rotary, the new pop-up place near Old Street. Big basket of fries, good juicy burger. My friend had the fish burger and said it was excellent. About £17 per head with a Coke, I think. Also, the kimchi burgers at Kimchi Cult at the Black Heart are fab. The chicken thigh burger was incredibly tasty (though I'd recommend adding hot sauce) and the sharing plate of fries topped with kimchi, beef slices, spring onions... mmm, heaven. Think burgers are ~£8, the sides from £5ish. And of course the Black Heart serves some great beers, too (check out the bottle menu!) and plays good music and is generally the best pub in Camden.

I'm not as keen on the new Brewdog burger menu, though. I miss my Milwaukee :(

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ineptmule posted:

Man, I've never even heard of the Blackheart, and I Camden used to be the only place we ever went to drink.

How long's it been open?

Since... last year maybe? It's about two minutes from the station - down the street round the back of the Natwest opposite the World's End. Has a dive bar vibe, a jukebox, pool table, booths, and a nice little gig venue upstairs. The toilets are hellish though. A small price to pay! Perfect for pre-/post-gig drinks.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

angelicism posted:

Sweet, thanks everyone for the help. I've been mostly craving proper dduk-bokki and bulgogi. Relatedly: is there any Korean/asian supermarket in central-ish London? At some point I'm going to need to bite the bullet and buy a rice cooker and a giant fuckoff bag of rice because I'm too Korean not to have these things. :D

No idea if it's authentic, but I liked the bulgogi fries at Kimchi Cult at the Black Heart. (Repeating my recommendation from above because I looove the Black Heart.)

Re afternoon tea: The classic is at the Ritz but it's gonna cost you! The recently reopened Savoy might be worth a look? (Also £££ but eh. it's a once in a lifetime type thing.)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Not London but if any of you happen to head over to Nottingham, go to the Navigation pub, featuring Annie's Burger Shack. Best burger I have ever had, I think. (I went for the Jamie special - burger covered with pulled pork, red leicester and salsa, with spicy Cajun wedges on the side.)

Make sure to get there early - when we left, at 7.30ish, there was a 2 hour+ wait for food. It's that good.

In London, I still think the Kimchi Cult burgers at the Black Heart win out for me. The chicken thigh one in particular is great. Dirty Burger was alright but a bit underwhelming, likewise Meat Liquor. Rotary was pretty good.

E: petition to rename this thread "Where to eat in London, England: My favourite no-reservations pop-up burger joint is better than yours"

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 25, 2013

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Oh hey here's a burger place for us all *not* to go to: http://thethirdestate.net/2013/06/a-victory-against-hipster-colonialism-the-advisory-removes-its-asian-womens-advisory-service-sign/

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

corkskroo posted:

Oh no I don't want to contribute to the extinction of eels. I'll make due with another pie in that case.

I just missed Tubby Isaac's anyway.

I went to a super trad pie and mash place in Lewisham ages ago. Fully tiled interior, Formica tables, terrifying waitresses, the works. Can't remember what it was called though.

Here's a nifty little piece on pie and mash places in SE London. http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/lewisham/11071032.Five_of_the_best_pie_and_mash_shops_in_south_east_London_and_north_Kent/

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Graduation lunch with parents/partner next week, probably around 1.30 on a weekday. Suggestions for good places near Russell Square/Bloomsbury?

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I'll always recommend the Black Heart in Camden (2 minutes from Camden Town tube), as it's a great pub with interesting beers and ciders. Bonus if you like rock/metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I miss working near an Abokado for lunch options. The salmon teriyaki rice edamame salad was the best.