Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I will be in London in early June attending a conference at the Olympia and I have to take a train from Euston Station after dinner at one point.

Are there any hole-in-the-wall places in those areas that serve food that doesn't take ages to come? Olympia and surroundings lunch tips would be appreciated, plus I need to get dinner near Euston station, where my train leaves at 20:30 on a Thursday, if it matters what weekday it is (for food carts etc.).

I loved Pie Minister's pies and similar "British" food is definitely appreciated. A recommendation where to get some "good" jellied eel would be nice. It is supposedly awful but I want to try it anyway. (This one is not area specific, can be anywhere really.)

And is Trinity Wharf a good place to get dinner? I want to go see the lighthouse anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That pizza looks fantastic and proper curry is always good as well.

I won't be in a hurry per se, but I'd rather not spend 2 hours dining. I'd just like to make the most of the time I have to take in the city, I just love roaming the streets in London and discovering new stuff every time I am there.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That's a bit ridiculous to be honest. I experienced this between London and Wigan.
Here in Germany an expensive beer (0.5l as is usual in Bavaria) in Munich is about 4 €, the average is 3.20 I think. I don't think I have seen beer under 2.50 € anywhere in Germany, so the price varies nowhere near as much over here.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

£60 for 2 G&Ts and 2 Old Fashioned's inc service. Dear is right. Nice bar though.

:britain:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
By sheer luck and knowing the right people, my stay in London in June has changed and I will be spending my 3 nights in a very fancy 5 star hotel in Mayfair.
However, I don't want/can't to afford paying for dinner in that hotel and know next to nothing about that area in terms of eating. Are there any reasonable chippies and other takeaway/sit-in joints in the area to grab dinner?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Mayfair is highend London at its highest endest. BUT luckily London is very very walkable and you can be in cheaper bits in less than 5 minutes.

I suspected as much. Luckily I a) won't be paying for the hotel and b) won't be in that area a lot as I am attending a conference at the Olympia and on my way back can drop by Queensway/Bayswater subway where I know several places to eat at.

sweek0 posted:

You wouldn't want to be eating in the average hotel restaurant anyway, not even in Mayfair. But you're not far away from Soho which is full of cheaper and mid-priced restaurants that are good.

I have only been in Soho once really, I associate it with theaters mostly. I may actually have to explore that area a bit more. Thanks for the tip.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Heard good things about Meat Liquor's burgers, though on the one occasion I went there I had a chicken burger, which was incredible so I could believe the rest of the menu is up to that. I also have a great fondness for Five Guys, and I've had recommendations for Kua 'Aina off Carnaby Street.

I made a note of Kua Aina and Meat Liquoir for next week, Meat Liquor is the one one Welbeck street right? Any difference to MEATmarket in Jubilee hall or are they interchangeable?

Also want to see Canary wharf this time, and if possible grab a bite and enjoy it in cross rails roof garden, which I heard is fantastic. Any tipps on good sandwiches or on the go food in that area or what to avoid?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It sounded like it was worth seeing on the way to/from Trinity Buoy Wharf? Is it that bad?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Last question before my trip: The buddy I am going to London with would like to know whether there is something "unusual" we could find in London.
Not modernist cuisine cucumber soup balls in tomato foam with liquid pizza or deep-fried mars bars, rather something rare to find, like Peruvian guinea pig or genuinely good but rare to find Asian, for example Nepali or Tibetan or Caribbean takeaway or something.
Comedy option: is there a Bavarian restaurant in London?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Been to Kua' Aina yesterday, had a cheeseburger with fried egg on top, a drat tasty burger. The sweet potato fries were tasty, but too thin and too few. Still a good eat.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I'll be in London again for 3 days. Where do I go for a good curry in terms of a takeout/smaller place not a full blown restaurant?

Also, we want to explore the areas west of Kensington, so if there is anything there that's worth a sample in terms of street food/take away or snacks, let me know.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Nvm. Misato is off the table.

Had Fish and chips at K&M in Kensington. Fish great, chips mediocre, and the Tartar sauce had a distinct whiff of what I would call nail polish remover and my buddy dubbed "model glue", tartar sauce clearly isn't for us.

Also breakfast at The May Fair Hotel is awesome if a bit pricey at 32£ pp.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 6, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Misato: We decided to get takeaway from Misato to avoid queuing and instead eat in our hotel room with a friend joining us.
Since we had 3 hungry to feed we decided to order several things: a grilled mackerel dish, breaded chicken curry, ginger pork bento, sashimi bento, a cold udon dish, seafood dumplings, avocado maki and edamame beans. (A steal at 42£)

We were unable to find Misato on deliveroo or other services and
I went past the place in the early afternoon anyway, so I decided to go in and ask about pre-ordering to pick up at 7.45 pm. The staff was super friendly and took my order, asked whether I wanted to pay in advance or later and the entire process was super smooth.

When we came to pick up my food there was a pretty long queue outside that proved our takeaway decision right. We cam in exactly at 7.45 and when the guy behind the counter saw me coming he waved and got my order that had already been set aside. (You could tell it was done on point as it was all piping hot still).

Long story short. Among 3 hungry men we ate all dishes but where unable to finish all the rice. The food was great and my friend who had been to Japan before says it was genuine, non-europeanized Japanese food, which I don't doubt but can't verify myself as I have never been there.

We will definitely keep this place in mind for our next visit.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
"Hate" means something must have been really off, care to elaborate? Was service poor, was the food bad? I can't say anything on the service when eating at the place obviously and our food was great, so I'd be interested why your experience differed so wildly, I personally haven't had a single bad experience whenever I followed tips from the Where to eat threads.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

ineptmule posted:

No love for Kanada-Ya ITT? Best ramen I’ve had in London hands down.

Somebody here recommended them to me 2 years ago when there was only 1 place. We went there and queued up for 15 mins. The ramen was amazing and I plan to go again when I go to London in June.

That said: Is there anything new (opened in last year) that's a must try in terms of streetfood/low key eating in London?

Has anyone of you ever eaten at the Indian YMCA? It came up as a "secret London thing to do" in some website but I am not sure it would hold up.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 2, 2018

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The time has come. Flying to London on Monday till Thursday. I did some research and have some things I want to do/eat, but I am still looking for tips on these, ideally near Circle or Jubilee line:

- a real pub (no chain stuff) with good pub grub at reasonable prices

- a good place to just stroll and check out street food/low key dining other than Covent garden market/Mayfair/chinatown area

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I will check Bagel Bake, I had Brick lane bagel shop on my list so I was gonna try to get there anyway.
Haloumi fries? Any pointers whereabouts that is, it sounds amazing. I will walk up ajd down the street for that if need be

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Been to Kanada-Ya for dinner, the one next to the Odeon at Picadilly. Tonkotsu X is still a drat good ramen. Then had a sesame red bean bun in Chinatown for desert. All in all a good start. Tomorrow is probably golden Union for dinner than some drinking in Mayfair.

Wednesday still undecided, either a trip to Grenwich or Neasden Temple in the afternoon, then Ye olde Cheshire Cheese if time permits

Thursday lunch will be Brick Lane/Leather Lane.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Golden Union was okayish. Kerbisher&Malt is way better. Fish was okay, fries were meh and gravy was forgettable. Not impressed sadly.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
We had dinner at the Indian YMCA today. They serve a set menu in their dining hall which is open to all for 9£. It was great food, a mix of 3 dofderent mains (veggie curry, beans, chicken curry, naan, a soup, desert, tea).

Wasn't fancy of course but tasted amazing.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Not quite England, but I’m in Dublin for a couple days - any suggestions on places to eat? Irishy stuff ideally, tho if that’s better found elsewhere that’s fine too.

Bojum Burritos has several places now and it is great lunchtime stuff but it is obviously not irish.

For something Irish try The Boxty house, I can't remember the adress but it's a short walk from Ha'penny Bridge. A boxty is like a pancake with savory filling.

And do yourself a favour and take the commuter train to Hoath. It takes 30 mins or so and is a really nice coastal town with tons of fish restaurants. I recommend The Oar House on the pier. Pun included.
(if you have time, walk one of the cliffpaths, they vary in length, are easy to follow and the view is gorgeous).

Generally always check if the places have an early dinner menu. Usually that's from say 3pm to 5 pm or so and is significantly cheaper. Kinda like pre-theather deals in London.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My stomach weeps for you.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I've had dinner at Dishoom in Shoreditch today. They said the wait would be an hour but it was maybe 35 minutes.

The food was great. Had the Chicken Tikka, Jackfruit Byriani and black Daal, with Dishoom Slaw and a Raita as side dishes.

It was well worth the wait and they are extremely friendly.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am going to see The Mousetrap in St. Martin's theater on a Saturday. Do you guys have any tips for a pre-theatre dinner in the area? Nothing too fancy, preferably around 50 £ per person w/o drinks

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The Ivy looks nice and is literally.opposite like you said, thanks, I'll forward this to my friends as suggestion.

Is there any new food thing I should try while in London? Not bubble waffle hype like but maybe new place with awesome street food of x variety. Leather Lane food market is on the agenda anyway, plus a trip to Greenwich market.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I'll be in London next week for a few days, does anyone have Tipps regarding:

- which Chinese restaurant in or around Chinatown to go to? (or somewhere reasonably near, my Hotel is in Mayfair and I have no problem walking a bit or taking the tube if it is worth it). Doesn't have to be expensive, I'd rather have authentic everyday food than a fancy affair.

- where to eat near ExCel? Is there anything in that area worth trying or should I rather look elsewhere?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like the area around Excel is what I expected. I have been to Trinity buoy wharf to see the lighthouse before and that whole area was well... not too great.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, you recommended Misato to me some years ago and I have been 3 times now, I love it. Never had Chinese in London so far though, so one of those places you mentioned is going to be it. I know where 2 of those are, but only ever walked past. Gonna change that this time.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So many places, so few days...

The plan is tomorrow either Mei Mei/Chinatown, Monday Kanada Ya, Tuesday Chinatown/Mei Mei depending what I did Sunday, Wednesday reservation at Dishoom Canary Wharf and no idea if I can cram dinner in on Thursday before flying home.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
No haven't done the breakfast, but I am lucky to be staying at a really nice hotel with breakfast included.

Trip report: Day 1 was a mess, we decided to fly today instead of tomorrow so we would have an additional half day but nothing went our way. Problems with airport security lines, delayed flight, problems with the tube (track issue on district line interrupted) etc.

We arrived 2 hours late, checked in dumped our bags and immediately beeline for Mei Mei. Got lost trying to find it thanks to an idiot security guy who pointed us the absolutely wrong way. We found it 5mins before closing.

They were out of Curry but Hainanese chicken rice and Nasi Lemak were really good. We preferred the Chicken rice as it was the more coherent dish, the Nasi Lemak was tasty but felt lke a loosely assembled platter of things.

While we were eating Borough market closed down around us, bit of a shame as we haven't been there before.

We went to Kanada Ya for dinner, the Spicy Yuzu ramen is soooo good.

And we checked out the places in Chinatown for one of the other evenings. Since we are just 2 we will probably go for dumplings rather than four seasons. It looks great but also more of a group thing where you share a lot of dishes which isn't ideal for our small group.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Dishoom was fantastic, and thanks to a flight cancellation just an hour before we were going to the airport, we get to stay an extra night in London.

Dinner at Coco Ichibanya it is.

I am surprised to see there are only 2 Pie Minister left, and not in this area. Sad.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Was that Kua Aina or something similar? I went there a couple of years ago and the burger was great and unusual, mine had pineapple on it, shame they had to close.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Odd, their website is still up and mentions none of this. Are you sure they are not remodeling or something?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'd check back, Google says temporarily closed. Not sure how accurate Google opening times are, but you never know. It is definitely worth the detour to get one of their burgers if they open again.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Lady Gaza posted:

I’ve got an unexpected evening to myself tomorrow after a platelet donation near Oxford Circus, before I need to catch the train back to deepest darkest Kent.

Any recommendations around the west end or London Bridge area for places that:

-serve food reasonably quick
-are not too fancy
-are OK for a solo diner
-don’t require bookings
-aren’t Italian

?

Maybe £30-40 max total is what I wouldn’t mind spending. I was thinking gvof somewhere like Coco Ichibanya, that’s been on my list for a while. I also thought Shoryu but have been there a few times.

Coco Ichibanya is worth a visit if you like Japanese curry, as the Doctor said, alternatively I'd suggest Kanada-Ya Soho for Ramen.

With coco expect a queue though, we were 2 in June on a Thursday and had to wait for a good 25 minutes.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 7, 2023

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I just was unlucky then, m I was at the Leicester Square branch, apparently they also have a Bond street one in James Street.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
As a filthy tourist and repeat visitor, I can say Beigel Bake does awesome cream cheese bagels and the salt beef is also great.
Buy homestly, just go to both and compare.

One bagle for lunch, one bagle for dinner, then pick a winner.

Which rhymes and is therefore obviously the only correct option.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

There is so much great food to get in London, bagels are not amongst them.

I respect your opinion, however wrong it may be.

But the OP asked for bagels, why would we send them to Dishoom?
(Which is a 5 minute walk from Brick Lane OP, in case you suddenly crave indian food)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Kaiho posted:

That may be, but there's also the law that a woman may piss in a bobby's helmet.

Wait what? You can't just leave that unexplained like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

My favourite dim sum place in Chinatown, Wan Chai Corner has closed! :smith:

Ah poo poo, that's bad news. First the restaurant with the tiny takeaway bakery in the front and now this one. Shame.